Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last thoughts about S3 E7.

It dawned on me while watching it earlier this week that this is an extraordinarily funny episode. I think most of us watch it with the ending in mind and can't fully relax and enjoy it. I know I do. In fact, I rarely watch it because it's so painful. So, no deep thoughts from me tonight, just a little list.

Funny moments:

The geyser at Large restaurant.

Al's best line. "Nothing says romance like a 20 foot high circus tent."

Mrs. T. practicing the organ when DM comes in. "Like ships passing in the night" and that moment when she casually leans over and plants her elbow in the organ keyboard.

Doc's "Maybe it isn't as bad as it seems" after breaking the vicar's hip.

AJ's arrival at the church as the vicar is being taken away by ambulance.

Seconds later, she tells Pauline, "He always has to do things the hard way." And Pauline looks over at Bert and Al and the tent and says, "He's not the only one."

AJ asks Martin if he's got "a bit of a twitch".

Mr. Porter's greeting to Martin at the door. "Got any ice?"

Martin's fingers in Porter's mail slot as Porter opens the door.

Porter being not the least bit intimidated by Martin and ordering him around. "Sit down." "Don't do that." "At least pretend to be humble."

And then there's the pig, of course, and everything about that scene.

The ladies' sequined dress that's revealed when Martin removes his jacket from the hanger.

The birth on the hillside. Martin tells Louisa to give Isobel support. Louisa says she is, meaning emotional support. Doc means something to push against. And a bit later, Isobel sticks a hand right into Martin's face and pushes. When Louisa says, "You're doing really well," Martin says, "Thank you."

The collapse of the marquee.

Just that unrelenting series of disasters is funny in itself. It's the fact that they just keep coming and coming, one after another, that makes it funny to me. Sort of like the movie, "Airplane". A bunch of stupid jokes, but they keep coming and coming without a single break, so it's funny.

Oh, almost forgot. Mr. Porter: "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »

It dawned on me while watching it earlier this week that this is an extraordinarily funny episode. I think most of us watch it with the ending in mind and can't fully relax and enjoy it. I know I do. In fact, I rarely watch it because it's so painful. So, no deep thoughts from me tonight, just a little list.

Funny moments:

Mrs. T. practicing the organ when DM comes in. "Like ships passing in the night" and that moment when she casually leans over and plants her elbow in the organ keyboard.

Seconds later, she tells Pauline, "He always has to do things the hard way." And Pauline looks over at Bert and Al and the tent and says, "He's not the only one."

Porter being not the least bit intimidated by Martin and ordering him around. "Sit down." "Don't do that." "At least pretend to be humble."

The ladies' sequined dress that's revealed when Martin removes his jacket from the hanger.

The birth on the hillside. Martin tells Louisa to give Isobel support. Louisa says she is, meaning emotional support. Doc means something to push against. And a bit later, Isobel sticks a hand right into Martin's face and pushes. When Louisa says, "You're doing really well," Martin says, "Thank you."

Just that unrelenting series of disasters is funny in itself. It's the fact that they just keep coming and coming, one after another, that makes it funny to me. Sort of like the movie, "Airplane". A bunch of stupid jokes, but they keep coming and coming without a single break, so it's funny.

And there's Al in the church after the marquee disaster telling AJ to call on them if they need any ...er..plumbing.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »

Funny moments:

Aside from all the humor, especially regarding the pig scene, how about the fan favorite of staring at that fit, broad-shouldered physician doing what he needs to for his woman, that is also the pig scene, with DM kneeling without a jacket.

I'm not sure if that scene is first or second to the jacketless car washing scene in S1E3. I know it's odd, but for me there's something more sexy about him without a jacket than even him in his jammie trousers and t-shirt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Aside from all the humor, especially regarding the pig scene, how about the fan favorite of staring at that fit, broad-shouldered physician doing what he needs to for his woman, that is also the pig scene, with DM kneeling without a jacket.

I'm not sure if that scene is first or second to the jacketless car washing scene in S1E3. I know it's odd, but for me there's something more sexy about him without a jacket than even him in his jammie trousers and t-shirt.

Totally agree. Don't forget s1e6 while DM & LG watche them take Peter Cronk into the theatre. I think LG even takes DM's hand. Not 100% sure but I like to believe so in my mind. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd share another little exchange with Dominic Minghella:

To DM: "Hi, Dominic. Can U tell me when you left Doc Martin, did you leave them with a plot plan for the show we now see - and beyond?"

From DM: "If I told you, I'd have to kill you!"

Most amusing death threat I've gotten today. :)

Statesidefan
    You are fantastic!

We should take a vote on whether we are prepared to sacrifice you for the greater good of the forum members. We really NEED to know!! :rolleyes:

If I had to interpret his response I think it is a yes. Don't you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Statesidefan
    You are fantastic!

We should take a vote on whether we are prepared to sacrifice you for the greater good of the forum members. We really NEED to know!! :rolleyes:

If I had to interpret his response I think it is a yes. Don't you?

He's pretty cagey - I like him. As a writer, I don't think Minghella actually has a casual conversation - even when it appears breezy, he's saying EXACTLY what he wants to say. Humorous guy, loves the business, wears his heart on his sleeve, smart - always looking for new ideas and things that stimulate him. Wide, wide range of interests. I can see where he and MC would have really gotten along - until I guess they didn't. Wonder very much how PB operates in the mix as producer: dragon lady, mediator, or ? Has she ever given an interview (not that she would ever talk about Minghella)? It seems to me they all either have a strong no-reveal/no badmouth separation agreement or some kind of very limited occasional or tangential working relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week try and watch series 4 episode 1
    Better the Devil
    Written by: Jack Lothian
    Directed by: Ben Bolt

Life in the beautiful Cornish village of Portwenn has become ever more infuriating for Dr. Martin Ellingham since his and Louisa's heart-wrenching decision to call off their wedding. Louisa has left the village, and Martin has begun to question what keeps him in Cornwall. It's certainly not his relentlessly annoying patients. Mrs Tishell's husband Clive returns to his wife and concerns the doctor with his lack of hearing. Martin's ex-girlfriend Dr. Edith Montgomery aids a patient of his, and the pair immediately come to a disagreement over the patient's need for an operation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's pretty cagey - I like him. As a writer, I don't think Minghella actually has a casual conversation - even when it appears breezy, he's saying EXACTLY what he wants to say. Humorous guy, loves the business, wears his heart on his sleeve, smart - always looking for new ideas and things that stimulate him. Wide, wide range of interests. I can see where he and MC would have really gotten along - until I guess they didn't. Wonder very much how PB operates in the mix as producer: dragon lady, mediator, or ? Has she ever given an interview (not that she would ever talk about Minghella)? It seems to me they all either have a strong no-reveal/no badmouth separation agreement or some kind of very limited occasional or tangential working relationship.

Just reading his blog is amazing.
    Neither of them (Dominic or Buffalo) have ever said anything bad about one another and MC always identifies Dominic as the writer. The only time I have ever heard a hint of conflict was when MC said on a video (so, as he has said, it can be believed. Unlike print media) back in either s1 or 2 (when Dominic was the main writer) that writers are dificult to deal with.

I bet Dominic is meticulous about his intent which may be difficult to work with but so worth it in the end. :cool:

PB is on one of the early behind the scenes videos and I think on the Kcet ones? I don't think I've ever seen the whole of the Kcet ones only the 2 min sections that were freely available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a vague memory of someone here saying that the parting was amicable -- Minghella just wanted to move on to other projects. Whatever, I'm pretty sure we'll not learn the "real story" from either of them.

MC can be,it seems, pretty harsh on writers. He has very high standards, and good for him. Remember the interview he gave as S5 was ending? something about having to force the writers to get their thumbs out of their you know where? and PB has said that sometimes she runs interference for the writers because presumably he is quite demanding. On the other hand, MC did express some sympathy for Jack Lothian, even remarking how fans on (our) Forum had trashed him b/c of S3/E7.

I do also miss Edana Minghella. She was part of the writing team for S2, and she is an interesting figure -- besides being part of that family, she has been both a psychiatric social worker AND a jazz singer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Connie he also turned down playing DM in america! :)

And I am so thankful for that. We would absolutely not have the DM we do now. It might not have made a full season. American sit-coms are so rarely redeemable (ha-ha). Over the years I can think of a few - The West Wing, Criminal Minds, The Big Bang, Seinfeld, NCIS, all the Law and Order. Not that I ever watched either the MC or American Men Behaving Badly - but I seriously doubt that the US version was truly even a shade of the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I have a vague memory of someone here saying that the parting was amicable -- Minghella just wanted to move on to other projects. Whatever, I'm pretty sure we'll not learn the "real story" from either of them.

MC can be,it seems, pretty harsh on writers. He has very high standards, and good for him. Remember the interview he gave as S5 was ending? something about having to force the writers to get their thumbs out of their you know where? and PB has said that sometimes she runs interference for the writers because presumably he is quite demanding. On the other hand, MC did express some sympathy for Jack Lothian, even remarking how fans on (our) Forum had trashed him b/c of S3/E7.

I do also miss Edana Minghella. She was part of the writing team for S2, and she is an interesting figure -- besides being part of that family, she has been both a psychiatric social worker AND a jazz singer.

I only recently noticed Craig Ferguson and Mark Crowdy being given some exec producer/'based on the character' credits.
    I actually wish there was some female writing talent on the team - maybe Louisa would be a bit less shrew-ish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading his blog is amazing.
    Neither of them (Dominic or Buffalo) have ever said anything bad about one another and MC always identifies Dominic as the writer. The only time I have ever heard a hint of conflict was when MC said on a video (so, as he has said, it can be believed. Unlike print media) back in either s1 or 2 (when Dominic was the main writer) that writers are dificult to deal with.

I bet Dominic is meticulous about his intent which may be difficult to work with but so worth it in the end. :cool:

PB is on one of the early behind the scenes videos and I think on the Kcet ones? I don't think I've ever seen the whole of the Kcet ones only the 2 min sections that were freely available.

Speaking of the KCET videos, I have never seen more expansive use of such a small amount of material. They show one of these EVERY TIME they air a DM episode in LA - and I am so sick and tired of the searching for baby scene inside the Castle Hotel and the Doc screaming at Louisa, even I have to switch channels. The video is introduced by a staffer with a severe head cold, hawking products, mispronouncing KCT (sic), and followed by a robust English woman of a certain age wearing some kind of (MBE?) medal. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    And I am so thankful for that. We would absolutely not have the DM we do now. It might not have made a full season. American sit-coms are so rarely redeemable (ha-ha). Over the years I can think of a few - The West Wing, Criminal Minds, The Big Bang, Seinfeld, NCIS, all the Law and Order. Not that I ever watched either the MC or American Men Behaving Badly - but I seriously doubt that the US version was truly even a shade of the original.

Have they tried to do an Italian version?

I think they could conceivably do an American version, but not with Martin Clunes himself. But it would be very hard to get just the right touch. Northern Exposure has some similarities but the lead character there did involve himself much more with the villagers.

I wonder how much difference the one-hour (44 minutes) structure versus the half hour (22 minutes) structure of our usual sitcoms would make in the impact of the dramedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How successful was the Robin Hood series Minghella later wrote? And did you know he's now working on a film about Puccini, where he's doing more than writing - I think directing.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. Don't forget s1e6 while DM & LG watche them take Peter Cronk into the theatre. I think LG even takes DM's hand. Not 100% sure but I like to believe so in my mind. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Right, right, of course!

I think it is true for me that "every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man". A well dressed man is absolutely more handsome than someone lounging around in casual wear. That's part of why DM is so attractive to me, outside his complex personality

And, then, him taking off that jacket....!!! :):o

1. The carwash scene
    2. The Peter Cronk ambulance scene (Absolutely at the door to the operating room/theatre, they take each other's hand.)
    3. The on his knees by the pig scene

I can rewatch those scenes quite often! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, right, of course!

I think it is true for me that "every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man". A well dressed man is absolutely more handsome than someone lounging around in casual wear. That's part of why DM is so attractive to me, outside his complex personality

1. The carwash scene
    2. The Peter Cronk ambulance scene (Absolutely at the door to the operating room/theatre, they take each other's hand.)

So what you're saying is that you like to see a well-dressed man undressing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, right, of course!

1. The carwash scene

2) I'm so glad it wasn't all in my mind. I love that scene in fact it is my favourite episode.
    But I think you have the order of the scenes right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they tried to do an Italian version?

I think they could conceivably do an American version, but not with Martin Clunes himself. But it would be very hard to get just the right touch. Northern Exposure has some similarities but the lead character there did involve himself much more with the villagers.

I wonder how much difference the one-hour (44 minutes) structure versus the half hour (22 minutes) structure of our usual sitcoms would make in the impact of the dramedy.

Northern Exposure was an hour (44 mins) show. I think it would need to be that long to fit it in sensibly. There are 110 episodes of Northern exposure over 5 years. DM America would be over in 2 seasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How successful was the Robin Hood series Minghella later wrote? And did you know he's now working on a film about Puccini, where he's doing more than writing - I think directing.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0863574?mode=desktop

There was some dispute. "Robyn Hood" announced his intention to leave at the beginning of season 3 and Dominic Minghella killed him off leading to an uproar from fans. Then the network said they weren't commissioning series 4 because there was no Robyn Hood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attention, Attention Everybody. I have an important announcement to make:
    I have it on excellent authority that Series 6 will begin filming in April! :D:D:D
    Although some of you may not mind, please don't ask me who my source is or I may be eliminated. :eek:;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who is doing the season 6 writing?

I recall a fairly recent post about 8 episodes and now we have a glimmer about the start of filming. Did someone also have some info about who was writing in this season?

Obviously the same names pop up over and over, but there have been instances of someone coming in and doing a one-off.
    S1E5 - Kirstie Faldous and John Regier (the John Slater episode)
    S3E2 - Nick Vivian (the food poisoning episode - AKA the new dishwasher)
    S3E6 - Keith Temple (the Sawle sisters/the engagement)
    S5E4 - Chris Hurford and Tom Butterworth (Portwenn Day / Louisa's mom giving her 'drops' to the baby)
    It would be interesting to know how these writers came into the fold and then were no more.

The list of humorous incidents in S3E7 was impressive against all the angst over the relationship and decision that we had all discussed. It was good to step back and be reminded of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2) I'm so glad it wasn't all in my mind. I love that scene in fact it is my favourite episode.
    But I think you have the order of the scenes right.

And no matter how many times I watch it, I still find myself holding my breath as he fights to save Peter.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    And no matter how many times I watch it, I still find myself holding my breath as he fights to save Peter.

I agree. Not to mention that little plastic piece in his mouth. Swoon!

(also note that he showed up sans tie for probably the only time)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, right, of course!

1. The carwash scene

I feel a swoon coming on. Get me my smelling salts!
This discussion has been closed.