Options

Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note that Reeva's almost-Dad said that she texted him at 10, 10.30 to tell him that she'd be sleeping over at Oscar's.

OP's statement said that they were in the bedroom at 10pm, her doing yoga and him watching TV. So if OP's account is truthful, presumably the text was sent while they were together in the bedroom, or she was in the bathroom? Did he notice her texting?

I also note that the almost-Dad said : she went with Oscar to a sports-awards evening. And after that he wouldn’t leave her alone. He kept pestering her, phoning and phoning and phoning her. And...She told me he pushed her a bit into a corner. She felt caged in. I told her I would talk to him. I told him not to force himself on her. Back off.

Those photographs they constantly print of the two of them dressed up at ceremonies do often show OP looking at her with intense admiration. There hasn't been a shred of gossip about her being anything other than a warm, nice, much-loved girl, who nevertheless wasn't a fool and wasn't about to be pushed around.

I also note that the bedroom door was locked.

We've seen lots of evidence that OP is someone who presents as quiet and charming, but can become violently threatening when things don't suit him.

It's not hard to come up with a scenario where

- Reeva stayed over because OP was being very demanding that she did so.

- she used her phone to text, at the very least sending one text to her almost-Dad.

- OP was upset and angry over the text(s), and there was an argument. He had two guns and a cricket bat in that bedroom.

- Reeva could not get out of the bedroom, because the door was locked and she didn't know where the key was.

- She goes to take shelter in the toilet, because that's the only part of the bedroom/bathroom complex where she can lock herself away from him. She takes her phone, so she can call for help.

- OP sees a red mist, and lets off four rounds.

All of that could be completely wrong, but it seems to me to fit the physical facts better than OP's account.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    There are a lot of private planes & landing strips in SA.

Not to mention what doors and obstacles a brown envelope of cash can open or remove in countries that are accessible entirely by land from SA!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    It's not really a 'herbal' remedy at all, it increases testosterone production, but is not a steroid as such i.e. it's a way of cheating whilst not being easily detectable.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really a 'herbal' remedy at all, it increases testosterone production, but is not a steroid as such i.e. it's a way of cheating whilst not being easily detectable.

are they using the word "homeopathic" to say that it doesnt work at all?

if so, why take it?
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought tests for athletes include testing for increased testosterone levels, not just testing for steroids?
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    If his story is true, its entirely plausible that when he went into the bathroom he didn't know what to expect.

And it was only once in there and he saw the open window and heard noise in the toilet that, in a split second, he both came to the conclusion he did, and fired.

It seems entirely plausible that by the time he became sure it was an intruder he then had that call to make on the spot, in the blink of an eye.

Which in my mind is a plausible explanation as to why he didn't wake Reeva.

Regarding him shooting when he knew there were no windows for escape. To me, that supports his story, insomuch as if he knew there were no windows, he would know any would be intruder would have to pass himself and Reeva to escape.

Something that would pose more of a threat than if any intruder could flee via the toilet.

Was the window open from the inside or the outside? The investigators should have an opinion on this. If the window was opened from the outside, various dirt and flora would be disturbed.

The other troubling aspect is why he would carry her away from the bathroom. Athletes know first aid. Call medics first, then work to staunch the bleeding, do CPR if breathing stops. Carrying someone with a possible head injury down the stairs?

If he had prior threats, he could have afforded a body guard on his salary. Any evidence he talked of hiring one.

Final troubling aspect is that guys who sleep with girls know they get up during the night to pee. You have to assume he never had girls sleep over and never heard sounds coming from the bathroom before. What did he do on all the other nights a girl was in the bathroom?
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends if he was standing, or on his backside, or knees.

The point is, that between:

1. It being completely dark.
    2. The bedclothes likely being folded back not being that dissimilar to a person, in darkness at least.
    3. His likely lower than normal view.
    4. That he would likely, at that point been focusing on the bathroom.

All combine to make it plausible that he wouldn't have noticed here absence.

No. Read my last post a couple above this one of yours.

"The surgeon would attach his heel bones to his knees so that they would form stumps for Oscar to move around."

There really is no reason to think he'd be shuffling around on his bum, and at 5'2" his view would not be low.

I also wonder if there were any bedclothes beyond a sheet. It was apparently a very hot night, so I doubt they would have been using duvets or blankets. That's if they'd even gone to bed, of course. We only have his word for that.
  • Options
    LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I note that Reeva's almost-Dad said that she texted him at 10, 10.30 to tell him that she'd be sleeping over at Oscar's.

OP's statement said that they were in the bedroom at 10pm, her doing yoga and him watching TV. So if OP's account is truthful, presumably the text was sent while they were together in the bedroom, or she was in the bathroom? Did he notice her texting?

I also note that the almost-Dad said : she went with Oscar to a sports-awards evening. And after that he wouldn’t leave her alone. He kept pestering her, phoning and phoning and phoning her. And...She told me he pushed her a bit into a corner. She felt caged in. I told her I would talk to him. I told him not to force himself on her. Back off.

Those photographs they constantly print of the two of them dressed up at ceremonies do often show OP looking at her with intense admiration. There hasn't been a shred of gossip about her being anything other than a warm, nice, much-loved girl, who nevertheless wasn't a fool and wasn't about to be pushed around.

We've seen lots of evidence that OP is someone who presents as quiet and charming, but can become violently threatening when things don't suit him.

- she used her phone to text, at the very least sending one text to her almost-Dad.

- OP was upset and angry over the text(s), and there was an argument. He had two guns and a cricket bat in that bedroom.

- Reeva could not get out of the bedroom, because the door was locked and she didn't know where the key was.

- She goes to take shelter in the toilet, because that's the only part of the bedroom/bathroom complex where she can lock herself away from him. She takes her phone, so she can call for help.

All of that could be completely wrong, but it seems to me to fit the physical facts better than OP's account.

It's also plausible that she takes her phone because she wants to carry on texting someone which enrages him further as they are already in the middle of a heated argument. So she is texting behind a locked door so he tries to shoot the lock off. She's confined to a small space and is hit by the bullets. We'll just have to wait for the trial and the rest of the evidence.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    are they using the word "homeopathic" to say that it doesnt work at all?

if so, why take it?
    Possibly just marketing bs, I suspect the people giving athletes this stuff or recommending it know exactly what it does.
    rionia wrote: »
    I thought tests for athletes include testing for increased testosterone levels, not just testing for steroids?
    Probably, maybe they only take it out of season, out of season testing relies on the honesty or effectiveness of national sporting bodies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    The prosecution hasn't presented their interpretation of the autopsy findings yet.... in fact they have not presented virtually anything.

Because the trial hasn't begun.

But the prosecution at the bail hearing did, under cross examination, agree that there were no such wounds on the body. Surely if the scull had been bashed in they would have said so, instead of agreeing with the defence?!
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »

They only seem to fit better for one reason, which is apparent only with hindsight. Namely that there was no intruder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Was the window open from the inside or the outside? The investigators should have an opinion on this. If the window was opened from the outside, various dirt and flora would be disturbed.

The other troubling aspect is why he would carry her away from the bathroom. Athletes know first aid. Call medics first, then work to staunch the bleeding, do CPR if breathing stops. Carrying someone with a head injury down the stairs?

If he had prior threats, he could have had a body guard on his salary.

Final troubling aspect is that guys who sleep with girls know they get up during the night to pee. You have to assume he never had girls sleep over and never heard sounds coming from the bathroom before. What did he do on all the other nights a girl was in the bathroom?

I don't know that it matters where the window was open from.

I didn't know that athletes know first aid.

According to his testimony, he was told on the phone to take her.

Your last paragraph is pure conjecture. For all we know in the past he either didn't hear anything, or was in bed and disturbed if and when they got up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"The surgeon would attach his heel bones to his knees so that they would form stumps for Oscar to move around."

There really is no reason to think he'd be shuffling around on his bum, and at 5'2" his view would not be low.

I also wonder if there were any bedclothes beyond a sheet. It was apparently a very hot night, so I doubt they would have been using duvets or blankets. That's if they'd even gone to bed, of course. We only have his word for that.

OK, fair enough. Although the main factor is the darkness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LH1 wrote: »
    It's also plausible that she takes her phone because she wants to carry on texting someone which enrages him further as they are already in the middle of a heated argument. So she is texting behind a locked door so he tries to shoot the lock off. She's confined to a small space and is hit by the bullets. We'll just have to wait for the trial and the rest of the evidence.

A lot has been said about how OPs version of events is unreasonable.

But are we to believe that shooting your girlfriend dead through a locked door because she has been texting is any more reasonable?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,933
    Forum Member
    But the prosecution at the bail hearing did, under cross examination, agree that there were no such wounds on the body. Surely if the scull had been bashed in they would have said so, instead of agreeing with the defence?!

According to one of the reporters in the court room, OP's own private forensic expert was also present at the autopsy:

Issue of bat & skull - IO & Oscar's pvt forensic expert were present at autopsy. Under cross-examination the IO said no sign of assault.

https://twitter.com/barrybateman
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

Only my opinion and not based on any facts .His surgeon may have attached the heel bones all those years ago but thats not to say he still uses the stumps to walk on . What suits a child is not always what suits an adult for balance etc in later life .

Stumps are mainly formed and measured and attention paid to them to aid the use of prosthetics rather than to walk on .Most amputees would be well aware to preserve a healthy stump to enable the use of prosthetic limbs and in Oscars case the blades .
    Seeing the images of his stumps I am guessin he uses his knees and not the stumps becuase they dont look like they have muscles or indeed the width to balance a adult males weight .Its only my opinion not fact .
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

But are we to believe that shooting your girlfriend dead through a locked door because she has been texting is any more reasonable?

After many years of living on this planet I have come to realize that a human being is not always reasonable or that infact you will every understand anyones reasoning or reactions .Anything in this case is possible , be it reasonable or not in our eyes .
    A human being never fails to surprise me in his actions or lack off .
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing the images of his stumps I am guessin he uses his knees and not the stumps becuase they dont look like they have muscles or indeed the width to balance a adult males weight .Its only my opinion not fact .

Yes, without doubt he uses his knees. It's my impression that "stumps" refers to the knees, strengthened by those attached heelbones, and not to the residual parts of the lower leg. It's pretty clear that the latter would be insufficient to walk on.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know that it matters where the window was open from.

I didn't know that athletes know first aid.

According to his testimony, he was told on the phone to take her.

Your last paragraph is pure conjecture. For all we know in the past he either didn't hear anything, or was in bed and disturbed if and when they got up.

It matters in that the open window is what alerted him to an intruder. If he opened the window after the shooting, they should be able to tell. If he was terrified of intruders, why would the window be left open? He would make sure everything was secure. Why would you lock the bedroom door and leave a window open?

Of course athletes know how to handle injuries.

Why didn't he hear anything in the past? It's a reasonable question for someone who should have heard women get up in the night in his house before. Women are supposed to urinate after sex, they use tampons, many reasons that a guy would not be surprised to hear someone in the bathroom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was mentioned last week, and other places have reported it. We wont know until the trial though whether there is anything in it.

All that was mentioned last week was that a bloodied bat was found

I just did a quick google, and The Daily Mail seems to be the source of the information about the bashed in scull, and the police showing relatives pictures of it.

The other reports which mention it either give the Daily Mail as their source or seem to quote almost word for word from it.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Domestic disputes have resulted in many deaths over the years, and it is more plausable, because she was in the bathroom, and he shot her.

There was no burglar, and some find his story, and actions far fetched to say the least.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All that was mentioned last week was that a bloodied bat was found

I just did a quick google, and The Daily Mail seems to be the source of the information about the bashed in scull, and the police showing relatives pictures of it.

The other reports which mention it either give the Daily Mail as their source or seem to quote almost word for word from it.

http://www.channel4.com/news/pistorius-bloodied-cricket-bat-found-at-home
    Speaking to Channel 4 News, Adriaan Basson, assistant editor of the City Press said: "What we've been able to put together is that there was a cricket bat inside Oscar Pistorius's bedroom that was covered in blood.

"This is a key piece of evidence that police will use in their trial.
    "A possible version that the police are looking at is that Mr Pistorius may have indeed assaulted his girlfriend before shooting at her.

"This is supported by these injuries to her head.

The story came from SA, not the Mail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live reporting that Oscar's brother is in court next month for killing a woman in a traffic accident !

Crazy time for the parents .
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They only seem to fit better for one reason, which is apparent only with hindsight. Namely that there was no intruder.

It seems to me they fit better because

- OP's house does not seem to have been all that securely locked-down (open bathroom window, ladder left outside by workmen), which makes his sudden paranoia a little hard to accept.

- At no point does it seem to have occurred to OP to check that it wasn't his girlfriend in the toilet. The idea that he assumed she was in bed, without checking...and was convinced enough to let rip with a gun...is quite hard to believe. I can imagine scenarios where that might happen, but they depend on a striking lack of common sense and emotional maturity on OP's part. If this was behaviour that was within his normal psychological profile, then he's not safe to be in a house with anyone else, and certainly not safe to be allowed to own a gun. If he was incapacitated by substances, that's his own responsibility. Or perhaps his account is not accurate?

- He carried her downstairs. According to him, he was told to do so, which seems to me bizarre advice from the medics. I note that this would mean that the ambulance people wouldn't see the shot-up toilet door, and that the pursuit of justice seems a little half-hearted in SA. He called members of his family from the house, and from all I've seen and read, I suspect their first instinct would be to protect OP and offer advice to that end.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the cricket bat is interesting

why would it help in opening a toilet door?

if i couldnt open a toilet, i would put my shoulder behind it. Even if it were used to bash a lock off, why would it be covered in blood?

OP seems to have destroyed the crime scene by moving the body.
This discussion has been closed.