Options

when is sky starting 4K or 8K ULTRA HD?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
Forum Member
when is sky starting to use 4K or 8K ULTRA HD?

Comments

• Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one knows. I can see it being at least a few years yet. There needs to be more TVs on the market (to aid awareness and therefore demand) to make the investment in new kit worthwhile.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    H265 HVEC has been ratified but its unlikely to see the production set top boxes until next 2014. This will improve compression enough to make it more economical to broadcast. You can buy 4K sets right now.

Sky will probably try to sell 4K as a premium product much like 1K.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even with HEVC UHDTV will require double the bandwidth of HD, so it'll only be possible to fit 2 channels on a transponder. Might be tricky, especially if UHD channels need 3 versions (UHD, HD, SD). I think moving all SD & HD channels to DVB-S2 & AVC will be necessary before UHD can really take off on satellite.
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably after they close channel 217 3D which is not as popular as folks first thought.
    It's fine in cinemas but a pain for home viewing because of the glasses.
    However, with 4 or even 8k which I think will be used for production purposes,
    from what I've heard you don't need 3D perse with 4k because of the height of the definition.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea but at present, 4K will come before 8K.

Currently there are NO 4K channels in the world. Eutelsat's so called "UHD" channel is a fake because they use 4 HD video channels to emulate UHD. This is NOT proper UHD.

So I am none the wiser as to when such a service will start at the moment.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,553
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »

And what would be the point of such a service? - apart from feeding the imaginations of those who just like bigger numbers?.

The current 1920x1080 is already too high for the vast majority of viewers, who already watch that from too far away. Increasing the resolution further would require viewing from even closer to get any worthwhile effect, which I can't see people doing?.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer a decent HD service - one with picture quality approaching that of blu-ray and sound to match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    No idea but at present, 4K will come before 8K.

Currently there are NO 4K channels in the world. Eutelsat's so called "UHD" channel is a fake because they use 4 HD video channels to emulate UHD. This is NOT proper UHD.

Not anytime soon, give it 5-10yrs more likely a lot later.
    There are channels to organise and programme needed to furnish those channels.
    But firstly we will need to be able to buy affordable sets and decoders/settop boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Even with HEVC UHDTV will require double the bandwidth of HD, so it'll only be possible to fit 2 channels on a transponder. Might be tricky, especially if UHD channels need 3 versions (UHD, HD, SD). I think moving all SD & HD channels to DVB-S2 & AVC will be necessary before UHD can really take off on satellite.

i thort only one HD channel per transponder?
    and 6 sd channels per transponder?
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    i thort only one HD channel per transponder?
    and 6 sd channels per transponder?
    No...

In DVB-S configuration you normally get ~33 Mbps, enough for 8-10 SD channels if your encoder is good. In DVB-S2 configuration, you get ~44 Mbps, enough for 4 HD channels (AVC), 1 UHD channel (AVC) or 2 UHD channels (HEVC).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Japan haven't gone 3D like we have but opted for 4k as an alternative, a very good alternative (Technically speaking of course) but sets will be horrendously expensive for quite some time yet!
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the long term aim in Japan as ls likely everywhere through FOBTV is for UHD2.
    It is likely that some (and increasing amount of) acquisition will use UHD1 as oversampling gives you a good picture ( see what HD origination looks like in SD) ... and likewise at the display - particularly if the panel manufacturers make nothing else!!!
    But the EBU tests showed that although native UHD1 path was visually just (1/4 point) better than UHD1 capture HD transmission UHD1 display there was no WOW factor that would drive people towards it (there was a Wow factor at start of HD whether in the Year of HD = 1990 or 2002 or 2008 say) but there is a WOW factor for UHD2.

At the moment 80% of the world only has SD ...
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Japan haven't gone 3D like we have but opted for 4k as an alternative, a very good alternative (Technically speaking of course) but sets will be horrendously expensive for quite some time yet!

What's all this on wiki?

As of 2008, 3D programming is broadcast on Japanese satellite BS11 approximately four times per day

The first Japanese television series in 3D, Tokyo Control, premiered on 19 January 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_television
  • Options
    BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    I would prefer a decent HD service - one with picture quality approaching that of blu-ray and sound to match.

Agreed, broadcasting 1080p24 and lossless audio (ie Blu-ray quality) will still take up less bandwidth than Ultra HD, that would be good!
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the existing interlaced 25/30 pictures a second will be with us for some time

The next step change - which is what FOBTV is looking for - should be higher static res - higher frame rate (Some would say that 100/120 pictures a sec is needed for HD static resolution) , Progressive of course ,Linear gamma, wider gamut etc and in many ways getting rid of the issues which bedevil current systems where the step change was not made with the move to HD.
    But just as some directors like "film look" (25fps prgressive) will we have "TV look" (25fps interlace) effects on what will be higher res "reality" Tv....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    No...

In DVB-S configuration you normally get ~33 Mbps, enough for 8-10 SD channels if your encoder is good. In DVB-S2 configuration, you get ~44 Mbps, enough for 4 HD channels (AVC), 1 UHD channel (AVC) or 2 UHD channels (HEVC).

ok,thanx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently the picture quality on a 4k TV being fed a 4k source is so realistic it blows 3D out of the water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the picture quality on a 4k TV being fed a 4k source is so realistic it blows 3D out of the water.

So you can image what 8k does, like I said, Who needs 3D?
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    when is sky starting to use 4K or 8K ULTRA HD?

"In the year 2525, if man is still alive.........":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to the cinema in the USA a couple of weeks ago, saw IDENTITY THEFT, (good film :) ) this was SONY 4K, or so it said on the screen, but to me it looked just like any other film being shown at the cinema !

(also saw Die Hard 99..or whatever it was, .what a mistake that was ! )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably after they close channel 217 3D which is not as popular as folks first thought.
    It's fine in cinemas but a pain for home viewing because of the glasses.
    However, with 4 or even 8k which I think will be used for production purposes,
    from what I've heard you don't need 3D perse with 4k because of the height of the definition.

I did notice in the states, that a hell of a lot of new 3D films were all animation, with a very few live action, there was/is Top Gun 3D !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you can image what 8k does, like I said, Who needs 3D?

The BBC did a demo of 8K footage of the Olympics which I attended and indeed it looks like 3D in the sense that there is so much detail it feels you are looking at the real thing. Not in the silly exaggerated way that 3D does. Just seems you can reach out and touch stuff.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what would be the point of such a service? - apart from feeding the imaginations of those who just like bigger numbers?.

The current 1920x1080 is already too high for the vast majority of viewers, who already watch that from too far away. Increasing the resolution further would require viewing from even closer to get any worthwhile effect, which I can't see people doing?.

Quite.

Lets put it this way, 50" TV from 7-10 feet, even with my eye sight the difference between 720p and 1080i/p is small, 1080i/P ( I use a separate AV processor that employs Vector Adaptive de-interlacing along with ISF certified CMS and grayscale management, to get best out of my TV) it looks slightly better, slightly more detail but the reality is I'd need a bigger screen or to sit closer to see all the 1080p detail.

I cannot see many people sitting that close to a or closer to an 80"+ screen in hope of seeing the improvement in detail in UHDTV ( the current UHDTV 3840x2160 16:9 TV standard is not full the full 4k 4096x2160 17:9 ratio in digital cinema)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC did a demo of 8K footage of the Olympics which I attended and indeed it looks like 3D in the sense that there is so much detail it feels you are looking at the real thing. Not in the silly exaggerated way that 3D does. Just seems you can reach out and touch stuff.

So, ideal for a big gathering in a park etc, but in reality pointless in the average person's home.