Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Oh really missed that then. Thanks
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Maybe you and Hankshaw could form a double act?

And then **** off this topic.

Four posts and all to defend this show, you work on it?
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might lay the pathos on with a trowel and lack any subtlety, but there's not a half hour of TV at the moment that plays with my emotions like Derek. The world always seems a better place after each 30 minutes and I couldn't give a hoot if some cynical internet warrior(s) mocks me for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Four posts and all to defend this show, you work on it?

No, I work on your mum.

No but seriously, that's the best you've got? "Duh, 4 posts, he must work for them". F#ck you son.

If it please you, I might go and either dump on Mrs Brown's Boys, or form the forum equivalent of a circle-jerk over Urotsukidoji, and then you can't accuse me of working on the show.

Hell, based on that making of, I'd take working on that show over being a bitter twunt like you any day.
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I don't love Gervais, and Derek isn't particularly great, but it seems a bit precious to call him 'bullying'. In fact it probably credits him with having more emotional clout than he really does.

That's a fair point. Though it does remind me of the argument 'if people don't mind us laughing at them, where's the harm?'. Just because Gervais can doesn't mean he should. I just find it amazing he chooses this lowly, inoffensive targets and lays in to them.
    Maybe you and Hankshaw could form a double act?

And then **** off this topic.

Touched a nerve?

Another laughably bad episode. More awful characters. A young black man who thieves trainers, likes rap music and took part in the riots. Where do you come up with this stuff Ricky? How is this care home still open? Why aren't some of these people in prison or suspended? This is bizarro world.

Watching the lies pour out of his mouth on that Making of special was funnier than anything in the actual show.

The only way this show will make any sense is if in the final scene Derek signs his time sheet 'Verbal Kint' before winking at the camera and walking out the door.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,576
    Forum Member
    I am only watching this for Dougie .. he needs a show on his own :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    That's a fair point. Though it does remind me of the argument 'if people don't mind us laughing at them, where's the harm?'. Just because Gervais can doesn't mean he should. I just find it amazing he chooses this lowly, inoffensive targets and lays in to them.

Touched a nerve?

Another laughably bad episode. More awful characters. A young black man who thieves trainers, likes rap music and took part in the riots. Where do you come up with this stuff Ricky? How is this care home still open? Why aren't some of these people in prison or suspended? This is bizarro world.

Watching the lies pour out of his mouth on that Making of special was funnier than anything in the actual show.

The only way this show will make any sense is if in the final scene Derek signs his time sheet 'Verbal Kint' before winking at the camera and walking out the door.

Touched your mum.

No but really, did Ricky maim you, or kill your family in a terrorist plot?

No?

Then why the unhealthy bile? Feel good?
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bore off Hankshaw. Regular as clockwork with your pearls of wisdom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand those of you who carry on watching when you,dislike it.

Sad as
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyone who polarises opinion on DS as much as Ricky :rolleyes:

I was crying with laughter for most of last night's episode, but for anyone who doesn't like Derek or Ricky Gervais do not be alarmed - its just my own personal sense of humour :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has Gervais unleashed his army of flying twitter monkeys on us?

"Fly my sycophants, fly!"

The truth is its been downhill all the way for Gervais and riding on Karl Pilkington's coat-tails can't disguise that anymore.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    I watched the pilot and it wasn't really my thing, hence i ddnt watch the series. But i dont understand the people coming on this thread week after week continually hating on it, surely if its bad you just stop watching?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has Gervais unleashed his army of flying twitter monkeys on us?

"Fly my sycophants, fly!"

The truth is its been downhill all the way for Gervais and riding on Karl Pilkington's coat-tails can't disguise that anymore.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Wake me up when you say something of purpose. :sleep:
  • Options
    Natalie_CrannyNatalie_Cranny Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I was crying with laughter for most of last night's episode, but for anyone who doesn't like Derek or Ricky Gervais do not be alarmed - its just my own personal sense of humour :)[/QUOTE]

I really love it - I thought it was incredibly touching when he said that Dion was a good person.

And to the people who don't like the show - why are you watching it? I have a personal rule if I don't like a TV show - I don't bother watching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was one of the better episodes but still a retread just instead of a young white female thief discovering the value of working in an old folks home and showing a heart of gold you had a young black male instead.

And that Waynetta Slob, "she's a chav so she'll want a brown baby" stereotype was pretty crass IMO.
  • Options
    IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why some dislike Derek, because I don't really understand why I do.

It's overly sentimental, the laughs can be limited and the themes are repeated on a weekly basis, BUT I think that's what Gervais was aiming for. He wanted to write something where our opinion didn't differ to the characters' perceptions of themselves and each other. It's very 'what you see is what you get' and it's an easy half an hour of TV to watch every week (and I say this as somebody who doesn't watch television much).

Also, it does work as a comedy. It isn't a laugh a minute, and I think this is partly down to Gervais' desire to have the audience understand, and to some extent empaphise with the characters. Yet, it does also work as a comedy; the scene with the cast acting out 'Duran Duran' had me in genuine hysterics. What I will agree with though, is that Ricky has struck gold with Karl Pilkington, who is essentially Dougie; without Dougie, the show wouldn't be half as funny.

Anyway, I will be tuning into the finale next Wednesday and must admit that I'm going to miss it.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    How is this care home still open?

Because its fictional.

And despite HATING everything to do with the show, you spent a further 30 minutes watching a behind-the-scenes documentary, just so you could get even angier. Wow.

I take it youre not too excited about the Brent revival?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    I can understand why some dislike Derek, because I don't really understand why I do.

It's overly sentimental, the laughs can be limited and the themes are repeated on a weekly basis, BUT I think that's what Gervais was aiming for. He wanted to write something where our opinion didn't differ to the characters' perceptions of themselves and each other. It's very 'what you see is what you get' and it's an easy half an hour of TV to watch every week (and I say this as somebody who doesn't watch television much).

Also, it does work as a comedy. It isn't a laugh a minute, and I think this is partly down to Gervais' desire to have the audience understand, and to some extent empaphise with the characters. Yet, it does also work as a comedy; the scene with the cast acting out 'Duran Duran' had me in genuine hysterics. What I will agree with though, is that Ricky has struck gold with Karl Pilkington, who is essentially Dougie; without Dougie, the show wouldn't be half as funny.

Anyway, I will be tuning into the finale next Wednesday and must admit that I'm going to miss it.
    Kevin is funny too though, Dougie is not always that funny as it's just Karl playing himself, and he annoys me.
    I watched the making of Derek and it should have been just Karl sat there, Ricky and the actress playing Hannah could barely get a word in, he really loves to hear himself doesn't he?! and he is not as funny as he think he is.
    Gervais has created a monster there always letting him just yap away talking rubbish, I had to turn it off half way through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I take it youre not too excited about the Brent revival?

Just seen that, basically he's managing the rapper from this episode, setting up a possible Brent cameo in the next series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    Kevin is funny too though, Dougie is not always that funny as it's just Karl playing himself, and he annoys me

I don't think many agree with that, I think most think he's disgusting and wish he wasn't in the show.

I can see why he is though because everyone else is a saint, even the people on community service. Without him it would be even more sickly and sentimental than it is now.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    ............I take it youre not too excited about the Brent revival?

'Revival' as in repeat, or a new series?

'The Office' was excellent, as was 'Extras'. In both we had the opportunity to laugh at a ridiculous, pompous idiot with no empathy or self-awareness.

It's only later that it became clear that RG wasn't acting - in both series, he was merely playing himself.

In my opinion.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The truth is you spend most of your life on a forum trying to wind up others. Well done you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The truth is you spend most of your life on a forum trying to wind up others. Well done you.

Less than 6 posts a day is hardly all day.
  • Options
    bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legendary performances last night. Nice to see Brent coming back for Comic Relief as well.
    All you haters carry on hating, it ain't gonna change a damm thing.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know why Stephen Merchant isn't involved with Derek?