Recommend me a smartphone

2»

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    You must have a faulty one - I've dropped mine more times than I care to remember and not a scratch or crack or loss of function once. It's very solidly put together. Last week, whilst ringing the missus, I dropped it down the stairs and it smacked on the laminate floor at the bottom - fearing the worst I picked the phone up to hear the wife asking what the hell just happened? :D

It started to leak less than a week after i got the thing, but vodafone would not do anything about it apart from send it back for repair, but I could get charged.
    £100 wasted, I should have gone for the cheaper HTC, they seems to be built better. Saying that, a little bit of water did kill my wildfire. things are made cheap now, normally in china, nothing lasts or can take any punishment
    PS Got a Nexus 4 now and it's amazing but i'm not confident it would stand up to the same mistreatment!
    No, i must admit, I was thinking of getting one, but it is a lot of money if the thing have a problem and vodafone do the same thing as they did when I got the Huawei.

Maybe I should go back to my old 3310, at least it could take knocks.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and it's a decent all-round phone. It's not high end like the Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5 and won't play 3D games or anything like that but for most tasks (actual phone, internet, apps, most games including Angry Birds) it's perfectly fine. Think you can get it SIM free for around £180. It currently runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread but there's going to be a Jelly Bean update for it sometime this year. Check it out.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I have the Galaxy S2 and am happy with it - the S3 is too large and fragile for me.

The only thing I wish is that there was a smartphone where you could see the screen when the sun shines on it - is there one?
  • Options
    Arenas52Arenas52 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    I have the Galaxy S2 and am happy with it - the S3 is too large and fragile for me.

The only thing I wish is that there was a smartphone where you could see the screen when the sun shines on it - is there one?

I can see the screen on my Lumia 800 clearly in bright sunlight, it was one of the selling points for me.
  • Options
    Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    If it has to be android, seems the nexus 4 is best you can get for your money.

Personally I'd say give the Nokia lumia 820 a play with too see what you think.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Arenas52 wrote: »
    I can see the screen on my Lumia 800 clearly in bright sunlight, it was one of the selling points for me.

Oh, thanks for that. I'm not due for an upgrade for a while but I'll have a look when I am.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammoon1 wrote: »
    ...the S3 is too large and fragile for me.
    Large and fragile do not have to go together.

Large is a personal preference, fragile is the opinion.
    My preference is that it is, if anything, too small.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This. Really, if you can stretch to the extra £40, it's really worth it.

extra £50, there is a £10 delivery charge. But still amazing value for money.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    In that case an HTC wildfire as my brothers wife has that phone and is very compact. Also got very good value for money too. :D

I know someone thats got an HTC Wildfire and they say the battery is poor.

Darren
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    extra £50, there is a £10 delivery charge. But still amazing value for money.

£8.99 if you want to split hairs :D
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I know someone thats got an HTC Wildfire and they say the battery is poor.

Darren

It is not that great, but I did get mine to last a couple of days, but that was with a task manager on and also when I was at work, so the phone was in the locker for 8 hours doing very little. When I was not at work, it would last a day, just about as I used it more.

At the time is was a cheap phone, now it is old technology, it was a bit slow sometimes, but saying all of that, I liked my little wildfire. Would I recommend one? no, because it is old tech and there is better around for less cash.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    It is not that great, but I did get mine to last a couple of days, but that was with a task manager on and also when I was at work, so the phone was in the locker for 8 hours doing very little. When I was not at work, it would last a day, just about as I used it more.

At the time is was a cheap phone, now it is old technology, it was a bit slow sometimes, but saying all of that, I liked my little wildfire. Would I recommend one? no, because it is old tech and there is better around for less cash.

Thats like I would not tell anyone to get an HTC Desire S due to my phone sufering from signal drop outs in weak signal areas.
    There is better updated phones to the Desire S out now anyway.

Darren