Options

Doctors Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnhugh wrote: »

I think the problem is with the series is Julia leaving - she jelled it all together,

But Doctors was great before Julia came on the scene , really good in fact .It actually didn't need her or her friends.
  • Options
    pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunnyfoo wrote: »
    Meh episode today. Mandy is such a bore!

ABSOLUTELY!!!
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey are they so shirt staffed at the nick they are seconding officers in from the met now?
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,076
    Forum Member
    Re Mondays episode, I'm strongly suspecting that the BBC/Doctors may have had a bit of a hidden agenda on Mondays episode on a couple of basis.

First of all on the timing of the episode, was it really a coincidence that the episode/story was shown in the aftermath of MP's voting on the issue of gay marriage?

I'm strongly suspecting it was not a coincidence as and correct me if I'm wrong, as I missed a few bits in the begining, that episode was all about the one story, no other stories/bits at the Mill/Campus, am I right in that? If I am, then that episode could have been shown at any time hence why I think the BBC/Doctors may have chosen to have put this episode in the aftermath of that vote in parliament.

The other thing I am suspecting is that the BBC/Doctors may have been trying to guilt trip anyone who either disagrees with the issue of gay marriage and or has concerns over it and if the BBC/Doctors where trying to guilt trip people, I don't think they should have done that as many people including myself have concerns on religious reasons and the BBC/Doctors should have been mindful of this instead of trying to maybe guilt trip people.

I'm not prepared to get into an discussion on the issue on this thread as I have done that bigtime already in other parts of DS and I've generally said all I have to say on the matter but when I saw yesterdays episode, I really do think that what I wrote above could well have been the BBC's/Doctors intention.

What I will add is that I thought that Danielle Henry was very good in the episode and I thought the music was very good BUT, I think the ending is something that has been done before in other programmes/films and that kind of ending is getting a bit cliche now even though I can see why they go for those kind of endings when someone dies.

I did find it a bit odd though that the old lady went back to her younger self and spoke to her, rather than the younger "version" of the old lady not just being re-united with Mandy's double who's character name I didn't catch.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I'm not prepared to get into an discussion on the issue on this thread as I have done that bigtime already in other parts of DS and I've generally said all I have to say on the matter but when i saw yesterdays episode, I really do think that what I wrote above could well have been the BBC's/Doctors intention.

BIB - that's a big problem with your posts though - you come flying in with a dogmatic statement but you won't discuss why you think something. The episodes are filmed weeks in advance so I hardly think they've parachuted this one in as a political extra.
    I did find it a bit odd though that the old lady went back to her younger self and spoke to her rather than the younger "version" of the old lady not just being re-united with Mandy's double who's character name I didn't catch.

I thought that was odd too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    BIB - that's a big problem with your posts though - you come flying in with a dogmatic statement but you won't discuss why you think something. The episodes are filmed weeks in advance so I hardly think they've parachuted this one in as a political extra.

I thought that was odd too.

Its up to me whether or not to discuss things further. I am entitled to my views and I'm quite irked that your coming across that I should have to get into further discussions just because you want to get into them.

I've never looked up the definition of dogma but if your having a dig at me believing in a religion, I think that is out of order. I have not had a go at you for being an atheist so I don't think you or anyone should be having a go at anyone who believes in god and in a religion.

If you really want to know my views, you can search them up but like I said, I'm generally done with the matter.

If the BBC/Doctors where doing what I think they where doing, I had every right to state what I did.

p.s. Re the schedule of the episode, if you read my post properly, then you should be able to work out how the BBC may have chosen to shedule this episode for when they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Re Tuesdays episode: I think they messed up bigtime in not pointing out what the relationship was between the dead man's brother and the woman police officer. It only became apparent that they where married right at the end of the episode and before that, I wasn't sure if she was the wife of the dead brother and just concerned for her brother in law or was she his wife.

The actress that played the woman police officer, where have I seen her before? I think it may have been The Bill and if it was, then both herself and the actor that played her husband where ex Bill actors.

Looks like Al is in for a big let down with him thinking he has a chance with Jas and with the way he is with her, it contradicts his previous confidence about him and women. Remember when he learned about Daniel being eye candy (as said by Jas) and he said "So I've got some competition"? He came across as trying to sound genuinely confident that he too is eye candy but now he is acting like he knows he is going after somone "out of his league" like.

I suspected at the time that Al's confidence was a front on that one and when I say Jas is out of his league, thats not based on his looks per se. I think if he was in better shape, he could well be appealing looks wise. Also Jas seems to be well fussy in general, I mean, look what she did with Arun - twice over too! I feel sorry for anyone that gets romantically involved with her if she stays that fussy.
  • Options
    jules4stujules4stu Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Re Tuesdays episode: I think they messed up bigtime in not pointing out what the relationship was between the dead man's brother and the woman police officer. It only became apparent that they where married right at the end of the episode and before that, I wasn't sure if she was the wife of the dead brother and just concerned for her brother in law or was she his wife.

The actress that played the woman police officer, where have I seen her before? I think it may have been The Bill and if it was, then both herself and the actor that played her husband where ex Bill actors.

Looks like Al is in for a big let down with him thinking he has a chance with Jas and with the way he is with her, it contradicts his previous confidence about him and women. Remember when he learned about Daniel being eye candy (as said by Jas) and he said "So I've got some competition"? He came across as trying to sound genuinely confident that he too is eye candy but now he is acting like he knows he is going after somone "out of his league" like.

I suspected at the time that Al's confidence was a front on that one and when I say Jas is out of his league, thats not based on his looks per se. I think if he was in better shape, he could well be appealing looks wise. Also Jas seems to be well fussy in general, I mean, look what she did with Arun - twice over too! I feel sorry for anyone that gets romantically involved with her if she stays that fussy.

cor its been a while since ive inhabited DS though i have been browsing- i just wanted to let you know the dark haired lady was in the bill yonks ago; she played suzi croft (i think; though my memory may be failing me!). i cant remember how her character left the show tho.. also it was lovely to see john bowler. been a fan of his since "watching".

i think id like jas to get together with al; they seem very natural together. though i agree; she seems rather hard to please! ive warmed to al through this storyline; it seems all that rudeness could be him being socially inadequate. its nice to see a character becoming more rounded.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Its up to me whether or not to discuss things further. I am entitled to my views and I'm quite irked that your coming across that I should have to get into further discussions just because you want to get into them.

It's a discussion board, so if you don't want to discuss something there's no point mentioning it.
    I've never looked up the definition of dogma but if your having a dig at me believing in a religion, I think that is out of order. I have not had a go at you for being an atheist so I don't think you or anyone should be having a go at anyone who believes in god and in a religion.

You're making some real leaps in assumptions here - nobody is having a dig about your beliefs on this issue. You have absolutely no idea what my beliefs on the issue of gay marriage are, so please don't assume you do.
    If the BBC/Doctors where doing what I think they where doing, I had every right to state what I did.

Yes, but you've made a statement on a public forum, which means that people should be allowed to discuss it with you, or there's absolutely no point in posting.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris looks good with his hair a little shorter and looking at the preview, I'm so glad Daniel has shaved his beard off - he looks so much younger!

I can see the Emma/Sam/Howard plot just exploding sometime soon. We'll see more of upset Chris :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think i must be alone in that chris does nowt for me! although it must be said i dont think any character ever has- with the exception of the lovely ronnie. :)
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jules4stu wrote: »
    i think i must be alone in that chris does nowt for me! although it must be said i dont think any character ever has- with the exception of the lovely ronnie. :)

It's more his personality for me. I think he's really likeable and has been from day 1.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    It's more his personality for me. I think he's really likeable and has been from day 1.

i like him too and I think he and Karen have one of the most realistic marriages in any soap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    It's a discussion board, so if you don't want to discuss something there's no point mentioning it.

You're making some real leaps in assumptions here - nobody is having a dig about your beliefs on this issue. You have absolutely no idea what my beliefs on the issue of gay marriage are, so please don't assume you do.

Yes, but you've made a statement on a public forum, which means that people should be allowed to discuss it with you, or there's absolutely no point in posting.

First of all, I have given my views/opinions, not a statement. That is allowed you know. :rolleyes:

Have a look at the rules. There is nothing dictating that posters must get into discussions. Posters are free to post and leave it just on their posts alone and if they want to get into a discussion, they can't but they don't have to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cor its been a while since ive inhabited DS though i have been browsing- i just wanted to let you know the dark haired lady was in the bill yonks ago; she played suzi croft (i think; though my memory may be failing me!). i cant remember how her character left the show tho.. also it was lovely to see john bowler. been a fan of his since "watching".

i think id like jas to get together with al; they seem very natural together. though i agree; she seems rather hard to please! ive warmed to al through this storyline; it seems all that rudeness could be him being socially inadequate. its nice to see a character becoming more rounded.

Thanks, I thought so. There was a fair few in The Bill who got killed off, I wonder if she was one of them. Which one was John Bowler in todays episode? I saw a bit of Watching back in the day and I have the first series on DVD, was he the one who was about to retire in todays episode and played the main character in Watching? I' not sure if you do mean him as he was in Doctors about 18 months back and looked like he hadn't aged well in my view.

If you mean the dead mans brother, I don't remember him in Watching but I have seen him in Eastenders and the Bill and he always plays bad guys in those two programmes.

There is no way Jas will get with Al. She let Arun go and he was much more of a catch than Al and he wasn't good enough for her, so I'm not sure who she would be pleased with but I doubt it will be Al.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I forgot to mention about Emma earlier. Yet again, she is showing what a nosey parker side she has to her! If there is something she wants to know, she sure doesn't let up in trying to find out about it does she?

First with Howards girlfriend and now bugging Heston about Sam's appointment with him even though she knew that confidentiality rules wouldn't allow him to talk about it! She really got on my nerves again today and I don't like her nosey parker side at all.

All in all, Emma has more unlikeable things about her than she does that are nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I thought so. There was a fair few in The Bill who got killed off, I wonder if she was one of them. Which one was John Bowler in todays episode? I saw a bit of Watching back in the day and I have the first series on DVD, was he the one who was about to retire in todays episode and played the main character in Watching? I' not sure if you do mean him as he was in Doctors about 18 months back and looked like he hadn't aged well in my view.

If you mean the dead mans brother, I don't remember him in Watching but I have seen him in Eastenders and the Bill and he always plays bad guys in those two programmes.

There is no way Jas will get with Al. She let Arun go and he was much more of a catch than Al and he wasn't good enough for her, so I'm not sure who she would be pleased with but I doubt it will be Al.
    john bowler was the husband of the bill actress. he played roger valentine in the bill.. i think he played liza tarbucks husband in watching
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I really liked yesterday's episode too, even though I hadn't expected to. I thought Mandy was better as she'd toned it down a bit. I also thought the actress looked very pretty as a 1960s Jamaican dolly bird (good accent too)!

Rita Davies, who played the old lady, has been working regularly in film and TV since 1960, but appeared in two films in 1938!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0203935/

Thanks for posting that link. I recognized her as Mrs Lomax from Keeping Up Appearances.

I genuinely like Mandy and I enjoyed that episode. The story had nothing to do with same-sex marriage or religion so I don't what see what the controversy is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alan86 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that link. I recognized her as Mrs Lomax from Keeping Up Appearances.

I genuinely like Mandy and I enjoyed that episode. The story had nothing to do with same-sex marriage or religion so I don't what see what the controversy is.

The story was about a same sex couple who could not be together and I do think they where trying to get the same kind of point across as those who have been calling for gay marriage and like I said earlier, I do not think the episode and when it was scheduled was a coincidence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    john bowler was the husband of the bill actress. he played roger valentine in the bill.. i think he played liza tarbucks husband in watching

Ah right, that must have been in the later series of watching then as I don't recall him at all from series 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nome wrote: »
    check this out, it's the updated FAQ page from the beeb http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mh9v/faq

Really good link. I liked what they had to say about Al and its just like I thought to and its good that it looks like they will keep him on.

I think its a mistake though that the BBC do not release some DVD's of ongoing shows. At the very least they could start having the older series repeated one way or the other. I read over the years that the BBC has a share in the UK Gold channels or did and they should really considering how many old BBC programmes appear on it. If they still have a stake in Gold or other channels, they should repeat Doctors from series 1, I know its not as long or a continuing show, but look at how many tims they have repeated Only Fools and Horses. They are showing them again and its only been a few months since they last showed them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Regarding Monday's episode, at the start of the programme when Mandy was in the churchyard she made a phone call to Mrs Tembe and the fact that she ( Mandy) had just moved into a new flat was mentioned. That would suggest that the episode was in sequence and not just planted in there for whatever reason .
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    i like him too and I think he and Karen have one of the most realistic marriages in any soap

Wait Chris & Karen are married!!! Did I miss an episode. Lolol
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Ah right, that must have been in the later series of watching then as I don't recall him at all from series 1.

His character was in Watching from the beginning, he was Liza Tarbuck's married boyfriend in earlier series and they married during the course of the programme
  • Options
    Moomin STFCMoomin STFC Posts: 4,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re Mondays episode, I'm strongly suspecting that the BBC/Doctors may have had a bit of a hidden agenda on Mondays episode on a couple of basis.

First of all on the timing of the episode, was it really a coincidence that the episode/story was shown in the aftermath of MP's voting on the issue of gay marriage?

I'm strongly suspecting it was not a coincidence as and correct me if I'm wrong, as I missed a few bits in the begining, that episode was all about the one story, no other stories/bits at the Mill/Campus, am I right in that? If I am, then that episode could have been shown at any time hence why I think the BBC/Doctors may have chosen to have put this episode in the aftermath of that vote in parliament.

The other thing I am suspecting is that the BBC/Doctors may have been trying to guilt trip anyone who either disagrees with the issue of gay marriage and or has concerns over it and if the BBC/Doctors where trying to guilt trip people, I don't think they should have done that as many people including myself have concerns on religious reasons and the BBC/Doctors should have been mindful of this instead of trying to maybe guilt trip people.

I'm not prepared to get into an discussion on the issue on this thread as I have done that bigtime already in other parts of DS and I've generally said all I have to say on the matter but when I saw yesterdays episode, I really do think that what I wrote above could well have been the BBC's/Doctors intention.

What I will add is that I thought that Danielle Henry was very good in the episode and I thought the music was very good BUT, I think the ending is something that has been done before in other programmes/films and that kind of ending is getting a bit cliche now even though I can see why they go for those kind of endings when someone dies.

I did find it a bit odd though that the old lady went back to her younger self and spoke to her, rather than the younger "version" of the old lady not just being re-united with Mandy's double who's character name I didn't catch.

Mandy spoke to Mrs Tembe on the phone and mentioned something about being happy in her new house and as Mandy moved last week, the episode was definitely scheduled for the present time. Coincidence is all it was I think.
This discussion has been closed.