Options

BBC Radio 2 and Chris Moyles

jackpot69jackpot69 Posts: 113
Forum Member
I was listening to Steve Wright today on Radio 2 and I thought how perfect this slot would be for Chris Moyles, I'm also quite angry that not having Chris Moyles currently on National Radio is a utter waste of talent he belongs in radio not on stage or TV.

I also feel that Simon Mayo and Steve Wright have had there time on National Radio and they should now make way for the likes of Chris Moyles who no doubt will increase the listeners hugely.

Comments

• Options
    Biker JeffBiker Jeff Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree..... Moyles would be great in this afternoon slot. If it happens i'll deffo start tuning into R2 again from 2pm.
    Steve Wrights show is now so stale it has mould growing on it.
  • Options
    jackpot69jackpot69 Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Biker Jeff wrote: »
    I agree..... Moyles would be great in this afternoon slot. If it happens i'll deffo start tuning into R2 again from 2pm.
    Steve Wrights show is now so stale it has mould growing on it.

Yeah Steve Wright would be better on Smooth 70's or Gold I think, the show sounded utterly boring and stale.

Chris moyles would bring so much life to Radio 2, and with Chris Evens in the morning it certainly would be my station to listen to.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure he'll end up on Radio 2 eventually but he may need to be eased in gently, in the same way Chris Evans was via a weekend show.
  • Options
    james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackpot69 wrote: »
    I'm also quite angry that not having Chris Moyles currently on National Radio

This is why I love Digital Spy.

The guy is under contract to BBC Radio. He may appear, he may not. Steve Wright is enjoyed by many however that's not to say that Chris Moyles may appear at Radio 2.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's back with King Herod in Jesus Christ Superstar later this year, and an announcement is due shortly to take it global. So maybe he will be doing that.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,855
    Forum Member
    This is why I love Digital Spy.

The guy is under contract to BBC Radio. He may appear, he may not. Steve Wright is enjoyed by many however that's not to say that Chris Moyles may appear at Radio 2.

I type this so often but don't mind repeating it again as I personally think Steve is perfect afternoon listening.

Steve's show is the most listened to UK afternoon radio show so why would he be replaced?

Should Moyles ever come to Radio 2, and I hope he does, then it will surely be via a weekend slot once a week to start with to test audience reaction. I'd sooner listen to Chris Moyles on Saturday afternoon than Dermot O Leary who can't seem to ever find time to do the show live any longer.
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we need a Radio 2.5 or as I have mentioned before a 2Extra. as i dont disagree that CM should eventually be on R2 he isnt my taste but R2 is what i want to listen to. Rghtly its home to ex R1 presenters but i just feel that many 55plus age group still want a more relaxed traditional style of presentation and music
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mind you, he could follow in Simon Mayo's footsteps and move from R1 to 5 Live

I think a talk format would suit him
    Perfectly
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Mind you, he could follow in Simon Mayo's footsteps and move from R1 to 5 Live

I think a talk format would suit him
    Perfectly

Or LBC, BBC London or Talk Sport?
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I type this so often but don't mind repeating it again as I personally think Steve is perfect afternoon listening.

Steve's show is the most listened to UK afternoon radio show so why would he be replaced?

Spot on! Long live Wrighty

Radio 2 already has too many post Bannister R1 rejects.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still love Steve Wright's show. I don't think it's stale at all, at least he doesn't play country music and make nonsensical remarks like Walker, or ignorant whiney callers like Vine.

I'd like Moyels back, but in the morning on 2.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would Moyles work as a solo act?
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Or LBC, BBC London or Talk Sport?

As talking seems to be all that Moyles ever did on Radio 1 the above suggestions would be most suitable. In fact anything to keep him OFF radio 2 please.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »

He covered for Greg James once and it was just him.

I don't think he'll ever get 'the old team' back together (for various reasons), but both Simon Mayo and Chris Evans run a 'limited' Zoo style of radio (in that they have regular people on-air each day, but not to the same level or amount as Moyles did), and I'm sure he would do something like that.

Would imagine him and Dom back together, but not maybe Dave of course...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    I think that Moyles, Dom and Aled would definitely be back on the programme.. Tina will still be on the R1 Breakfast, and Dave won't be on the show, for obvious reasons.. So maybe they'll get another guy/girl to be on the programme?
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    When Moyles left breakfast I had a feeling we wouldn't hear anything from him on the radio for a while.

If he has any sense he'll spend the time trying new projects like Jesus Chris Superstar, seeing if any of them work for him, and then see if he can get his way into Radio 2. Given how Moyles matured over his eight years at breakfast, another few years would probably make him ideal for the station. It also lowers the possibility of a horrible clash with Chris Evans.

He couldn't just barge in to breakfast or drivetime, his (somewhat unfair) reputation would preceed him. But as stated by other posters, a wee weekend show to get him established at the station would be the start point, then deputising on Radio 2, maybe for Steve Wright.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Moyles would be Great I also Think that Simon Hirst (Hirsty) would suit the Afternoon Show on Radio 2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Should Moyles ever come to Radio 2, and I hope he does, then it will surely be via a weekend slot once a week to start with to test audience reaction. I'd sooner listen to Chris Moyles on Saturday afternoon than Dermot O Leary who can't seem to ever find time to do the show live any longer.

Ever thought Wright might step down eventually like Wogan did? Agree on O Leary his show is just awful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well he managed it at Signal Radio, Chiltern and Capital! In fact I thought his shows there were better than on Radio 1, as this was Chris Moyles before he was so up himself.

I can't imagine the brash, rude, insulting Moyles at Radio 2. Evans in the morning, Moyles on afternoons? No way -wouldn't happen unless its years later eg Moyles V2.0 like Evans V.2.0 reborn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Would love to hear Moyles on R2, or a talk station.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 live would be good for him so he then can talk non stop about his beloved football (which used to bore the hell out of me on Radio 1)
  • Options
    Forum Member

On a music based show then yes but on a talk show then no.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think he would. As others have said, he did really when he covered for Greg James with little notice and minimal preparation.

Although, last summer, he teamed up with Scott Mills to present a segment from the Hackney Weekend. They sounded brilliant together.

I remember sitting in the car, waiting for them to finish because I didn't want to miss any.

Whether a show could support the 2 of them together for the long term is questionable, but with Mills having limited time left at Radio 1, I personally find it an interesting prospect.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin_S wrote: »
    5 live would be good for him so he then can talk non stop about his beloved football (which used to bore the hell out of me on Radio 1)

Not that I'd want Danny Baker to leave his Saturday morning 5Live slot because he's excellent, but if for any reason in the future this gig did become vacant, I think it would be ready made for Chris Moyles to present. A football orientated show with an irreverent style - it's ideal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember in 1998 when moyles hated football.