Options

Dogs off the lead

13»

Comments

• Options
    -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I have a Staffie and he is always on the lead but hate it when other owners just let there dogs run up to him and throw dirty looks or say something if he does growl or bark at there dog.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,652
    Forum Member
    4smiffy wrote: »
    Are you seriously asking?
    Now it is clear. You misunderstood what I said. Just because I would feel justified in taking an action does not mean I would not be pragmatic about actually taking that action. Would you forgive me for limiting myself to giving the owner some verbal abuse in the circumstances described?
  • Options
    blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    That's terrible when Mollie was attacked by a bunch of dogs a few years ago (all out of control and running as a pack) she took a good 18 months until I could get her to be calm around unknown dogs again. Still now 10 years later she is nervous with bigger dogs or any more than two at a time.

It stays with them for ever.

Horrible when you have a calm friendly dog that will submit and cause no one any problems to see her attacked she didn't even fight back just lay on her back screaming.

Made me far more wary of staffies and greyhounds that day.

Amber was attacked last year by a staffie that just came running out of its owners house.Like Mollie she just stood and took it, whilst the irresponsible owner tried to remove the staffie from Ambers neck. It was terrifying to see.

It made her very wary of same breed dogs for the rest of her days (we lost her last november) and rather spoilt our walks, for which I am a little resentful!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blossom24 wrote: »
    Amber was attacked last year by a staffie that just came running out of its owners house.Like Mollie she just stood and took it, whilst the irresponsible owner tried to remove the staffie from Ambers neck. It was terrifying to see.

It made her very wary of same breed dogs for the rest of her days (we lost her last november) and rather spoilt our walks, for which I am a little resentful!

I know where you're coming from Blossom. When our dog was attacked it was on a lovely village green where I'd walked for years. From that day on I never went there again.

This latest incident with the Rottweiller now means that I will never walk the path I did that day, which again is a great shame because it's a public footpath through nice countryside.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder if those of us who are abandoning areas (we did the same) are not helping as we are leaving the areas to the out of control group of owners who will not see how a good walker behaves ? Perhaps we should be insisting these areas are safe for all people and dogs.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Now it is clear. You misunderstood what I said. Just because I would feel justified in taking an action does not mean I would not be pragmatic about actually taking that action. Would you forgive me for limiting myself to giving the owner some verbal abuse in the circumstances described?

It was easy to misunderstand you! Just stay safe, is all I would say.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I do wonder if those of us who are abandoning areas (we did the same) are not helping as we are leaving the areas to the out of control group of owners who will not see how a good walker behaves ? Perhaps we should be insisting these areas are safe for all people and dogs.

To a point you're right but I'm afraid my fear is stronger than doing the right thing, if you see what I mean.

I've done my bit by reporting him to the police. They have been back and told me that they've spoken to him and told him he must keep his dog "under control" in a public place. I said "so he has to have it on a lead?" but apparently not!:rolleyes: How confusing is that? I have told the PCSO that I will be writing to the main police HQ here for further clarification.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no law that says an animal has to be on the lead just because it is in a public space (which by definition is everywhere but your own or someone elses private land ;)).
    Being kept under control is not necessarily the same..
    That said, as already mentioned, there may be local laws requiring leads in certain places. Or farmers sometimes put up notices especially at lambing time.
    I live in the country and my dog is pretty much a stranger to her lead. But if I see a walker approaching I sometimes put her on it as I know some people are afraid of dogs. She wants to meet and greet everyone but unfortunately she is getting a bit deaf so doesn't hear me calling her back.
    I'm getting on a bit myself and have only been bitten once - by a little yappy terrier affair at a friend's do. I'm more likely to get pounced on by some slobering over friendly Marmaduke type character with muddy paws. I'm a dog lover but that really does annoy me! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can't let Mollie of anymore since her hearing has been going, she panicked when she couldn't hear us calling her so we now make sure she is connected to us. Makes her happier to wander and takes the worry out of it for all of us.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think sometimes off lead dogs become out of control because the owners appear so uninterested. They are just walking along or dithering with their phone expecting their dog to entertain themselves, so of course the dog is going to find mischief to keep their mind occupied.

My older dog was attacked by a staff, my dog was on lead, the other staff wasn't and it just bit and held, I had to choke it out after all else failed (even the ball grab :eek: ). Now I carry a legal parting stick and defensive spray.

It is sad and frustrating for responsible owners when people allow their off lead dogs out of control. My Mum is not getting any younger and she's nearly been knocked over a few times now - in these situations, so long as the dog is not aggressive, it can expect a firm whack with her stick :mad:
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »

My older dog was attacked by a staff, my dog was on lead, the other staff wasn't and it just bit and held, I had to choke it out after all else failed (even the ball grab :eek: ). Now I carry a legal parting stick and defensive spray.
    I'm very wary of staffs. For all those people who say their staffs wouldn't hurt a flie, the issue is that when they do have a go, they are more difficult to shake off than most other dogs!
    Plus (present company excepted nat :D) some staff owners are not exactly the most responsible of dog owners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    We got our dog a few months ago, was told she was 3yrs but we think she is younger. She does not know how to approach dogs in a friendly way. Luckily we live near a park and only let her off her lead when she is playing with her ball. When play time is over, she goes back on the lead. She is unpredictable with other dogs. But hopeful with patience she will learn she does not have fight other dogs to play. Well meaning advice from other dog owners about my dog does not help...ie leave her, she will learn....not by letting her fight it out she won't. Would rather keep her on lead not only for her safety, but other dogs too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you consulted a behaviourist ? We got some help from one and it did improve the situation with one of our late dogs. May help if you got one involved.

Select carefully though as there are a lot of charlatans out there too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No we haven't, but i will look into it. She is friendly dog and well trained, just not when other dogs are involved. I will defiantly look into a behaviourist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it helps having had dog aggresive dogs in the past I know how much less pleasure they get out of a wlak compared to my friendly lumps now !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, i would love her to be involved in play with other friendly dogs in the park. I have just emailed a behaviorist see what they say. Most of them want to come to the house, but its not in the house that's the problem. Hopeful we will get her sorted out soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They usually like to see the dog relaxed in their own home first in my expereince then you move onto possibly a walk with them so they see the changes. So it's quite normal to meet in your home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, i never thought of that. Just wait for them to get back to me and see what they say.