Options

Why are sky customers paying for ads?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know with BBC you dont get any because your paying a license and ITV, C4 they pay for the channel. But why put them in sky channels?

Considering Im paying to watch GOLD or SKY ONE channels why put advertisings in?

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This’d be better in the Broadcasting forum.

It’s not just ads either, it’s LOTS of ads!
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know with BBC you dont get any because your paying a license and ITV, C4 they pay for the channel. But why put them in sky channels?

Considering Im paying to watch GOLD or SKY ONE channels why put advertisings in?

It's a tough question indeed, but I'm guessing it has something to do with enabling them to make more money.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,058
    Forum Member

You really think the tiny subscription you pay for each channel would enable them to not bother with adverts?
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try and watch everything 10-12 minutes delay ( or record ) and fast forward the ad breaks you catch up within the hour!:D
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch all my Sky1. Atlantic, Living shows etc. in HD via catch up. Totally ad free.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    The ads are there because the sponsor pays for them. Without them, your subs would be much more (if the channel existed at all). As others have said, if you have catch up, you can now avoid them.
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I watch all my Sky1. Atlantic, Living shows etc. in HD via catch up. Totally ad free.
    But for how long!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,756
    Forum Member
    You really think the tiny subscription you pay for each channel would enable them to not bother with adverts?
    Actually, yes. Well, no. I see what you mean but, as I understand it, Sky (ie the channels Sky owns) could go ad-free tomorrow and they'd still make enough money from subs. Not sure about any of the others.

(Don't forget that the average Sky sub is around £500 per year!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made this exact point on another thread the other day. Sky make a fortune from subscriptions. They could at least show LESS adverts than they do, There are a ridiculous amount of adverts on all the commercial stations.

It comes down to greed, pure and simple.
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes one grateful for the ad free BBC.
  • Options
    OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is all so confusing!

I'm told by advertizing executive that "the ads pay for themselves".
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got rid of Sky, I can still get 60 odd channels for nothing, saves me £80 a month.
  • Options
    Chippy ChipsChippy Chips Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than live sport, I don't remember the last time I watched a TV show on Sky 'live', so to speak. It's nearly always via Sky+, so I just fast-forward through the adverts.

There are a lot though, but obviously it's not as much of an issue for people like me who are constantly playing catch up on Sky+ :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rule in pricing is to 'squeeze the pips until they squeak' ...and clearly you're not squeaking in any reasonable number to make Sky consider otherwise.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    I thought it was backwards that viewers were paying top dollar for live cl games and then they go to an ad break just as the crowd are singing traditional songs like YNWA although I think they changed that this season. The prematch atmosphere is part of the match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This post was made redundant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    The prematch atmosphere is part of the match.

Yes!

And likewise ads are a part of the show. At least a part of any good show. The best part. They are there to entertain you. Little cute vignettes! Even better they are there to help you. To help you to buy all the right things.

I don't know where people ever got the idea that pay TV should be ad free? Maybe there was some silly talk of all that back in the beginning, but certainly we've had a long enough time to forget all that tosh. Pay TV is just another great thing to buy. Stop thinking yourselves into a state of worry and discomfort, folks.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like adverts, record what you want to watch. After it's recorded it, skip the adverts when the break starts, using the skip buttons. I'm assuming the remote for Sky+ will have them.
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,027
    Forum Member
    Cos Sky have to pay for footballers wages. Pay Up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I interest anyone in a bottle of water?

Only $1.29.

Or... $2.00 for water that has actually been put through some process to differentiate it from the junk that now flow from your tap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    I got rid of Sky, I can still get 60 odd channels for nothing, saves me £80 a month.

Good for you. Not sure how that's relevant though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, yes. Well, no. I see what you mean but, as I understand it, Sky (ie the channels Sky owns) could go ad-free tomorrow and they'd still make enough money from subs. Not sure about any of the others.

(Don't forget that the average Sky sub is around £500 per year!)

Why would they though? That is the question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you. Not sure how that's relevant though.

If more people unsubscribed then they might start listening,
    They don't give a toss as long as they are raking in the money.
    I paid £65 up front for a fault they couldn't fix, they then demanded £10 a month insurance on top of that to get an 'expert' in to fix it........ The expert was someone insured to go in the loft as their normal repairmen are not allowed to go in lofts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    If more people unsubscribed then they might start listening,
    They don't give a toss as long as they are raking in the money.
    I paid £65 up front for a fault they couldn't fix, they then demanded £10 a month insurance on top of that to get an 'expert' in to fix it........ The expert was someone insured to go in the loft as their normal repairmen are not allowed to go in lofts.

Listening to what? Their profits suggest they're doing a great job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to what? Their profits suggest they're doing a great job.

That's what I said... If they were not making huge profits then they might have to think again, but people just moan and continue to pay up.