Options

Leona Lewis starts work on fourth album due for release this year

AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I hope it'll contain more songs like Glassheart and Come Alive, but I have a nasty feeling that her label will force her to just do ballads in an attempt to reclaim her UK Princess of pop crown.

Comments

• Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish her all the best - I really liked Glassheart and it saddened me to see it flopped because it was not a bad album. I mean, there were certainly worst albums out there that sold more than Glassheart - despite the fact that it peaked at no.3, selling just 27k is embarrassing.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I hope it'll contain more songs like Glassheart and Come Alive, but I have a nasty feeling that her label will force her to just do ballads in an attempt to reclaim her UK Princess of pop crown.

I fail to see what she can do to claw back that title which she claimed for really a year at her peak. If she does ballads the mrket is already over saturated and dominated by the likes of Adele and Emeli. Dance is a spent genre that offers nothing new and the public at large do not want a dance Leona. So maybe the best route is mid-tempo R&B with a few Hip-Hop collaborations. But for me she has kind of had it blown it and is almost finished :o the public as a whole just do not care.

Also she needs to promote and tour heavily if she even stands a chance of a comeback no more one off appearances on X factor then disappearing she gotta put in the graft to reap the rewards.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best thing for her to do is not try to follow any trends. I think she should release something that sounds like Leona. Of course, she gets criticised for trying to change up her sound but also criticised for not evolving her sound. She can't really win and it's difficult but I believe in you Leona!!

There's nothing wrong with the music on Glassheart, there are many potential hits on there. She just needs more radio support and better promotion. Hopefully with new management she can get that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but most of the times, except for really established artists who work on their own terms, the release date of the album is usually 6 to 9 months after the label initially reports. I don't think she's going to release anything before winter 2014.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but most of the times, except for really established artists who work on their own terms, the release date of the album is usually 6 to 9 months after the label initially reports. I don't think she's going to release anything before winter 2014.

Leona apparently recorded Spirit in about 5 or 6 months, so if she records straight after her tour she could have it out by the end of the year.

Edit: Also I don't think Syco will mess around this time, I doubt Leona will be given as much time as she wants like before, they will probably have more control over this album aswell.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this actually been confirmed though? Especially as you presented us with no source.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Is this actually been confirmed though? Especially as you presented us with no source.

It's on the main Digitalspy site.

http://digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a459324/leona-lewis-to-release-fourth-studio-album-at-the-end-of-2013.html
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Syco spokesperson confirmed she will start work on a new album imminently to be released later this year, so it is official.
    "Leona Lewis is one of the UK's most successful artists, one of a few that have enjoyed huge global success in recent years selling more than 20 million records worldwide," it said.

"She will begin the recording of her fourth album imminently to be released later this year. She remains a key priority artist for Syco and for Sony Music Worldwide."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a459324/leona-lewis-to-release-fourth-studio-album-at-the-end-of-2013.html
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this is surprising with Glassheart still warm.

Always happy for new Leona material though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Always great to have new music from Leona but really wish they would give "Glassheart" a single release - the song could be a massive club hit and chart hit (with the right video and airplay support).

I think the new album will be very ballad orientated (no issue from me with that) with a couple of covers - perhaps a high profile duet would help as well. I think the Lil Wayne collaboration at the VMAs a few years back was a missed opportunity as it worked really well - he's not really my cup of tea but they did complement one another.

Hopefully, new management will help Leona and give her a fresh approach to her career.

I would love to see Leona at the top of the UK and US charts again - she has an amazing voice.

Best of luck to her - looking forward to seeing her at the R.A.H. in May and to any new material which may surface.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see Leona sign to Roc Nation in the US, they have some great pop songwriters and producers Leona could work with. I think if she made an album like 'Rihanna - Loud' she'd be welcomed more by non-fans that appreciate her talent though and casual fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last thing she should do is a 'Rhiana' type albe. Talk about desperation.

I'd like her to follow her creative path and look towards her influences and interests. Collaborations with good, creative writers. Something with an edge, something like no-one else is doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And no album until next year. There is no need to rush out another under-performing CD.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs to have some creative control taken away from her imo, as much as I love her, she doesn't know what she is doing sometimes. She delayed Glassheart and lost songs like WFL because she was pushing for Trouble as the lead single, a song which she'd had ready since 2011.

She followed her creative instincts with Glassheart and while she came up with arguably her best album, it just wasn't commercial enough and took too long for what it was. I actually hope the label takes control like they did with Spirit and gets hold of some hits for her to record because Leona keeps turning away good songs which go on to be hits for other artists.

Another album by this year will be a good thing though, she doesn't have the luxury of waiting 2 years to record an album again. She needs to get out there and keep at it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last thing she needs is to be led by the hand and given tracks just to put her vocal on and then rush out another under-performer. What's the point of that.

If she does release a new album this year, I'd aim for the Christmas market with a dark Wintry album, something like Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow.

I suspect it might even be a 'Best of' with some new songs.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    The last thing she needs is to be led by the hand and given tracks just to put her vocal on and then rush out another under-performer. What's the point of that.

If she does release a new album this year, I'd aim for the Christmas market with a dark Wintry album, something like Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow.

I suspect it might even be a 'Best of' with some new songs.

that clearly is exactly what she needs. the rush release of another album this year, does seem a little desperate, but its obvious she needs more direction. clive davis said as much after `echo` and yet she was given more creative control for this album.:confused:

the point is obvious surely? her latest album underperformed and now the experts are taking over. `glassheart` is a good record, but it was not worth the wait, so people at the label are rightfully taking back some creative control. the music industry is a business and leona is an asset. they cant just simply pander to every creative whim she may have.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The last thing she needs to do is clear off to America once again and spend most of the year in a recording studio. They need to find her a couple of decent songs right now and release them. Leona needs to promote like crazy in the UK this summer and be everywhere. The last thing she should be doing is repeating the same mistakes like they did with Echo and Glassheart (X-Factor in October, single and album in November and out of the top 40 by December).

A definition of madness is repeating the same mistakes and expecting a different outcome each time. They need to stop this nonsense.

She doesn't need another album out this year, she needs a hit single NOW.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    that clearly is exactly what she needs. the rush release of another album this year, does seem a little desperate, but its obvious she needs more direction. clive davis said as much after `echo` and yet she was given more creative control for this album.:confused:

the point is obvious surely? her latest album underperformed and now the experts are taking over. `glassheart` is a good record, but it was not worth the wait, so people at the label are rightfully taking back some creative control. the music industry is a business and leona is an asset. they cant just simply pander to every creative whim she may have.

I completely agree with you :p

The thing is, after the success of Spirit, the label pretty much handed most of the creative direction over to Leona. That's why she was heavily involved in writing Echo and some of Glassheart. I was shocked when I heard she had turned down songs like Impossible which went to Shontelle and Night Of Your Life by J.Hud and Guetta....and even more shocked that she wasn't willing to commit to We Found Love because she preferred Trouble.

Syco have been sloppy with promoting her etc, but she has caused quite a few problems by being headstrong behind the scenes. She had limited control with Spirit and it was her most successful campaign. I agree that the label needs to take over and get her back to recording more commercially viable hits as even though Glassheart was great as an album, it wasn't commercial enough.

It's all very well saying "let Leona be creative" etc, but that's what she has been doing for the past few years now and it obviously isn't working. With new management and the label being more in control, I think it will benefit Leona's career more than anything. I'd rather that than the label letting her do what she wants only to drop her when the material under-performs.
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs to revert back to her old sound from Spirit. That's why she became big, and with GH she ditched that sound and went for a more Electronic pop sound. She basically needs to record stuff like Forgive Me, Bleeding Love and Better In Time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs to revert back to her old sound from Spirit. That's why she became big, and with GH she ditched that sound and went for a more Electronic pop sound. She basically needs to record stuff like Forgive Me, Bleeding Love and Better In Time.

She didn't though. There are only 2 songs on the new album I would class as electronic. :confused:
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way on Earth will the album be out by the end of this year. It won't just have been Modest delaying things, Syco would have played a part in the delays too. It's stupid even announcing that her fourth album will be out this year. Look what happened with he third album...all these promises and it was delayed like crazy. It's not just Leona though...the same thing happened with Alexandra's second album when she was with Syco. Look at Shayne Ward as well...the amount fo times we were told we were getting a new album!! Unless you're One Direction, Cher Lloyd, or the flavour of the moment who can bring in the cash for Syco, then you unfortunately have to take a back seat. I don't doubt for a second that Syco do have plans for Leona, but then new artists emerge with Syco, they see pound signs and so artists like Leona have to take a back seat. I'm telling you now, I wouldn't get your hopes up about this.
  • Options
    Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Leona wants to be successful she needs an image which seems even she is confused about. The Glassheart era was a bit all over the place, one minute she was telling she was 'trouble' and performing the dark themed Come Alive and then we got soppy Love Bird Leona. Hopefully the next album cover isn't hideous either. Leona needs lyrics that stand out (ala Lana Del Rey) and a distinctive image because she can't rely on dance music and up-beat performances and routines to attract attention because that isn't her. Roc Nation wouldn't know how to handle her I don't think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona just doesn't have staying power, she doesn't have a strong identity within the music industry. It doesn't help that she is still signed to Syco.

She needs to comeback with something big without selling out to the current dance trends like certain tracks on Glassheart are.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the title of the thread in itself suggests more of the same.

I think what needs to be done is to cut out the keeping us in suspenders about new material and having fans drooling in anticipation, what with leaks and news of hook ups and new things in development.

Just get on with it.
    Make good music and release it.

It's these promises of what to expect and delivering something about a year later which disappoints which I think has contributed to her current situation.

To be able to release material so infrequently and so slowly I think you need to be someone with a profile like David Bowie who actually have an impressive body of work behind them.
    You can't do this if you've just had one or two hit records several years ago.

Music fans just can't be bothered with this treating her like music royalty nonsense when her output just simply doesn't merit it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glassheart underperforming has scared the people in charge at her label. They've realised now that she can't be away for 3 years and bounce back ruling the charts. This album is going to be make or break for her, but I fear it's too late. For the six years she has been on the scene, she should have been building up a fanbase by touring. Two tours in 6/7 years is pathetic.