Options

The Catholic Church is the One True Church

Comments

• Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you are saying, phylo, but I think resignation/retirement can mean the same thing in the Catholic Church.

I'm not sure that Cardinal O'Brien would say that...:p

What I meant is - I'm not sure how principles like Papal Infallibility can be preserved if suddenly there's TWO people about who are infallible! Benedict was anointed as Pope...so while he might resign from the Church office, how does he also manage to "resign" his anointing unto God??? :confused:

See the problem? ;)
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that Cardinal O'Brien would say that...:p

What I meant is - I'm not sure how principles like Papal Infallibility can be preserved if suddenly there's TWO people about who are infallible! Benedict was anointed as Pope...so while he might resign from the Church office, how does he also manage to "resign" his anointing unto God??? :confused:

See the problem? ;)

Yes, Ithink I see what you mean. But, as far as I'm aware, only the new pontiff will have that authority. Pope Benedict is giving up his office from 8pm on Thursday and will also surrender his papal symbolic regalia, lead seal, ring etc.

It does seem complicated though. I suppose we will just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

Re: Cardinal O'Brien - I think he actually handed in his 'resignation' a couple of months ago as he was officially supposed to retire next month.

I'm not a Roman Catholic though, so I could be very wrong in what I'm saying. :p
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This illustrates the problem...
    But, as far as I'm aware, only the new pontiff will have that authority. Pope Benedict is giving up his office from 8pm on Thursday and will also surrender his papal symbolic regalia, lead seal, ring etc.

See? ;)

Are they going to carry out some sort of dis-anointing??? They may be relegating him to an "emeritus" papal office...but what about the actual "God" bit? :eek:

The papacy isn't just about the office and the role - it's about the role in respect of God as well. The Infallibility bit, the "Christ's vicar on Earth" bit...

Think of it in these terms, as a "parable" :p Queen Elizabeth, wife of George VI, became Queen Elizabeth "the Queen Mother". She remained Queen Elizabeth....because she had been anointed as such alongside her husband IIRC.

Benedict may be "retired" as of Thursday - but he was still anointed, recognised by God in effect as his vicar on Earth. There are huge aspects of the papacy that do not bear directly on the Pope just holding office within the Church, but him being Pope in the sight of God.
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But, as far as I'm aware, only the new pontiff will have that authority. Pope Benedict is giving up his office from 8pm on Thursday and will also surrender his papal symbolic regalia, lead seal, ring etc.

Seems to me there are quite a few who have surrendered their ring to the catholic faith.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    Well, I think because of that fact, and as it hasn't happened before in our lifetime etc.

But I guess you would need to be interested in such things for it to matter. :)

Of course I am interested. This country is a cultural christian one.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Roman Emperors use to have a wicked way dealing with competitors.

In the 3rd century a lot of emperors were forced into the job
  • Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    Of course I am interested. This country is a cultural christian one.
    Not any more. Thankfully.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not any more. Thankfully.

Indeed.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Supreme Pontiff of the Holy Catholic Church is due to make his final General Audience. Live on BBC2. GOD BLESS THE HOLY FATHER!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    The Supreme Pontiff of the Holy Catholic Church is due to make his final General Audience. Live on BBC2. GOD BLESS THE HOLY FATHER!

I'm watching the Twitter feed from BBC and Keir Simmons.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any sign of Troll Pope AZZURRI VI?

I thought he'd be out giving us his daily sermon.

*edit*

Speak of the devil. :p
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God Bless you my child.:p
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    God Bless you my child.:p

Fancy being the next Pope? Pope AZZURRI has a ring to it.

Send in a CV and i will provide a reference.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,643
    Forum Member
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Fancy being the next Pope? Pope AZZURRI has a ring to it.

Send in a CV and i will provide a reference.

If AZURRI VI promises to excommunicate (or worse) Cardinal O'Brien he has my support too.
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    If AZURRI VI promises to excommunicate (or worse) Cardinal O'Brien he has my support too.

Oi! (non-catholic atheist here - hello).

What's he done to deserve that, then?
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,643
    Forum Member
    Oi! (non-catholic atheist here - hello).

What's he done to deserve that, then?
    Hello from an ex Catholic.... :)

how about alleged abuse of young priests, plus being extremely uncharitable towards gay people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cardinal-keith-obrien-departs-with-an-apology-but-no-admission-as-pope-forces-him-out-over-allegations-of--inappropriate-behaviour-8509612.html
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An anagram of pope benedict reads- epic bent pedo :eek:
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member

Is this like an Audience with Jim Davidson*/ A load of jokes about the Gays and immigrants and then some molestation

*Innocent until otherwise proven guilty in a court of law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will say one thing.

Its very bold of the Pope to retire, the first one in 500 odd years. If you look at the semi-dead Russian leaders of the eighties who just carried on regardless, although several committee men with a stirrup pump were required to move their blood around their bodies and a string to raise their hand.

Just wonder how many Popes there were 'non compos mentis' towards the end.
  • Options
    omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    Hello from an ex Catholic.... :)

how about alleged abuse of young priests, plus being extremely uncharitable towards gay people.

Am watching Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God - quite uncomfortable viewing

Wikipedia entry

Youtube trailer
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So are we non catholics being sent to hell by you and your holy father or not?
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »

We're already there. This is it :cry:
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »

I hope so because that is where all the coke and the hookers are going to be. :D

I don't even want the option of Heaven.... :p
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I hope so because that is where all the coke and the hookers are going to be. :D

And Oliver Reed & Keith Moon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably be surprised who is there and who isn't.

:)