Options

Why do black people say arks instead of ask?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
Forum Member
✭✭
Always bothered me, be it on tv, film or out in general, they always miss pronounce the word Ask. Anybody know why this is? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    dialect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard it in the UK but have seen some do it in the US, why, I don't know.
  • Options
    mad_will123mad_will123 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Gevans81 wrote: »
    Always bothered me, be it on tv, film or out in general, they always miss pronounce the word Ask. Anybody know why this is? :confused:

Not sure mate, but I've heard more white people say it than I have black.
    jagetmebruv?
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I have heard this a million times in East London..."Just arks him" etc..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of any occasion where I've heard anybody, black or white, say "arks" :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Never met a black man who has said that tbh. You should see how indians say Immediately say it like immigately
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wombat18 wrote: »
    I can't think of any occasion where I've heard anybody, black or white, say "arks" :confused:

Me neither. I think someone should post a Youtube clip of this pronounciation
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'm told it originally happens simply because people of some nationalities can't wrap their heads around certain combinations of letters, in much the same way that we might struggle to pronounce a Thai or Chinese word.

Course, I'd be willing to be that there's also a helluva lot of people who've adopted it as an affectation, much like the whole "jafaican" thing.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only known one person who said arks and they were white, brought up in a middle class family but once he turned about 15 started talking with a fake patois type accent.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »

Cheers... good to hear an example... and can't say I've ever heard anyone say that.... weird pronounciation!
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Cheers... good to hear an example... and can't say I've ever heard anyone say that.... weird pronounciation!

Fatboy on Eastenders is a classic example of someone saying it. I think Denise's sister does as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatboy on Eastenders is a classic example of someone saying it. I think Denise's sister does as well.

Not a show I watch... but maybe now that I've heard it once, I'll pick up on it more often.... although I don't think its reached this side of the Irish sea yet
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    FWIW, one of the running gags in Futurama was that the word "aks" has replaced the word "ask" in the year 3,000 and nobody can understand Fry when he uses the word "ask".

If nothing else, that should tell us that it's not a new thing, if they decided to make a joke of it for Futurama.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers for the replies people, makes very interesting reading.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    None of my friends of the black persuasion, either here or in the US, have ever used this ridiculous colloquialism when speaking to me. I've spent time in the States living with, and going out with, my friends over there and not once have I heard this term uttered outside of a Jerry Springer show.
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a (white) teacher who used to pronounce "and" as "adne". Most peculiar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Most of them heard someone else say it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Might I suggest that you go directly up to a group of black youths and arks them that exact question?
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member

Sat through the whole of it was really funny... :D:D:D

"I know bear mans Innit" :D...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I don't.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gevans81 wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies people, makes very interesting reading.

The history of Ebonics is pretty interesting, there was a move to get it recognised as a language but people thought it would make black Americans even more separate from whites in schools.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of young black people say 'arks' round where in live in South East London. Some of the not so young people say it like that also. I'm not going to lie, I find it very irritating.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not heard 'arks' but 'axe' seems very common amongst the American poor. I was watching something last night on TV and a woman said she couldn't find her phone so she 'axed' her boyfriend. I thought - that's a bit of an overreaction and a helluva thing to admit to the police who had only stopped her for speeding :D
    A lot of young black people say 'arks' round where in live in South East London. Some of the not so young people say it like that also. I'm not going to lie, I find it very irritating.
    That and 'My baby mother'. What's wrong with 'The mother of my child'?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I've ever heard anyone say this.