Forum Member
✭✭✭
if so, where?

Comments

• Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long is long - what is your definition?

The longest flight I have been on lasted about 17hrs and I hated it. Couldn't settle, my legs ached, couldn't sleep.

I have been on the ferry and then across Europe on the train when I was younger. That was quite good fun. Slept in a couchette and had to be sure we were in the correct carriage as the train was incredibly long and at a couple of stations some carriages separated off and headed for a different part of Europe.

We did a fly-drive in the US which was really great. Started off in Utah near Bryce Canyon, then to Las Vegas for the Grand Canyon, across to LA to visit the Getty museum up in the hills, then up to Yosemite via Fresno (weird) and finally across to San Francisco.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've travelled to Australia. 20 hours in the air.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - a holiday with my (now ex) boyfriend to New York in 2009.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The longest I've been on a plane was 12 hours I think.

The longest I've driven in a day was calais to stuttgart it took from 7am til midnight, and I did have an hours kip around 8pm
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drove from North Wales to Thassos and back to visit my mother, with my kids. Went in a VW camper van and had a great time apart from the 2 weeks in Thassos which was hell because of my mother.

I've flown non-stop long haul many times. I get on the plane and take a sleeping pill.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved to Australia for a couple of years. The part of the flight to Hong Kong was ok, but the final leg of the trip to Sydney was awful.

Then as I had just gotten over my jet lag, my boss sent me to a conference in the US. Which went Sydney->San Francisco ->Chicago->Raleigh. And then in reverse. An absolutely wretched time.

I was on a business trip to Japan a couple of weeks ago, which was actually pretty pleasant.

What I'd like to hear about, is people who have done long distance trips over a land/sea route. Much more interesting that just flying to places!
  • Options
    LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »

What I'd like to hear about, is people who have done long distance trips over a land/sea route. Much more interesting that just flying to places!

I've just travelled from Kent to just beyond Gloucester recently by train/taxi - a very wretched 6 hours
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've travelled to New York. 7 hours.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13 hours is my longest.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,037
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I've travelled to New York. 7 hours.

Me too. It seems like such a long time when you're just sat there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    Me too. It seems like such a long time when you're just sat there

Agreed. Time stands still when you're flying.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Been all over the place through holidays and work. Furthest place, and by far the longest journey, would be New Zealand, but have also been to the Falklands, the US, Israel, Africa (various countries), Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Siberia, Japan and all over Europe.
  • Options
    marclamarcla Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Travelled to Australia which was 22hours
    longest travel time on a road vehicle:
    Travelled on coach for 27 hours on school trip to Austria.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just travelled from Kent to just beyond Gloucester recently by train/taxi - a very wretched 6 hours

That doesn't sound pleasant at all. Were there lots of delays, or was it just a death by a thousand cuts in terms of service?

Travelling by train in Germany and Austria, has always been a really nice experience thought.

When I used to live in Vienna, my wife and I would take the ICE to Frankfurt around Christmas (before we had kids) and it was always very comfortable and hassle free.

At one point, I traveled to Graz from Vienna by non-ICE train, which was three hours each way on the same day. Again, it was a nice experience, especially going through the mountains.

*ahem* I can't really comment on UK trains these days, as I tend to only do that on business, so we buy 1st class tickets. It's funny how delays on those journey's are never a big deal, because you usually have wi fi and a socket to charge your laptop on if you want to watch a movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drove from Edinburgh to La Manga towing a caravan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Been all over the place through holidays and work. Furthest place, and by far the longest journey, would be New Zealand, but have also been to the Falklands, the US, Israel, Africa (various countries), Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Siberia, Japan and all over Europe.

show off :)
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove from Chelmsford to Colchester and back again if that counts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    I drove from Chelmsford to Colchester and back again if that counts?

not unless you went via China.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We once drove from Andorra to Manchester in one go. Would not recommend it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    We once drove from Andorra to Manchester in one go. Would not recommend it.

I've been snowboarding in Andorra. Where did you go?
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to say no the furthest i been is the old yugoslavia. 4 times in the 80s .
    My brother how ever been to a nunber of african countries includeing south africa and kenya and he has been to mexico canada and usa most of europe too and india i think
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Longest flight I took was from Taipei to Amsterdam via Anchorage and New York .It was just endless.

Car journey : Paris to Gibraltar .

Train Bangkok - Singapore 48 hours - ...

Ship - a 3 night inter - island boat in Indonesia -
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Flight: London - Malaysia BUT had a stopover in Dubai with a quick walkabout then got diverted to Dhaka, Bangladesh cos of some severe weather in Malaysia and had to wait then we had to land in Singapore due to some damage or nonsense in KL, and then finally got to KL to join a queue of people screaming at the lack of info / unpleasant staff from an airline connected to a ground which a team from higbbury play at ha

Bus - 25 hours from Victoria - Bratislava ... was fun on a virtually empty coach with nice people chatting away at different service stations from somewhere in Belgium to Nuremberg to Plzen; got bad at Prague as the bus filled out with early risers and id not actually slept

Train - 26 hours +/- Hong Kong - Beijing - Did this trip twice on visa runs. Generally ok exept the loudspeaker in the compartment and was cool to arrive at Wuhan over the Yangtze river just at breakfast time

Uncomfortable long journeys also included a trip on a bus in North Luzon in the Philippones with my feet squashed behind bags of sugar and flour which meant i had massive cramp. Also, the Peru bus trip in the Andes from Arequipa which reaches 4800m and could be called the pukewagon. Yuck.

I think ive gone off travel. Slippers, a pipe and corrie for me now
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    The flight I took to Florida was about 9 hours I think. It went pretty quickly.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Barnsley once.