Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the Pagini's wing mirrors ruined its lines, they looked like an aftermarket bolt on.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    I thought that the new Pagani was much less attractive then the old but thanks to TG for letting me know. The Bentley and reasonably priced star didn't grab my attention. That left the P45, a rehash of a very good earlier venture. Apart from liking the "I can't understand a word you're saying" joke it didn't work for me. So all in all a pretty dreary start.

Just what I thought.

PJ
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Clarkson said they'd changed everything, I actually felt quite excited. It was disappointing to see exactly the same formula. How long is it since there's been a new feature?

And why did they bother with SIARPC, in those conditions? Poor Damian Lewis.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    When Clarkson said they'd changed everything, I actually felt quite excited. It was disappointing to see exactly the same formula. How long is it since there's been a new feature?

And why did they bother with SIARPC, in those conditions? Poor Damian Lewis.

They made it clear that it was a lie and nothing had changed after the montage of clips.

Agree it was a pointless SIARPC segment, everyone should do it under the same conditions, I'm sure the stars would prefer to as well even if it clashes with their schedules!
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    And the Pagini's wing mirrors ruined its lines, they looked like an aftermarket bolt on.

Just about about to say the same,put me off from buying it.:D
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,236
    Forum Member
    Top Gear is still popular with audiences whether you like it or not - 5.29m (18.1%) for yesterday. Beat ITV in the 8pm hour apparently. Barely anyone at my school watched it (and we're talking about teenagers) purely because they forgot it was on :D
  • Options
    flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't they just god-awful?!? I couldn't believe one of them didn't mention it. It just made an otherwise stunning piece of machinery look a bit tacky and cheap imo. Not that I'm in the market for one anyway...

I really enjoyed the show last night, so glad to have it back. Was good to see Damian Lewis, although felt really sorry for him being the slowest ever lap time. They should have invited him back to re-do it when the weather is better, but I guess he'll be filming Season 3 of Homeland by then. Ah well.

I knew James would mention the Dacia Sandero in the news bit too :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Scrubber wrote: »
    The P45 part was hilarious (apart from the Dragons Den segment)
    gomezz wrote: »
    The worst thing about this episode is that I can no longer say I have never seen any Dragon's Den. :(

Agree. I can't stand those (self-editing of a ferocious expletive - in plural).

I wonder what Jeremy bought James from Ann Summers... :D
    I liked it. I'm a girl. Deal with that, Daily Mail.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vegas Trip this week.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Nicola_T wrote: »
    Agree. I can't stand those (self-editing of a ferocious expletive - in plural).

I wonder what Jeremy bought James from Ann Summers... :D
    I liked it. I'm a girl. Deal with that, Daily Mail.

LOL, I forgot that bit, although we do know James is VERY skilled with the condoms and the Vaseline from the South america trip :)
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flyingv wrote: »
    Weren't they just god-awful?!? I couldn't believe one of them didn't mention it. It just made an otherwise stunning piece of machinery look a bit tacky and cheap imo.
    Glad i'm not the only one that thought that the first time I saw it! Reminded me of the wing mirror extenders some people need to use when towing a caravan. I think the only reason none of them mentioned anything about it, not even JC :eek:, was simply because it was a Pagani........and to say anything bad would have been sacrilegious! Had it been a 'normal' family car it was have come in for a right roasting from JC!

The P45 was hilarious though the original Peel episode was better.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There was nothing new. Same old and they admitted that themselves.

I didn't mind the VTs but thought each one was a third longer than it could have been. Thought during each bit "isn't this bit over yet".

I thought the best part was the news, followed by Lewis managing to get his car around the track, followed by TG Totty Watch.

So enjoyed about 2/3 of it overall.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    If you don't like something and therefore seemingly don't watch it, why are you commenting on it? The least you can do is watch the programme that you say is shit (though of course, if you think something was shit however many months/years ago that doesn't mean it's shit now). Feel free to make constructive criticism without making childish comments, if you watch it. If you don't watch it, you have no reason to comment on it, because you haven't got a clue as to what you're even commenting on.
    I agree with this, although I got the impression the poster referred to did watch it. I don't mind the negative criticism, it's when they come back over and over again each week to say it's rubbish is where I find the comments pointless.
    Being an avid viewer of Top Gear and Dragon's Den, I'm falling about the place in laughter.
    Same here, like both programmes, loved the mix of the two! I also agree with the comment that the P45 segment ran on a bit longer than need be (I think the programme even ended a couple or so minutes late too), but it was a good start to the series all round. Nice to see Damian Lewis and had to love the line from May about Hammond's 'Toad' outfit, I was also applauding him for it! :D
    Liam_C wrote: »
    I was watching it on iplayer, and noticed that the dragons called the idea 'shit' Jeremy also gestured the 'Nescafé handshake' on the road... Was this aired before 9pm last night? If so how did they get away with it... I'm not complaining I enjoyed it, just seems close to the mark for 8pm on a Sunday night...
    I was wondering that, I half expected to see an article in the tabloid today detailing how many had complained!!
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TG may be its own worst enemy. The show has a successful formula and is very successful both at home and abroad

Looking at the montage at the start looks like this series is going to be more of the same old same old. How many times can we watch Clarkson screaming about the track in a 500bhp merc or ferrari. Then again if it aint broke..............

Personally I could do without the guys driving cars that cost silly money and can do 200 mph. Last time I looked 70 was top speed limit in UK. How many folks take cars abroad to thrash them or race days to thrash them there. maybe i am just getting old but would like to see more stuff on normalish cars
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard reading too much into that children's book was also hilarious :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    I think the programme even ended a couple or so minutes late too

It ran for 62 minutes 18 seconds according to iPlayer.

Am I the only one who noticed that they changed the subtitles around when someone swore? Damian said 'pissed' and the subtitles said 'kissed'. Theo said 'shit' and the subtitles said 'chit' :D
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,637
    Forum Member
    TG always overruns the published schedule just like The One Show always starts early. If only they published the *actual* schedule. :(
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola_T wrote: »
    I liked it. I'm a girl.

If you are a pretty girl with long blonde hair, you can stand behind the presenters !! :D:D

The constant over running is annoying, even when SKY+HD'd. :mad::mad:

I had to resort to an On Demand download to see the last couple of minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stigid wrote: »
    If you are a pretty girl with long blonde hair, you can stand behind the presenters !! :D:D

I Sky+HD'd off BBCHD and had no problems with the recording cutting off. Are you using the standard auto padding ?
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I Sky+HD'd off BBCHD and had no problems with the recording cutting off. Are you using the standard auto padding ?

Yes.... but.......

I was also recording two other programmes at 9pm !!

Same problem on Freeview HD and SD PVR's

I haven't watched Prof Cox HD "Wonders of Life" yet, the end of TG may be on there, as it's the same HD Channel.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the new Pagani was pretty ugly, with it's fish eyes.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

It finished after Ripper Street had started on BBC1. Luckily I had set the video to record Ripper Street, but I don't usually record things that I'm home for.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Stigid wrote: »

I noticed her behind JC too and the dark haired one with a Fur wrapped round her...she was behind Damian.

I recorded this too, but manually stopped it at 9, because I was recorded two other shows, so also missed the end.....which didn't really bother me, because I was FF JC's sketch....Hamster bit at the start was a FF moment too.

Did like the Bentley on the Rally Stage with James and the Star on a Snowy Airfield.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    owl61uk wrote: »
    TG may be its own worst enemy. The show has a successful formula and is very successful both at home and abroad

Looking at the montage at the start looks like this series is going to be more of the same old same old. How many times can we watch Clarkson screaming about the track in a 500bhp merc or ferrari. Then again if it aint broke..............

Personally I could do without the guys driving cars that cost silly money and can do 200 mph. Last time I looked 70 was top speed limit in UK. How many folks take cars abroad to thrash them or race days to thrash them there. maybe i am just getting old but would like to see more stuff on normalish cars

You totally miss the point. Who wants to see a road test of a Ford Fiesta? Oh hang on a minute, perhaps if it's driven onto a beach during a Royal Marines assault :)

Or some poxy Renault hatchback, unless say it's driven upside down in a sewer drain...oh hang on :)

No one really wants to see ordinary road cars do they? Even 5th Gear gave up on that and started doing Top Gear like stunts (badly)

I can't afford an 800K car but I don't care, I love those bits as much as I love it when they buy a piece of crap for £1500.

I like TG as much for the banter between the three of them (which other than the news last night we didn't see) as for what they get up to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You totally miss the point. Who wants to see a road test of a Ford Fiesta? Oh hang on a minute, perhaps if it's driven onto a beach during a Royal Marines assault :)

Or some poxy Renault hatchback, unless say it's driven upside down in a sewer drain...oh hang on :)

No one really wants to see ordinary road cars do they? Even 5th Gear gave up on that and started doing Top Gear like stunts (badly)

I can't afford an 800K car but I don't care, I love those bits as much as I love it when they buy a piece of crap for £1500.

I like TG as much for the banter between the three of them (which other than the news last night we didn't see) as for what they get up to.
    It must be annoying for a millionairre knowing that the only choice they have for a supercar is a Pagani, Knonisegg...., Veyron.

TG seem to do the same car reviews each series. Isn't there anything quirkier out of the ordinary out there that they can test drive?

I think some of the best were the old supercar challenges. Where they brought back to MF1 and F40 to compete against the new boys.
This discussion has been closed.