Options

Ideas for steak sandwich

lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have some thin beef steaks from M&S and I am gonna use them for steak sandwiches tomorrow.
I will get a small baguette and use half for me and half for my boyfriend.
I usually put some cheddar on the open baguette, toast in the oven to melt the cheese then add fried onions (raw for me as it's healthier) and some mustard along with the steaks.
How would you build the sandwich?
My boyfriend is quite fussy and won't eat blue cheese for example, which I used in the past in my baguette, just cheddar... the other day I cooked some pasta and used some pecorino on it and he said it smelled like sick :eek:.
I was thinking of using some relish (I tried onion relish before) or different sauce that compliments the beef steaks. Any suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the same track as the relish, how about a sweet chilli sauce?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    I have some thin beef steaks from M&S and I am gonna use them for steak sandwiches tomorrow.
    I will get a small baguette and use half for me and half for my boyfriend.
    I usually put some cheddar on the open baguette, toast in the oven to melt the cheese then add fried onions (raw for me as it's healthier) and some mustard along with the steaks.
    How would you build the sandwich?
    My boyfriend is quite fussy and won't eat blue cheese for example, which I used in the past in my baguette, just cheddar... the other day I cooked some pasta and used some pecorino on it and he said it smelled like sick :eek:.
    I was thinking of using some relish (I tried onion relish before) or different sauce that compliments the beef steaks. Any suggestion?

No offence, but if you're having a baguette with cheese and steak, non fried onions really won't make it that much healthier:D

As for accompaniments, mushrooms work well, as does some Dijon mustard, or horseradish mayo. You could try caramelising some garlic cloves to spread over the bread also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    No offence, but if you're having a baguette with cheese and steak, non fried onions really won't make it that much healthier:D

They are insisting on cheese too, whether its blue cheese, cheddar or pecorino :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are insisting on cheese too, whether its blue cheese, cheddar or pecorino :D

Haha yes, I love cheese :p... as for the fried onions, I know cheese and steak already have lots of calories but it makes me feel better knowing I am not having even more :D
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Sautéed mushrooms & onions and pepperjack cheese.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Nice and simple, Steak, caramelised onion marmalade/chutney and rocket and then mix a bit of wholegrain mustard with mayo and and add this on for the spread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this what your bloke gets for his lunch sandwiches at work?

You treat him well dont you! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyccm wrote: »
    Nice and simple, Steak, caramelised onion marmalade/chutney and rocket and then mix a bit of wholegrain mustard with mayo and and add this on for the spread

This is a good idea, I have rocket to use up in fact.

:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think my wife must be broken - I've had to make my own sarnies for the last 14 years :p
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,853
    Forum Member
    Instead of butter (on the bread/crusty baguette) I like to mash a ripe avocado into some mayonnaise. Add the steak along with rocket leaves and some sun blush tomatoes or fresh chopped cherry tomatoes (have more flavour than standard sized tomatoes).
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a) don't bother with sauce. steak cheese onions maybe a bit of colmans or ketchup. plenty

b) parmesan and similar cheese does smell like sick.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't like standard steak in a steak sandwich. Possibly thinly sliced fillet.

What you can do is goto the butchers and ask them to slice ribeye for you. You want it like thick bacon.
    You can then quickly fry it. Use a spatula or other utensil to break it up. You can also add stock and cover it to steam it slightly.

If you watch Man v Food or similar shows then it's how some of the restaurants/diners do philly cheesesteaks.

For the cheese there are many sliced varieties available in supermarkets. You could use mozzarella but if you want more flavour then you could go for emmenthal or gouda.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/apK_8VAH57v5R3PACDI4F9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hwt0vDKL7D-MD0K72kKQ4tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
    On that one the base was rocket, then the beef, then a marinara sauce topped with a melted cheese sauce.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

What you can do is goto the butchers and ask them to slice ribeye for you. You want it like thick bacon.
    You can then quickly fry it. Use a spatula or other utensil to break it up. You can also add stock and cover it to steam it slightly.

If you watch Man v Food or similar shows then it's how some of the restaurants/diners do philly cheesesteaks.

For the cheese there are many sliced varieties available in supermarkets. You could use mozzarella but if you want more flavour then you could go for emmenthal or gouda.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/apK_8VAH57v5R3PACDI4F9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hwt0vDKL7D-MD0K72kKQ4tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
    On that one the base was rocket, then the beef, then a marinara sauce topped with a melted cheese sauce.

that looks good and pretty much what I would do.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steak and creamed horseradish sauce, simples :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I had these M&S steaks to use so I made do with them. They were very thin.
    I ended up using caramelised red onion chutney (first time I used it and I really liked it), medium cheddar (boyfriend only likes medium cheddar), wholegrain mustard and rocket.
    Steaks were ok, not as nice as thin sirloin steaks but not chewy.
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions :)
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you just put the steak in the baguette? Why do you need a load of fancy stuff?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you just put the steak in the baguette? Why do you need a load of fancy stuff?

It would be boring for a dinner.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sauteed sliced mushrooms covered with some melted stilton.

A few nachos and some really nice coleslaw on the side with a bit of salad to garnish.

Divine!
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,274
    Forum Member
    I'm more of a meat man than a bread man. Hence, my favourite steak sandwich is a whole chateaubriand between two Ritz crackers.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    I'm more of a meat man than a bread man. Hence, my favourite steak sandwich is a whole chateaubriand between two Ritz crackers.

A T-bone Steak batch (roll) takes some beating.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    A T-bone Steak batch (roll) takes some beating.

How do you not bite into the bone? If the meat is taken off the bone and put on a sandwich then it's no-longer a T-bone!