Options

Magdalene Laundries

Comments

• Options
    Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's horrendous story and I feel for the women who's lives have been blighted by the RC church. Irish Government needs to do more than it has today - half arsed apology is not enough.

RC Church is one of the most corrupt organizations in the world. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Same here and were the biggest hypocrites going.

One of the nun's in our school, looked a bit 'Mrs Brown' actually, was positively orgasmic when the Parish Priest came to visit, all silly and girly, yet a tyrant to the pupils.

The only Priest I had any respect for was my Great Uncle, who was a Missionary White father in Africa. He hated it when he had to be in UK, ended up dying and being buried out there.

I did meet several good priests but they were definitely in the minority. Most of them were self-imporant, rude, lazy, uncaring and completely... well - un-christian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An elderly aunt of mine in Ireland says all those paedo priests should be taken out and drowned in the Atlantic.

I find it hard to disagree with her.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid in the 1970s, I visited Ireland with my family. We stayed with an elderly couple, who had helped raise my Dad and his sister as they were orphaned. Their Grand daughter was living with them as her mother was residing in the state lunatic asylum, where they had placed her because she got pregnant as an unmarried, young woman.
    We went to visit her in the asylum, where she greeted us by cartwheeling across the lawn, in children's party dress and pop socks and had picked up constant ticks. She had a doll with her, who she spoke to all the time. She was in her 40s at this point, she had become so institutionalised that no way was she ever going anywhere. A waste of life.
    Recently I asked my Mum about this as it's always stayed with me, I wanted to know how they explained the arrival of a baby, but the disappearance of their daughter. She wouldn't tell me and I haven't seen my Dad since 1996, otherwise I would ask him. He and his sister went through hell at at the hands of Priests during their childhood in Ireland.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    ... :( .. Not very appropriate to be making light of such a serious issue.

Don`t try and soft soap me.......
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sick of people crying because they had to work in a bloody laundry. Where were the fathers of their children? Why didn`t THEY look after them? Fact is the Nuns took them in when nobody else would.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Don`t think dirty laundry should be aired in public.........

A time and a place. This isn't it.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Sick of people crying because they had to work in a bloody laundry. Where were the fathers of their children? Why didn`t THEY look after them? Fact is the Nuns took them in when nobody else would.

Oh do stop trolling. It's tiresome :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't be an idiot...

They didn't "take them in"... They held them prisoner, enslaved them, beat them, molested them, mentally abused them, they even took their names off them FFS!! Oh and not forgetting the Priests they invited in to rape them, often impregnating them in the process...

Sounds great doesn't it! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You really need to research your trolls and try a bit harder ..

Anyway, I've also seen the film and it's excellent. I read up on the Magdalene Laundries afterwards as I wasn't actually aware of them and couldn't believe how recent it was as well.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Oh do stop trolling. It's tiresome :yawn:

If you have read Azzurri's posts over the years, he doesn't appear to be trolling. He's been brainwashed by his Irish Catholic religion.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were kept against their will to work hard labour for up to 12 hours a day, starving, beaten etc for the sake of "purifying their soul" to become proper Catholics and to make money for the Catholic Church. Every Irish person alive at the time shares some responsibility for what happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    Not good, but were they forced to work in laundries/sweatshops for 50-60 hours per week for nothing bar a bed in what was effectively in a prison, then paraded around towns and villages and made fools of simply because they got pregnant out of wedlock. This went on in the later part of the 20th century in what is supposed to be a civilised country. A Hindu lady recently died in an Irish hospital because the church run state refused her a life saving abortion on religious grounds, that is what I call backward.

No, but they were locked up, imprisoned in these mental institutions for pretty much their entire lives simply for getting pregnant outside marriage.

I would put money on some of them still being there, too institutionlised to ever be released. I met 2 women who had been there since the age of 15 and were still there 40 years later.

All I'm saying is similar sort of things went on in the UK so Ireland is not alone is behaving so badly towards such women.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The fathers in several cases were handing out the Sunday morning sermons seeing as how righteous they were, but you cannot argue with their god given right to do what they please with whom they please.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sex_abuse_cases
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Catholic Church must be full of the most unChristian people in the world. The horrors that have been done in that church's name should see it shut forever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but they were locked up, imprisoned in these mental institutions for pretty much their entire lives simply for getting pregnant outside marriage.

I would put money on some of them still being there, too institutionlised to ever be released. I met 2 women who had been there since the age of 15 and were still there 40 years later.

All I'm saying is similar sort of things went on in the UK so Ireland is not alone is behaving so badly towards such women.

I found this today...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/margaret-died-of-her-slave-related-injuries-a-magdalene-daughter-shares-her-story-780887-Feb2013/
    She was left there at the age of 2 and died there in 2003 aged 51. :eek: :cry:
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're not the full ticket are you hun?
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    They were kept against their will to work hard labour for up to 12 hours a day, starving, beaten etc for the sake of "purifying their soul" to become proper Catholics and to make money for the Catholic Church. Every Irish person alive at the time shares some responsibility for what happened.

No , I am sorry it happened but I wont take responsibility for something I had no control over .I was a child, a teenager and had nothing to do with it .I knew nothing of it and cant be blamed .

By the way what people are forgetting that the girls familes , mothers and fathers and sometimes siblings are just as guilty as the nuns for leaving them there
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We all know what you think about Ireland and Catholicism and what you think of the auld 800 years under the thumb of the most evil colonial empire that ever was.
    We know this. You never stop rawmeishing on about it.
    Ever.

Hardly surprising that you are making light of your beloved Catholic Church - run by Irish people in Ireland oppressing their fellow Irish people - once the British had been kicked out of Ireland.
    Imagine that! Something bad that happened in Ireland and even you can't blame Britain. You must be raging.
    Pity about you.

Wise up, though. The Industrial Schools, the hard labour, physical and sexual abuse in the Magdalegne laundries, systematic physical and sexual abuse in The Christian Brothers, the lovely nuns selling those "shameful" babies to wealthy Irish American couples who wanted to adopt; all of these things are well known. And all undeniable.

Making light of it or doubting it is the mark of a langer.
    Or a dick, for those of us who are unfamiliar with Hiberno-English slang.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No , I am sorry it happened but I wont take responsibility for something I had no control over .I was a child, a teenager and had nothing to do with it .I knew nothing of it and cant be blamed .

By the way what people are forgetting that the girls familes , mothers and fathers and sometimes siblings are just as guilty as the nuns for leaving them there
    I'm talking about general society at the time who demonised single mothers and others who weren't "proper" catholics as parasites... I would blame every single Irish adult [including my own family] who sat back and let society treat people like this and didn't raise their head above the crowd in order to save face and not embarrass themselves... my parent tell me often of how a special room was put away in the house, special cutlery, glasses...etc by their parents in order to entertain the local priest on his rounds collecting church money even though both families were working class and not far from the poverty line, the priests were treated like royalty by everyone and that very society has to take some responsibility for tuning their back on the so called undesirables in the perfect catholic society .
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Watch The Magdalene Sisters if you get the chance, it is quite eye opening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magdalene_Sisters

The truly sad thing about that film is that it isn't actually shocking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm talking about general society at the time who demonised single mothers and others who weren't "proper" catholics as parasites... I would blame every single Irish adult [including my own family] who sat back and let society treat people like this and didn't raise their head above the crowd in order to save face and not embarrass themselves... my parent tell me often of how a special room was put away in the house, special cutlery, glasses...etc by their parents in order to entertain the local priest on his rounds collecting church money even though both families were working class and not far from the poverty line, the priests were treated like royalty by everyone and that very society has to take some responsibility for tuning their back on the so called undesirables in the perfect catholic society .

Then you must specify who you mean and not " every single Irish person who was alive " There were good people too and people who fought the cause of the girls and others who had nothing whatsoever to do with the whole sorry tale .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you must specify who you mean and not " every single Irish person who was alive " There were good people too and people who fought the cause of the girls and others who had nothing whatsoever to do with the whole sorry tale .
    The vast vast majority of people at the time kept their head down and saw institutions like these as a method of fixing problems like unmarried pregnant mothers, they blindly followed the message of the pulpit like sheep and for that society must take responsibility to make sure it never happens again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The vast vast majority of people at the time kept their head down and saw institutions like these as a method of fixing problems like unmarried pregnant mothers, they blindly followed the message of the pulpit like sheep and for that society must take responsibility to make sure it never happens again.

You have no facts for figures who was aware or not and I think it very unfair to lump everyone in and blame everyone .It was disgraceful , of course it was .But not everyone even knew it or was aware of the problem . Many were simply trying to make a living or had their own problems and trying to feed a family day by day .,Its not like now with TV and internet to inform us

By al means be aghast and be angry , but dont blame everyone ,blame those who are responsible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have no facts for figures who was aware or not and I think it very unfair to lump everyone in and blame everyone .It was disgraceful , of course it was .But not everyone even knew it or was aware of the problem . Many were simply trying to make a living or had their own problems and trying to feed a family day by day .,Its not like now with TV and internet to inform us

By al means be aghast and be angry , but dont blame everyone ,blame those who are responsible
    Do you not agree that 90%+ of the Irish population pre-1980's were completely brainwashed from the pulpit? .. Of course the vast majority of people didn't have any idea of what was going on inside these institutions but the vast majority were part of a society who looked upon pregnant girls.. etc as outcasts and people who embarrassed themselves and their families.