Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Between a 6PM timeslot and a non-existent marketing campaign - it looks like the BBC's plan for doctor who to get a sub-5million overnight rating is going well.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Between a 6PM timeslot and a non-existent marketing campaign - it looks like the BBC's plan for doctor who to get a sub-5million overnight rating is going well.

In 2011 Doctor Who was launched at 6.00pm on April 23rd with 6.52m

Also Ant Dec on at 7pm, so 6pm is a much easier slot for DW.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »

That year they'd been playing a launch trailer 4 weeks antecedently to the show's launch.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,653
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »

The further into the evening doctor who goes the more audience it picks up. So at seven it will reach a higher overnight. Ant and dec would not trouble it.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The trailers (as has been widely discussed in the DW thread as I am sure you know, having taken part ;)) generally start two weeks before transmission, with teasers (which have aired) between three and four weeks before transmission. Granted some series trailers have started a bit earlier than that, whilst others have been within two weeks of the broadcast.

The first proper trailer airs tonight on BBC one

As for the time, all DW fans know full well that it should be kept to a standard 7pm or thereabout slot, but that it will be moved about each week (sadly). But that it also has massive timeshifts which generally make up for any losses in overnights (which are far less important to the B BC than they once were, now that timeshifting & iPlayer have evolved).
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger Mosey ‏@rogermosey
    It looks like highest audience section of Comic Relief was 8.15-8.30 with 11.7m viewers. Still 10m at 10pm. #RND
    Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More
    9:40 AM - 16 Mar 13

That looks high! :eek:
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Sam Hodges ‏@Sam_Hodges
    Last night's record breaking #ComicRelief was seen by a peak audience of 12.2m #RND #BBC1
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Sam Hodges ‏@Sam_Hodges
    Last night's record breaking #ComicRelief was seen by a peak audience of 12.2m #RND #BBC1
    How does that peak compare to last comic relief?
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Sam Hodges ‏@Sam_Hodges
    That looks great for comic relief
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    How does that peak compare to last comic relief?

Ratings from 2011:

Friday 18th March Overnights
    BBC One
    13:45- Doctors: 1.64m (21.8%)
    19:00-22:00: Comic Relief 2011: 9.87m (40.5%)
    * 19:00-20:00: 7.84m (34.2%)
    * 20:00-21:00: 10.5m (41.5%)
    * 21:00-22:00: 11.29m (45.2%)
    * peak: 12.4m
    22:35-02:00: Comic Relief 2011: 4.26m (44%)

So the peak was ever so slightly down but still absolutely fantastic!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like standout figures again for Comic Relief. Interesting to see the figures for the hours, they seemed to run off their best sketches in the first half hour or so -dont remember that much going on at the peak audience period.Unbelievable amount raised though and some pretty powerful advertising for the major partners as well.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The trailers (as has been widely discussed in the DW thread as I am sure you know, having taken part ;)) generally start two weeks before transmission, with teasers (which have aired) between three and four weeks before transmission. Granted some series trailers have started a bit earlier than that, whilst others have been within two weeks of the broadcast.

The first proper trailer airs tonight on BBC one

As for the time, all DW fans know full well that it should be kept to a standard 7pm or thereabout slot, but that it will be moved about each week (sadly). But that it also has massive timeshifts which generally make up for any losses in overnights (which are far less important to the B BC than they once were, now that timeshifting & iPlayer have evolved).

Yes hopefully i player audience will be counted in the official figures at some point.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    An all-day share of 30.9% for BBC One yesterday, and 41.0% for BBC TV overall. Both about 10 points ahead of last Friday. No prizes for guessing why.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,362
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Roger Mosey ‏@rogermosey
    It looks like highest audience section of Comic Relief was 8.15-8.30 with 11.7m viewers. Still 10m at 10pm. #RND
    Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More
    9:40 AM - 16 Mar 13

That looks high! :eek:

Wasn't that the EastEnders just say 'NO' segment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    George Dixon, long time star of this thread, got a new job as a station controller today

If the Irish station is beside a river would it be....

"Dixon of Dock Green".
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,907
    Forum Member
    How did CBBC do from 15:40 onwards (and of course, the BBC One simulcast for Glee Club)?

That's brilliant for Comic Relief, maybe even a 50% share?
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

Yah I think EE was on then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With the shake up with horse racing on C4 have the ratings for the past week shown a difference?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

Judging from iPlayer, the EE segment ran from approximately 20:21 to 20:27, so it did fall in the highest-rating 15-minute period.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Irish station is beside a river would it be....

"Dixon of Dock Green".

The Brits are taking over RTE as ex-BBC man Kevin Bakhurst recently became head of RTE News. Donnybrook, alas, is not near a river.....
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,500
    Forum Member
    Terrific rating for Comic Relief again - it gets lots of stick these days for the quality of the show (some of it deserved), but they clearly have a winning formula as far as donations and ratings go.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Terrific rating for Comic Relief again - it gets lots of stick these days for the quality of the show (some of it deserved), but they clearly have a winning formula as far as donations and ratings go.

Wel said. No matter what many say about it, you can't fault it's raised a hel of a lot of money
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it held up on last time. Good on them. So what were the program averages? I presume 9m for the first one.

I thought the show was okay to be honest. There was plenty of sketches some better than other's. Not to much music. It was better than CiN has been for the last few years.

I thought we were going to be panning it today but thank god it's done okay.

Ken
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »

That's a good point. I do think they are going to have to eventually improve the shows though. But still an excellent amount of cash for a great charity. I would say last nights show was bearable. I watched from 7 till 12.30 and it was okay. CiN last year was a really very difficult watch and I had to turn it off because it was really bad. At least last nights show had some laughs in it and a good bit from EE. CiN which is also a great charity and I support it but the show just consisted of Wogan bumbling and not much more.

Ken
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those wondering about Doctor Who promotion. @BBCOne: *NEWS* The trailer for the brand new series of @bbcdoctorwho will premiere online at 6pm this evening, we'll tweet the link when it's live.
This discussion has been closed.