Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Steve said it would be a daily thing. I can't see LBC paying five guests the decent fee they'd expect for getting up in the middle of the night! Perhaps they've had their own listener figures for when he was off sick, discovered that it made no difference who was presenting and gave him an ultimatum!

Other than guests which WERE daily what else has stopped?? and could be reinstated ??:confused:
    Cant see its the return of "How Low?"...many guests are his personal friends so I wouldn't be surprised if they joined him on air over the phone
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Other than guests which WERE daily what else has stopped?? and could be reinstated ??:confused:
    Cant see its the return of "How Low?"...many guests are his personal friends so I wouldn't be surprised if they joined him on air over the phone

I'm sure all will soon be revealed. And unless it's in the final half hour, it won't make any difference as far as I'm concerned. I do hope it's phone calls - they were so wonderfully dreadful! :D
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know why Clive Bull only does 2 hour shows?

I've noticed they've extended the Drive show so that Clive can do 8 'til 10 & I was wondering why this was.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've noticed they've extended the Drive show so that Clive can do 8 'til 10 & I was wondering why this was.

I don't know. However, I will make a supposition. Clive was off for about a year. If he was ill, his return to Sunday nights was to ease him back in. Maybe he now feels strong enough to do a week of programmes, albeit for a shorter time shift than other presenters.

Alternatively, they wanted to extend the Drive programme using the final hour as a 'feature' hour.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a theory..... which is probably wrong.
    I wonder if he was off air because of a health scare and is now working himself back gradually.
    That would explain the one evening a week and now the two hours per day. My guess is that, later, those two hours will increase to three and Iain Dale's four hour slot will shrink to three hours.
    Whatever the reason it will be good to have Clive back.

Edit: Ooops.... I see that Martin has already said, more or less, the same thing. oh well, we must be right then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curious discussion from J O'B. He's punting the proposition that you can't be right wing and a Christian. I'm not sure if he's being naive, deliberately controversial or downright offensive. He's starting to sound messianic and, frankly, a bit odd. I was hoping C in CE would phone in and give us her views.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Vallen's quality radio musings this morning concerning a piece of 'classical' music that turned out to be Finlandia and connected with Iceland - Doh!
    The answer's in the title, isn't it? However someone bright spark texted him to tell him the composer was Grieg but soon someone corrected this with the correct answer which was, of course, Sibelius.

Am I missing something here? What's the connection to Iceland? Was this a particularly convoluted dig at Kerry Katona by Allen or something? :confused:
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Am I missing something here? What's the connection to Iceland? Was this a particularly convoluted dig at Kerry Katona by Allen or something? :confused:

I think Vallen thought that Finlandia alluded to Icelandic origins rather than the obvious, Finland. I wasn't very awake and so might have miscontrued everything. Anyway it's Finland and Jean Sibelius, isn't it?
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    I'm sure all will soon be revealed. And unless it's in the final half hour, it won't make any difference as far as I'm concerned. I do hope it's phone calls - they were so wonderfully dreadful! :D

How did he handle calls years ago on LBC before his rant act he currently does.

He's the only one i find that struggles to make calls flow into a conversation as it ends up with laughter from Allen and the caller ends up filling in awkward silence gaps.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So hope hes not taking calls "Treacle" back on air every day would force listeners away in droves At the Magic Circle show the other week Steve did say he had been asked to do calls but that management soon realised it wasn't working but he had given it a go..:)
    I would like to think its his regular guests back ..either as a one off or a regular basis..maybe a sort of non cash bonus for his listening figures !.
    I think it would go a long way to Mr Rea winning back the good will of listeners who were quick to tell him he was wrong to drop them in the first place and show that he does ACTUALLY listen to them as he always try to make out in his press releases

Didn't Steve's audience figures increase when they dumped his fawning studio guests? Bringing them back would be a retrograde step so Mr Rea would be daft to bring them back.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    I have a theory..... which is probably wrong.
    I wonder if he was off air because of a health scare and is now working himself back gradually.
    That would explain the one evening a week and now the two hours per day. My guess is that, later, those two hours will increase to three and Iain Dale's four hour slot will shrink to three hours.
    Whatever the reason it will be good to have Clive back.

Edit: Ooops.... I see that Martin has already said, more or less, the same thing. oh well, we must be right then!

Many contracts have been renewed at LBC, maybe Clive decided after many years to agree to reduced hours during the week than before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    I think Vallen thought that Finlandia alluded to Icelandic origins rather than the obvious, Finland. I wasn't very awake and so might have miscontrued everything. Anyway it's Finland and Jean Sibelius, isn't it?

Yes. The Iceland thing just confused me that's all. I didn't actually hear the show which gave me the scope to get as confused as I did! I was just going off your comment.

Given Allen's history of digs at people like Katona, I wondered whether he'd become more obtuse in order to hide the repetition or something.

Genuinely not being pedantic, just genuinely confused :)
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Didn't Steve's audience figures increase when they dumped his fawning studio guests? Bringing them back would be a retrograde step so Mr Rea would be daft to bring them back.

Indeed, his audience increased when the guests went, the calls also made his audience decrease so i wouldn't think they would want to bring them back. My guess is it's something to do with the guests but slightly different than before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knew there was a reason i came on here! Bill Buckley fans ? He's back!

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/travelled-broadcaster-Buckley-Radio-Devon-road/story-18381054-detail/story.html#axzz2NDcqwfBt

Edit: Also just noticed this is my post number 973! Quite fitting it was in this forum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough EXACTLY the same opinion was voiced by no less a personage than Duncan Ballantine himself on Channel four Friday night .He was a guest on The Last Leg .
    One other thing running on the thread that Im just catching up on ..the diversity and people of colour issue..always a tricky one .It seems that there is no one up and coming in the media ..in London or elsewhere Sir Trevor and Moira Stewart the two who always spring to mind having all but retired
    Are there any (and I hate the term) "people of colour "doing mainline jobs in that field on ANY BBC or Commercial station in the UK excluding djs?
    Could it be that there is no one rising up in the ranks and its NOT a race thing at all?
    I can well remember at least two ILR radio stations who employed news readers from ...gasp of ALL places Australia and New Zealand on a regular basis instead of ENGLISH ones and nobody commented on that nor should they have done .
    For what its worth as has been mentioned any radio group will have a list of people they are interested in using .Ian was I believe head hunted by LBC at the time and he wasnt the only one seemingly

There seems to be more diversity on TV where there are many broadcast journalists of colour, all of which are excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be more diversity on TV where there are many broadcast journalists of colour, all of which are excellent.

You can't have watched BBC London. They're universally dreadful. Black, white, Asian; they all speak garbled estuary English. Even the studio presenters leave a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »
    THANK YOU

I'm very glad you posted that.

Sadly, and depressingly, our posts attracted almost no other responses. Still, better to keep on bashing that head than to give up entirely.

I was thinking on this earlier on, how presenters try and garner different responses on the same old ground; topics they cover week in and week out.

They usually try and dress it up by reframing the topic and yet it's the same issue, the same presenter and the same audience. Surely, an ideal way of getting different views on the these same old topics would be more variety in both presenters and the callers?
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »
    Knew there was a reason i came on here! Bill Buckley fans ? He's back!

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/travelled-broadcaster-Buckley-Radio-Devon-road/story-18381054-detail/story.html#axzz2NDcqwfBt

Edit: Also just noticed this is my post number 973! Quite fitting it was in this forum!

I would have been overjoyed had Bill made a return to LBC, but he hasn't. Your post is very misleading.

For me, he hasn't gone away as I can still hear him as an occasional guest on Ed Doolan's Sunday morning programme but my image of Bill resuming his weeknight early hours slot with Duncan Barkes taking over the 10.00pm slot has been irreparably shattered.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't have watched BBC London. They're universally dreadful. Black, white, Asian; they all speak garbled estuary English. Even the studio presenters leave a lot to be desired.

I totally disagree with you. Riz Lateef is one of the best broadcast journalists on the BBC, let alone on BBC London. She is articulate, intelligent and excellent at her job. I could say the same about Asad Ahmad and Alice Bhandhukravi, although the latter doesn't have as strong a personality as the other two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone familiar with the radio comedy 'Down the Line'? The piss-talk of the talk radio format?

I used to think that it was primarily based on TalkSport/TalkRadio but O'Brien's last call - the white South African woman - was almost word-for-word a sketch that happens on Down the Line. For those that didn't hear it, the caller was saying she didn't have a voice, and wasn't allowed to say what she felt (with regards to immigration and immigrants) despite O'Brien giving her a voice and allowing her what she wanted to say and, when pushed as to what she wanted to say, didn't have anything to say other than she didn't have a voice &c.

Weird.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder where Rupert Bhatia is from.
    Anyone know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I would have been overjoyed had Bill made a return to LBC, but he hasn't. Your post is very misleading.

For me, he hasn't gone away as I can still hear him as an occasional guest on Ed Doolan's Sunday morning programme but my image of Bill resuming his weeknight early hours slot with Duncan Barkes taking over the 10.00pm slot has been irreparably shattered.:mad:

My post is misleading ? All i put was He's back. I didn't say back on LBC :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just listening to Hartley-Brewer and I can't believe the hypocrisy of the woman. For years she's called the public sector over-paid and over-privileged in terms of pensions &c. Now she's using them as the standard over which benefits being increased: benefit increase of 1% and the 'poor' public sector not getting a rise at all, therefore unfair if benefits get raised more.

She's just said that 'I don't think the unemployed are being stigmatised'. Really? Doesn't she listen to her own station? That's all she and most of the station seem to do.

And as for respect to guests and callers, I can only imagine the indignation on here if O'Brien talked about any guest or caller the way Hartley-Brewer did about Polly Toynbee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is that the term "people of colour" was introduced to replace the previously used "non-white" which gave the impression that white was the accepted standard with which everything should be compared. "People of colour" is not an ideal phrase but I believe an improvement on "non-white" as a collective term used to describe people who are racially of black, Asian or Arab descent.

People of colour.

Not white.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    THANK YOU

I'm very glad you posted that.

Sadly, and depressingly, our posts attracted almost no other responses. Still, better to keep on bashing that head than to give up entirely.

I shall bring my bandages!:D
This discussion has been closed.