Options

Ripper Street

Comments

• Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was good but a bit weird. Not really my thing this whole thing with the Goddess and whatnot, but I think in some odd way it showed more depth to Drake. Really, it was all about Drake and I don't think that was particularly a good thing as it sidelined Reid and the Yankee. It was a little Drake-heavy in my opinion.

I didn't think it showed his allegiance to his Colonel and his regiment well enough though to explain why he was so willing to go in with him when he did. I don't think enough has been done in previous episodes to show that side of Drake. He's always seemed very much on the side of 'good' although some may think his violence belies that. I think there needed to be more lead in to actually believe he'd 'turn' in that way.

Having said that, Faulkner was a very alluring character in a psychotic sort of way. It's just, Drake has always seemed stronger mentally. I think the pay rise thing and Reid's comments about Rose were meant to show us he was a bit peeved and more susceptible to persuasion, but I'm not sure i believe Drake would be swayed by that so easily.

I'm glad Drake has experienced this rather inevitable scene with Rose so he can move on. God, the little scene with him releasing the birds was gut wrenching. We've got such a capacity for love haven't we - and as a result we have to experience the worst of heartbreaks. And yet, we carry on, and love some more...
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is turning into a quality series. Ian Glenn was superb but the character was incredibly well written. And who knew Jerome Flynn was such a good actor!

One tiny nitpick - burglarised?
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snork wrote: »
    Disagree with a lot of the detractors of this episode. I think the series is going from strength to strength. It's about time we got some backstory on the characters. I loved Jackson this evening at turns funny, infuriating and tender.

I feel that Drake and Jackson do have something in common now. Seems they've both been left broken hearted.

I agree with u 100% this show dose seem to get better with each episode. Got to say wel done to BBC they have lots of great things on a Sunday this, CTM and now Top Gear
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    That American character is totally pointless and irritating IMO.

He's only in it because it's a BBC America co-production I think.

As a programme it's reasonably entertaining but nothing special.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »

That fact you said it's entertaining is or that matters as I don't remember anyone saying it was something special.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good to see a series that although is a murder orientated show break away from that and go with another violent crime.
  • Options
    snorksnork Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »

It was my fear at the beginning that Jackson was a token American to make it appeal more to the US market, but my fears have been allayed. The actor works very well with what little is given him.

I think they will all get turns at a character centric episode. At least I hope so.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and 'raise' - I thought that was American - and were coppers called 'pig' that far back?
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    and 'raise' - I thought that was American - and were coppers called 'pig' that far back?

Just found this -

"The OED cites an 1811 reference to a "pig" as a Bow Street Runner"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is turning into a quality series. Ian Glenn was superb but the character was incredibly well written. And who knew Jerome Flynn was such a good actor!

A quick bit of internet research says the word was first used in 1871 which is about the right timescale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »

A quick google suggests that referring to police as pigs came from the fact that Sir Robert Peel bred pigs, so it's been around since well before the time of Ripper Street.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always seems to be the people who post while the episode is on who don't "get" it and think it's not much good. Coincidence?

Good episode imo - a bit different, and interesting to find out some more about Drake. Poor Drake! I hope he finds a nice, respectable girl who will enjoy making his dinner and warming his slippers. :)

I agree with the posts about Hobbs. Reid should be nicer to him as without him nothing would get done. I fear one day he will go mad with overwork and go on a killing spree.

"Burglarised" and other words stuck out like sore thumbs. Reid would have said "robbed".

Edit: Just seen snork's post - I'm wrong about burglarised, then. :D
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick bit of internet research says the word was first used in 1871 which is about the right timescale.

In the US possibly but it's always been 'burgled' in the UK.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knew that Jerome Flynn would turn out to be such a good actor?

The episode was patchy in parts but I was so impressed with his performance. The mixture of tenderness and brutality. *sob*
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference is ripper street is much more entertaining. Have you seen Mr Sel it's really is boring

I'd say Ripper Street is the superior show - but it's still flawed. However, it doesn't have the cringeworthy story-telling that Mr S has - in spades - or the unintentional comedy that is really the only reason to keep watching.

And, BTW, I don't feel everything should be written for me and only me ... :rolleyes:;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the US possibly but it's always been 'burgled' in the UK.

I dont think so. There are two spelling variants of the word ise and ize. English and American. This suggests it was used both sides of the Atlantic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think so. There are two spelling variants of the word ise and ize. English and American. This suggests it was used both sides of the Atlantic.

Googling suggests that burgled is more common but burglarised can also be used. It's a word that really sticks out so I think they are most likely using it correctly, it just sounds anachronistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    Googling suggests that burgled is more common but burglarised can also be used. It's a word that really sticks out so I think they are most likely using it correctly, it just sounds anachronistic.

It probably was never popular usage but they seem to be going for slightly florid language to make it seem more Victorian. I dont mind that at all though because one of my favourite shows was Deadwood. Shakespeare in the wild west.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I'd say Ripper Street is the superior show - but it's still flawed. However, it doesn't have the cringeworthy story-telling that Mr S has - in spades - or the unintentional comedy that is really the only reason to keep watching.

And, BTW, I don't feel everything should be written for me and only me ... :rolleyes:;)

Mr. S would be much better if Piven would not always speak with his arms raised. It's like he's a puppet.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Drake. I loved that the episode centred on him this week. We all knew this whole Rose thing was going to end badly. Reid really doesn't appreciate him, or show his appreciation enough. He's a far far more interesting characters than Reid, I think.

I like 'the American' and I don't think hes just there for the American viewers *eyeroll* I'm expecting (hoping) we'll get an episode focused on him so we get some backstory there too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    Poor Drake. I loved that the episode centred on him this week. We all knew this whole Rose thing was going to end badly. Reid really doesn't appreciate him, or show his appreciation enough. He's a far far more interesting characters than Reid, I think.

I like 'the American' and I don't think hes just there for the American viewers *eyeroll* I'm expecting (hoping) we'll get an episode focused on him so we get some backstory there too.

I'm noticing Reid doesn't appreciate anyone very much. Hobbs did half the detective work today and saved the papers in the jailhouse smokebomb. Yet Reid just grabbed the papers and left-not even a Good Job. He's not going to win Boss of the Year!
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I avoided this for the first three episodes, because the trailers suggested a lot of anachronistic, 'Victorianised' English. I've since caught up with all the eps, and yes, some of the language makes me want to scream with frustration, but the acting is first rate and the pace and tension is kept up with vigour.

To me, it seems that McFadyen's Reid is the anchor. He really does that driven, determined Victorian thing superbly.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was really good tonight. I actually could see Drake could have been drawn in by Faulkner - Faulkner was obviously a man he'd admired, and they'd been through things together that Reid hadn't. And having his pay rise turned down and Reid's comments on Rose would have made him resentful, so for a while, it was easy for him to see Reid through Faulkner's eyes.

The Doctor wasn't the most sensitive either. Buttered bun? How did he think Drake would react to that?
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did police officers really negotiate their pay on an individual basis with their immediate superiors in those days, or was there just a standard pay scale?
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Did police officers really negotiate their pay on an individual basis with their immediate superiors in those days, or was there just a standard pay scale?

Does it matter?

I doubt there were HR departments so it probably was like this.