Options

Black Mirror Series 2

Comments

• Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched Be Right Back, preffered that to White Bear which seemed too over the top.
  • Options
    kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I managed to watch the first two episodes of this series last night and really enjoyed them. I thought White Bear was great, but then I'm into that kind of thing.

My take on it is simple. It's that the people who film nasty things going on in real life on their mobiles, can be just as guilty as those committing the actual crime as they're getting some kind of enjoyment/entertainment out of someone else's suffering.

Now going to hunt down his previous series.
  • Options
    Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many different levels to this.

Firstly, it mirrors the reactionary and psychopathic contradictions of society. We don't know if the main character is acting or is a convicted accomplice who volunteers for one weeks humiliation to escape the long 15 year sentence. The media can manipulate the truth to sex up their ratings (ie Network movie) and their profit. We cannot be certain that there is any truth in major stories on mainstream media and in newspapers; we just believe it to be the truth and react in a way that only a reactionary mob mentality would. The sick ones in my opinion are the people who pay to see the suffering. The main character could be an actress who is all part of a psycholigical operation to make the watching public think that they are receiving justice in a truly democratic society. Let us hope that she the subject will get her mind wiped when it's over. Then again to stop her committing further crimes, the idea might be for her to retain the memory of the humiliation as a deterrent to not doing it again.
    Secondly, she is lucky to have her brain wiped as it removes a lifetime of programming, brainwashing, hate, fear, suffering, you name it. I am been trying for the last 4 years to to detox myself of 50 years of blatant indoctrination propaganda through, religion, tv, education, cinema and all matter of institutional oppression. Whether, i would volunteer to have all the good memories removes as well as the bad; i don't know.
    Whatever, this is an amazing piece of thought provoking drama, well done Charlie, very clever. After watching this episode and all the previous ones, i feel i have been through a disturbing experience but was thoroughly entertained, very strange. Having said that, i can't wait to see next weeks episode.

Good point, in simpler terms which might amuse but this episode actually made me think of The Running Man as soon as the reveal happened. Arnie got set-up in that film quite easily due to corrupt manipulation, so as the audience we could easily assume that she could in fact have done nothing in the first place and was just a guinea pig.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    That's kind of the point (as far as I interpret it); in the public's fervor to get satisfaction and 'justice' they've come up with a system which satisfies that fervor through repeated and futile torture, without serving any purpose in terms of delivering justice.

I loved it, I was gripped from the off (although the first act owes a big debt to The Walking Dead) and by the end I was feeling all beaten up inside. That = good TV for me.

Yep, same for me.
    I thought it was excellent, really disturbing and in the end I was more disgusted with the normal folk and their fervour for relentless torture/populist justice versus Victoria's crime.

Good stuff, Brooker.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Be Right Back, preffered that to White Bear which seemed too over the top.

and the last half an hour of be right back wasn't over the top? be right back is probably my least favourite but it was still ok.

15 million merits
    the entire history of you
    white bear
    be right back/the national anthem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumped for Waldo.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show may be prophetic considering that a comedian in Italy might decide the outcome of the government as he is getting a great deal of votes :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie played by Daniel Rigby, who got Best Actor BAFTA for being Eric Morecambe.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Waldo seems very Ali G, politicians wouldn't fall for that again.

Tristrams!
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Is that that guy from the BT ads??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inspired by Angus the Monkey who was elected Mayor of Hartlepool no doubt (re-elected under his real name as he did a good job as well).
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that woman being serious about the murders? lol I couldn't suss it out lol she looked so serious.

Interested to see what her involvement in all of this is going to be...
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see where Brooker is going to bring a dark twist, unless waldo somehow becomes PM and turns the uk into a facist state or somthing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was that woman being serious about the murders? lol I couldn't suss it out lol she looked so serious.

Interested to see what her involvement in all of this is going to be...

Maybe Waldo's opponent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam Monroe, her and Waldo... if she is revealed as a killer then Waldo has this in the bag ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did we miss the part where the Labour candidate said she was a Common Purpose graduate because I can't see why they chose her otherwise?
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Penis! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Alleged comedian" is right.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reality the van would have been swarmed by police as soon as he said "Hey I'm Waldo"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG! She really is as dumb as a bag of hammers! :eek: :o
  • Options
    FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was a quick transition...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well that escalated quickly...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    Well that escalated quickly...

Never underestimate the combined power of comedy and alcohol ;)
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saved the worst till last
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is Waldo meant to be unfunny?

Is this Brooker's idea of the kind of crude humour enjoyed by the dumb proles?