Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jos wrote: »

It suggests to me that he lied about being happy with bail conditions at the hearing, and that he is a flight risk.

It seems he agreed to anything to get bail, but now wants all the conditions lifted so he can get on with his life without any inconveniences.

Arrogant git.
  • Options
    josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    It suggests to me that he lied about being happy with bail conditions at the hearing, and that he is a flight risk.

It seems he agreed to anything to get bail, but now wants all the conditions lifted so he can get on with his life without any inconveniences.

Arrogant git.

Couldn't have put it better.

Totally agree.

Bail conditions appeal later this week in front of same magistrate.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally agree.

I hope he has sufficient concerns to remand him back into custody.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing he should NOT be allowed to do is travel abroad.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the request is disconnected with reality.
  • Options
    LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://news.sky.com/story/1062933/oscar-pistorius-wants-to-leave-south-africa

He's a "broken man" according to Sky News especially since he's had to sell his racehorse to pay for his legal fees. My heart bleeds. Apparently his bible is helping him though. Perhaps he wants to read it on a nice trip away somewhere. He should keep his head down and deal with the bail conditions he's been given.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    the request is disconnected with reality.

His request is very disrespectful to Reevas family too .Its show lack of empathy , after all he did shoot someone dead and needs to pay for that in some form or another .
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he has sufficient concerns to remand him back into custody.

Hear hear.

The mere request demonstrates that he's not fit to be out on bail. What a c*** :mad:
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cojones wrote: »
    A broken man: Best friend of Oscar Pistorius reveals athlete is suicidal

Quote:
    Among the revelations is how Pistorius, 26, showed bravado after he was arrested over the Valentine’s Day shooting and told police: “I’ll survive. I always win.”

It was his response to a senior officer who had warned him: “You could go to jail for a very long time, Oscar.”

1. He has been selling his belongings to fund his soaring legal fees since he was charged with murdering his girlfriend, a sensational documentary will reveal.

2. Among the revelations is how Pistorius, 26, showed bravado after he was arrested over the Valentine’s Day shooting and told police: “I’ll survive. I always win.”

3. Police also confirmed the key witness who reported hearing screams and shots has come forward. The witness lives 150 metres from Pistorius’s luxury home in the highly secured Silver Woods estate in South Africa’s capital Pretoria.

4. Investigators also revealed the bathroom door through which Reeva Steenkamp was shot opens inwards. It means she could have used her body to try to stop it being pushed open.

5. Detectives said they were no longer concerned with whether Pistorius put on his legs before he shot Reeva, 29.

6. They also confirmed that two dogs were in the grounds of the house when the shooting happened and there was a ladder, as Pistorius had described.

7. Since his arrest he has racked up legal fees of more than £200,000. Once the trial starts that will climb far higher.

8. The whole estate where Pistorius lives bristles with hi-tech security plus armed guards and dogs. The last incident was an inside job – a robbery at gunpoint in 2011 which involved a rogue guard.

9. Police in Johannesburg added they are looking at Reeva’s iPhone with its “massive” number of text messages.

10. Pistorius’s phone, which was in the bathroom next to Reeva’s, the 9mm pistol used and the path of the bullets through the door are all being examined.

11. Officers believe neither Reeva nor Pistorius were drunk.

12. They intend to push for a full murder trial and will refuse a lesser plea.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/oscar-pistorius-suicidal-reveals-best-1753776

Thanks for the PM.

No-one has been apologising for him or his actions.

Which part of that don't you understand?
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Arrogant git.

To be fair DP, I don't think he was ever happy with the bail conditions. Of course, I would assume they are preferable to being incarcerated. If you remember, soon after hearing rumours were circulating that his legal team were going to challenge the 'no alcohol' condition. I must say I am surprised that they've allegedly decided to challenge pretty much the whole thing especially the travel ban.

I agree with flagpole. The application is disconnected from reality.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Thanks for the PM.

No-one has been apologising for him or his actions.

Which part of that don't you understand?

That's what baffles me too, calico_pie. It's really bizarre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree.

That should be interesting. I wonder how long Nair will take this time before announcing his verdict :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am assuming that had Oscar been charged with culpable homicide, he may have pleaded guilty and avoided a trial. It's the premeditated murder charge he challenges as according to him, he didn't mean to kill Reeva. His affidavit doesn't appear to give him a clear defence against murder so one has to assume he'll either be hoping the State fails to prove it's case or he changes aspects of his affidavit. I don't see how adding to it will help.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone confirm/deny that his bail conditions are "normal" for someone being charged with murder in the UK? (I appreciate SA law is different - just want to have some idea of how he might have been treated in this country)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    That should be interesting. I wonder how long Nair will take this time before announcing his verdict :o

Best make up a packed lunch and a thermos just in case.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that he is told either to adhere to the bail conditions as set or go back to prison until the trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Best make up a packed lunch and a thermos just in case.

DP wasn't too happy last time :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowieboy wrote: »
    I hope that he is told either to adhere to the bail conditions as set or go back to prison until the trial.

For the sheer audacity of the application, I'm hoping he's not given a choice.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He wouldn't be given a choice. It would be reiterated that if he breaches the current conditions then inside he goes. I hope that Nair sticks to his original ruling.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member

Can't believe the arrogance of him and his defense team. A woman is dead, he is charged with murder, and he thinks he should be given his passport back so he can travel overseas? It's breathtaking arrogance. He should be held on remand, not living a life of luxury with his family. Sickening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And as for him 'being suicidal', well that's just another carefully vetted release to the media to garner sympathy and that Pistorius is a 'broken man'. Well, at least he's still alive, which is more than can be said for his victim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone confirm/deny that his bail conditions are "normal" for someone being charged with murder in the UK? (I appreciate SA law is different - just want to have some idea of how he might have been treated in this country)

Aren't murder suspects normally remanded in custody in the UK? Apparently, they are in SA too, but money talks.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In England he would not have been given bail. If however by some bizarre miracle of fate he was released, the bail conditions would have been extremely stringent (daily reporting to a police station, residence at a different address, no contact with prosecution witnesses, surrender of passport, maybe even curfew). Aside from the no alcohol condition which is unusual in England, all other conditions are pretty standard and quite lenient by our standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe the arrogance of him and his defense team. A woman is dead, he is charged with murder, and he thinks he should be given his passport back so he can travel overseas? It's breathtaking arrogance. He should be held on remand, not living a life of luxury with his family. Sickening.

Dear me, if I were in his position I'd just be grateful I wasn't in prison right now. I read a while back that people have cossetted him, I'm beginning to feel that he is precious.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,170
    Forum Member
    If as reported Oscar is selling off his assets to pay his legal fees and PR spindoctors could that increase the risk of him skipping the country due to having less fixed assets?

Could he need to go abroad for treatment or have new artifical legs fitted?
This discussion has been closed.