Options

Cats in USA

Comments

• Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    the only problem is that some people in the US have their cats declawed which is wrong and cruel on so many levels thankfully this practice is banned in the UK

And in a lot of places in the US.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ran over by an idiot

How do you know?
    It may not be safe to stop when an animal runs under your wheels and you're not obliged to for cats anyway, this is the risk cat owners take by allowing them outside unsupervised.

My friend nearly caused an accident avoiding a cat, luckily no harm done but it was on a dual carriageway and could have been so much worse :mad:

It's a no brainer really, keep cats inside and build them a pen or be prepared for the fact hey may may be squashed, stolen, ragged by dogs/foxes or just choose a better home.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    UncleLou wrote: »
    A friend of mine has built a sunlounge on the back of her house for her cats, with lots of shelves and cushions. There are two cat flaps (one high and one low) out to a fully fenced and roofed, compound, with lots of large branches, scratching posts and cat tray areas for the cats.

Most cat owners don't want to keep their cats in as they don't want to clear their cat's mess up.They would rather risk them outside with all the dangers, than spend a few minutes a day cleaning out a cat tray.:mad: Cleaning up what comes out of it's rear end is part of pet owning. Don't get an animal if you aren't prepared to look after it!

We took in a young wild cat and it wasn't long before he chose not to go outside again. We had him 20 years, but were not sure how old he really was.

That is a very sweeping statement. I don't think that is why some cat owners don't keep their cats in. I think it more a case of giving their cats a choice and a chance to live a more natural life.
  • Options
    UncleLouUncleLou Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    That is a very sweeping statement. I don't think that is why some cat owners don't keep their cats in. I think it more a case of giving their cats a choice and a chance to live a more natural life.

If you cared about your cat, you would make sure it was safe.

Still, you can always just get another kitten when your cat gets run over/disappears, can't you. Much less effort for you than cleaning out a cat tray a few times a day - with the added bonus that a kitten is so cute for a few months.

Perhaps if people had to pay 1K for a kitten, they might take better care of their cat/s.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Still, you can always just get another kitten when your cat gets run over/disappears, can't you. Much less effort for you than cleaning out a cat tray a few times a day - with the added bonus that a kitten is so cute for a few months.

Perhaps if people had to pay 1K for a kitten, they might take better care of their cat/s.

Firstly, there is no if. I adore my cats. Where as you think it's acceptable to in-prison your pets to 'keep them safe', I don't. I don't think it's acceptable to in-prison any living being. My cats are both well looked after.

Secondly, your second paragraph is just plain nasty and totally uncalled for.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What an absolutely ridiculous statement.

The best environment for most (not all) cats is to be able to roam free outside, able to indulge their natural instincts. Owners of outdoor cats trade their own peace of mind for the cat's benefit, because they DO care about their cat.

For some cats, the benefit of going outside does not out way the risks - either because of the individual cat's nature or because the environment is not suitable (busy road for example) - so the owner again puts the cats needs first and keeps them indoors ensuring they enrich their environments.

You also find that many owners of outdoor cats also have indoor litter trays and their cats use the tray in preference to going outside - how are they saving any effort?
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member

Many people's cats with access to outdoors still come in to use a litter tray, including one of my own and several posters' on this very forum. Allowing a cat outdoors is nothing to do with not wanting to deal with cat poo because I still need to deal with it in my garden anyway (and not just from my own cats). As a nurse, I don't have the same aversion to dealing with poo that many people seem to have though I admit to not particularly liking smelly trays in my house. However, I deal with it, my cats come first. My wooden floors would be a lot cleaner if my cats didn't go outside, I'm constantly having to clean their mucky paw prints from the floors and the soft furnishings so I would say that letting cats outside actually generates more work and 'effort', as you say, for me.

As for cats versus kittens, I agree that kittens are very cute but I prefer adult cats, many people do. The longer you have a cat the greater the bond, in my opinion, and I loved my late cat Tabitha more and more as she got older right up to her death at nearly 16 (from natural causes, cancer, having been allowed outside all her life). Also, as you seem to think we want to do as little as possible for our pets, kittens are a lot more work than adult cats and can potentially cause a lot more damage.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Depending where you live, they get eaten too. Mountain lions and coyotes are very common where I live and small pets are often eaten by them during the colder months.

And bobcats http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/189930981.html I think that's around your area, Studmuffin.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry to be so harsh but I cannot stand the self righteousness of some indoor cat owners. It is almost as if compensating for a guilt which comes from knowing you are caging an outdoor creature.
    My cat had a wonderful life hunting in bushes, chasing mice and basking in the sun. He died of a heart attack in the house. I can look back and know that he had a great life, full of fun and adventures.
    Having said that, I only moved to houses where I felt he would be safe.
    He always came first and I never worried about cleaning up cat poo -what a thing to say. People who love their cats but allow them freedom anyway are unselfish owners. I feared for my boy when he was out, but I sucked it up so he could have the freedom that ultimately enriched his all too short life.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be so harsh but I cannot stand the self righteousness of some indoor cat owners. It is almost as if compensating for a guilt which comes from knowing you are caging an outdoor creature.
    My cat had a wonderful life hunting in bushes, chasing mice and basking in the sun. He died of a heart attack in the house. I can look back and know that he had a great life, full of fun and adventures.
    Having said that, I only moved to houses where I felt he would be safe.
    He always came first and I never worried about cleaning up cat poo -what a thing to say. People who love their cats but allow them freedom anyway are unselfish owners. I feared for my boy when he was out, but I sucked it up so he could have the freedom that ultimately enriched his all too short life.

I actually think it comes from the constant comments about it being cruel and unnatural though from wandering cat owners.

Makes indoor cat owners defensive.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I actually think it comes from the constant comments about it being cruel and unnatural though from wandering cat owners.

Makes indoor cat owners defensive.

I completely agree!!

some people chose to let their cats out thats fine...i chose to keep mine inside and that is also fine,
    they're not caged, they are very much loved and looked after.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    I completely agree!!

some people chose to let their cats out thats fine...i chose to keep mine inside and that is also fine,
    they're not caged, they are very much loved and looked after.

Absolutely, each to their own I say. My sister had two very happy indoor cats. Incidentally, I think that owners with outdoor cats should try to live in a safe environment away from roads or maybe best keep them in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    Absolutely, each to their own I say. My sister had two very happy indoor cats. Incidentally, I think that owners with outdoor cats should try to live in a safe environment away from roads or maybe best keep them in.

I agree about 'each to their own' and we should live and let live and not constantly criticise the choices of others. I only ever enter the indoor/outdoor debate in defence of my own choice and I don't appreciate being called lazy and not caring about my cats' safety etc by the indoor brigade when I know I'm not.

When I bought my current house, my number one criterion was that it should be on a quiet road away from traffic. I felt so sad here when my late cat died because I felt that this house was mainly hers - I had chosen it with her as my top priority. If I lived on a busy road (which I never have, coming from a country background) then I just wouldn't have cats. My brother lives in a busy part of London with no proper garden so, although he adores cats, he has chosen to keep rabbits which he mainly now keeps indoors since a couple were killed by a predator a few years ago. They go out under supervision only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know MK despite being on opposing sides often I would never suggest you are lazy or uncaring, you seem to supervise etc which means your cats are likely not harming anyone. What amazes me is you cannot see some owners are uncaring about their neighbours and the wildlife of our country. Also you seem oblivious to the horrors inflicted on cats these days by other people. You are a contradiction in that you obviously love cats very much but support others who don't seem quite as caring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Do you know MK despite being on opposing sides often I would never suggest you are lazy or uncaring, you seem to supervise etc which means your cats are likely not harming anyone. What amazes me is you cannot see some owners are uncaring about their neighbours and the wildlife of our country. Also you seem oblivious to the horrors inflicted on cats these days by other people. You are a contradiction in that you obviously love cats very much but support others who don't seem quite as caring.

I support the right of cats to go outdoors. I work long hours, sometimes I am away from my house for more than 14 hours so I rarely supervise my cats outdoors :confused: - they have a magnetic catflap by which they enter and exit my home. However, two of my cats don't go much further than the adjacent gardens, the third has a tendency to wander further but not so much recently. That is my cats' choice. I acknowledge that my cats do like to be outside when I'm outside too, they become very excited and playful - but they can come and go as they choose regardless of my presence or not

I don't support bad owners who don't care about their cats, who leave them outside all day, in all weathers, with no way of getting back inside to safety and warmth, who don't neuter their cats, apply flea or worming treatments and who rarely seek veterinary attention when their cats are obviously ill.

I can only speak from my own experience and I know a lot of people with cats, many of the doctors and nurses I work with have cats as well as a lot of friends and family members. I can honestly say that I don't know anyone who keeps their cat indoors only. Fortunately I come from a reasonably affluent and well educated background, my circle of friends, colleagues and family are intelligent people who have the means and knowledge and caring natures to provide for and care for their cats 'properly'. I also don't live in the type of rough area where the horrors you speak of are regularly inflicted on cats. It is still a worry when cats are outdoors but it is a risk I am prepared to take.

I have read a lot about cat welfare, I have read the pros and cons in the indoor/outdoor debate. I also come from a rural farming background so I consider myself in touch with nature and wildlife, I even donate to a wildlife charity. In my garden I have frogs around my outdoor fish pond and hibernating hedgehogs as well as several bird feeders and bird baths. My own cats are not good hunters but, even if they were, I would accept this as part of nature's cycle and I would actually think it was a good thing if they were keeping the mouse and rodent population down. In my opinion and from my own experience, cats are happier when they can indulge their natural instincts to explore and hunt.

People can choose to do what they want with their own cats, I know everybody has their own personal reasons and have their own cats' interests at heart - but I will never be persuaded that I am 'wrong' to let my cats outdoors.

I am not going to respond to the usual provocative posts that will inevitably emerge as a response to this post (from the usual indoor crew) - suffice to say that I will never change my mind :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I agree about 'each to their own' and we should live and let live and not constantly criticise the choices of others. I only ever enter the indoor/outdoor debate in defence of my own choice and I don't appreciate being called lazy and not caring about my cats' safety etc by the indoor brigade when I know I'm not.

When I bought my current house, my number one criterion was that it should be on a quiet road away from traffic. I felt so sad here when my late cat died because I felt that this house was mainly hers - I had chosen it with her as my top priority. If I lived on a busy road (which I never have, coming from a country background) then I just wouldn't have cats. My brother lives in a busy part of London with no proper garden so, although he adores cats, he has chosen to keep rabbits which he mainly now keeps indoors since a couple were killed by a predator a few years ago. They go out under supervision only.

I totally agree with this post, as I do most of your posts.

I get fed-up with the continual criticism on owners who allow their cats out. Posts such as this

Perhaps if people had to pay 1K for a kitten, they might take better care of their cat/s - and then people wonder why we might get just a bit defensive.

:confused: It's gone all bold!
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    I watch Jackson Galaxy, who fixes problem cats in USA on Sky,
    Why do most keep their cats indoors, it seems so cruel.
    Two reasons. Firstly, they have statistics that say the average life of an outdoor cat is only 2-5 years, against 15+ for an indoor cat. Secondly, they are concerned about the numbers of wild animals that outdoor cats kill.

Personally I find the first statistic hard to believe. I wonder how they define an "outdoor cat" - whether it means cats that are never allowed indoors. I get the impression also that Americans without outdoor cats are more likely to not bother with annual vaccinations than we are in the UK. An indoor-only cat is less likely to get cat-flu or other diseases. Similarly a lot of Americans think it's OK to declaw a cat for the owner's convenience. There are cultural differences between the UK and the USA.

As for second figure, it's true that cats kill a lot of wild animals. For example, the RSPB says that UK cats kill 275 million animals a year, of which 55 million are birds. But then it also says, "there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide." The bird populations are actually limited by other factors, such as nesting sites and availability of food. I think the same is probably true for America, but I could be wrong because they have different animals there..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I support the right of cats to go outdoors. I work long hours, sometimes I am away from my house for more than 14 hours so I rarely supervise my cats outdoors :confused: - they have a magnetic catflap by which they enter and exit my home. However, two of my cats don't go much further than the adjacent gardens, the third has a tendency to wander further but not so much recently. That is my cats' choice. I acknowledge that my cats do like to be outside when I'm outside too, they become very excited and playful - but they can come and go as they choose regardless of my presence or not

I don't support bad owners who don't care about their cats, who leave them outside all day, in all weathers, with no way of getting back inside to safety and warmth, who don't neuter their cats, apply flea or worming treatments and who rarely seek veterinary attention when their cats are obviously ill.

I can only speak from my own experience and I know a lot of people with cats, many of the doctors and nurses I work with have cats as well as a lot of friends and family members. I can honestly say that I don't know anyone who keeps their cat indoors only. Fortunately I come from a reasonably affluent and well educated background, my circle of friends, colleagues and family are intelligent people who have the means and knowledge and caring natures to provide for and care for their cats 'properly'. I also don't live in the type of rough area where the horrors you speak of are regularly inflicted on cats. It is still a worry when cats are outdoors but it is a risk I am prepared to take.

I have read a lot about cat welfare, I have read the pros and cons in the indoor/outdoor debate. I also come from a rural farming background so I consider myself in touch with nature and wildlife, I even donate to a wildlife charity. In my garden I have frogs around my outdoor fish pond and hibernating hedgehogs as well as several bird feeders and bird baths. My own cats are not good hunters but, even if they were, I would accept this as part of nature's cycle and I would actually think it was a good thing if they were keeping the mouse and rodent population down. In my opinion and from my own experience, cats are happier when they can indulge their natural instincts to explore and hunt.

People can choose to do what they want with their own cats, I know everybody has their own personal reasons and have their own cats' interests at heart - but I will never be persuaded that I am 'wrong' to let my cats outdoors.

I am not going to respond to the usual provocative posts that will inevitably emerge as a response to this post (from the usual indoor crew) - suffice to say that I will never change my mind :D

You said in an earlier post I was responding to you supervised them sorry if I misunderstood that to mean you did just that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is also the flip side - indoor cats that are neglected or overcrowded. Watch any cat episode of animal hoarders and you see upwards of 15 cats all living on top of each other which is very stressful for a predominately solitary creature like a cat, They are usually in terrible, insanitary conditions with no vaccinations, no medical treatments. Awful. :( And certainly worse than letting a cat roam.

Neither side in this debate is the 'bad' guy and neither side is perfect - both sides are just a bunch of people who mostly love cats - some come from the point of view it is best to let the cat exhibit natural behaviour in as natural an environment as possible so let the cat outside, some think safety is more important than anything so keep the cat inside.

I have an indoor cat at the moment as she doesn't have the where with all to go outside unsupervised. I don't care if I get criticised as I know it is the right thing for her, but I would resent being told I should let her live like a normal outdoor cat.

But I've had outdoor cats that lived long and happy lives - again the right thing for them and I resent being told that was wrong. Even if they had died young on a road - a short happy life is better than a long unhappy life.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as the cat is looked after and loved thats all that matters really, i decided to keep my cats indoors and im happy with my choice, ive been called cruel by many people but i'm most definitely not, my cats are happy and safe, they're vaccinated, healthy and have plenty of room to play...if your cat is safe to go outside then fine, mine aren't .....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Two reasons. Firstly, they have statistics that say the average life of an outdoor cat is only 2-5 years, against 15+ for an indoor cat. Secondly, they are concerned about the numbers of wild animals that outdoor cats kill.

Personally I find the first statistic hard to believe. I wonder how they define an "outdoor cat" - whether it means cats that are never allowed indoors. I get the impression also that Americans without outdoor cats are more likely to not bother with annual vaccinations than we are in the UK. An indoor-only cat is less likely to get cat-flu or other diseases. Similarly a lot of Americans think it's OK to declaw a cat for the owner's convenience. There are cultural differences between the UK and the USA.

As for second figure, it's true that cats kill a lot of wild animals. For example, the RSPB says that UK cats kill 275 million animals a year, of which 55 million are birds. But then it also says, "there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide." The bird populations are actually limited by other factors, such as nesting sites and availability of food. I think the same is probably true for America, but I could be wrong because they have different animals there..

It's not the same for america. the american bird societies have a strong voice for birds, whereas over here the societies care about money and wont do anything to risk losing member donations

Cats can make local populations of birds extinct, something which RSPB fail to mention, they have so many advantages over real wild predators and can deplete the amount of prey for wild predators. I would rather the estimated 55 million go to natural predators such as owls, etc
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think one thing that gets overlooked is the risk of disease to cats, especially that hunt. Cat bites can cause horrific infections in humans and each other.

A lot is made of dogs carrying diseases and spreading them by fouling public parks, whereas cats carry many of the same disease and parasites and are getting away with messing in your children's sand box.

If you are out 14 hours a day then don't get an animal that requires so much companionship and interaction, rather than just release them into the dangerous world for others to worry about.

As I have said countless times, there is a reason why legislation was introduced to stop dogs killing wildlife and livestock (don't think that a cat won't have a go at your neighbour's pets!), the sooner similar laws apply to cats the better IMHO *sigh*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    I also think one thing that gets overlooked is the risk of disease to cats, especially that hunt. Cat bites can cause horrific infections in humans and each other.

Indoor only cats can cause horrific infections in humans and each other.

A neutered cat will rarely get into fights with others and such bites can be easily treated. In over 40 years of having a cat, only twice have I had to deal with a bite on a cat - on one of those was an indoor cat. And I have only been bitten once and that was my fault.
    A lot is made of dogs carrying diseases and spreading them by fouling public parks, whereas cats carry many of the same disease and parasites and are getting away with messing in your children's sand box.

You could apply that argument to fox poop - best to cover over any sand pit when not in use to protect it from cats and foxes and teach/practice good hand hygiene.
    If you are out 14 hours a day then don't get an animal that requires so much companionship and interaction, rather than just release them into the dangerous world for others to worry about.

If you are out for 14 hours some days, most cats wouldn't be bothered if they have access to shelter, food and the outdoors. This is why we have cat flaps.
    As I have said countless times, there is a reason why legislation was introduced to stop dogs killing wildlife and livestock (don't think that a cat won't have a go at your neighbour's pets!), the sooner similar laws apply to cats the better IMHO *sigh*

Cats are treated as wild animals in this country unlike dogs. They present no more risk than foxes and a lot less risk to wild life than current intensive farming practices and urbanisation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps treating cats like wild animals is where we have gone wrong in this country. Before enough people realise how much harm is being done and decide to cull them like other species.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »

a recent survery by a US organisation revealed that the majority of kills attributed to cats, are conducted by feral cats, not owned cats, therefore the bigger issue is spaying/neutering, not letting cats out.

additionally, indoor cats are far more prone to diabetes and if not stimulated enough, behavioural problems.

Indoor/outdoor debates can rage on for weeks/months/years. I have outdoor cats, and always will do unless there is medical reason preventing them going out. But thats my choice and if someone wants to keep their cat indoors, then thats their choice which I have no problem with, as long as the cat is well cared for - which EVERY indoor cat owner will say they do, but I'm sure many don't.

BTW - of the 7 cats I've had over my life, one has been run over, but survived and is still with us at 11 years old. The others - two lived past 17, one died at 7, one at 2 and two are still with us. The four that have died all died of natural causes, one of a twisted gut, one of a genetic related cancer (not the contagious one), one of old age and one with liver problems.