Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    A few points:

- In regards to complaints about BBC scheduling- what else could they put after call the midwife. Everyone says miranda/mrs brown boys but then the monday comedy block is empty so what should they schedule for monday nights.
    - The BBC can't put all their high rating shows on sunday nights. Plus, a call the midwife lead-in works only for the first episode- after that the show (i.e. ripper street) has to hold its viewers on its own.

- Given the sunday primetime slot (also previous downton slot), the sheer advertising (e.g. the next downton abbey), the ordering of TEN episodes (instead of the normal 8), the money spent (at least 10 million), its obvious they wanted but also expected DA ratings (nonetheless, 6 million overnight is good enough for a sunday night primetime slot).
    - The coveted sunday night primetime slot can do wonders for most shows (I believe it can add an extra 1-2 million viewers, maybe 3 million). Most shows that come on sunday night would undoubtedly shed viewers on weeknights. Thanks.[/B]

As you say sunday do add a couple of million could we have seen 9 million from miranda and mrs brown every week overnight and 10.5 finals? Had they been moved to the best spot of the week? It would have crushed itvs opposition and mr selfridge may have only gained 4 million. Whats wrong with a super Sunday? And as I said I think ripper street should have played on mondays in the comedy hour instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Oh, that is good. And a relief. :)

Meanwhile in the officials...

PERSON OF INTEREST (SUN 10 FEBRUARY 2101) 1.32m
    PERSON OF INTEREST (SUN 10 FEBRUARY 2201) 204,000

Also...

DALLAS (TUE 5 FEBRUARY 2102) 1.22m
    DALLAS (TUE 5 FEBRUARY 2202) 160,000

That's a big old timeshift for Dallas' final instalment at 9pm. It almost doubled its audience in the official numbers! :eek:

Obviously doesn't change the fact that not nearly enough people were watching live (and in turn the adverts) though. But a bit of a worry to see any drama on 5 adding such a high percentage on timeshift.

Those figures for Person Of Interest look stronger than I thought which is good.

Dallas seems to timeshift well. Still feel Dallas should be put on 5*, perhaps after American Idol on a Friday (American Idol I'm sure shows from 8pm - 9pm, which would lead Dallas to follow from 9pm - 10pm).
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    As you say sunday do add a couple of million could we have seen 9 million from miranda and mrs brown every week overnight and 10.5 finals? Had they been moved to the best spot of the week? It would have crushed itvs opposition and mr selfridge may have only gained 4 million. Whats wrong with a super Sunday? And as I said I think ripper street should have played on mondays in the comedy hour instead.

Audiences tend to relish drama and gentle programmes on Sunday evenings. There is no evidence at all to suggest that Miranda/MBB would have performed any better on Sundays. Is there an appetite for two comedies back to back on Sundays? Programmes are placed in accordance with the type of demographic available. Sunday is an enigma in regards to what would work and what wouldn't.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook - BBC Eurovision

Afternoon folks, as Graham Norton mentioned over the weekend the first play of our UK entry's song will indeed be on Radio 2, mid-March. We'll be able to bring you more information about when the act will be announced over the coming weeks. Thanks for your patience! These things take time.

(I wonder if they'll ask Engelbert again) :o
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the shares for the latest figures on barb it's okay reading to me. 2012 in brackets I don't count +1. They are a different channel in my opinion.

BBC One- 22.8% (21.6%) Good!

BBC Two- 5.4% (6.1%)+BBC HD-0.3%(0.2%) To be expected.

ITV (inc HD)-15.6%(15.2%)+1-0.9% (0.8%) :eek:

Channel 4- 5.5%(5.7%) +1-0.9% (0.9%) Jay Hunt's vision really coming through now! :D

Channel 5- 3.8%(4.3%) +1- 0.3% (0.2%) Oh dear!

Total Others- 44.6%(45.1%)

So it's good for BBC One but not so for BBC Two. But it really was to be expected and 5.4% without a daytime budget is respectable considering C4 only had 5.5. There always seems to be talk of crisis about ITV but they are up. And I believe they were up last week as well so it's not bad for ITV.

Channel 4 and 5 are the most disappointing losses for me. Okay we are only looking at one week here and this is no general trend but C5 not good.

And looking at the general trend the growth in "other viewing" has slowed in the last few years. It's still growing and I think it will keep doing so but it's slowed down.

When you look at This graph It's astounding how much it's changed. But see how it's slowed down.

Ken
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,256
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Facebook - BBC Eurovision

Afternoon folks, as Graham Norton mentioned over the weekend the first play of our UK entry's song will indeed be on Radio 2, mid-March. We'll be able to bring you more information about when the act will be announced over the coming weeks. Thanks for your patience! These things take time.

(I wonder if they'll ask Engelbert again) :o

They'd probably want to create a bit of buzz and ask One Direction :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    They'd probably want to create a bit of buzz and ask One Direction :D

Oh dear! My daughter won't shut up about those bastards! With the current food situation I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be Horses! :D

That's two very poor horse puns in two posts on two different threads from Ken. Magic!;)

Ken
  • Options
    andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member

- The BBC doesn't always think about beating ITV. It focuses on its own shows and its schedule. Therefore, you are right they could have a super sunday but then what happens to the weeknights. It is better to spread out the shows and plus they already do have a successful sunday night with the midwife and still decently performing ripper street. They can move the comedy block to sundays but they have to ensure that monday doesn't collapse.
    - You are right though that its admirable that ripper street still performs well enough against the better advertised and MUCH MORE female friendly selfridge. Personally I believe that selfridge is a truly horrible drama (its critical reception shows that)- last nights was the worst in my opinion (with the hammy acting, cheesy seance storyline etc) but what keeps it performing well (but not brilliantly) is the sunday night slot.
    Therefore, the BBC would be wise to put a much better alternative against selfridge next year (comedy block) or a more female friendly drama.
    In fact they may put the ark which was commisioned last september and should be filming soon)-
    The six-part drama series tells the story of the First World War’s frontline medics - their love affairs, professional triumphs, personal tragedies, fears and hopes as they fight for the future.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Looking at the shares for the latest figures on barb it's okay reading to me. 2012 in brackets I don't count +1. They are a different channel in my opinion.

BBC One- 22.8% (21.6%) Good!

BBC Two- 5.4% (6.1%)+BBC HD-0.3%(0.2%) To be expected.

ITV (inc HD)-15.6%(15.2%)+1-0.9% (0.8%) :eek:

Channel 4- 5.5%(5.7%) +1-0.9% (0.9%) Jay Hunt's vision really coming through now! :D

Channel 5- 3.8%(4.3%) +1- 0.3% (0.2%) Oh dear!

Total Others- 44.6%(45.1%)

So it's good for BBC One but not so for BBC Two. But it really was to be expected and 5.4% without a daytime budget is respectable considering C4 only had 5.5. There always seems to be talk of crisis about ITV but they are up. And I believe they were up last week as well so it's not bad for ITV.

Channel 4 and 5 are the most disappointing losses for me. Okay we are only looking at one week here and this is no general trend but C5 not good.

And looking at the general trend the growth in "other viewing" has slowed in the last few years. It's still growing and I think it will keep doing so but it's slowed down.

When you look at This graph It's astounding how much it's changed. But see how it's slowed down.

Ken

That graph says it all really. It has slowed but probably because it's bumped up against other trends, such as the internet and "box sets" from America.

I wonder what the "share" for such activities would look like?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    That graph says it all really. It has slowed but probably because it's bumped up against other trends, such as the internet and "box sets" from America.

I wonder what the "share" for such activities would look like?

They could be reason. I was thinking it is more down to the fact that very few channels are being launched now and the initial excitement about Digital TV and Sky has gone. It's just the norm now and the old bruisers have stuck it out.

Also if you scan through multichannel there is actually in my opinion very little new up for offer. The best of the other channels are from the old guns and maybe sky. One thing id for sure the rate of increase for multichannel we saw 10 years ago is now over. We have entered a new phase and as you say the internet is the big issue now.

Ken
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new major drama commission from BBC One as theyve got Andrew Davies to adapt War and Peace, its a six parter which doesn't seem long enough considering how long the book is, its not airing until 2015
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Look East news on tonight hopefully ITV news will rate high now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Look East news on tonight hopefully ITV news will rate high now.

That's bad news all the female presenters. They will get pregnant again because of spare time!

That's a local pun. Only The people of Anglia will know why I said that.

Ken
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    delete
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call the Midwife and Mr Selfridge are continuing to do very well. Ripper Street took a bit of a knock, but it's deserved its second series commission. Encouraging to see that slight increase for Person of Interest on Channel 5.

Complicit did really badly for Channel 4. I know it faced some decent competition, but Homeland did really well against tough competition so I was expecting this to do better, especially as it was of a similar genre to Homeland. I thought 1.5m+ at least. Toy Story 2 performed brilliantly on ITV2, as I thought it might.

I think that prison documentary will do well for ITV tonight. 5-6m I'm thinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    delete

Oh dear you've turned into a Cyberman!:D

I am sorry that's a really poor one. I will leave now. I've been wanting to do that for ages. :o

Ken
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that prison documentary will do well for ITV tonight. 5-6m I'm thinking.

I think the Penguins are going to see a boost tonight. It was high on the iplayer most viewed all week. 5m I reckon.

Ken
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Replacing the strike-hit Newsnight will be Wonders Of Life (repeat of yesterday's episode with Professor Brian Cox in Australia).
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    It's been well documented in here that C5 had a bit of a reality check in the immediate aftermath of Celebrity Big Brother ending. Indeed, they had one of their worst ratings periods in a long time. We've followed that closely in the overnights, so it should come as no surprise to see that reflected in the officials. Things have begun to pick up again more recently, though. And CSI is starting soon, along with a number of other promising new shows. All the signs point towards them getting back on track now after a bad start to the month.

I don't think we can read too much into the audience share for individual weeks anyway, whatever this might show. It's about the poorest base for any kind of analysis you can get. You need to be looking more longer term than that, and do bear in mind that C5 was the only terrestrial that saw an increase in audience share last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Replacing the strike-hit Newsnight will be Wonders Of Life (repeat of yesterday's episode with Professor Brian Cox in Australia).
    What, not Coast? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been well documented in here that C5 had a bit of a reality check in the immediate aftermath of Celebrity Big Brother ending. Indeed, they had one of their worst ratings periods in a long time. We've followed that closely in the overnights, so it should come as no surprise to see that reflected in the officials. Things have begun to pick up again more recently, though. And CSI is starting soon, along with a number of other promising new shows. All the signs point towards them getting back on track now after a bad start to the month.

I don't think we can read too much into the audience share for individual weeks anyway, whatever this might show. It's about the poorest base for any kind of analysis you can get. You need to be looking more longer term than that, and do bear in mind that C5 was the only terrestrial that saw an increase in audience share last year.

So what did they do wrong to get such a low audience shares in the week after the ending of CBB?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    So what did they do wrong to get such a low audience shares in the week after the ending of CBB?
    Where do I start? This could be a long list, but here goes:

* Put too much faith in Dallas when series 1 trajectory suggested it was never going to do that well. At best it was 10pm Wednesday material.
    * Rory & Will was not distinctive enough, was almost identical to the show Rory did previously with Paddy. Never 9pm material.
    * Brought NCIS back on a night when new Midsomer Murders was on, despite the fact that it regularly knocks a good 20% off NCIS' audience and that's during a run. A hopelessly bad move.
    * Brought Person of Interest back at a time when a series aimed at a similar demographic was midway through its run on BBC1. Equally clueless.

But most of all, they are missing CSI: New York which regularly pulls in great audience figures on Saturday nights. The season premiere managed 2.93m (inc. +1) in the consolidated figures last year, well over 2 million in the overnights, the night after CBB ended. So there was some form of ratings continuity there if you like. Whereas this year they went from the big showpiece final, to a night of film repeats. A big difference.

It seems the scheduling nerds have decided that CSI: NY is going to be of greater value to them in Q4. And they are probably right. It'll be interesting to see how it fares on Tuesdays as opposed to Saturdays, which I presume is going to be the plan for it. But in the mean time, they badly need something to beef up the Saturday schedule. L&O is doing well for what it is a very dark drama at the weekend but what happens when that comes to an end? They look very vulnerable on that night now. Then again, so does Channel 4. Neither channel should be getting beaten by ITV3 in primetime, and hopefully that will serve as a wake up call.
  • Options
    andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have the breakdown for mr selfridge and ripper street last night. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where do I start? This could be a long list, but here goes:

* Put too much faith in Dallas when series 1 trajectory suggested it was never going to do that well. At best it was 10pm Wednesday material.
    * Rory & Will was not distinctive enough, was almost identical to the show Rory did previously with Paddy. Never 9pm material.
    * Brought NCIS back on a night when new Midsomer Murders was on, despite the fact that it regularly knocks a good 20% off NCIS' audience and that's during a run. A hopelessly bad move.
    * Brought Person of Interest back at a time when a series aimed at a similar demographic was midway through its run on BBC1. Equally clueless.

But most of all, they are missing CSI: New York which regularly pulls in great audience figures on Saturday nights. The season premiere managed 2.93m (inc. +1) in the consolidated figures last year, well over 2 million in the overnights, the night after CBB ended. So there was some form of ratings continuity there if you like. Whereas this year they went from the big showpiece final, to a night of film repeats. A big difference.

It seems the scheduling nerds have decided that CSI: NY is going to be of greater value to them in Q4. And they are probably right. It'll be interesting to see how it fares on Tuesdays as opposed to Saturdays, which I presume is going to be the plan for it. But in the mean time, they badly need something to beef up the Saturday schedule. L&O is doing well for what it is a very dark drama at the weekend but what happens when that comes to an end? They look very vulnerable on that night now. Then again, so does Channel 4. Neither channel should be getting beaten by ITV3 in primetime, and hopefully that will serve as a wake up call.

Wow okay I understand now. Atleast NCIS picked up 1.56m last week, a huge improvement, as you said, probably down to the lack of Midsomer screening against it.

Just realised Channel 5 are a good couple of seasons behind on SVU and that Criminal Intent has now finished in the USA!

And what is "Q4"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Wow okay I understand now. Atleast NCIS picked up 1.56m last week, a huge improvement, as you said, probably down to the lack of Midsomer screening against it.

Just realised Channel 5 are a good couple of seasons behind on SVU and that Criminal Intent has now finished in the USA!

And what is "Q4"?
    NCIS isn't done growing yet. It can rate close to that 2m mark and should do so again at times this season. But the schedulers let it down big time. It doesn't get as much promotion as some of the other imports on the channel either, which is a bit odd.

Q4=quarter 4 (Sept-Dec). Although with CSI: Vegas starting earlier than planned due to Dallas tanking, CSI: NY will probably start before September.
This discussion has been closed.