Options

" Signers " on Television programmes

ackeracker Posts: 8,809
Forum Member
Shoot me now but why ? Im sat watching a documentary and once again im finding that I cant as im hopelessly distracted/irritated beyond belief by the signer on the bottom right of my screen. Its not even as though the signers are there for every programme, It kind of smacks of the worst kind of tokenism really and whats wrong with sub titles anyway ? My favourite was the signer who was plonked right over the final letter on Countdown.....partiicularly brilliant that one. If this is all thats wrong with my day I guess im lucky but is it unreasonable of me to be irritated by this ?

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    acker wrote: »
    Shoot me now but why ? Im sat watching a documentary and once again im finding that I cant as im hopelessly distracted/irritated beyond belief by the signer on the bottom right of my screen. Its not even as though the signers are there for every programme, It kind of smacks of the worst kind of tokenism really and whats wrong with sub titles anyway ? My favourite was the signer who was plonked right over the final letter on Countdown.....partiicularly brilliant that one. If this is all thats wrong with my day I guess im lucky but is it unreasonable of me to be irritated by this ?

Simple answer is yes, they do signing on repeats of the odd programmes in the wee hours for recording purposes by those who need it because people would moan if they done it daytime.

Why no subtitles? signing is more easily understood and those who want subtitles can select them on their tv/stb if they wish.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Simple answer is yes, they do signing on repeats of the odd programmes in the wee hours for recording purposes by those who need it because people would moan if they done it daytime.

Why no subtitles? signing is more easily understood and those who want subtitles can select them on their tv/stb if they wish.

Im expecting to get buried for even daresing to bring it up and id just like to say that I hope my post doesnt just smack of lack of empathy . I count my blessings that im not deaf and I wouldnt want to be in the business of upsetting folks who are .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry..?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    The bald guy who used to sign for 4music while dancing is my hero.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... those who want subtitles can select them on their tv/stb if they wish.

The same could be true for signing if it was put on the red button. Then it could be available for every program without annoying anyone.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The signers don't bother me as in usually sleeping at that time but there should be better provision for deaf people. Half the time the subtitles don't even make sense and I'd hate to have to rely on them. A better system is needed.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they're great to watch. They don't just sign with their hands. They make the most amazing facial expressions too.
  • Options
    NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always watch them to see if they crack up. On comedies how don't they laugh?! Not even comedies, I don't know how they get through Coronation Street without getting into hysterics at the 'drama' :o never mind EastEnders!
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed that now TV has gone digital the signing can't become a "red button" thing. It is a huge distraction and makes programmes unwatchable.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BSL is a different language from English - and although many D(d)eaf people can read English as in books and Newspaper this is at there own rate not the say 200 words a minute of spoken speech.

At the time that digital TV was being designed - attempts were made to have closed assigning using avatars - but it just did not work (and it is not clear even now that this can be down) . and the use of a second video stream was just not possible on the mux then ( and to get around scheduling issues it would double the number of video stream needed )- or to put it another way halve the number of PSB channels.

The PSB quota being 10% was easy to accommodate with overnight broadcasting and adding signing to some Kids/ News Channel during the day at key times.

the Non PSB quota is on the whole being met by the broadcaster buying space on the community channel.

These may not meet the lobbying interests of the d(D)eaf community who would like signing in peak time.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish the BBC interpreters were like this one lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi71xyYJbfk

or this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO3c6_BT3HM
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al though I do know how fortunate I am to have no hearing problems blah blah blah blah, I can't watch a programme which is signed. The sight of the signer - many of whom seem all too frequently to be in great pain of some type - is just too distracting.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed that now TV has gone digital the signing can't become a "red button" thing. It is a huge distraction and makes programmes unwatchable.
    I can't be bothered to check now, but I thought being able to do that was part of the original specification. It just doesn't seem to have happened.

I must admit to being very annoyed if I record a programme only to find there's a wildly gesticulating homunculus in the bottom right corner. And then I feel guilty about being annoyed.
  • Options
    logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean OP, to many times i've seen a film on in the middle of the night that i've wanted to see, recorded it, then had it ruined because a signer is taking up the corner of the screen!!
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    my god what a bunch of selfish people :rolleyes:

if anything there arn't enough signed tv programmes, im sure people how are deaf or are hard of hearing would appreciate it if there were signed tv programs during the day, doesn't seem fair that they only bother signing tv programmes and films that are aired during the night

and for all these people who say films with sign language in the corner are ruined by the person in the corner, rubbish i recorded a film that was on in the middle of the night and had sign language, didn't ruin it for me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I hear on this thread is "Waaaaaaaaaaah deaf people ruin telly for me!"

Get over yourselves.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the BBC did research and development into the idea of a red button signer where the singer would be superimposed onto a channel's video output. That got nowhere and as most channels (the big broadcasters) must show sign language by law, they're going nowhere. Only thing you can do is raise your ire with your MP.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

Get over yourselves.

well said, my thoughts exactly
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

Get over yourselves.

this.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are hardly any programmes with signing on them. Late at night on BBC there are a few repeated programme from earlier in the week with signing added.

I can't see why it's an irritation. It's not like its on all the time. I don't think there is enough really as there are hardly any programmes with it. At least the BBC news channel puts signing on its main bulletins at 1pm, 6pm I think. As if I was deaf I would not want to rely on the auto generated subtitles, which are absolutely dreadful and inaccurate.

As previous posters have already said, get over yourselves!
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member

Get over yourselves.

I agree. Deaf people are just as entitled to enjoy television as everybody else.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm learning BSL at the mo and I love watching the signers. I count it a minor miracle if I understand what they are signing, receptive skills aren't my strong point.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I expect some DS forum members would go to the extra effort of pressing the red button and then posting here to complain about why they're "wasting" bandwith for a signed programme at 3am.
  • Options
    Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signers should be a red button service, not just plonked on random shows. There doesn't seem to be any schedule to it, they just pop up randomly.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I once saw a signer on Rastamouse (sounds odd, but this is true!). The signer was doing it reggae style, it was hilarious.