Options

"They come over here, taking our jobs"

BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
Forum Member
✭✭
Do any other countries have this same sort of "They come over here, taking our jobs" mentality as the British?

Would you hear that phrase said anywhere else in the world? Or is it a typically British phrase?

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I've heard it in pretty much every country I've ever worked in.

The main difference is that in countries such as, say, Tunisia, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, Idonesia, the USA etc they actually send somebody from the government around to force non-resident workers to PROVE they're doing a job that no native person could do.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard it in Argentina and Japan, but the difference between them and people here is that they tend to be hardcore nationalists. Not sure what that says about people here. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok thanks guys, that pretty much straight up answers my question.

I was just trying to Google it but couldn't really find an answer, so asked here.
  • Options
    peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Importing labour is just plain wrong when there are so many of our own people on the dole and struggling to find work. If there is a training need, then the government should take steps to address that, not just bring people in from abroad.

I do laugh, though when people complaining about immigrants taking jobs then add "...and our women". Sounds like something from medieval times ... pillaging and raping.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say it on Craggy Island.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Importing labour is just plain wrong when there are so many of our own people on the dole and struggling to find work. If there is a training need, then the government should take steps to address that, not just bring people in from abroad.

I do laugh, though when people complaining about immigrants taking jobs then add "...and our women". Sounds like something from medieval times ... pillaging and raping.

So whats the solution? Apart from forcing the unemployed British person to take on a job that they may not want to do?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do any other countries have this same sort of "They come over here, taking our jobs" mentality as the British?

Would you hear that phrase said anywhere else in the world? Or is it a typically British phrase?

You here it more here because the UK government has had such a laughable immigration policy over the past 12 years.
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

The main difference is that in countries such as, say, Tunisia, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, Idonesia, the USA etc they actually send somebody from the government around to force non-resident workers to PROVE they're doing a job that no native person could do.

Well that knocked the wind out the OPs sails.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that knocked the wind out the OPs sails.

Hahaha :( I just wasn't sure if it was a phrase someone had said, that the media latched hold of. A bit like "We are all in this together".
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha :( I just wasn't sure if it was a phrase someone had said, that the media latched hold of. A bit like "We are all in this together".

Ok, I thought it was another thread castigating the British working class. If it wasn't the intention, I take it back.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    bowland37 wrote: »
    You here it more here because the UK government has had such a laughable immigration policy over the past 12 years.

You really don't hear it more here. I spent a year living in Italy and it was a huge thing over there. i think possibly because you say saw a lot more immigrants out on the street flogging dodgy dvds/handbags/shoes or sending their kids to beg outside supermarkets.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have heard it said in other European countries.

I myself was told to piss off back home whilst I was in Greece, and I was not even working there (no being paid I mean)
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick and tired of all those Romanian horses, coming over here and putting our poor British cows out of work. Go back to where you came from!
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    This, ^ ^ ^ ^ and the fact that everyone sees the UK as a soft touch. :cool:
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the 1960's when jobs were more available, than they are now.. and the 70's you could walk out of one job into another job in the same day... Now there were some jobs the the British white man did not want to do, the dirty jobs... and low paid jobs... so the west Indians started to take these jobs.
    my step father is from the west indies . so he knows... . when the jobs were fulfilled , the British white man started to complain, the the blacks had taken all our jobs,... which was bullshit.
    the English men were to proud to do these dirty jobs.... and to this day the saying has stuck like mud.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Heard it in Argentina and Japan, but the difference between them and people here is that they tend to be hardcore nationalists. Not sure what that says about people here. :D
    Really I can't imagine Japan having that same sort of loutish chavvy type who so often complains like we do here.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I've only ever heard that expression used as a satirical joke.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Do any other countries have this same sort of "They come over here, taking our jobs" mentality as the British??
    Loads - it would be hard outside of Burma or North Korea to find a country where this DIDN'T happen.
    It is typically British - but also typically German, Dutch, Spanish etc etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This, ^ ^ ^ ^ and the fact that everyone sees the UK as a soft touch. :cool:
    One of the oft ignored facts is that it is probably easier here than anywhere else in Europe to get illegal, unregistered work - indeed, some industries, like catering, hotels, car washing and cleaning - would struggle without it.

THAT'S why you see people trying to get here in the backs of trucks and under trains, not because every swan eating Polish asylum seeker on crack is offered a gold plated 12 bedroom council house built on the site of an honest UK pensioner's bungalow, or our 'generous' benefits system.

I wish the desponds and nomarks who constantly bleat on about the UK being a soft touch would turn their ire on companies - sometimes quite respectable ones - employing illegals, usually via a dodgy agency. If we cracked down on illegal employment, there wouldn't be the magnet you sometimes see.
  • Options
    DelfordengeDelfordenge Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »

I'm sick and tired of all those Romanian horses, coming over here and putting our poor British cows out of work.

Exactly. My mother-in-law suffered in this way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :yawn:
    The same immigration policy that allows beetroot faced British expats to post stuff on the Daily Heil website

"Moved here to avoid immigrant invasion" A.Hip.O'Crit, Marbella, Spain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Importing labour is just plain wrong when there are so many of our own people on the dole and struggling to find work. If there is a training need, then the government should take steps to address that, not just bring people in from abroad..

Well, inasmuch as one can influence private companies to do this. The problems in the past have been that there really was a shortage of labour. It still didn't stop British people whinging about immigrant invasions at the time, even though there was a crying need for it.

You have to, in part, blame private companies for being unwilling to invest in the UK's future and train British staff to work here? They figure "why should they, when they can get a cheaper, more flexible, fully trained alternative elsewhere?".

It's not, and it never has been this or the previous governments intention to 'bring people in from abroad' - it just happened.

Indeed, apparently it's alright for the no-neck face tattoo'd mouthbreathers to seduce Polish girls, but woe betide any Polish man trying to seduce a British girl.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Indeed, apparently it's alright for the no-neck face tattoo'd mouthbreathers to seduce Polish girls, but woe betide any Polish man trying to seduce a British girl.

I love the way you are the first to pounce on anyone who has 'stereotypical' views of immigrants or the EU and yet you are the first to run down the UK and its people. I have yet a see a post where you do not generalise or criticise the UK and the British, either at home or abroad.

If you really dislike it here so much, perhaps think about those open borders across the Channel....
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

ok this might be pretty dumb but what do you mean by non resident workers? what should anyone have to prove about a job if they were legally allowed in to work in that country? is it just all on the type of visa or whatever?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Well, inasmuch as one can influence private companies to do this. The problems in the past have been that there really was a shortage of labour. It still didn't stop British people whinging about immigrant invasions at the time, even though there was a crying need for it.

You have to, in part, blame private companies for being unwilling to invest in the UK's future and train British staff to work here? They figure "why should they, when they can get a cheaper, more flexible, fully trained alternative elsewhere?".

It's not, and it never has been this or the previous governments intention to 'bring people in from abroad' - it just happened.

And just imagine if they are Middle Eastern or African omggg lol :eek::D