Options

Talksport Chat (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    This guy has seriously gone downhill as a broadcaster- I'm sure he's only on the station to keep the Clips of the Week quota high.

He was reasonably okay on Radio 5 for years. Does Talksport make their presenters adopt there strange personalities?
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Caught 10 mins of Micky Quinn yesterday. If my experience is anything to go by he is doing the nation a great service. After listening to his laughably one sided defence of Rafa Benitez i was up, out of bed and ready to wash the car. He is a one-man alarm system.

On the plus side i finally did a deal with the IT dept at work this week and got the latest updates to my computer which mean i can now stream radio again. It will be interesting to see which parts of Talksport i actually want to listen to again. I was thinking about it and the truth is that during the day i really only have an interest in H&J.

Im an illustration of how far things have fallen.

half an hour of Brazil in the morning before i get up is plenty so no need to hear any more until 10 am.

Keys and Gray are like nails on a blackboard

H&J - yeah, thats fine.

Durham - half an hour of him is fine once i get home.

The truth is that all i really have an interest in is H&J if its convenient to listen to, a quick burst of Durham to see what the pointless argument is and then a listen to the 7pm slot as thats the best thing on the station.

Changed days indeed. 4 years ago i spend almost a year off work with an undiagnosed back problem and Talksport was an integral part of my week back then.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This guy has seriously gone downhill as a broadcaster- I'm sure he's only on the station to keep the Clips of the Week quota high.

He was a spiteful nasty xenophobe on 5live .
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Caught 10 mins of Micky Quinn yesterday. If my experience is anything to go by he is doing the nation a great service. After listening to his laughably one sided defence of Rafa Benitez i was up, out of bed and ready to wash the car. He is a one-man alarm system.

On the plus side i finally did a deal with the IT dept at work this week and got the latest updates to my computer which mean i can now stream radio again. It will be interesting to see which parts of Talksport i actually want to listen to again. I was thinking about it and the truth is that during the day i really only have an interest in H&J.

Im an illustration of how far things have fallen.

half an hour of Brazil in the morning before i get up is plenty so no need to hear any more until 10 am.

Keys and Gray are like nails on a blackboard

H&J - yeah, thats fine.

Durham - half an hour of him is fine once i get home.

The truth is that all i really have an interest in is H&J if its convenient to listen to, a quick burst of Durham to see what the pointless argument is and then a listen to the 7pm slot as thats the best thing on the station.

Changed days indeed. 4 years ago i spend almost a year off work with an undiagnosed back problem and Talksport was an integral part of my week back then.

It's amazing how so many people can see the massive faults at talkSPORT but the radio station's management cannot, don't they ever listen to it themselves?, don't they ever visit the public internet forums and see the endless messages of disapproval?, are they all so brainwashed by how much money they are making they are oblivious to how bad it has become?.

I think they surely must know the score but because the profits are so good they won't change anything, what's needed is a proper headcount of whose actually tuning in and actually staying tuned in, not the current joke system where a listener tuning in and tuning straight back out is tallied up as a listener. Then they might see a genuine listener count which I strongly suspect is dropping in figures drastically as more and more people become totally pi$$ed off by this station.

I think you've said it before C7, I know I have, and I know scores of others have too, that it COULD so easily be all put right with a few very obvious changes to the presenter line-up and not so much blanket coverage of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Spurs.

Please please somebody out there start up a rival national sports station that goes non-sport after 10pm through the night until 6.00am. In fact I'd like it even better if current affairs started at 10pm through to 10am the next day then it's an equal split and radio for everybody who likes sport or not with good new presenters, see the female listeners flock back then, in fact see EVERYONE flock back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    It's amazing how so many people can see the massive faults at talkSPORT but the radio station's management cannot, don't they ever listen to it themselves?, don't they ever visit the public internet forums and see the endless messages of disapproval?, are they all so brainwashed by how much money they are making they are oblivious to how bad it has become?.

I think they surely must know the score but because the profits are so good they won't change anything, what's needed is a proper headcount of whose actually tuning in and actually staying tuned in, not the current joke system where a listener tuning in and tuning straight back out is tallied up as a listener. Then they might see a genuine listener count which I strongly suspect is dropping in figures drastically as more and more people become totally pi$$ed off by this station.

I think you've said it before C7, I know I have, and I know scores of others have too, that it COULD so easily be all put right with a few very obvious changes to the presenter line-up and not so much blanket coverage of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Spurs.

Please please somebody out there start up a rival national sports station that goes non-sport after 10pm through the night until 6.00am. In fact I'd like it even better if current affairs started at 10pm through to 10am the next day then it's an equal split and radio for everybody who likes sport or not with good new presenters, see the female listeners flock back then, in fact see EVERYONE flock back.

I think the obvious change is putting Kelly on breakfast. That said i like him at 7pm too. Break the bank, get Danny Baker and put him on the 7pm slot.Or put them together as ive said before.

Id have Jeremy Kyle in the 10-1 slot. Just a thought. The man on radio and the man on tv are two different people. I see why Talksport cant complete with the TV money though.

H&J can stay as they are.

Lets try Durham with Brazil, now that i have replaced Brazil on the breakfast show. People hate Brazil - they will phone in. Durham can tone it down a bit but still fall out with him on any given issue.

I know 100% why the above will neither happen nor work but it would be fun, wouldnt it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member

The BBC (and the ability of the public to complain and have something done if necessary) kept the buffoon in check.

That's why he seems to have gone downhill. His true character was always there, just managed.
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe so, but the "Little Englander" really comes out on TalkSport.

Why can't Danny Kelly do Kick-Off every night?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I assume its down to money?

The man is head and shoulders above anyone else on the station.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member

EVERY show on TS would be improved hugely if Danny Kelly presented it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I assume its down to money?

The man is head and shoulders above anyone else on the station.

I wouldnt imagine he would cost more than Al, or K&G
  • Options
    Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I wouldnt imagine he would cost more than Al, or K&G
    I think that Kelly is a very wealthy man in his own right. He made a fortune in the dot com bubble a decade or so ago. I think he cashed in before it popped.
    Whether he still has that wealth, I'm not sure.

Billy is right in that the most important figure is the one on the balance sheet, & rightly so as they are a PLC & making money for their bosses & their shareholders are specifically what they are there to do.
    However as their income is based on ad revenue, their charges for ad space are based on listening figures & the way they are collated is controversial to say he least.

Until there is a system that isn't dependent on listening habits of the nineteen seventies is introduced , I guess the true listening figures will never be really exposed to a sceptical listenership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Win double for Talksport today.

Two of their favourite targets. If Spurs win, they can lay into Wenger/Arsenal. If Arsenal win, they can lay into AVB. If it's a draw, then it will be a plague on both their houses.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy999 wrote: »
    Win double for Talksport today.

Two of their favourite targets. If Spurs win, they can lay into Wenger/Arsenal. If Arsenal win, they can lay into AVB. If it's a draw, then it will be a plague on both their houses.

LOL!!!

Good one.:D

Even though I'm not a Gooner, I've considered rooting for Arsenal to win their games (except against Manchester United of course) just so that I can have the option to listen to TS, because the station morphs into Arsenal1089 (sorry Billy244 for nicking your line:o) for 72 hours post an Arsenal defeat & Wenger is disected ad infinitum (again).:mad:

Like you have said, they do have Villas-Boas on the subs bench though, so it looks like TS is off limits potential until Wednesday!!!
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let the Arsene Wengerthon begin in earnest!:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Call Stewart Robson! :eek:
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy999 wrote: »
    Call Stewart Robson! :eek:

No worries Jeremy they already have:D

Who would have thought it possible to make a career out of bad-mouthing; mean spiritedness and half-truths? Robson seems to relish it and no doubt is being paid handsomely:( He is of course entitled to his opinion, it is the way he goes about it that gets my goat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Venetian wrote: »
    No worries Jeremy they already have:D

Who would have thought it possible to make a career out of bad-mouthing; mean spiritedness and half-truths? Robson seems to relish it and no doubt is being paid handsomely:( He is of course entitled to his opinion, it is the way he goes about it that gets my goat.

Oh, f.....lip! :)

That's what gets me about him too. His whole raison d'etre seems to be that "bad-mouthing; mean spiritedness and half-truths" as you rightly say - at least as far as Wenger/Arsenal are concerned.

It's not exactly inspiring. :(
  • Options
    RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren gough talking rubbish arsenal can win the title get a life you sad ****.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    Darren gough talking rubbish arsenal can win the title get a life you sad ****.
    Did he actually say what title? :D
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Nope. He said that they're about five good players away from challenging for the title, which, incidentally, is about right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adrian durham love in for REDKNAPP is becoming boring.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Nope. He said that they're about five good players away from challenging for the title, which, incidentally, is about right.
    So are about half the Premiership. He's really sticking his neck out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He said something along the lines of 'buy 3 players and they will be fighting for the title for the next 5 years, buy 5 players and they'll be fighting for the title for the next 15 years'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adrian Durham and darren gough axe them.Get real footballers in to talk about sport these two never been a professional football player you cannot trust journalists.Adrian Durham does not know what he talking about and the media love in for Harry REDKNAPP is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gough doesn't think before he speaks, just this afternoon he was banging on about Spurs doing well despite only having 2 strikers (JD and EA), Adrian mentioned Bale but Gough insisted he didn't count as he is a midfielder, Adrian asked him about Chelsea only having Torres and Ba to which he replied that they have Mata and Hazard as well!
This discussion has been closed.