Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,227
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    LBC have never really embraced diversity in their presenting staff, in fact I think about 2 thirds to one quarter of it's current presenters are white, middle-aged, middle class, right-wing males.

Throughout it's history I can only recall 2 black presenters: Syd Burke who presented a weekend show which covered issues that were focussed on the London Caribbean community and Trevor MacDonald who presented an afternoon news phone in when the station was own by ITN.

I can only recall 2 mixed race presenters: Adrian Love who presented Nighline in the 1980s and Nick Conrad who presented a Saturday afternoon show a few years ago. I can recall 3 Asian presenters: Sharma Pereira who presented the weekend breakfast show in the 1980s, Tre Azam who briefly presented in the noughties and Suresh Joshi who presented Geet Mala in the 1980s.

Krishnan Guru Murphy (Channel 4 News) used to present Sunday Breakfast for a few years following the Chrysalis takeover in 2003.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry GS it must just be me but I did not understand a word on that page you linked to.

With the exception of the Iain Dale tweet.......

"Iain Dale @IainDale

Just got into the car and heard my Drive promo for the first time. And then a real hype up from @iancollinsuk! No pressure then!"

As Iain Dale said last week, Big Shoes to fill and I will certainly give him a chance on the drivetime slot. Though I do feel that his 'political talents' will be wasted on a 16.00 to 20.00 hrs time slot. Though time will tell.
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently listening through RadioPlayer.

Thanks, Martin. I too am referring to RadioPlayer but it seems to be working now. Perplexed as to why it would have dropped for some but not others, though. :confused:
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry GS it must just be me but I did not understand a word on that page you linked to.

Me neither. I was just trying to tune in to the ethnic vibe that some think is missing on LBC! ;):D

Doesn't anybody remember the lovely Phil Gayle, who did a lot of subbing a few years ago? Perhaps his Brummie accent didn't fit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Me neither. I was just trying to tune in to the ethnic vibe that some think is missing on LBC! ;):D

"Ethnic vibe"? WTF?
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,073
    Forum Member
    I think Cristo is on a major wind up when it comes to religion and the issue of how religions do not allow gay relationships.

I think he is boyed by the support of the Government on the issue of gay marriage and is as good as teasing, almost trying to provoke people of religion and I think he is hoping to wind people of religion up enough so he can label them as homophobes (and I don't think he is alone on this in general either) and he has done this a number of times over the last few months and he was at it again earlier today by going on about the cardinal situation.

I think he and anyone with half a brain knows what the situation is with the cardinal and other priests but he is just avoiding the baltant obvious.

I think that with the celebacy rule in place, some people in the catholic church are getting so sexually
    frustrated that they are going for anything that moves and I am not condoning that at all but I think it is the blatant obvious thing that is the case that Cristo is avoiding.

I also think that Cristo is thinking that the cardinal is out and out gay and Cristo again imo, was taking a lot of glee from that where I suspect the cardinal probably isn't out and out gay at all but was doing what I outlined above.

Critso should give it a rest. He might not like the rules that are in religions on this but its not going to change, not unless people want to make a right mockery of the fact that they are supposed to be following what their god has written/ordered.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been out all day. However, I can confirm at the time of typing that LBC is available (in London) on FM, online and DAB.

If it is any consolation sometimes I am listening online and the signal seems to disappear. I normally find switching off and switching on the router helps (!!), or try tuning the RadioPlayer to another station and then back again. I have always thought it was more my PC than the broadcast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it means that they couldn't afford Adam Afriyie. Given the editorial direction, he's the only black man they'd have at the moment. I'd think they'd try and spin it as balance against a 'left wing' Nick Clegg.

You ask a good question.

Adam the Tory boy done good from Peckham now of

Windsor might do it but be prepared for his support of IDS.I

picked him up in the cab and he was droning on about him.

Adam wears a nice expensive suit and nice cologne.

An old Etonian is convinced he could be the saviour if

DC is deposed..But he sure ain't Obama!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adrian Love used to present on LBC.
    Can't think of any others.
    This might be an age thing - but I find it very difficult to listen to foreign accents on the radio. I have great trouble understanding callers who have an accent - whatever colour it is!
    If they don't have an accent, I don't care what colour the face is.

Er...many people of colour have London accents as were

born here? I know a few presenters on BBC London might

have a different tone but it's surely not a Geordie one?

The Mirror guy Kevin ? had a pronounced accent when he

was suffering Andrew Pierce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Was that our Jonnie on the radio, just then?

I try very hard to be calm but end up with a predictable

rant:mad:

The last time i spoke to NF i was going to be low key but as

usual i started to raise my voice and talk over him:o

Maybe i know i will be cut off so rush things...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iain Dale wanted to be an MP a few years ago so might be

interesting if he has another go at some point.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure that's true, to be honest. One of the criticisms O'Brien gets is due to the way he repeatedly bangs on about his schooling (and his being a father &c).

Perhaps it's something to take into consideration given the amount of coverage immigration &c gets on the station. How London, especially, has seen it's demographics change completely since Nu Labour wot dun it an' dun it bad. You'd think that, if whole areas of London now are full of black and brown faces, LBC would want to exploit that - if only for commercial reasons. If there are areas of London that are now predominantly non-white, you have to wonder how and why, out of all those people, media-land decides so very few of these non-white people don't quite cut it for TV and radio.

I doubt the argument about being 'well-informed and articulate' really stands. It doesn't seem to be especially important to some of the current presenters!

I only raised the point as i do find it interesting that LBC

have not made an effort to find one person of colour in

2013,and i know positive discrimination is outdated and

patronising,it would none the less been a move in the

right direction.And i would not care what politcs the person

has because sometimes it's taken for granted that ethnics

will always be left wing and certainly Labour,but things

have changed.It's similar to my gripe of the reporting all

the media has when saying 'black community' 'gay

community' or 'whatever you want to call us community '

I actually think with London's diverse way of living would

have benefited but hey,maybe the person chosen might

be stereotyped and ineffective.Or perhaps working for LBC

is not such a great job?.:confused:...Unless you are doing

security/driver....Ouch..joking..:D
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White presenters have accents too, for example Susan Bookbinder. I don't know why you would necessarily associate a person of colour as having an accent because many were born in London but maybe you have a problem with the London accent too?

I don't. I thought I'd made that clear.
    I only mentioned colour because it was brought up by the original poster.
    I guess I should have said that I have trouble with SOME accents. I don't have a problem with Susan Bookbinder - especially now that she doesn't seem to shout as loud as she used to. As for London accents..... I didn't know that there was such a thing but then I've lived in London all my life so I wouldn't notice it, would I?
  • Options
    lincolnmedialincolnmedia Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    You mean she was the daughter of an independent businessman who went to Oxford.

She wasn't privately educated, which was the insinuation.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't deny his private education but does give the impression that he isn't grateful for it, and generally mentions it in connection with negative topics such as bullying. I get the feeling he'd be far more comfortable if he could boast about being an alumnus of Kidderminster Secondary Mod.

Shouldn't that be Kidderminster Comprehensive. I think Secondary Modern was a bit before his time.
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only raised the point as i do find it interesting that LBC

have not made an effort to find one person of colour in

2013,and i know positive discrimination is outdated and

patronising,it would none the less been a move in the

right direction.And i would not care what politcs the person

has because sometimes it's taken for granted that ethnics

will always be left wing and certainly Labour,but things

have changed.It's similar to my gripe of the reporting all

the media has when saying 'black community' 'gay

community' or 'whatever you want to call us community '

I actually think with London's diverse way of living would

have benefited but hey,maybe the person chosen might

be stereotyped and ineffective.Or perhaps working for LBC

is not such a great job?.:confused:...Unless you are doing

security/driver....Ouch..joking..:D

Is this a poem?
    I don't. I thought I'd made that clear.
    I only mentioned colour because it was brought up by the original poster.
    I guess I should have said that I have trouble with SOME accents. I don't have a problem with Susan Bookbinder - especially now that she doesn't seem to shout as loud as she used to. As for London accents..... I didn't know that there was such a thing but then I've lived in London all my life so I wouldn't notice it, would I?

Which just goes to prove that all accents are relative.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which just goes to prove that all accents are relative.

I don't recall anybody ever suggesting that they weren't!
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only raised the point as i do find it interesting that LBC have not made an effort to find one person of colour in 2013

Jonnie. You never mentioned previously that you worked for Global and are aware of who they have considered for jobs.

Are any of the newsreaders "of colour" ?
  • Options
    guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Martin. I too am referring to RadioPlayer but it seems to be working now. Perplexed as to why it would have dropped for some but not others, though. :confused:

It died shortly after 11am here in Sussex.
    Meant I had to postpone painting the dining room for an hour or two.

:p
  • Options
    guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J O'B was privately educated but tries to act as though he wasn't. What does it matter? Surely the criteria for a presenter is for them to be well-informed and articulate.

There aren't many days when he doesn't mention that he went to Ampleforth.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LBC have never really embraced diversity in their presenting staff, in fact I think about 2 thirds to one quarter of it's current presenters are white, middle-aged, middle class, right-wing males.

Throughout it's history I can only recall 2 black presenters: Syd Burke who presented a weekend show which covered issues that were focussed on the London Caribbean community and Trevor MacDonald who presented an afternoon news phone in when the station was own by ITN.

I can only recall 2 mixed race presenters: Adrian Love who presented Nighline in the 1980s and Nick Conrad who presented a Saturday afternoon show a few years ago. I can recall 3 Asian presenters: Sharma Pereira who presented the weekend breakfast show in the 1980s, Tre Azam who briefly presented in the noughties and Suresh Joshi who presented Geet Mala in the 1980s.

I remember Angie Greaves sitting in for Sandi Toksvig many moons ago.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tre Azam who briefly presented in the noughties

Didn't Tre present the short lived Yoof show on Saturdays under Global? Nick Conrad then replaced him.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't. As for London accents..... I didn't know that there was such a thing but then I've lived in London all my life so I wouldn't notice it, would I?

You didn't know there was such a thing? How could you not? Every region and city has accents. I find the idea that you can't hear an accent because you live there quite bizarre. Of course you'd notice, no matter how long you've lived here. How do the people sounds in shops, on buses, in the street, in pubs, on Eastenders? Those are London accents. Record yourself speaking, that's a London accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonnie. You never mentioned previously that you worked for Global and are aware of who they have considered for jobs.

Are any of the newsreaders "of colour" ?

Maybe i either typed something incorrect? Worked for

Global? Nope...Or is this is sarcasm? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.