Options

Why do black people say arks instead of ask?

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis, I Got You is a good example
    Are you sure about that? Don't you mean Cheryl Cole's duet, Parachute?

Anyway I think that is part of the song. She doesn't sing it at first so I think the idea is that she starts off singing 'you' but is eventually persuaded to say 'tchu'.

Edit: Ah no. I think you/I mean Heaven by Cheryl.

Edit 2: Yup - that's certainly what I mean.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/cherylcole/heaven.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I'm black and don't say arks.
    Some people do due to dialect but many don't and have no problem pronouncing ask correctly.
    Talk about sweeping generalisation.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wombat18 wrote: »
    I can't think of any occasion where I've heard anybody, black or white, say "arks" :confused:

Me neither :confused:
    Stop generalising.
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love "arse" - a much better word than ass. Don't want to lose it.
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm from the south-east (Croydon then sussex) and I'd say there is a definite 'arks' varient rather than simply the long "a" sound. Its very much a 'patois' affectation on the part of the young both black and white. I often wonder how some of the 'yoot' speak to their grandparents - I expect nothing like the street drawl they use when out and about;)

The funniest one I heard recently was a lad from Leeds on the Jeremy Kyle Show (where else :D) speaking jafaikan with a northern accent........and yes, he said arks.
    I hear it all the time on TV, so it surprises me that so many on here have not noticed it.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Coz they can't talk proper, init.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gevans81 wrote: »
    Always bothered me, be it on tv, film or out in general, they always miss pronounce the word Ask. Anybody know why this is? :confused:
    People misspelling "mispronounce" tends to bother me more but I always wondered why Scottish people always say "och aye the noo" instead of "okay" and Americans have stetsons and say "yee harr" a lot while twirling lassos.
  • Options
    Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Old English the origin of the word 'ask' was 'aksian' or 'askian'.

After the great vowel shift of the middle ages in England, the word morphed into the more familiar 'ask'.

However, in the West Indian colonies the old english form of 'aksian' or later 'aks' was preserved within the patois and creoles of those Islands. Similarly in slave communities in the US where patois and creoles evolved, the old pronounciations were preserved and evolved differently than in English in England. It is a language feature known as 'colonial lag.'

So, aks, arks or axe , aren't mispronounciations, they are just different pronounciations that relate back to the original Old English.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Progrez wrote: »
    Never met a black man who has said that tbh. You should see how indians say Immediately say it like immigately

never met an indian who has said that
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Titan9 wrote: »
    Perhaps the thread title should read 'Why do SOME black people say arks instead of ask?'
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Perhaps, but remember this is DS - home to the sweeping generalisations.

I'd say it's the home to sweeping assumptions too.

For the life of me, I can't see the word "ALL" anywhere in the thread title. :confused:
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 'arks'/ 'arksed' is quite cute. It's when people write "I can't be asked" that I have a little mumble to myself. I't s 'assed' or 'arsed'.

It's like when people write 'rediculous' (it's RIDiculous!!!). Don't know why that annoys me but I thinks it's because someone I had issues with used to make a big deal of saying the 'red' bit.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough, I live in the West Midlands and this very week a young female was being interviewed on a local news programme and she used the word "arks" instead of "asked".

It made me laugh and I asked my partner to say arks and then ask, as an experiment you understand. We both came to the same conclusion that it takes more energy to say "arks" than it does to say the correct word which is "ask".

The conclusion that was reached was that only the totally stupid would use up wasted energy in uttering a non-word that raised eyebrows amongst the educated when the correct word was not only easier to say but would give more kudos to the user.

Go on, all of you. Say the words "arksed" and then "asked". Which rolls off the tongue the most easily?

;)
  • Options
    Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I live in the West Midlands and this very week a young female was being interviewed on a local news programme and she used the word "arks" instead of "asked".

It made me laugh and I asked my partner to say arks and then ask, as an experiment you understand. We both came to the same conclusion that it takes more energy to say "arks" than it does to say the correct word which is "ask".

The conclusion that was reached was that only the totally stupid would use up wasted energy in uttering a non-word that raised eyebrows amongst the educated when the correct word was not only easier to say but would give more kudos to the user.

Go on, all of you. Say the words "arksed" and then "asked". Which rolls off the tongue the most easily?

;)

Was that on ITV? Couldn't remember where i'd heard it but think it was on Central Today, made me laugh.

Annoys the hell out of me when people talk like that and it's even more stupid when it's white people.

Tbh "arks" always seemed like a deliberate part of their street lingo rather than anyone struggling to pronounce it properly.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always bothered me, be it on tv, film or out in general, they always miss pronounce the word Ask. Anybody know why this is? :confused:

Oh God. For some reason this really p!sses me off. I always end up screaming at the TV "IT'S ASK!!!!!"
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    It's not just black people- it's anyone born in South London after about 1994, in my experience.

I get them when I'm back home and at work all the time- "Can I just arks you where the changing rooms are". I feel like saying "no, not until you say ask properly"
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked with a woman, she is in her mid forties and she says 'arks' she was originally from London. Only thing is that she had a lisp so it came out as 'arkth' She would also say 'fink' instead of 'thing', that really ripped my knitting!!
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked with a black lady back in the 70's who used to say arsk we got pretty friendly and neither her husband or kids said arsk!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I'd say it's the home to sweeping assumptions too.

For the life of me, I can't see the word "ALL" anywhere in the thread title. :confused:

Don't spoil their fun ;)
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree about generalising re things like this on threads like this where this has happened is plain silly but for the people who say they have never heard black people saying arx instead of ask...........:rolleyes:....even sillier.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes I hear 'arks' but usually I hear 'axe'.

I don't know why because 'ask' seems easier to say and trips much more easily off the tongue.

It would appear that Me-Cheetah a few posts above may have the answer.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,292
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    The kids I taught in Handsworth used to say "axe". But only one kid I taught said "innit" in every other sentence, and she was a Sikh dictor's daughter!:D

Some of my kids also struggled with "crisps"... Always came out "crips"! Cos dialect is my thing (innit) found it fascinating.

Tongue twister!! ;)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    wombat18 wrote: »
    I can't think of any occasion where I've heard anybody, black or white, say "arks" :confused:

Think harder then, better still get out more - or even buy a telly.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Just dialect differences depending on the culture they were raised in. Not all black people say "axe" instead of "ask"

They should follow Big Boy Barry's example. I never ask for anything. I simply demand it.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Serafanowicz had a character who did this, on his sketch show.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always? Every single one OP?! :D:)
    Not sure mate, but I've heard more white people say it than I have black.
    jagetmebruv?
    Same here. If anything, I think it's more to do with the dialect of the area than an attribute of all black people.