Options

Why doesnt the RSPCA end Halal/ kosher meat slaughter?

codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
Forum Member
✭✭
If you cut the throat of your pet and let it bleed to death, you would be up in court (rightly so).

And yet everyday in the slaughterhouses of the UK this happens.

Why are the RSPCA doing absolutely nothing about it - where are the arrests?

Comments

• Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure if Halal involved cutting the throat of your pet and letting it bleed to death the RSPCA would be very much involved.

However, the rules are always different for livestock. Some animals are lesser than others to human eyes.

Personally I'd like to ban the entire factory meat industry. We're not even supposed to eat that much meat. 80% of it could disappear from people's diets and they'd only feel healthier as a result.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    I'm sure if Halal involved cutting the throat of your pet and letting it bleed to death the RSPCA would be very much involved.

However, the rules are always different for livestock. Some animals are lesser than others to human eyes.

Personally I'd like to ban the entire factory meat industry. We're not even supposed to eat that much meat. 80% of it could disappear from people's diets and they'd only feel healthier as a result.

Agree with this and I'm a meat eater. I think, as a society, we eat far too much meat nowadays.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    *pulls up leather wingback, dons my comfy slippers, sits back and waits*
  • Options
    gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case you hadn't noticed OP Islam must always trump the indigenous people's way of life.

It makes the indigenous people feel less racist if they allow this to happen, even if it flies in the face of everything they truly believe in.

There is your answer succinctly put.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case you hadn't noticed OP Islam must always trump the indigenous people's way of life.

It makes the indigenous people feel less racist if they allow this to happen, even if it flies in the face of everything they truly believe in.

I'm completely against halal (and kosher) slaughter but your argument ignores the fact there are other religious exemptions to laws everyone else has to follow. It's not only Muslims who are granted special rights due to their faith.

It's all a nonsense. If something is worth legislating over then proclaiming belief in any particular deity should not exempt anybody from these laws.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,323
    Forum Member
    Well RSPCA don't want to know about much really, they certainly don't want to take the animals on.

I don't like the Halal method of slaughter but I don't like UK way of slaughter either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    If you cut the throat of your pet and let it bleed to death, you would be up in court (rightly so).

And yet everyday in the slaughterhouses of the UK this happens.

Why are the RSPCA doing absolutely nothing about it - where are the arrests?

How could they do that? So far as I know it is legal as long as it is done according to correct procedure. Like kosher meat for the Jews what is needed is for the deed to be done as humanely as possible and still fulfil the religious requirements, I am not a Muslim or a Jew but believe religious freedom is necessary for us all just like freedom of speech is. It allows individuals and groups freedoms that otherwise would be controlled by the state. How long (I ask myself) would it be before we had a dictatorial form of government if we lost the three fundamentals of freedom of speech, belief and action, which we presently enjoy here in the UK. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »

Did you really?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you really?
    How would he read your post? He's probably so busy waiting he's not even hit the refresh key.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »

That's so 1930's.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,068
    Forum Member
    I am ok with kosher and halal if the animal is pre stunned, so is unconscious when its throat is slit. Non per stunned slaughter is barbaric though and it's to the eternal shame of the RSPCA they don't seem at all fussed about this.
  • Options
    NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "And, according to an RSPCA fact sheet, 90% of animals killed for halal food in 2004 were stunned first."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/sep/20/halal-meat-the-truth
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the hell has pets got to do with this?

Do non-muslims eat their pets non-halal then? Why doesn't the RSPCA stop people BBQ-ing their cats and hamsters?
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,068
    Forum Member
    How could they do that? So far as I know it is legal as long as it is done according to correct procedure. Like kosher meat for the Jews what is needed is for the deed to be done as humanely as possible and still fulfil the religious requirements, I am not a Muslim or a Jew but believe religious freedom is necessary for us all just like freedom of speech is. It allows individuals and groups freedoms that otherwise would be controlled by the state. How long (I ask myself) would it be before we had a dictatorial form of government if we lost the three fundamentals of freedom of speech, belief and action, which we presently enjoy here in the UK. :rolleyes:

Sorry animal rights come before religious rights in any decent and caring society.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be banned, but these things take time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the hell has pets got to do with this?

Do non-muslims eat their pets non-halal then? Why doesn't the RSPCA stop people BBQ-ing their cats and hamsters?

because if i killed my pet calf in exactly the same way it is done in a slaughterhouse, i would be in court.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because if i killed my pet calf in exactly the same way it is done in a slaughterhouse, i would be in court.
    Do you have a pet calf?
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How quickly the debate took Kosher slaughter out of the equation and turned it's attention exclusively to Islam/Muslims.

In actual fact, no Kosher meat is processed in the UK from animals stunned prior to slaughter whereas the vast majority (approx. 85%) of Halal slaughter is pre-stunned:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18187137

So what's the reasoning behind the reluctance to tackle Kosher slaughter? Does it make the indigenous population feel less racist too?

Also, preventing animal cruelty goes far beyond the debate about stunning or not stunning. Why don't people kick up as much of a fuss about the appalling conditions some animals are raised in, even before they reach the slaughterhouse?
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    "And, according to an RSPCA fact sheet, 90% of animals killed for halal food in 2004 were stunned first."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/sep/20/halal-meat-the-truth

10% is a lot. If you record a figure, somebody must know about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Also, preventing animal cruelty goes far beyond the debate about stunning or not stunning. Why don't people kick up as much of a fuss about the appalling conditions some animals are raised in, even before they reach the slaughterhouse?
    As I posted above, people are conditioned to see certain animals as only livestock. Meaning they're just food-in-waiting anyway, so it's less important to treat them well.

Never mind that pigs are as intelligent and inquisitive as dogs. People want their bacon sandwiches.

Except Muslims and Jews of course :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really and what do you think would happen to you if you just killed your pet calf anyway? Like by stunning it. Or shooting it? Please explain why you think the RSPCA/Police/Courts wouldn't be interested in that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't people kick up as much of a fuss about the appalling conditions some animals are raised in, even before they reach the slaughterhouse?

I agree, but it should be very quick and easy to fix the method of killing the animals, to make it as stress free and painless as possible.

Bleeding to death is just not right, and cannot be justified on any level.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand some top Islamic clerics have suggested stunning is acceptable, so long as the stunning does not kill the beast, in which case it would be haram.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really and what do you think would happen to you if you just killed your pet calf anyway? Like by stunning it. Or shooting it? Please explain.

If i killed a pet by slitting its throat and letting it bleed to death, i would be in court on grounds of animal cruelty.

If i dispatched, say, a pet dog quickly and painlessly, via a bolt to the head, i would not be in court.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Why don't people kick up as much of a fuss about the appalling conditions some animals are raised in, even before they reach the slaughterhouse?

How much of a fuss have you kicked up?