Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    It'll probably they'll able to fit in the outstanding dramas like Shetland, Case Histories etc

Yeah, the scheduling of Mary & Martha looks like a bit of a bundle designed to get that programme on air before Comic Relief without occupying Sundays. There'll be two more Call the Midwife's after Ripper Street finishes, so presumably they'll want to make use of them to support another returning/returnable drama.

BBC One have a stack of dramas coming up that looks destined for Sundays - not sure how they're all going to line up (or whether they left any budget behind for stuff during the week!). There's Shetland (2 episodes), Case Histories (3), Quirke (3), Jonathan Creek (1), The Lady Vanishes (1), The Village (6), The White Queen (10) - then later in the year Sherlock (3), Wallander (3), George Gently (4).
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness kill the midwife is halfway through to ending! Hope they dont give it another christmas day promotion. Any five mins I've seen is women wailing and nuns on bikes. Shame it cant just end with the end of the books! Hopefully the british public will tire of this particular genre quickly itv will pitch something new and fresh against it and the third dose will start bombing in the ratings
    Roll on case histories for sundays instead and shetland both set in scotland for a change and something under 60's can enjoy on sunday evenings at last. The schedule has been really dull over january on sundays what with mr selfridge on itv as well which is again serving a much older audience along with countryfile family fortunes and dancing on ice. None of these shows are very dynamic and ripper street has been simply grotesque. Look forward to the change
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Yeah, the scheduling of Mary & Martha looks like a bit of a bundle designed to get that programme on air before Comic Relief without occupying Sundays. There'll be two more Call the Midwife's after Ripper Street finishes, so presumably they'll want to make use of them to support another returning/returnable drama.

BBC One have a stack of dramas coming up that looks destined for Sundays - not sure how they're all going to line up (or whether they left any budget behind for stuff during the week!). There's Shetland (2 episodes), Case Histories (3), Quirke (3), Jonathan Creek (1), The Lady Vanishes (1), The Village (6), The White Queen (10) - then later in the year Sherlock (3), Wallander (3), George Gently (4).

Something like The Lady Vanishes could air on Easter Monday when the news can be moved back or Panorama is off the air for the day. The Village and Quirke I think could be weekday dramas as well.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Neither are Juventus.

Not the sort of tie you normally see on ITV. They'll be alienating a lot of their core audience with two pretty unglamarous football ties in as many days. Doubt the ratings will be too brilliant for these either.
    Juventus, unglamorous? Better than the likes of Cluj, who Man U were playing before Christmas. And Celtic are a famous club, not as much as Man U, no, but probably more famous than the likes of Wigan. I'd put them up there with Real Madrid in terms of viewer interest.

Shows how much you know about football Dancc (especially European football). Celtic v Juventus is one hell of a game, and whilst it might not bring huge ratings, it certainly is a glamour tie.

I think you may be over exaggerating slightly Steve. Whilst Celtic are big, they are not Real Madrid big. Their qualifier back in August just scraped 2m.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I dont think channel four is successful with it either but it seems that's the direction they want to go when jay hunt talks about the channel. She wants it to be irreverant but dont think she is making it very good either but she seems to be going for cult shows rather than mainstream hits.
    Channel four has shown mixture of mainstream and cult over its history. Brookside captured millions and brought viewers to the channel

But lately it seems to want to abandon any mainstream. I think hunt is responsible for its spiraling share. It no longer competes with bbc two which creates good drama and interesting schedules. I dont know who or what channel four is for now it is as white and bland and contrived as its logo junctions. Its kinda souless at the moment. I think a new director is needed to inject life into a dying channel

It used to be a mix of different things but its just quite like entering the tate modern and finding a cement brick sitting on a wooden floor. Its a channel that isn't that loveable any longer.
    "If nobody is watching this show, we should carry on doing it" - Michael Grade on Vic Reeves Big Night Out, in 1990. I don't see why Black Mirror should be considered anything out of the ordinary or recommissioned because of bizarre reasons. C4 and BBC2 have always frequently recommissioned shows that get comparatively low ratings because they get the right kind of viewers. That's nothing to do with Jay Hunt, that's the way the channel has always worked. It only might look different now because C4 is showing too much mainstream stuff.

Channel 4's audience share is dropping. When things like 'Richard III: Car Park King' and 'Big Fat Gyspy Valentine' are getting 3m+, and described as big, then C4 know they have a problem. Any commercial broadcaster should have a clear business strategy, but there doesn't seem to be one for Channel 4. I know they have a remit, but they should still have some commercially successive shows. There is a difference between sticking to the remit, and taking the piss, and C4 seem to do the latter more often than not (especially since Jay Hunt took over).

They need to get a grip, especially during daytime. New episodes of 3 series a day will wear thin pretty quick. If they don't pace themselves, they will be showing repeats throughout the Autumn. The new 3.30pm slot is stupid; not only has it brought Countdown right down, but it drains their daytime budget pretty quickly.

The quicker it's sorted, the better. Next week, their focus on the elusive 'remit' brings us; Obsessive Cleaners, Secret Shoppers and a fly-on-the-wall doc in a Fried Chicken Shop! Love to see where those fit into the remit! The money wasted on these could be better spent on a decent factual series or a good drama. Basically what I am saying is that the C4 board should get rid of Jay Hunt and David Abraham as soon as possible, or face a government bailout. The good ship Channel 4 is slowly sinking.

Rant over. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The drama slate certainly looks full of new ideas for bbc one. The showreel looks good although the clips of each individual show a bit confusing as to what is what series. But the village looks promising and im looking forward to victoria wood in case histories. I wonder if sky and itv are quite envious!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if BBC Two will air their forthcoming dramas on the day BBC One isn't showing drama? it would be nice if they creating a slot solely for their dramas which viewers can find, The Fall and Top of the Lake look very good as does Peaky Binders,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if BBC Two will air their forthcoming dramas on the day BBC One isn't showing drama? it would be nice if they creating a slot solely for their dramas which viewers can find, The Fall and Top of the Lake look very good as does Peaky Binders,

Would make sense if they took up the baton during the week if bbc one cupboard is bare. The hour doesn't get a third go despite bbctwo controller hadlow defending it and being a big fan. Thought she may have continued with it as she seemed quite proud of it but it just didn't connect with an audience
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    jda135 wrote: »
    Shows how much you know about football Dancc (especially European football). Celtic v Juventus is one hell of a game, and whilst it might not bring huge ratings, it certainly is a glamour tie.
    Yes, it was so open and exciting wasn't it? :yawn:

Germany and Spain is where it's at. Italian football has been on the wane for some time IMO.
  • Options
    mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,678
    Forum Member
    Any news on how being Eileen do last night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would make sense if they took up the baton during the week if bbc one cupboard is bare. The hour doesn't get a third go despite bbctwo controller hadlow defending it and being a big fan. Thought she may have continued with it as she seemed quite proud of it but it just didn't connect with an audience

The ratings weren't good and there's no point continuing a show with little chance of growth, I liked the show but not surprised its been dropped,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The ratings weren't good and there's no point continuing a show with little chance of growth, I liked the show but not surprised its been dropped,

It looked beautifully filmed from brief bits I watched but probably like many I didn't stick with it. It had wonderful actors in it too but guess it had to come to an end if after two series it was loosing the audience. Would have been fine in days of lots of licience fee money on bbc four. But now they are to stop producing drama too!
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Channel 4's audience share is dropping. When things like 'Richard III: Car Park King' and 'Big Fat Gyspy Valentine' are getting 3m+, and described as big, then C4 know they have a problem. Any commercial broadcaster should have a clear business strategy, but there doesn't seem to be one for Channel 4. I know they have a remit, but they should still have some commercially successive shows. There is a difference between sticking to the remit, and taking the piss, and C4 seem to do the latter more often than not (especially since Jay Hunt took over).

They need to get a grip, especially during daytime. New episodes of 3 series a day will wear thin pretty quick. If they don't pace themselves, they will be showing repeats throughout the Autumn. The new 3.30pm slot is stupid; not only has it brought Countdown right down, but it drains their daytime budget pretty quickly.

The quicker it's sorted, the better. Next week, their focus on the elusive 'remit' brings us; Obsessive Cleaners, Secret Shoppers and a fly-on-the-wall doc in a Fried Chicken Shop! Love to see where those fit into the remit! The money wasted on these could be better spent on a decent factual series or a good drama. Basically what I am saying is that the C4 board should get rid of Jay Hunt and David Abraham as soon as possible, or face a government bailout. The good ship Channel 4 is slowly sinking.

Rant over. :D
    Picking a few stupid sounding shows as the sole argument as to Channel 4 being awful is pretty daft.

There's plenty of areas where C4 is lacking, daytime is an obvious problem, overkill of certain shows and the scheduling is appalling at times. But, there's plenty of successful programming that attracts the sort of demo's that ITV would love like The Undateables and One Born Every Minute plus distinctive drama that you wouldn't get anywhere else on British TV like Utopia and Black Mirror.

I'm far from a Jay Hunt fan but the ship isn't sinking just yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Germany and Spain is where it's at. Italian football has been on the wane for some time IMO.

I'm well aware of 'where it's at' right now. But the game tonight was, I'm sure, far from people's expectations. Celtic had the ball for large parts, and had they been more clinical, the game would very well have been more open. Italian football is on the up again, but it wasn't a game between 2 Italian teams. I think you forget that there is interest in Celtic, seeing as we are in Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Picking a few stupid sounding shows as the sole argument as to Channel 4 being awful is pretty daft.

There's plenty of areas where C4 is lacking, daytime is an obvious problem, overkill of certain shows and the scheduling is appalling at times. But, there's plenty of successful programming that attracts the sort of demo's that ITV would love like The Undateables and One Born Every Minute plus distinctive drama that you wouldn't get anywhere else on British TV like Utopia and Black Mirror.

I'm far from a Jay Hunt fan but the ship isn't sinking just yet.

The few stupid sounding shows are actually not a few. They're becoming more and more common.

The Undateables and One Born aren't part of a slate of successful programming. They are the two stand out shows in a sea of mediocrity. The only demos that C4 try and attract are 16-34 and ABC1 adults. They don't really bother with 65+ in primetime, yet it's potentially where they could boost a show's audience.

The distinctive drama is all well and good, but if they don't really attract large-ish audiences, then they won't get the demos that ITV do get.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They gave it two series (which is one more series than most drama in its position would have gotten I suspect) to try and find an audience though. Also the cast probably made it a little too expensive to continue at least relative to its popularity and as has been mentioned previously their availablity going forward might not have been the easiest thing to manage.
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Picking a few stupid sounding shows as the sole argument as to Channel 4 being awful is pretty daft...
    It isn't just a few stupid shows though is it? Its a near endless raft of mind numbing docu-reality shows that play to ever diminsihing returns. Channel 4 has become utterly obsessed with this genre of televison over the past few years and its beginning to reach ever more absurd heights with some of their new commissions. These shows can certainly have a place on a channel's schedule but they can't be all that schedule is. It might not be such a big problem if they weren't airing so many of them within the same week. This week they'll air Big Fat Gypsy Valentine (twice), Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, One Born Every Minute and The Hotel. And that's without also getting into things like Britain's Secret Shoppers and Supersize vs. Superskinny.

Channel 4 desperately needs to start injecting more variety into their schedule.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Undateables and One Born aren't part of a slate of successful programming. They are the two stand out shows in a sea of mediocrity. The only demos that C4 try and attract are 16-34 and ABC1 adults. They don't really bother with 65+ in primetime, yet it's potentially where they could boost a show's audience.
    Boosting a shows audience (with 65+ viewers) is utterly meaningless though if you're selling it to advertisers on the strength of viewers under 35. There's nothing inherently wrong with Channel 4's focus on younger viewers in prime time assuming they're actually able to attract those younger viewers. There would actually be very little upside to them targetting older viewers I suspect. It wouldn't substatially increase their revenue and would probably alienate younger viewers to some extent and cause them even more problems.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    Here's a look at how the four main broadcasters did in the BARB Monthly Shares for January 2013:

Channel 4
    C4: 6.2 % (6.6%), E4: 1.9% (1.7%), Film4: 1.5 % (1.6%), More4: 1.3 % (1.1%), 4Music: 0.2 % (0.3%), 4Seven: 0.3% (n/a)
    --> Total: 11.4% (January 2012: 11.3%)

For Channel 4, E4 (+12%) continues its strong run of form with its best January share since 2007 (2.3%). More4 (+18%) grew its share for the fifth month in a row, but Film4 (-6%) and 4Music (-33%) both slipped. 4Seven continues to add a decent 0.3% share for Channel 4 meaning that even though the main channel was down y-o-y, the overall rise in share for the digital channels meant that Channel 4 overall as a broadcaster was up year-on-year.

ahh facts:)
  • Options
    JackkJackk Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    With the rumoured BGT premiere date of the 13th April, and the announcements of the changes to The Voice format, here's how I think The Voice will be scheduled:

I imagine it'll be back on the same night as BGT, so;

Blind Auditions (six episodes instead of four): 13th, 20th, 27th, 4th (May), 11th, 18th

Battles Weekend: 25th and 26th May

Knockouts Weekend: 1st and 2nd June

Live Shows: 8th (15th and 22nd - if there's only three live shows as rumoured)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    . They are the two stand out shows in a sea of mediocrity. The only demos that C4 try and attract are 16-34 and ABC1 adults. They don't really bother with 65+ in primetime, yet it's potentially where they could boost a show's audience..
    yeah advertisers love pensioners:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jackk wrote: »
    With the rumoured BGT premiere date of the 13th April, and the announcements of the changes to The Voice format, here's how I think The Voice will be scheduled:

I imagine it'll be back on the same night as BGT, so;

Blind Auditions (six episodes instead of four): 13th, 20th, 27th, 4th (May), 11th, 18th

Battles Weekend: 25th and 26th May

Knockouts Weekend: 1st and 2nd June

Live Shows: 8th (15th and 22nd - if there's only three live shows as rumoured)

Battles almost certainly more than 2 episodes. Teams of 12 [10 last year ]+ the steal twist. Also it took 4 sessions to record, the knockouts will be recorded in 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Boosting a shows audience (with 65+ viewers) is utterly meaningless though if you're selling it to advertisers on the strength of viewers under 35. There's nothing inherently wrong with Channel 4's focus on younger viewers in prime time assuming they're actually able to attract those younger viewers. There would actually be very little upside to them targetting older viewers I suspect. It wouldn't substatially increase their revenue and would probably alienate younger viewers to some extent and cause them even more problems.

I meant in a capacity of attracting an overall audience. What I was suggesting was to create programmes that are less focused on 16-34, and try something skewing older. It wouldn't be alienating younger viewers, in the same way that Law & Order:UK or Doctor Who don't alienate a younger audience. Chasing a younger audience with endless amounts of crap won't help C4. Don't underestimate the power of an older audience. They are the most likely to sit down and watch TV (with full concentration), where as a younger audience will go out, or spend time with their friends or be on social media (and get distracted). Revenue wise, why do you see brands like P&O Cruises and VIking Cruises sponsoring dramas on ITV, with 6 or 7 figure deals? Because there are shows that are skewed older, and bring in an older audience. There is plenty of evidence to show how valuable an older audience can be.
    jake lyle wrote: »
    ahh facts:)
    jake lyle wrote: »
    yeah advertisers love pensioners:D

I appreciate you know nothing jake. Last time I posted something directly at you, you chose not to reply. The facts, if you look at them, are that C4 is down. Offset by E4 and More4, the C4 Portfolio is up, but the main channel is down!! It is the main channel I am talking about.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    The few stupid sounding shows are actually not a few. They're becoming more and more common.

The distinctive drama is all well and good, but if they don't really attract large-ish audiences, then they won't get the demos that ITV do get.
    16-34s and ABC1 are the most valuable demos that's why C4 go after them and do pretty well in them. IIRC, C4's share of 16-34 viewers was up in 2012.

You mentioned C4 needing commercially successful shows but now you want them to attract more 65+ viewers, the demographic that advertisers will pay the least money for. C4 has always attracted a smaller but younger audience than ITV and the BBC. Why should C4 spend a lot of money trying to attract more older viewers in the probable expense of losing younger viewers when they will make less money in ad revenue?

And your last point contradicts itself, C4 dramas often get much better demos than ITV without getting a high overall rating. Black Mirror will skew a lot more upmaket than pretty much any drama on ITV and something like Fresh Meat will skew far younger and actually skewed much more upmarket than anything on ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Black mirror scored a 17% share amongst 16 - 34 year olds. The highest % in its slot. " Broadcast now
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I appreciate you know nothing jake. Last time I posted something directly at you, you chose not to reply. The facts, if you look at them, are that C4 is down. Offset by E4 and More4, the C4 Portfolio is up, but the main channel is down!! It is the main channel I am talking about.

Channel 4's family of Channels up 0.1% on last year. 4Seven, which didn't exist last January, has a 0.3% share, so that more than covers the increase.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you may be over exaggerating slightly Steve. Whilst Celtic are big, they are not Real Madrid big. Their qualifier back in August just scraped 2m.

Yes, but they were playing Rosenberg, one of the least exciting opponents imaginable. I actually meant Celtic would probably get similar ratings to Real Madrid if they were both playing a foreign team, if you had Real vs Juventus last night it probably would have got the same size audience - we'll see in a few weeks when they show Real vs Milan on ITV. The rating will include viewers in Glasgow, for a start.

Not really the point, though, is it, because as far as the casual audience are concerned Juventus are a famous old club. Russian football is rolling in cash but the likes of Anzhi Makhachkala are hardly a bigger draw than Inter Milan. Same as Liverpool, they're below West Brom in the Premier League but try selling a West Brom match to a foreign audience compared to a Liverpool one.
This discussion has been closed.