Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I'm getting really tired of LBC and LBC presenters saying "The Legend" Clive Bull! On what basis are they calling him a legend? Because he is popular with some posters on this thread? :confused:

That's a tad unfair. Even though he's only worked for LBC, he's one of the most respected broadcasters in radio and is often cited by others as a favourite and even an inspiration. He's also a classic example of starting by answering the phones and working up though production to presenting. And I don't think LBC take opinions expressed on here that seriously - if at all!

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    James30 wrote: »
    Duncan Barkes taking calls all though his show from drivers stranded on roads in Kent and Sussex due to Snow.

At 3am LBC must be the only station doing this.

That must have been riveting. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 202,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    he's one of the most respected broadcasters in radio and is often cited by others as a favourite and even an inspiration.
    Morning all. :)

I'd never heard of him in my puff, up here in Scotland until I started listening to LBC on my DAB, & I'm talking 30 yrs plus in my case !! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Tyeveras wrote: »
    Tax goes way back further than that. The Romans taxed all their provinces (including Britannia). They even privatised their tax collection system (Shhh - don't tell Dave). How else do you think they paid for the aqueducts, roads, sanitation, public order and all the other things they ever did for us?

Oh, yes. I was just keeping it with the Conquest theme from the other poster. I just happen to know a fair bit about Anglo-Saxons (ex-Gesiðas &c) rather than taxes! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm getting really tired of LBC and LBC presenters saying "The Legend" Clive Bull! On what basis are they calling him a legend? Because he is popular with some posters on this thread? :confused:

As a comeback it wasn't exactly explosive. I think following the new Iain Dale's Slow Lane Drive Time with Clive 'Laid Back' Bull adds up to too many hours of the same broadcasting tone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do LBC presenters think the rest of the country does when it snows?
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never heard of him in my puff, up here in Scotland until I started listening to LBC on my DAB, & I'm talking 30 yrs plus in my case !! :confused:

Presenters in Scotland are hardly likely to say that they got inspiration from Clive Bull in London, or even when they were in London there was a broadcster called Clive Bull who was really great!

We don't know many Scottish presenters, other than Richard Park and Scottie McClue !
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    That must have been riveting. :rolleyes:

It's very easy to mock the reaction of some media when there's a flurry of snow in the south east. But yesterday was pretty treacherous. I would have thought taking calls rom drivers would be exactly the thing to do at 3am.

What would you have put on air instead?
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because he's been there for decades like part of the furniture. I suppose the management think we'll be brainwashed into believing it if they repeat it enough times. It's another example of Global management thinking its listeners are morons. The reality is that CB does his job ok but comes across as a bland, innocuous individual who sits on the fence and seems scared to ever reveal anything about his private life. Nothing makes me want to tune into him at all these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Maybe because he's been there for decades like part of the furniture. I suppose the management think we'll be brainwashed into believing it if they repeat it enough times. It's another example of Global management thinking its listeners are morons. The reality is that CB does his job ok but comes across as a bland, innocuous individual who sits on the fence and seems scared to ever reveal anything about his private life. Nothing makes me want to tune into him at all these days.

How do you know that the phrase "legend" is something being ordered from on high by the management? Perhaps some of the other presenters came up with the phrase? Maybe, after 25 years on air, it's a fitting "self styled" title, not to be taken too seriously.

Of course, that won't satisfy the Global bashes who think everything is a conspiracy.

As for keeping his private life private, so what? When I go on air I don't want listeners knowing everything about me. It's my business, not theirs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I go on air I don't want listeners knowing everything about me..

You are Colin Lamont (Scottie) and I claim my prize!!
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the measured quality of Dale's presenting just wish political interviews would be more, I don't know, 'sharp'? Also, I can't imagine that he'd give someone like Fox a difficult interview under any circumstances. He's too partisan. The only thing that really tempers his views is he's liberal on some social issues like sexuality, gender equality &c which, arguably, makes him look less C/conservative than he actually is.

Yes you are right ID is so socially liberal in fact my eyes sometimes water! But on other subjects he is very right wing which tend to mask how far to the right he actually is on most issues.

Cracking point.:)
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know that the phrase "legend" is something being ordered from on high by the management? Perhaps some of the other presenters came up with the phrase? Maybe, after 25 years on air, it's a fitting "self styled" title, not to be taken too seriously.

Of course, that won't satisfy the Global bashes who think everything is a conspiracy.

As for keeping his private life private, so what? When I go on air I don't want listeners knowing everything about me. It's my business, not theirs.

To be fair i have heard presenters such as Nick Ferrari say i am asking listeners to share parts of their life with me benefit calls, divorces,ect ect its only right i share some of my life with them,Duncan Barkes also talks about parts of his private live but clive does ask people to reveal aspects of their life if they phone in without wishing to reveal anything at all of his,ok its his right not too but most presenters like to reveal something of themselves.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are Colin Lamont (Scottie) and I claim my prize!!

I am most definitely not!

But it's a serious point. Why should a presenter share details of their private life? Sure, it's an expectation that you share your personality with listeners, and many presenters develop an on air character - not unlike Scottie! - which is just that : an act.

A classic example of this was the fuss over comments Moyles once made to Will Young, which had the gay lobby quite literally outraged over a comment which was evidently tongue in cheek. "he's a homophobe!" declared sections of the press. Er, no. See also Jeremy Clarkson, Charlie Brooker etc...

By contrast, Kevin Greening hardly ever mentioned his sexuality. I think he said in a book words to the effect of "being gay isn't part of my act". I'm paraphrasing from memory here but that was the jist of it.

By the way, if you call in to a phone in you are, by default, letting yourself in for whatever questions the presenter wishes to ask. Yes, it should be a two way deal and there's nothing to stop a caller turning the tables. But that doesn't mean an automatic right to know on the listeners part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't know many Scottish presenters
    , other than Richard Park and Scottie McClue !

Wot about Alan Brazil, Steve Jones, & even good old Ken Bruce, surely but to name a few !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And Nicky Campbell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wot about Alan Brazil, Steve Jones, & even good old Ken Bruce, surely but to name a few !
    And Nicky Campbell.

I take the point. However they all broadcast on national stations whereas Clive is on a London station, whose main intention is to broadcast to London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iwhose main intention is to broadcast to London.

That might be the case now, that they are shutting down there regional transmitters, I think mine shuts down in september ish, ( The Glasgow area )
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

:eek: Steve Jones was an English LBC presenter! :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jones_%28game_show_presenter%29

http://www.geofflumley.org.uk/lbc261/LBCpresenters/Thumbnails/90.jpg
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I take the point. However they all broadcast on national stations whereas Clive is on a London station, whose main intention is to broadcast to London.

The Clive of old was fine with his mixture of the serious and fun. We had the Midnight weatherman. Murder After Midnight and fun jingles, but the serious Clive only is just dull IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That might be the case now, that they are shutting down there regional transmitters, I think mine shuts down in september ish, ( The Glasgow area )

But the point was why you may not have heard of Clive before listening to LBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am most definitely not!

But it's a serious point. Why should a presenter share details of their private life?

I like to know things about a presenter as I'd like to know what qualifies their views and colours their presenting. I like to know what experience they have in the subject they're attempting to host a discussion on, particularly if they are driving an 'anti-' position. And, if they don't have personal experience, how are they informed on the subject and are they informed at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to know things about a presenter as I'd like to know what qualifies their views and colours their presenting. I like to know what experience they have in the subject they're attempting to host a discussion on, particularly if they are driving an 'anti-' position. And, if they don't have personal experience, how are they informed on the subject and are they informed at all.

You presumably like Mystery Hour, when James asks callers answering a question the basis of their knowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Steve Jones was an English LBC presenter! :mad:

Were in my post did I say he wasn't ? :confused:

Chinnie I heard Steve Jones on radio clyde, in 1973....... I was just a young pup them !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But the point was why you may not have heard of Clive before listening to LBC.

Thats wot my first post was saying ! :confused:
This discussion has been closed.