Options

" Signers " on Television programmes

Comments

• Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I once saw a signer on Rastamouse (sounds odd, but this is true!). The signer was doing it reggae style, it was hilarious.

why does it sound odd, there are alot of children in the UK who are deaf, nice to see some children programmes have sign language :)
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benry_Gale wrote: »
    Signers should be a red button service, not just plonked on random shows. There doesn't seem to be any schedule to it, they just pop up randomly.

No they do not have signing in random shows at random times, almost all signed programming is in specifically designated programme blocks in the early hours of the morning.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I hear on this thread is "Waaaaaaaaaaah deaf people ruin telly for me!"

Get over yourselves.

You seem unable to distinguish between observation and complaint.

I can't watch tv with an on-screen signer - I'd be similarly unable to watch even if it wasn't a signer, but was an ad or another graphic of some kind. That is a personal observation, not a complaint. Well done however for pointing out just how warm hearted, equitable and right on you consider yourself to be :D

P.S. Not sure what 'get over yourself' means, however if it means what I imagine it does, perhaps it's the 'right on' among us who should be doing a spot of self getting-over ;)
  • Options
    zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    The same could be true for signing if it was put on the red button. Then it could be available for every program without annoying anyone.

I agree completely. This should be fairly easy to achieve.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    I can't watch tv with an on-screen signer

Well, watch the non-signed version of the programme then. Problem solved!
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Well, watch the non-signed version of the programme then. Problem solved!

Doh. Why didn't I think of that...:D
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Signers should be a red button service, not just plonked on random shows. There doesn't seem to be any schedule to it, they just pop up randomly.

Agreed. I find it irritating trying to watch programmes with signers in the corner. It is only right however that signers should be provided for a certain number of shows. Would it really be that difficult for TV companies to put either the programme with a signer or even the original unsigned programme on the red button ?
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    I think they're great to watch. They don't just sign with their hands. They make the most amazing facial expressions too.

Yeah, what's that about? It never seems to have any connection to the words they're actually trying to express :confused:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

There's not enough bandwidth to accommodate a red button service for signers otherwise there would be, just think of the amount of channels we have as it is, they would need doubling.

As for random scheduling, the EPG on freeview has SL after the prog details to identify sign language is going to be used so take note of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Agreed. I find it irritating trying to watch programmes with signers in the corner. It is only right however that signers should be provided for a certain number of shows. Would it really be that difficult for TV companies to put either the programme with a signer or even the original unsigned programme on the red button ?

Yes and nigh impossible given the bandwidth available.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    I kind of knew when I posted the thread that some folks would choose to interpret it as an attack on deaf people.even though it WASNT what was going on at all. Well done youre all so much better and caring than me who is obviously the biggest**** that ever drew breath. Maybe i,ll start deliberately misinterpreting posts just so I can show how jolly well " caring " and better than others I am. One last time I wasnt and never would have a go at deaf people , why would anybody do that.? Like I say , wilful misinterpretation and poor .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All I hear on this thread is "Waaaaaaaaaaah deaf people ruin telly for me!"

No you don't so stop making things up.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »

As I and other have pointed out it is not possible to have SL as a closed service .... so let us say that it is a red button service .
    Let us start with the Public corporation PSB - it does not have a red button service so would need to do something with its non PSB channels on the PSB mux - likewise for the larger publicly quoted company which has a PSB license - and the other Publicly quoted PSB has no extra space on PSB mux....
    But the BBC has a red button .... which has we all know is NOT a channel....
    so let us say that the BBC puts SL from its 10 channels out on this route - that would take over half the airtime on that stream .... squeezing out other things......

and it may mean that the BBC trust would see this as a Channel - which may mean that it would not be allowed as it would not meet a PVT - as it is as effective to use the night hours..... and not incur extra play out/distribution costs .
    as far as MIA goes - as outlined above it could be construed that the BBC which has control of its mux was being anti competitive....

Having said that I was party to discussions about starting the SL service on a shared basis between two of the other 3 PSB and the BBC - but the logistics of scheduling got very very fraught to work out a fair and equitable way of doing it - and it all costs money .. and at the time bandwdth was limited..... and some did not like their competitors playing out their programmes!

In the future connected red button may be a means of doing SL ...... but this is not a broadcast means so primary legislation will need to be changed... (and at the moment only the BBC has this technology... but <free-time> or You-view could also be used)
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I've ever felt that distracted by them. But then I don't have the attention span of a gnat.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acker wrote: »
    Shoot me now but why ? Im sat watching a documentary and once again im finding that I cant as im hopelessly distracted/irritated beyond belief by the signer on the bottom right of my screen. Its not even as though the signers are there for every programme, It kind of smacks of the worst kind of tokenism really and whats wrong with sub titles anyway ? My favourite was the signer who was plonked right over the final letter on Countdown.....partiicularly brilliant that one. If this is all thats wrong with my day I guess im lucky but is it unreasonable of me to be irritated by this ?

Tokenism? Subtitles? Wow.

1. deaf and sign language users pay full TV licensing fees and they're entitled to a service they could use. They aren't even offered a discount like the ones for blind people and OAPs.

2. if a programme has a BSL interpreter in a corner, it usually means there's one without. Clue: the BSL version tends to be broadcast after midnight and before 8AM. Why? Because people like you don't like seeing BSL-provided programmes.

That's the crappy end of a deal for deaf and sign language users. You get to watch 22 hours' worth of TV programming without BSL per day, and they get to enjoy just 120 minutes' worth of BSL-provided TV programming per day or rather, night.

3. Asking why don't BSL users watch subtitles is like asking why doesn't a French person read English subtitles. Subtitles and sign language are two separate languages. BSL is a language in its own right. Has little to do with the English language, written and spoken.

4. Please don't be such a selfish dick.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever felt that distracted by them. But then I don't have the attention span of a gnat.

Why does this subject attract such negative and sarcastic comments I wonder? I certainly don't have the attention span of a gnat :mad: but still maintain that it cannot be beyond the wit of man to provide a separate output for signed programmes. All the excuses put against this are pretty feeble when all is said and done.
    Anyway what was I saying ? ............... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Tokenism? Subtitles? Wow.

1. deaf and sign language users pay full TV licensing fees and they're entitled to a service they could use. They aren't even offered a discount like the ones for blind people and OAPs.

2. if a programme has a BSL interpreter in a corner, it usually means there's one without. Clue: the BSL version tends to be broadcast after midnight and before 8AM. Why? Because people like you don't like seeing BSL-provided programmes.

That's the crappy end of a deal for deaf and sign language users. You get to watch 22 hours' worth of TV programming without BSL per day, and they get to enjoy just 120 minutes' worth of BSL-provided TV programming per day or rather, night.

3. Asking why don't BSL users watch subtitles is like asking why doesn't a French person read English subtitles. Subtitles and sign language are two separate languages. BSL is a language in its own right. Has little to do with the English language, written and spoken.

4. Please don't be such a selfish dick.

Honest I took all your well reasonable comments on board then I got to point 4. On a point of information the world is full of selfish dicks . Thats a big part of whats wrong with it , im not one of them. Please see the " wilful misinterpretation " post above,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acker wrote: »
    Honest I took all your well reasonable comments on board then I got to point 4. On a point of information the world is full of selfish dicks . Thats a big part of whats wrong with it , im not one of them. Please see the " wilful misinterpretation " post above,

I do apologise for number 4. I was hugely annoyed by those dodgy word choices, e.g. tokenism, which is something a selfish dick would and does usually say. I found the word choice offensive, especially when we know that in spite of this year being 2013, deaf people and BSL users still have a very limited access to BSL on TV. The limit hasn't changed since the 1960s, in fact.

Even so, it was low of me to call you that anyway. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I do apologise for number 4. I was hugely annoyed by those dodgy word choices, e.g. tokenism, which is something a selfish dick would and does usually say. I found the word choice offensive, especially when we know that in spite of this year being 2013, deaf people and BSL users still have a very limited access to BSL on TV. The limit hasn't changed since the 1960s, in fact.

Even so, it was low of me to call you that anyway. Sorry about that.

Its ok , really it is and you did make some points that I think are well pertinent. Im betting that were actually more in agreement than not .
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm up late, I don't mind too much having a signer, but I do wish they would wear darkish clothing.
    A while ago I saw a signer wearing a bright red jumper, and I found it hard to concentrate on the program.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    What bugs me about the sign language on TV is that they reduce the size of the video image on the screen, presumably in order to make room to accommodate the signer, yet they cover up half the video with the damn signer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    If I'm up late, I don't mind too much having a signer, but I do wish they would wear darkish clothing.
    A while ago I saw a signer wearing a bright red jumper, and I found it hard to concentrate on the program.

That's surprising. Sign language interpreters are usually discouraged from wearing clothes in loud colours or distracting textile patterns. It's a strain on eyes for BSL users and watchers, so your annoyance is fully justified in that case.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My four year old was moaning about signers on CBeebies on Sunday.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many people who have issues with the signing are actually deaf? it seems to me that these programmes with signing aren't aimed at you at all. You're having issues with them because they have been specially tailored to meet a certain demographic, who are usually very under-represented in terms of accessibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    What bugs me about the sign language on TV is that they reduce the size of the video image on the screen, presumably in order to make room to accommodate the signer, yet they cover up half the video with the damn signer.

Well, it is for BSL users. The video image is, as a whole, a visual reference for a BSL user whilst reading the interpreter's signing, which involves facial expressions, usage of space around the body, hand gestures, finger-spelling and body movements.

Reducing the size of an interpreter is equal to lowering the volume of an audio tape.