Options

BT Sports Channel

Comments

• Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the BT Sport package will be a rolling 30 day contract, like Setanta and ESPN were, even if they sell it themselves?
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what date these BT channels will start broadcasting, and when will ESPN's channels stop?
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what date these BT channels will start broadcasting, and when will ESPN's channels stop?
    The last day of ESPN's operations is scheduled to be 31/7/2013.

How the channels pan out we don't know ie:
    ESPN UK - we guess this ceases 31/7 with BT Sport 1 transmitting in its slots from 1/8.
    ESPN A - we are pretty convinced this will continue on 1/8 but operated by BT.
    ESPN Classic - we know this will cease anytime up to and including 31/7. It is not being acquired by BT.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the press release it said the transaction was expected to complete on the 31st July so they may well run until then and then start as BT on August 1st
    Yes, I agree that we forget how good Setanta's rights were.

We do, and when you add in the fact Setanta had NRL and AFL also it made for a well rounded group of rights.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,562
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I suppose the BT Sport package will be a rolling 30 day contract, like Setanta and ESPN were, even if they sell it themselves?

Probably yes, but for new subscribers, they will I am sure could also offer a choice of bundles with a Youview from BT box and/or BT Inifinity and/or phone, which may or may not include Sports as part of a 12/18 month BT Vision contract.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    ESPN UK will continue as part of the BT pack from 1st Aug, ESPN A will cease, and that content will move onto ESPN UK.

So there will be BT1, BT2 and ESPN UK in the BT Sports pack.
  • Options
    cook0891cook0891 Posts: 2,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    BT Sport has clearly assembled a significantly better sports rights portfolio than ESPN currently has. But how does it compare to Setanta in 2008/09? I think the main rights break down as follows:

Setanta 2008/09:
    - 46 PL games (Sat 5.30pm slot, no 1st picks) [vs 92 PL games on Sky]
    - FA Cup secondary package
    - England away World Cup qualifiers
    - England home friendlies
    - SPL (exclusive???)
    - Several European football leagues
    - US PGA Tour golf
    - Boxing (inc Hatton, Haye, Calzaghe)
    - Setanta Sports News channel
    - US Sports channel (NASN)

BT Sport 2013/14:
    - 38 PL games (Sat 12.45pm slot, 18 1st picks) [vs 116 PL games on Sky]
    - FA Cup secondary package
    - SPL secondary package
    - Europa League (3rd and 4th picks)
    - Several European football leagues
    - Aviva Premiership rugby
    - Womens WTA Tennis
    - US Sports channel (ESPNA)

It's easy to forget that in 2007/10 Setanta (/ ESPN) had 46 live PL games against only 92 on Sky. BT has the significant advantage of 18 1st picks (though we don't yet know quite how good these will prove to be) but it has 8 fewer games (38 compared to 46) and a worse timeslot. Sky meanwhile now has 116 games compared to 92 at that point.

As far as the other rights are concerned it's a fairly close run thing - essentially boiling down to England away WC qualifiers and home friendlies, US PGA Tour golf and boxing on Setanta vs Europa League (3rd / 4th picks), Aviva Premiership and WTA tennis on BT Sport. In my view Setanta would just about edge that comparison though views will obviously differ.

Setanta then had its own sports news channel - we haven't yet heard about any such operation from BT.

Of course we have to remember BT is not finished yet and may well acquire many more rights.

Looking back Setanta did have some very good rights (I am personally not into Rugby so would shade it for me) Also didn't you get Racing UK thrown in as part of package? I never seemed to pay full price for Setanta either, either 3 months for £10 or £5 per month. I quite liked Setanta looking back for rights and what had to offer.
  • Options
    Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN UK will continue as part of the BT pack from 1st Aug, ESPN A will cease, and that content will move onto ESPN UK.

Why do you think this? BT had already bought the rights to Serie A, RU Premiership, Ligue 1 etc way before this purchase of ESPN came about. Do you honestly think these comps will just continue on ESPN UK? Surely they'll be on either BT Sports 1 or 2, and if so what will ESPN UK have to fill their schedules out with?
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,100
    Forum Member
    Gray77 wrote: »
    what will ESPN UK have to fill their schedules out with?

The World Welly Wanging Championships?
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know the new line up was to be.
    Bt sport 1 (formerly ESPN Uk)
    Bt sport 2
    ESPN America (under bt control)
  • Options
    pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of when ESPN change owners, I'm still cancelling my subscription 31 days prior to their last EPL game and let the new owners/operators tempt me at the start of the new season!
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ESPN America UK has a series of FAQs on its site about the changes. Does not add much but does refer several times to ESPN not leaving the UK, just, in effect, being under different control here (ie BT).

ESPN will not go off the air, it insists, its presence will just change.

Suggests they wanted to retain a presence in the UK and may have insisted on the ESPN name continuing to retain the impression that they still exist in the UK.

They also say that ESPN America will show what it shows now up to and after 31 July - though, again, without reference to MLB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Looking back Setanta did have some very good rights (I am personally not into Rugby so would shade it for me) Also didn't you get Racing UK thrown in as part of package? I never seemed to pay full price for Setanta either, either 3 months for £10 or £5 per month. I quite liked Setanta looking back for rights and what had to offer.
    I've just had a quick check at what was available, there were some 10 channels or affiliates:
    • Setanta Sports 1
    • Setanta Sports 2
    • Setanta Golf
    • Setanta Sports News (JV with Virgin, FTA)
    • NASN (Co-owned with venture capital firm Benchmark Capital Europe)
    • Racing UK (independent but in the pack)
    • Four football club channels with varying degrees of ownership (Arsenal, Liverpool, Celtic and Glasgow Rangers)
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setanta really did overreach way too quickly. With better management they might still be around today.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,990
    Forum Member
    They also say that ESPN America will show what it shows now up to and after 31 July - though, again, without reference to MLB.

I think we can safely assume that the existing ESPN America will have MLB coverage as normal until 31 July.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    I think we can safely assume that the existing ESPN America will have MLB coverage as normal until 31 July.

Hope so. And hope they clarify what is happening long term before then. The silence on MLB is not encouraging,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know the new line up was to be.
    Bt sport 1 (formerly ESPN Uk)
    Bt sport 2
    ESPN America (under bt control)
    The fact that the press release refers to a least one ESPN-branded suggests that BT has not decided 100% to retain the name ESPN America.
    If there's just going to be one ESPN-branded channel in the UK then they might as well just call it ESPN. This could also allow them a bit of flexibility if there were any fixture clashes in non-US sports.
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    The fact that the press release refers to a least one ESPN-branded suggests that BT has not decided 100% to retain the name ESPN America.
    If there's just going to be one ESPN-branded channel in the UK then they might as well just call it ESPN. This could also allow them a bit of flexibility if there were any fixture clashes in non-US sports.

Interesting point and one which I hadn't considered. Given how synonymous the ESPN brand is with US sports, perhaps dropping the name America would give them the result you describe above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »

Exactly
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,047
    Forum Member
    JTsky wrote: »
    Exactly

I agree, I think that the ESPN channel will just be called ESPN, I do not think it will be called ESPN America, but of course we can be wrong, if BT decides to have a channel just for American sports
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I think that the ESPN channel will just be called ESPN, I do not think it will be called ESPN America, but of course we can be wrong, if BT decides to have a channel just for American sports

I'll look forward to seeing this conjecture on your Google Journalism Blog!
  • Options
    WMCAWMCA Posts: 337
    Forum Member

Yes, BT Vision on Twitter this afternoon confirms ESPN will be in the BT Sports pack and not sold seperately, and also reconfirming that BT Sport will be on Sky. So, we await the subscription cost, probably still a few months away?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I like ESPN I feel that BT Sport will just be a carbon copy of a product. It'll have Setanta's approach to clip at the heels of Sky though just with a higher budget and the means to stay affloat doing so.

Pundit wise they really need someone like Stewart Robson. He isn't afraid of speaking the truth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clever of ESPN to cash in and still manage to keep on the UK scene with BT paying for the privilage of using a now established name sports wise here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ESPN appear to have secured a 'placeholder' presence in the UK just in case they ever decide they might have a chance of returning.

They are a major global player in sports so they save face quite a bit by appearing to still be in Europe via the UK.

Maybe one day Disney will buy BT, rename it all back to ESPN Sports and we will all end up with Mickey Mouse phones!
This discussion has been closed.