Options

DNA - The Wonder of Life

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
Here's a serious thought.

Brian Cox's show "the Wonder of Life" the other night explained that DNA is a molecule formed from amino acids, derived from 4 basic DNA codons designated ACGT (This may not be 100% accurate - however, bear with me)

so on earth carbon based life develops, using such DNA

Now lets assume that carbon based life can only develop in this way, with DNA, and therefore has to be formed from amino acid chains, wherever it is to be found. I think this is reasonable - the special spiral feature of DNA is what allows for reproduction. It may also be unwise to "humanise" everything, but diploid reproduction appears to be a reasonably efficient process of allowing variation and selection.

point 1 -
so could it not be that apes and humans are not really "related", and in fact the species just reflect a generally similar DNA sequence, which sequence necessarily displays in similar anthropomorthic features. Hence no "missing link", rather just an observed similarity.

point 2.
Let's take this further. If we then posit that carbon based life is likely to be a common form of life in the universe , (I would actually take this further and say most common, or even only - it is hard to imagine life not based on organic chemistry for many reasons) - then it follows that the same DNA will form from amino acid chains on planets in galaxies far far away, and result in life, probably similar to ours

(on the basis that if there were an alternative to DNA, we would see it here)

so according to Brian Cox's reasoning, we will share a relatedness to those life forms, but without possibly ever having shared a common ancestor.

Comments

• Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    The thing about our DNA is that, if we could trace it right back to the very first thing/organism that we class as life then we'd find a tiny percentage of commonality with our DNA.

Now where you've got it slightly wrong is here. You've assumed that if a completely alien extra-terrestrial life-form were to be found, and this lifeform actually had DNA that was recognisable to us as DNA, then it would be related to us. It wouldn't. It's DNA would have evolved completely separately to us and would have 0% commonality with ours. Even if this lifeform had evolved to look exactly like us, it would truly be alien.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a serious thought? :confused:
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    point 1 -
    so could it not be that apes and humans are not really "related", and in fact the species just reflect a generally similar DNA sequence, which sequence necessarily displays in similar anthropomorthic features. Hence no "missing link", rather just an observed similarity.

... and the chimpanzee coincidentally managed to build a DNA sequence 99% identical to that of a human?

That's quite some similarity.
  • Options
    Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    "lets posit"

really?

POSIT?
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "lets posit"

really?

POSIT?

Posit: A statement made on the assumption that it will prove to be true.

Dont see a problem in the context of the OPs post. Since the only life we know of in the universe is carbon based - its a reasonable assumption that if we were to find life elsewhere in the universe - its also likely to be carbon based.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to break it to you, you're not doing science.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so according to Brian Cox's reasoning, we will share a relatedness to those life forms, but without possibly ever having shared a common ancestor.

It sounds like you are proposing convergent evolution - but for the structure of DNA, rather than the appearance of an organism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

The problem with that proposition however is that there is far more evidence that organisms do share common ancestors - than just common structures in their DNA sequences.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DNA isn't the only way to go. There's RNA as well though usually in a subsidiary role I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    DNA isn't the only way to go. There's RNA as well though usually in a subsidiary role I think.

RNA is single-stranded while DNA is a double-stranded helix and these have cooperating roles in the body.

DNA is organized into structures called chromosomes which are duplicated during cell division.

These chromosomes release genetic codes that will be transcribed and carried by the RNA (specifically the messenger RNA) to the ribosome.

The ribosome will then synthesize new proteins.

And on a different note, it's always amused me that genetically, we share approximately 50% of the DNA of bananas! Therefore humans are all half bananas :p
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry OP, but you need to take a step back and think about what you are suggesting.

Anyway, sticking with DNA, did anyone catch the recent article on quadruple stranded DNA (G-quadruplexes)?

We have known about quadruple stranded DNA for a while (and are able to produce it in a lab) but not it has been found naturally in humans. It is thought that they are natural, but do play a role in cancer.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Since the only life we know of in the universe is carbon based - its a reasonable assumption that if we were to find life elsewhere in the universe - its also likely to be carbon based.
    No it isn't. It's one point on a graph and without other points you have no idea of what the "graph" is like.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    No it isn't. It's one point on a graph and without other points you have no idea of what the "graph" is like.

Indeed, it is why we are desperate to find something on mars. It would give us two data points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hence the reason we can only make assumptions based on the information we have to hand.

Life on earth isn't the only information we have. There is mounting evidence for complex carbon based molecules all over the universe - ones that we know life uses on earth.

Like I said - within the context of the OPs post and current information - the assumption is reasonable.

You appear to be making assumptions yourself - that life does/can exist elsewhere (i.e. there are actually more points on the graph). What if the graph does only consist of one point ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Indeed, it is why we are desperate to find something on mars. It would give us two data points.

True - but even on Mars - how they are looking for life is very much dictated by what we know about life (i.e. the types of minerals life deposits, the types of gas it emits, the types of chemicals it can metabolise etc).

Even NASA seems to be operating under the assumption that life on Mars wont be too dissimilar to that on Earth - they cant really do much else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    The thing about our DNA is that, if we could trace it right back to the very first thing/organism that we class as life then we'd find a tiny percentage of commonality with our DNA.

Now where you've got it slightly wrong is here. You've assumed that if a completely alien extra-terrestrial life-form were to be found, and this lifeform actually had DNA that was recognisable to us as DNA, then it would be related to us. It wouldn't. It's DNA would have evolved completely separately to us and would have 0% commonality with ours. Even if this lifeform had evolved to look exactly like us, it would truly be alien.

that's what I meant though. It would be different, even though it shared a percentage of DNA.

Hence, perhaps animals that apparently are similar to us, are similar only for the same reason. maybe we do not share a common ancestor with animals at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

but elements are the same elements everywhere in the universe

carbon is always going to be element no 6. and organic chemistry is always going to be organic chemistry.

now - maybe a life form can obtain oxygen in a different way than breathing it - or filtering it out of water.

I think the respiration equation is so important in this respect though

C6 H12 O6 + 6O2 <-> 6CO2 + 6H20

plants take in C02 and water, and turn it into sugar (starch) and oxygen, with sunlight.

we take in oxygen and combine it with sugar to produce energy.

It is hard to conceive of anything more elegant. Which is probably why scientists expect to find oxygen and water, if they find life.

And why there is a high probablity that there is no "graph" of life forms.
  • Options
    Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    but elements are the same elements everywhere in the universe

carbon is always going to be element no 6. and organic chemistry is always going to be organic chemistry.

now - maybe a life form can obtain oxygen in a different way than breathing it - or filtering it out of water.

I think the respiration equation is so important in this respect though

C6 H12 O6 + 6O2 <-> 6CO2 + 6H20

plants take in C02 and water, and turn it into sugar (starch) and oxygen, with sunlight.

we take in oxygen and combine it with sugar to produce energy.

It is hard to conceive of anything more elegant. Which is probably why scientists expect to find oxygen and water, if they find life.

And why there is a high probablity that there is no "graph" of life forms.

Did someone buy you a wee science book for your birthday by chance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did someone buy you a wee science book for your birthday by chance?

No - I am pretty widely read.

The thought just occurred to me when watching Brian Cox the other day, and I thought it worth a serious topic discussion

Maytbe it is "risky" to "humanize" everythnig - but I find it hard to conceive of intelligent life that is not recognisably humanoid

ie - stereo "vision" (but not necessarily visible light) , dextrous manipulation skills (hands, but maybe more than 2 would be useful - maybe extra tentacles, or a prehensile tail), endoskeleton, sexual/diploid reproduction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this took some finding

SF discussion about alien life

http://www.cthreepo.com/lab/physed1/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No - I am pretty widely read.

The thought just occurred to me when watching Brian Cox the other day, and I thought it worth a serious topic discussion

Maytbe it is "risky" to "humanize" everythnig - but I find it hard to conceive of intelligent life that is not recognisably humanoid

ie - stereo "vision" (but not necessarily visible light) , dextrous manipulation skills (hands, but maybe more than 2 would be useful - maybe extra tentacles, or a prehensile tail), endoskeleton, sexual/diploid reproduction.

Much of the above could be attributed to an octopus -- an intelligent and resourceful animal, but an invertebrate and nothing much like a human. The only thing that has prevented them from dominating the seas is their short lifespans.
  • Options
    ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a serious thought.

Brian Cox's show "the Wonder of Life" the other night explained that DNA is a molecule formed from amino acids, derived from 4 basic DNA codons designated ACGT (This may not be 100% accurate - however, bear with me)

so on earth carbon based life develops, using such DNA

Now lets assume that carbon based life can only develop in this way, with DNA, and therefore has to be formed from amino acid chains, wherever it is to be found. I think this is reasonable - the special spiral feature of DNA is what allows for reproduction. It may also be unwise to "humanise" everything, but diploid reproduction appears to be a reasonably efficient process of allowing variation and selection.

point 1 -

point 2.
    Let's take this further. If we then posit that carbon based life is likely to be a common form of life in the universe , (I would actually take this further and say most common, or even only - it is hard to imagine life not based on organic chemistry for many reasons) - then it follows that the same DNA will form from amino acid chains on planets in galaxies far far away, and result in life, probably similar to ours

(on the basis that if there were an alternative to DNA, we would see it here)

DNA strands have billions of base pairs, the chances of two similar strands spontaneously forming would be astronomically remote.

Of course, it isn't just our nuclear DNA (the DNA in the nucleus of our cells) that would have to be similar to that of chimps. Our mitocondrial DNA (the DNA that is in the mitocondria in cells, and reproduces separately and at a different pace to nuclear DNA) is also virtually identical to that of chimps. Then there are the various organisms that call us 'home', like lice that have virtually identical DNA to between humans and chimps but are not the same species.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but I find it hard to conceive of intelligent life that is not recognisably humanoid

We have intelligent life on this planet that does not conform to the humanoid blueprint (Dolphins for example).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    We have intelligent life on this planet that does not conform to the humanoid blueprint (Dolphins for example).

And corvids, the aforementioned octopus, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But we do know that life exists which doesn't utilise oxygen - or the generic equation of respiration that you have posted.

It has become the dominant form of energy production, common to the majority of organisms on this planet - simply because the ingredients required to drive it are readily available.

If the conditions on earth were different - its likely that another means of energy production would have become the dominant one (and in fact probably were at some point in Earths history).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    And corvids, the aforementioned octopus, etc.

(yep - I did think of that too).