Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    The policeman looks like a tramp, and hasn't shaved for days, and the policewoman is just far too emotional for her job. Are we supposed to accept them as genuine members of the force?

I did think David Tennant's character would have smartened himself up more for the press conference and the tv appearance.

I suspect Olivia Colman's character's husband is the killer.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generic accents in programs are noticable alot of the time. Brenda Blethyn doing Vera. Julie Graham doing a Stan Boardman generic Scouse accent in that BBC thing with Sue Johnston.
    I kind of liked BroadChurch but it was slow and seemed cliched. Plus the moody music and Bionic Woman style slo mo when mother was trotting through the traffic amongst other things didn't help.
    I think alot of the time the problem with ITV dramas is the ad breaks spoiling the flow.

I will give it the benefit of the doubt and watch next week.

Yeah, there is something quite same old, same old about. If it's trying to draw on The Killing re: looking at the effects of the tragedy, it didn't get me hooked in the same way as The Killing did. Still, it's early days, and I echo and share the same sentiments: I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch next week ... if I can remember to:o
  • Options
    Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    filming locations for this also include clevedon in bristol and portished aswell ,i think i was good ill certainly keep watching, i have also been watching mayday which i also think has been ok so far
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I suspect Olivia Colman's character's husband is the killer.

That did cross my mind at the very end. Maybe he and the son know something or the son knows that his dad is the killer? He didn't look very shocked when Ellie told him Danny was dead...like he already knew!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Kudos in need of a new hit after the 'flops' of The Hour and Eternal Law. Don't think this will be it. Slow, slow, slow. Filmed like a Lenor commercial, boring dialogue and 'look at me, I'm acting' acting.

The policewoman gets the blame for releasing the name of the victim. But within five minutes the whole town would have know anyway who it was and anyone could have posted it on twitter anyway. Unrealistic. David Tennant's policeman looked like a tramp. He could have had a shave before the press conference. Again, unrealistic.

7 more parts to this. It will be like pulling teeth. Ch5 and Robson Green for me next week.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I want to know what Tennants characters did before. What the national journalist knows about it, and why did she nick that soft toy? Seemed a really random and weird thing to do.

Also, the female policewoman- she knows her son has a computer and phone, the whole town has been talking about this dead boy all day and yet she (and her husband) assume he doesn't know about his friend? Seemed really odd to me.

I also didn't like the portrayal of female officer. Assuming that she'd get the job because she's female, being really indignant because the person that did get it was 'a man'. Imagine if that scenario was reversed, he'd look like a right sexist b******. And she was too emotional, I undersatnd why but I'm also a bit puzzled as to why she's working on the case, being a family friend it doesn't seem very appropriate. But no doubt, that will be handy to the plot in time.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it. And I'm intrigued enough to keep watching to find out what happens next.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    That's good, because it's not on tomorrow.

well come next week then..IT will be forgotten about.:yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was great to see Simon Rouse again (Jack Meadows in The Bill). Hopefully we'll see lots more of him.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I also didn't like the portrayal of female officer. Assuming that she'd get the job because she's female, being really indignant because the person that did get it was 'a man'. Imagine if that scenario was reversed, he'd look like a right sexist b******.
    I got the impression from what she said, that her boss had told her before she went on leave that she was going to get the job because they needed a woman in the post.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I thought it was good but not brilliant, will stick with it though as I like the cast, although I think Olivia Colman is one of the best actors we have right now, I didn't think she was at her best in this role. David Tennant was great though, I sometimes let how annoying his fans are affect my judgement of him so I don't always rate him.

This will no doubt be a hit (cue a very smug Ratings Thread ;)), if I loved it (like I did The Town and The Scapegoat) it would no doubt flop, but since I only liked it it's safe :D.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ToffeeGuy wrote: »
    Kudos in need of a new hit after the 'flops' of The Hour and Eternal Law. Don't think this will be it. Slow, slow, slow. Filmed like a Lenor commercial, boring dialogue and 'look at me, I'm acting' acting.

The policewoman gets the blame for releasing the name of the victim. But within five minutes the whole town would have know anyway who it was and anyone could have posted it on twitter anyway. Unrealistic. David Tennant's policeman looked like a tramp. He could have had a shave before the press conference. Again, unrealistic.

7 more parts to this. It will be like pulling teeth. Ch5 and Robson Green for me next week.

SEVEN more parts:eek: I was counting on three tops!!! I can cope with three - it has an intrigue but not a strong one. Not enough to pull off EIGHT parts!!!!!

This Robson Green thing - is it the fishing? He seems a nice guy but its his bottom I'm a fan of ever since Being Human.....I presume he doesn't get it out much fishing?
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    I got the impression from what she said, that her boss had told her before she went on leave that she was going to get the job because they needed a woman in the post.

Yeah, you're probably right, but in some ways that makes it worse, like she expected to get the role, not on merit, but because she's female. I'm probably overreacting, but it jarred with me somehow.

It was a bit like so many other portrayals of female officers that we've seen before. I was waiting for her to carry a large basket of ironing in one scene and telling her babysitter she was 'going to be late because she was working on a big case' in another. We got the second, only it was her telling her husband. Hopefully the character will turn out to be more than the cliché standard female tv cop, because it's a good performance.
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was ok with this. I think after sitting through Mayday, which was very painful and slow, although this was slow, it still seemed to have got a lot further than Mayday had in two episodes!

Quite looking forward to next weeks, interested to see what's going on. Not quite sure how they're going to spread it over another 7 episodes though.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olivia Coleman and David Tennant (I'm a fan of her, but not him) are the only decent actors in this. The bereaved mother is terrible - all anguished face but not a single tear shed. The bereaved father is emotionless. The bereaved sister and grandmother similarly bad.
    The lad playing Olivia Coleman's son was terrible. If he has a big part to play in the storyline I hope he improves.

The mum WAS actually crying, I saw a real tear (not that stuff they put under their eyes). Agree the boy playing the son couldn't manage much emotion, but maybe that's part of the plot? Also people handle grief in different ways, let's give it another week or two.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    It was great to see Simon Rouse again (Jack Meadows in The Bill). Hopefully we'll see lots more of him.

I saw lots more of him a couple of weeks ago in The Full Monty :D;)
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Well I thought it was excellent. I felt the pace was fine and well-suited. It didn't drag for me at all. Absolutely love Olivia Colman, she's easily the best thing in this. I'm guessing the chronology will be each episode spanning one day a la The Killing? Lots to keep me watching anyway. And I couldn't believe that the reporter was Vicky McClure! I didn't recognise her at all. Great actress, hopefully more to come from her as well.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Olivia Coleman and David Tennant (I'm a fan of her, but not him) are the only decent actors in this. The bereaved mother is terrible - all anguished face but not a single tear shed. The bereaved father is emotionless. The bereaved sister and grandmother similarly bad.

I think that's a harsh critique. Tears come easily to some people and with difficulty for others, especially in traumatic, shocking circumstances. I hate when actors are over-emoting in close-ups and their eyes aren't even wet
    The last, best crying on TV that I saw was Derek Jacobi's daughter in Last Tango to Halifax. That looked like real snotty-nosed cryng.

I accepted that this mother was in such shock that the tears weren't coming, yet.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    I was ok with this. I think after sitting through Mayday, which was very painful and slow, although this was slow, it still seemed to have got a lot further than Mayday had in two episodes!

Quite looking forward to next weeks, interested to see what's going on. Not quite sure how they're going to spread it over another 7 episodes though.

I watched five mins of Mayday on Sunday and couldnt stick with it, was too everyone is a suspect cliche.

This was much more promising. Also nothing wrong with things being slow!
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ToffeeGuy wrote: »

Explain how The Hour which had 2 series before it was axed a flop exactly? i would not say it was a flop as it managed to get fairly good ratings for a BBC 2 drama, it just could not keep the good ratings for the 2nd series and a lot of people wanted a 3rd before it was axed tbh.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dorset accents were awful!!
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I thought it was Cornish till I looked it up :D

As did I!

I did laugh when one of the characters mentioned "Twi'urr".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched five mins of Mayday on Sunday and couldnt stick with it, was too everyone is a suspect cliche.

This was much more promising. Also nothing wrong with things being slow!

I don't either. I'm fine with slow if it stays interesting and I think Broadchurch managed to do that. Mayday on the other hand, painfully slow and so spoon fed, with the never ending sinister looks, all round suspect characters and spooky trees, I dunno how many times I was thinking (between trying not to doze off!) just get on with it. Didn't think that about Broadchurch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    As did I!

I did laugh when one of the characters mentioned "Twi'urr".
    It did seem the accents started off really strong, then seemed to fade a bit??? Or was that just me getting used to them?
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Explain how The Hour which had 2 series before it was axed a flop exactly? i would not say it was a flop as it managed to get fairly good ratings for a BBC 2 drama, it just could not keep the good ratings for the 2nd series and a lot of people wanted a 3rd before it was axed tbh.

I loved The Hour!
This discussion has been closed.