Options

DVD storage

PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
Forum Member
✭✭
Do any stores offer innovative storage solutions for DVD's in their 100's?

There is a bus shelter poster with Ikea doing something good looking but I can't seem to find it on their website.

"innovative storage solutions", listen to me ;) !

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By yourself a big hard drive and rip them to that, then stick them in the loft!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i bought a load of white sleeves, and stored the DVD boxes in the loft. they wieghed a ton! (metaphorically). and I still have too much storage requirement for the sleeved DVDs.

I really do not think storing on hard disks is feasible, because of the time necessary to rip a large collection, and the massive storage requirement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iI really do not think storing on hard disks is feasible, because of the time necessary to rip a large collection, and the massive storage requirement.

It's very feasible, I've done it with all mine. Depending on how many DVDs you need a few TB storage but the cost of multi-TB drives has dropped considerably. I've got a NAS that you can just add another drive to when needed.

Agreed, there is a big time investment at first, but there's no compulsion to do it all at once, then you just add incrementally.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get standard size cases that house up to 6 discs.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    By yourself a big hard drive and rip them to that, then stick them in the loft!

That's what's happening in this house. All music and dvd is being stored electronically.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have all my cds on my pc, but i have not thrown the discs away. If anything goes wrong with the pc i would need the cd. I have a hard disc backup but no help if the pc isnt working.
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I have all my cds on my pc, but i have not thrown the discs away. If anything goes wrong with the pc i would need the cd. I have a hard disc backup but no help if the pc isnt working.

The thing is if you rip all your music, dvds and software and then sell the physical media then the copies technically aren't legal.
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    i bought a load of white sleeves, and stored the DVD boxes in the loft. they wieghed a ton! (metaphorically). and I still have too much storage requirement for the sleeved DVDs.

I really do not think storing on hard disks is feasible, because of the time necessary to rip a large collection, and the massive storage requirement.

and weight for weight, DVDs will weigh less than harddrive carrying same info
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone is going to spend lord knows how long ripping, organising lord know how much data make sure its backed up somehow unless you love doing it all over again every time a drive dies

The screams you hear in the night are not ghosts or other supernatural entities but the scream of someone who's just found out they need to re-rip 1000 dvd's and 3000 cd's worth of music :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    If someone is going to spend lord knows how long ripping, organising lord know how much data make sure its backed up somehow unless you love doing it all over again every time a drive dies
    If you run your NAS in a RAID mode you can provide for the failure of one or two drives without having to start again.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hence why i am soon buying a 2nd backup drive.

U can never have too many backups.

The issue with ripping dvd films, shows to pc is you need to use 2 or 3 other bits of software to break the encription + conpress, which...
    1 i dont know how to do
    2 i think the proces is ilegal

Cd is easy, itunes does it for you.

Bluray, i have no idea, and my pc doesnt even have a bluray drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    If you run your NAS in a RAID mode you can provide for the failure of one or two drives without having to start again.

But for a lot of people they have no idea what raid is and if you tell them they're going to have to spend 300 quid on drives but only have 150 quids worth of 'usable' space they normally mutter about waste of money and they'll need the space so just set it as raid 0 (JBOD) and think a drive failure will never happen to them ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So no ideas then? I didn't ask about ripping them from disc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people just get a DJ style box(s) with slip inserts and slap the disk in that and in another box slap all the covers/inserts etc and then junk the cases and job done or you can hit ebay and dump probably half the collection for next to nothing and gain space that way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    The issue with ripping dvd films, shows to pc is you need to use 2 or 3 other bits of software to break the encription + conpress, which...
    1 i dont know how to do
    2 i think the proces is ilegal

Bluray, i have no idea, and my pc doesnt even have a bluray drive.
    There's loads of software that will do all that, you don't need multiple programs. I use DVDFab, you have to pay for it but it will rip anything. As for the legality, as long as you're not making copies to sell nobody will know or care.

You would obviously need a BD drive to rip blu rays, they're not very expensive anymore, you could swap or add a drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penrose wrote: »
    So no ideas then? I didn't ask about ripping them from disc.

Yeah, read post #5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to compromise them in any way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wouldn't be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I would. I have a lot of DVDs and I want shelving to display them all.

I'm looking for actual bookcase type shelves or stacked pullout style drawers or displays.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    look 1Tb HDD will hold about 100 disks, will it not.

I think I must have at least 1000 DVD's, not to mention about 100 blurays by now, and any number of CDs

so that's going to cost me at least £1000 for the DVDs alone.

I doubt very much if the "ripped" disk will allow me to watch all the special features, subtitles, commentaries etc, either.

and it will take me forever to rip them all.

I'll keep the plastic, ta very much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I would. I have a lot of DVDs and I want shelving to display them all.

I'm looking for actual bookcase type shelves or stacked pullout style drawers or displays.

You might have mentioned that in your first post. All you mentioned was storage, not displaying them all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For maximum display appeal you'll probably have to get the thing custom made to ensure the maximum space usage so either build it yourself or get someone to design and construct it for you which won't be cheap and if i know you are like several of my friends you'll hate the solid walls of dvd's after a few weeks anyway as who wants to know you own a copy of some £1 dvd from poundland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    You might have mentioned that in your first post. All you mentioned was storage, not displaying them all.

I mentioned Ikea, not PC World. Surely that was a clue?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, sounds like your solution is to go to Ikea and choose some shelves. They have lots of options!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You asked about storage and mentioned ikea, suggesting you were interested in physical storage. That is why I suggested standard DVD cases that hold 6 discs. My suggestion had nothing to do with pc world or ripping.