Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Channel 4 has very little to offer, that's why. They seem to veer from elderly skewing shows like Countdown to teen shows like Hollyoaks and leave everyone else out. Also they seem to flog CDWM to death, Shameless feels like it's been on longer than the Vietnam War, DOND is tanking yet they seem scared to offend Noel Edmonds by cutting it back, and only a 16 year old could appreciate the wooden acting in Hollyoaks. Channel 5 at least has a varied schedule where you get news, Aussie soaps, documentaries and decent imports.

How is this.....
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Channel 5
    19:10 - CSI: NY (r):
    19:55 - NCIS (r):
    20:55 - NCIS (r):
    21:50 - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit:
    22:50 - Law & Order: Criminal Intent:

......a varied schedule?

Plus every weeknight between 7pm and 9pm all C5 offers is cheap factual.

There is considerably more variety in Channel 4's schedule than there is in Channel 5's. (Note to Dancc before you go off on one. This is not a comment of quality of product. I'm merely disputed Glenn A's claim that C5 has a more varied schedule than C4)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Or if it didn't have Tom Daley in his trunks:D The Female and Gay viewers might turn off.

Splash I thought was terrible. Not exciting one bit
    The hosts were good but the panel of Judges terrible (Jo flipping Unfunny brand)

Let's Dance is a little different. it's a bit of fun for Charity
    which I kind of enjoy because it's tacky but fun Saturday TV.

Next week I gather Lets dance and Takeaway will clash?
    for me ITV will win because I loved Saturday night takeaway and it's Ant & Dec at their best and away from hosting this Reality rubbish. Better suited to them imo.

Both shows are scheduled to start at 7 pm next Saturday but Let's Dance will have a lead-in from the rugby.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 has very little to offer, that's why. They seem to veer from elderly skewing shows like Countdown to teen shows like Hollyoaks and leave everyone else out. Also they seem to flog CDWM to death, Shameless feels like it's been on longer than the Vietnam War, DOND is tanking yet they seem scared to offend Noel Edmonds by cutting it back, and only a 16 year old could appreciate the wooden acting in Hollyoaks. Channel 5 at least has a varied schedule where you get news, Aussie soaps, documentaries and decent imports.
    There's wooden actors in every soap. Why is it just Hollyoaks that gets it in the neck for this? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daybreak and Sky News Sunrise has an open goal today - a strike by the National Union of Journalists means no BBC Breakfast, just shortened news bulletins with daytime TV fodder instead..
    Daybreak's 1st hour has Matt Barbet and Helen Fospero, the pair they should have gone with in the first place.
    John Stapleton and Kate Garraway then do the main show for half-term week.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Daybreak and Sky News Sunrise has an open goal today - a strike by the National Union of Journalists means no BBC Breakfast, just shortened news bulletins with daytime TV fodder instead..
    Daybreak's 1st hour has Matt Barbet and Helen Fospero, the pair they should have gone with in the first place.
    John Stapleton and Kate Garraway then do the main show for half-term week.
    yes I know I said, Daybreaks half term ratings are not important, but todays ratings could be interesting.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    deleted
    tricky, and im not sure I agree.

BBC 1 viewers have (rightly) come to expect something that BBC 1 was not giving them, to get this they have only so many options, Daybreak and Sky News.

Daybreak may surprise.

edit I did quote something, but it got quoted a moment too late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    tricky, and im not sure I agree.

BBC 1 viewers have (rightly) come to expect something that BBC 1 was not giving them, to get this they have only so many options, Daybreak and Sky News.

Daybreak may surprise.

edit I did quote something, but it got quoted a moment too late.
    Sorry about that.

As you can see I back tracked because I changed my mind! :o

It is a tricky one. Maybe daybreak will break 1m???:D

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a tricky one. Maybe daybreak will break 1m???:D

Ken
    if it wasn't half term maybe, the problem for Daybreak is that its half term, when ratings are normally low, so any boost it gets this morning may not seem like that much, compared to none half term ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    if it wasn't half term maybe, the problem for Daybreak is that its half term, when ratings are normally low, so any boost it gets this morning may not seem like that much, compared to none half term ratings.

So basically if it's in line with normal ratings today it received a good boost. And to think ITV had a breakfast lead in the 90's! Although the BBC Breakfast News as it was known back then was poor in my opinion. GMTV used to be a good watch.

Didn't the BBC have something called Business Breakfast? My mind is failing me.

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically if it's in line with normal ratings today it received a good boost.
    yes that is about right, the problem for Daybreak is that with people out of routine, they wont pick up many in the long run.

Those who might be most tempted to switch, based on watching today, are out of routine half term mums, who normally watch Breakfast. The fact Breakfast isnt on today may mean little to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    BBC One
    Blandings - 3,932,350 (17.1%)
    Countryfile - 6,713,467 (27.4%)
    Call The Midwife - 8,616,417 (30.4%)
    Ripper Street - 4,716,458 (18.9%)

BBC Two
    Top Gear - 3,628,442 (12.8%)
    The Wonders of Life - 2,207,345 (8.9%)

ITV
    FA Cup - 2,472,216 (16.1%)
    Dancing on Ice - 6,541,800 (27.7%)
    Family Fortunes - 4,974,675 (18.3%)
    Dancing on Ice - 5,092,500 (17.6%)
    Mr Selfridge - 5,728,467 (22.9%)

Channel 4
    The Hotel - 1,618,955 (5.7%)
    Complicit - 790,168 (3.8%)

Channel 5
    Ghostbusters - 820,917 (3.1%)
    Person of Interest - 1,068,833 (4.3%)
    Snatch - 766,200 (6.0%)

Figures include HD (except BBC Two), exc. +1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KMair wrote: »
    BBC One

BBC Two

ITV

Channel 4
    The Hotel - 1,618,955 (5.7%)
    Complicit - 790,168 (3.8%)

Channel 5
    Ghostbusters - 820,917 (3.1%)
    Person of Interest - 1,068,833 (4.3%)
    Snatch - 766,200 (6.0%)

Figures include HD, exc. +1

Top gear's rating doesn't look like it has HD to me.

Ken
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Ripper Street looks low. That week off seems to have dented it.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,256
    Forum Member
    KMair wrote: »
    BBC One

BBC Two

ITV

Top Gear may have added almost a million on HD but that's still rather low, I don't think the show has dipped to 3m in a long time - I think CTM is a factor.

ITV, meanwhile, had a good night. DOI is around where I'd expect it to be, as with FF and Mr Selfridge.

But aside from that, some good ratings for BBC1 there, CTM doing great as always.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

I also think it kinda got a bit boring. I watched the first few episodes but then the episode that focused on the Jerome Flynn character was really rubbish (IMO) and so i switched off.. i did try to watch a bit of the episode after it on catchup but i just thought... nope, bored now. Switched off.

It appears some others may have done the same? The change in pace of the episode focused on Flynns character really did seem strange. Others on the "Ripper Street" thread also commented on it. (Although some loved it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Top Gear may have added almost a million on HD but that's still rather low, I don't think the show has dipped to 3m in a long time - I think CTM is a factor.

ITV, meanwhile, had a good night. DOI is around where I'd expect it to be, as with FF and Mr Selfridge.

But aside from that, some good ratings for BBC1 there, CTM doing great as always.

HD is accounting for a large chunk of it's audience now.

Ken
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Selfridge (inc +1, HD)- 6.1m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DOI beaten by Countryfile which was actually a collection of repeated items. And more than 1 million people who watch DOI part 1 don't bother to turn on the results show.
  • Options
    qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    But it got great reviews. I guess they feel it deserves to be a bigger hit than it currently is. There's been a few BBC dramas that have started off slowly but got bigger - Death in Paradise the most recent example, and Luther. Maybe Prisoners Wives will be next. Shetland looks really good too.
    I enjoyed it, so I'm glad they're getting behind it, just didn't expect them to that's all. I edited my post to mention Luther before I saw your reply, hopefully it can do the same.
    Prisoners' Wives was excellent. It did rate alright, but I felt it deserved much bigger figures as it was high quality. I'm hoping the promotional push it's getting pays off.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I take it prisoners wives wil be tuesday evenings again or will it perhaps get a promotion to sunday evening. Its only four parts this year
    A strong season of drama so far. Ben stephenson knows what he is doing be a shame if they did move him and danny cohen they have been the most successful bbc team in years.
    I liked Prisoners Wives and for all ratings weren't that good first time round, the drama was excellent and it deserved another series. I reckon another prison show could do well tomorrow night.

Prisoners Wives reminds me of Accused. Critically acclaimed with moderately successful ratings so they bring it back for a shorter second series. They probably won't give it a third series as the ratings won't be that high. But by giving it a second they add another returning drama to there slate which they can brag about a little. For Accused they didn't even bother to announce if it had been cancelled which is extremely frustrating for fans of the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

Last night was one of its best episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HD is accounting for a large chunk of it's audience now.

Ken

Therefore you should always include HD for BBC Two - especially Top Gear. In the officials it's pulling in over a million on HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    DOI beaten by Countryfile which was actually a collection of repeated items. And more than 1 million people who watch DOI part 1 don't bother to turn on the results show.

Isn't that always the case with these shows which have both the performances and results on the same night? X Factor in the past, BGT (ever since they foolishly split the performances and results, dragging the performances out even more). Though Call the Midwife and Top Gear quite frankly took away some of the audience.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the article about Mad Fat Diary getting a second series it states:

"The first series of My Mad Fat Diary launched in January and has a current average viewership of 1.2m."

This seems surprising because i thought it was rating at about 300k... must be adding on viewers on 4OD or is it repeated a lot?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Isn't that always the case with these shows which have both the performances and results on the same night? X Factor in the past, BGT (ever since they foolishly split the performances and results, dragging the performances out even more). Though Call the Midwife and Top Gear quite frankly took away some of the audience.

Agreed - I think it also tells you one million people were so disinterested in the programme they didn't care about the result. DOI is also getting little publicity in the tabloids now.I've also seen comments about the allegedly ''icey'' atmosphere between the presenters.
This discussion has been closed.