Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As last week. Just a friday appearance .

10 days out of 42. 24%

Ahh but did manage to fit in making a doc for "this week" so wouldn't be able to squeeze in actually commuting to work..... :rolleyes: :D

Bump club? Colin Murray and Edith bowman? I know they said they want to appeal to less male demographic but give me strength .....on the scale of crap ideas it's a 10.....
    Will this really pull in female listeners? Bloody hell...... :o
  • Options
    guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Bump club? Colin Murray and Edith bowman? I know they said they want to appeal to less male demographic but give me strength .....on the scale of crap ideas it's a 10.....
    Will this really pull in female listeners? Bloody hell...... :o

Big mistake if they think it will, especially if they continue to present it in such a cutsie, patronising way.

It's even wormed its way into Livesey's late night slot.
    Isn't this something Lorraine usually deals with on the telly?

I think they ought to leave it there.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know any beliebers? If so, tell them to tune into 5 Live, because Stephen Nolan is doing a phone in about him. Seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Do you know any beliebers? If so, tell them to tune into 5 Live, because Stephen Nolan is doing a phone in about him. Seriously.

Is it April the 1st already????? Boris on a bike! this is truly dreadful....... :eek:
    is this really what the new controller has in store? Bump club & beliebers??? Do many 12 year olds tune into Nolan on a Friday night then......???
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it April the 1st already????? Boris on a bike! this is truly dreadful....... :eek:
    is this really what the new controller has in store? Bump club & beliebers??? Do many 12 year olds tune into Nolan on a Friday night then......???
    It sounds like a total nightmare! Thankfully I don't listen on a weekend night but this sounds truly dreadful.
  • Options
    fox on the runfox on the run Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Bump Club - fair enough on a Sunday morning but shouldn't be part of the weekday evening show.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie Oldroyd on the breakfast show replying to Phil Williams' question whether her kids had got Bieber tickets
    "Don't be daft , my kids have been brought up properly:D
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my quest to find some decent speech radio this morning, I tuned into Radio 4 only to find a presenter gushing and slobbering over the appearance of our good friend and 5lives particularly strange current love in with..... '.pretty boy.'.Robbie Savage.

The obsession the BBC has with this chap is becoming quite disturbing.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    This Bump Club feature is a load of rubbish. I'm not sure who dreamt up the gimmick but it's enough to get me switching off the radio every time I hear 5Live talking about it.

Oh look. A load of criticism for a show which hasn't aired yet.

Very informed.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this really what the new controller has in store? Bump club & beliebers???

That's why Wall got the gig as controller.

You can imagine his job interview ........

Overpaid BBC Bossman........' Mr.Wall ? Do you believe that 5Live listeners are as thick as pigsh*t and have no intelligence whatsoever ?

J.Wall.........' Why of course I do ! '

Overpaid BBC Bossman ' That's all we needed to hear.We won't keep you any longer.The job is yours.Good luck old chum !Can you do something about that John Pienaar programme on Sunday evenings ? It is far too educated for 5Live listeners.We want more of pretty boy Robbie Savage ! .....'

Never mind , I hear some BBC journo staff might be going on strike yet again due to ' stress and over work ' and we might just get some actual plain good old news stories, presented by the usual excellent stand in's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be curious to know if Bump Club was commissioned by AVK or Jonathan Wall?

“I want to wake up every day knowing we are delivering live radio that you don’t hear anywhere else in the UK.” I think it is safe to say Jonathon you won’t hear Bump Club anywhere else in the UK.

It's all about providing work for your friends who run production companies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very informed.
    I beg your pardon? Aren't I allowed to voice an opinion? This is a thread about 5 Live and I was making a comment about a feature that has been heavily promoted on the station.

Why are you always pulling people up about making comments about 5 Live? I always though you were a very informative poster but in this thread you've done nothing but pull people up for posting things you don't agree with. Do you work for 5 Live or the BBC? You're like a one man 5 Live PR machine in this thread. I don't notice you pulling people up in other threads to do with other stations.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, isn't it fun? I've already sent away for my Bump Club T-shirt. Can't wait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I beg your pardon? Aren't I allowed to voice an opinion? This is a thread about 5 Live and I was making a comment about a feature that has been heavily promoted on the station.

Why are you always pulling people up about making comments about 5 Live? I always though you were a very informative poster but in this thread you've done nothing but pull people up for posting things you don't agree with. Do you work for 5 Live or the BBC? You're like a one man 5 Live PR machine in this thread. I don't notice you pulling people up in other threads to do with other stations.

I quite agree with Cyril and Robbie -

I've said that to mapperley on many occasions as his/her default setting is simply defend 5live no matter what as an unappointed BBC spin doctor...
    ...as there seem to be a lot of disaffected listeners on this thread there will be negatives like it or lump it...& suggested that he/she creates a totally pro 5live thread somewhere else where they'll all be very happy singing the beeb's praises

You are quite entitled to comment ....as while I only caught the part of it before livesey we've already had a sample of what bump club will be like & for me it was dire...

.i wouldn't have been remotely interested in it before children .....and even if we hadn't heard part of it we're also free to baulk at the concept itself.....at least they could stick it on VD' s show so most of us won't be subjected to it......
    Mind you if livesey involved and the others she may have to be in Salford & that won't do will it..... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see. So it's OK for you to comment and slate me for offering an alternative point of view, but when I do it it's some kind of crime.

My point is that this feature hasn't even aired yet and people are already making judgements on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all about providing work for your friends who run production companies.

Some evidence of that then? Or just another ill informed lie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't notice you pulling people up in other threads to do with other stations.

Then you're clearly not following various threads about Gem 106, Capital, Smooth and Real - where I frequently challenge other people in discussions about other stations.
  • Options
    mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite agree with Cyril and Robbie -

I've said that to mapperley on many occasions as his/her default setting is simply defend 5live no matter what as an unappointed BBC spin doctor...

I don't know whether Mapperley works at the BBC but this forum does need people that actually work in the media to counter some of the simply bananas ideas and theories that come out of the mouths of the anoraks.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member

Very informed.

Mapperley, It started last Tuesday on the Livesey show. The poster is obviously well informed, perhaps you are not.

The other posters are quite correct in my view. It is dire. I gave it 5 minutes and switched off. More suited to Woman's Hour (if that's still running). Whilst most people love their children, there is nothing more boring than other peoples kids. An ideal subject for Victoria Derbyshire me thinks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then you're clearly not following various threads about Gem 106, Capital, Smooth and Real - where I frequently challenge other people in discussions about other stations.
    Fair enough.And there's nothing wrong with challenging other posters if it is to get them to justify what they have posted. But in this thread you have taken it to the next level!

As has been pointed out to you the Bump Club feature started last Tuesday. It's not so much the feature itself I have a problem with - it's easily avoided - but rather the way it was being promoted all over 5 Live, at least on the two programmes I normally tune into, Breakfast and Drive. I was getting fed up with hearing about it.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, I turned it off after 5 minutes the other night. I'm listening less and less to 5Live, it just isn't doing it for me anymore. Hopefully the new controller will make some changes and it will improve.
  • Options
    streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member

Very informed.

If you read my original post #1174 I was asking what people thought of the idea of Bump Club which has been heavily trailed and started last Tuesday. I quoted from the press release that this will be switching to Sunday mornings in May with Edith Bowman and Colin Murray. Sunday mornings on 5 Live in my view are particularly weak and I can’t see it improving with Bump Club.

Despite not being Richard Bacon’s biggest fan, Sunday mornings could be a good fit for him if he ever gave up doing Monday to Thursday. I could imagine him doing a relaxed show with the Sunday papers review, media discussion, TV reviews, a preview of the week ahead, a big interview etc. I can’t imagine it being worse than Double Take and Bump Club. 5 live hasn’t really had a good Sunday morning line up since Sunday Service with Fi Glover.

This is a thread discussing 5 live so why not give your view rather than just slating other posters for having a critical opinion?
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way does this 'Double Take' show, "Take the week's news and look at it from a different angle"?

It's not a bad show, interesting enough, but seems to discuss news issues in exactly the same at as any other news show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok. I stand corrected on my comments about the Bump Club. I got it wrong - and I'm big enough to admit it.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go...
    Waiting in advance for the mapperly ridge know all smug sound off only for a subsequent retraction and apology - see many examples above.
    Last year's Champions League winners versus the Premier League winners elect and who do we get for our licence fee? Jimmy Armfield? David Pleat, Graham. Taylor? Shearer? Lawrenson? Pat Nevin? No Savage. Mike Ingham must either be cringing or coasting and simply happy for the buck.
This discussion has been closed.