Options

Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the posh couple came over really well on tonight's show. Very good company at the evening meal at any rate. 'Such fun!'

The Wizard place was interesting and lovely from the outside but surely far too expensive. That couple are my other favourites so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    What another stunning part of the country tonight's B&B seemed to be located. I thought the accommodation looked gorgeous, reminded me of The Vicar of Dibley's house. I wasn't too keen on the price tag though, I'm not serving myself, with no cooked breakfast option for that kind of money, although i twas a good hamper, just not for me, I want to feel a bit looked after.
    Btw, that last part of my sentence is referring to customer service, not someone to sit opposite and look into their eyes kind of looked after.
    One half of that Blackpool couple seemed a bit moody to me, is moody the right word? I don't know, maybe temperamental.

Exactly what I thought. Very cosy and Tiggywinkleish.
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,796
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    This is the link to Julian's episode: http://bit.ly/X4eZnH
    My honest opinion is that the production team identify someone they think will make 'good telly' and manipulate that person into behaving like an idiot...

...he should have been savvy enough to know whatever he's persuaded to do is going to influence how the audience percieves him and his hotel. Unless they put a gun to his head, he's quite within his rights to say "no, I'm not doing/saying that - it's going to make me look a total ****".

Absolutely. They either thing Ahah, we've got a live one here!, something to play with - or they just let the participant row their own race.

I did think tonight's place looked 'cosy' and it's always good to hear that the guests slept well :)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...My honest opinion is that the production team identify someone they think will make 'good telly' and manipulate that person into behaving like an idiot - we saw it with Ben last week; Julian, Amanda and Katie (donkey-woman) are all prime examples from previous series.

There are two separate agendas at play in FIAB: the TV company who have an obligation to make programmes that people will watch, and the contestants who are there to get some publicity for their establishments, and thus hopefully boost business.

Most get it right and come across really well, some, however, fail present themselves in a positive manner, and do themselves and their businesses no favours in the long run.

Julian mentions Andrea in his TA response - quite possibly this week's Andrea - and how her 'pleasant experience' on FIAB wouldn't please the producers - but why should she please them? She's there to promote her business, not boost ratings for Channel 4.

OK, maybe Julian's right and he was set up by the TV company (though clearly other contetants don't feel this was the case for them); he should have been savvy enough to know whatever he's persuaded to do is going to influence how the audience percieves him and his hotel. Unless they put a gun to his head, he's quite within his rights to say "no, I'm not doing/saying that - it's going to make me look a total ****".

I'm very sorry to hear about Gill's daughter - that was tragic, expecially just before Christmas; however, it has no bearing on Julian's behaviour on FIAB.

If Julian was approached by the production team I can well believe its becouse they'd seen the trip adviser feedback and thought "we've got a right one here - lets get him on the show!". Over 2 weeks filming you don't have to make many "off" remarks to come over as a right pratt once they're distilled down into 2 hours. I think some of those that came over worst on FIAB have been very naive and probably watch little in the way of reality telly - in Julians case he seems a little autistic as did the Barrowby woman (not that I'm in any way qualified:o)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    If Julian was approached by the production team I can well believe its becouse they'd seen the trip adviser feedback and thought "we've got a right one here - lets get him on the show!". Over 2 weeks filming you don't have to make many "off" remarks to come over as a right pratt once they're distilled down into 2 hours. I think some of those that came over worst on FIAB have been very naive and probably watch little in the way of reality telly - in Julians case he seems a little autistic as did the Barrowby woman (not that I'm in any way qualified:o)

He did seem 'different'. I thought that but it's a hard thing to say or judge and on another level it's something which shouldn't be judged at all as it's largely out of a person's control. His wife seemed happy enough with him. There was quite a touching bit shown at the end at least and I'm sure they are fine as a couple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    [/B]
    That episode was repeated this weekend - they were on with Eileen, the cat lady. The female contestant at Chy Conyn was a bit bitchy about Eileen's place but Eileen put her in her place very succinctly. :p
    Anyone got a link to when Julian was on?

What, that young woman? They came last :p I hated her! :o:D

I thought that Conyn sounded Welsh, but it's no doubt Cornish which is similar in some ways.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,913
    Forum Member
    The Situation looks absolutely incredible and they both seem so lovely-I would kill to be at one of their Garden Parties ;) I didn't like today's, the DIY brekkie and ornaments would put me off, my own house is cluttered, I don't need it on holiday :P I have a funny feeling the blackpool guys are going to underpay for the two expensive ones massively-although it doesn't look like they'll win given the state of the place from the trailer so it'll be the sickly lovey couple probably-But I thought G! wouldn't win and I was pleasantly surprised :)
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 27,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    [/B]
    That episode was repeated this weekend - they were on with Eileen, the cat lady. The female contestant at Chy Conyn was a bit bitchy about Eileen's place but Eileen put her in her place very succinctly. :p
    Anyone got a link to when Julian was on?

Yes, I saw those yesterday. Jess was a right litle madam and definitely needed the slapping down she got from Eileen. But in retrospect, I think Eileen was a bit fierce. The couple from the pink hotel were clearly keen to keep on the right side of her!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the link to Julian's episode: http://bit.ly/X4eZnH

My honest opinion is that the production team identify someone they think will make 'good telly' and manipulate that person into behaving like an idiot - we saw it with Ben last week; Julian, Amanda and Katie (donkey-woman) are all prime examples from previous series.

There are two separate agendas at play in FIAB: the TV company who have an obligation to make programmes that people will watch, and the contestants who are there to get some publicity for their establishments, and thus hopefully boost business.

Most get it right and come across really well, some, however, fail present themselves in a positive manner, and do themselves and their businesses no favours in the long run.

Julian mentions Andrea in his TA response - quite possibly this week's Andrea - and how her 'pleasant experience' on FIAB wouldn't please the producers - but why should she please them? She's there to promote her business, not boost ratings for Channel 4.

OK, maybe Julian's right and he was set up by the TV company (though clearly other contetants don't feel this was the case for them); he should have been savvy enough to know whatever he's persuaded to do is going to influence how the audience percieves him and his hotel. Unless they put a gun to his head, he's quite within his rights to say "no, I'm not doing/saying that - it's going to make me look a total ****".

I'm very sorry to hear about Gill's daughter - that was tragic, expecially just before Christmas; however, it has no bearing on Julian's behaviour on FIAB.

I agree the TV company want to make the contestants disagreeable etc. But I don't think they were manipulated at all. Donkey woman engaged in a few forum spats, so nothing out of character there. Julian is still behaving like a prize prat on Tripadvisor and in the press.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Hotelier-s-awful-time-TV/story-16568353-detail/story.html

However, it's very sad news about Gill's daughter. How terrible for the family and her small children.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if I watched then or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I watched then or not.

You missed donkey woman?! :D:eek:
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    You missed donkey woman?! :D:eek:

I remember her very well, she was happy and lived on a donkey hill, well that's what the name of her B&B implied, but the reality? Well there was a donkey, there was a hill and there was most definitely a woman.......
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was the woman who was obsessed with mushrooms and had buried her husband in the grounds of her B&B under a mushroom headstone or something.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    I agree the TV company want to make the contestants disagreeable etc. But I don't think they were manipulated at all. Donkey woman engaged in a few forum spats, so nothing out of character there. Julian is still behaving like a prize prat on Tripadvisor and in the press.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Hotelier-s-awful-time-TV/story-16568353-detail/story.html

However, it's very sad news about Gill's daughter. How terrible for the family and her small children.

I must have missed that. What did she say?

Whatever argument people like Julian and Katie-donkey-woman put forward - they're adults, they run a business, and they're appearing on a TV show watched by x number of viewers: common sense alone (never mind good business sense!) would indicate they should moderate their behaviour.
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    The Situation looks absolutely incredible and they both seem so lovely-I would kill to be at one of their Garden Parties ;) I didn't like today's, the DIY brekkie and ornaments would put me off, my own house is cluttered, I don't need it on holiday :P I have a funny feeling the blackpool guys are going to underpay for the two expensive ones massively-although it doesn't look like they'll win given the state of the place from the trailer so it'll be the sickly lovey couple probably-But I thought G! wouldn't win and I was pleasantly surprised :)

Did I hear correctly that the Blackpool place is only £20 per night? Even if the Blackpool boys underpay massively, it will only take a couple of moderate overpayments from the other contestants to the Blackpool boys for them to come in well over 100%.

The low-priced places always have an advantage as it should be relatively easy to do well enough to get an overpayment compared to the higher priced places. Contestants who wouldn't normally dream of paying £100/£150/£200 aren't going to overpay, underpay perhaps but how would they justify say paying £170 for a room that's already priced at £150?

Perhaps the show needs to incorporate the feedback form scores, along wth the payments, into how the winner is calculated?
  • Options
    tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I wasn't too keen on the price tag though, I'm not serving myself, with no cooked breakfast option for that kind of money, although i twas a good hamper, just not for me, I want to feel a bit looked after.
    Btw, that last part of my sentence is referring to customer service, not someone to sit opposite and look into their eyes kind of looked after.

Looking on the Wizard's website, it appears no-one gets a hamper, just stuff in the fridge:

"Breakfast
    We are less than a minute from the village centre where there are a number of patesseries, cafes and coffee shops (including Costa Coffee) which open from 7.30am for breakfast. A Continental breakfast comprising croissants, butter jam, yogurt and fresh orange juice can be left in your fridge for an extra £5 per person. Please inform us if you require this breakfast. Full English breakfasts and sumptuous Continental breakfasts are available close by at The Alderley Edge Hotel. This award winning establishment is famed for its dining experience taken in The Alderley Edge Restaurant, an elegant conservatory with panoramic views across the Cheshire Plain.
    "

If I had paid nearly £200 for one night i would NOT want to go to the local cafe for a fry up!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    Who was the woman who was obsessed with mushrooms and had buried her husband in the grounds of her B&B under a mushroom headstone or something.

Mrs Tee:

http://www.wildmushrooms.co.uk/
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tynka bell wrote: »
    Looking on the Wizard's website, it appears no-one gets a hamper, just stuff in the fridge:

"Breakfast
    We are less than a minute from the village centre where there are a number of patesseries, cafes and coffee shops (including Costa Coffee) which open from 7.30am for breakfast. A Continental breakfast comprising croissants, butter jam, yogurt and fresh orange juice can be left in your fridge for an extra £5 per person. Please inform us if you require this breakfast. Full English breakfasts and sumptuous Continental breakfasts are available close by at The Alderley Edge Hotel. This award winning establishment is famed for its dining experience taken in The Alderley Edge Restaurant, an elegant conservatory with panoramic views across the Cheshire Plain.
    "

If I had paid nearly £200 for one night i would NOT want to go to the local cafe for a fry up!!!

I wonder how much more you would pay for your breakfast at an award winning establishment?
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Breakfast
    "

No way, It's a shame, because I loved the look of the accommodation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have missed that. What did she say?

Whatever argument people like Julian and Katie-donkey-woman put forward - they're adults, they run a business, and they're appearing on a TV show watched by x number of viewers: common sense alone (never mind good business sense!) would indicate they should moderate their behaviour.

TBH I can't remember for sure but I think she had a spat on the C4 comments site. Does anyone else remember?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thats her she was off her rocker her. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd like to see a week with

Mrs Tee - mushroom woman
    Eileen - cat woman
    Lynn & Ziggy - Mrs Blobby Woman
    Katie - Donkey woman
    or Kev from Marple!
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,244
    Forum Member
    I wonder how much more you would pay for your breakfast at an award winning establishment?

Full English £17.50 or £15.00 for a quick Continental
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Full English £17.50 or £15.00 for a quick Continental

But do you get it for that price only if you book a room?!

So you pay £195 for a night, then have to traipse up the road and pay another £17.50 to eat!
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,796
    Forum Member

"Breakfast
    ...croissants, butter jam, yogurt and fresh orange juice can be left in your fridge for an extra £5 per person...
    "

So not the croque monsieur, not the carton of fresh fruit salad either?
    May as well stop off at a Waitrose or M&S enroute and spend your tenner.

In the suite that sleeps 4 that'd be an extra £20 for breakfast then.
    And at luxury prices I don't want packaged stuff left in a fridge.

Is the Blackpool price per person per night or per room? :confused: I'm confused as prices quoted are normally per room, but surely that can't be the case if it's £20.
    Does anyone know? and are they all quoting high season? surely not - but if not, then it's completely skewed.
This discussion has been closed.