Options

Players who went from hero to zero (or vice versa)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can think of a couple in the former category

El Hadj Diouf (Came to prominence at the world cup in 2002 , scored a wonder goal vs France everyone thought he was great, then came to England , sulked spat and generaly was an unpleasant little shit)

Luis Suarez . Was a joy to watch in the group games in South Africa , then disgraced himself vs Ghana with despicable behaviour . Then signed for Liverpool and racially abused Patrice Evra.

Comments

• Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which player wouldn't have done the handball on the line.

Ghana should have just scored the penalty. According to the laws of the game Suarez should have been sent off and Ghana should have been awarded a penalty. But thats exactly what happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ghana should have just scored the penalty. According to the laws of the game Suarez should have been sent off and Ghana should have been awarded a penalty. But thats exactly what happened.
    I'm talking more about him clapping and cheering and being a cocky shit when they missed the spot kick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As per the saying, "there is no greater love than to lay down your life (reputation in this case) for your country". That is precisely what Suarez did in that instance, albeit on a smaller scale.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suarez is a hero to a lot of footie fans.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gareth Bale was regarded as a bit of a joke a few years ago, didn`t Spurs go a long time before winning a game when he first signed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suarez is a hero to a lot of footie fans.
    Yeah Liverpool fans I accept that.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Yeah Liverpool fans I accept that.

And fans of the Uruguay national team, possibly some Ajax fans too and overall I'm sure there are many footie fans who look up to him as a player. He's certainly not a zero.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm talking more about him clapping and cheering and being a cocky shit when they missed the spot kick.

I didn't agree with that but he's not the first and he won't be the last. Don't think it means he went hero to zero though, pretty sure he was a hero in Uruguay for that save.

David Beckham is a good example of zero to hero for England.

And not knowing that Diouf didn't actually score against France does render quite a bit of the post void (it takes 2 seconds to check Google)
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarezs reaction to the Ghana penalty miss was totally understandable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarezs reaction to the Ghana penalty miss was totally understandable.

He should really have been halfway down the tunnel though. Although to hear some people after the Mansfield game, he not only made Gyan miss the penalty but somehow caused them to miss in the shootout as well.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,082
    Forum Member
    Adrian Mutu springs to mind for us. Started off well when we first signed him, scoring a few goals in his first few matches and looking like a great acquisition. Then the goals promptly dried up and he struggled thereafter, turning out to be a coke-head and sacked the following season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't agree with that but he's not the first and he won't be the last. Don't think it means he went hero to zero though, pretty sure he was a hero in Uruguay for that save.

David Beckham is a good example of zero to hero for England.

And not knowing that Diouf didn't actually score against France does render quite a bit of the post void (it takes 2 seconds to check Google)
    My mistake it was Papa Boupa Diop who scored wasnt it? :o. Ok but Diof was one of there best players in that game and until they were eliminated.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Hero to zero:

Stephen Ireland
    Roy Keane as a manager
    Benitez as a manager - seemed pretty despertae to take a short term contract at Chelsea after years of being sidelined for top positions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A year and a half is hardly YEARS. And he turned down several jobs in between.

Roy Keane as a manager? Roy Keane as an international PLAYER went from hero to zero in my book.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torres surely has to have a wee mention?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torres is a strange one, I almost feel sorry for him.

For a lot of Man Utd supporters Joey Barton went from zero to hero on the last day of the season.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Owen with Liverpool fans when he signed for Man United. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »

He actually WAS the Hero to Zero, wasn't that the name of the godawful tv show where he came out of the poster?
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Beckham for England is a great shout

Harry Kewell. Zero to hero is not the right phrase but he was a class act at Leeds and although he struggled with injuries at Pool his attitude was questionable. Two nightmare performances in Champs League finals

Suarez is a strange shout. What else was he meant to do? Allow Ghana score and knock his team out? he got punished accordingly. I think he's gained huge respect from footballing fans in general this season. He's been outstanding and everyone recognises that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »

RVP with Arsenal fans definitely. Ashley Cole too

Rooney for a few days with a selection of United fans :D

Owen was never really that big a fans favourite at Pool though. He was always overshadowed by Fowler.

While he didn't go from ZERO to hero, Luis Garcia after the latter stages of the CL 05 became a Pool legend all of a sudden with those massively important goals!
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Gordon McQueen joe Jordan Alan
    Smith & cantona all left Leeds for man utd
    Also kewell and his agent the money grabbing mercenary
    Then when he went to Galatarsay well that was the last straw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you can maybe put Smicer in that category with Garcia. He wasn't necessarily a zero but he certainly finished his Liverpool career a hero (on and off the pitch).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you can maybe put Smicer in that category with Garcia. He wasn't necessarily a zero but he certainly finished his Liverpool career a hero (on and off the pitch).

Indeed!

Dirk Kuyt zero to hero?

Obviously zero is not the right word but iirc he was signed in summer 06 as a potential heavy goal scorer ( he had knocked them in for fun for Feyenoord). In his first season he couldn't finish a sentence but after that he developed into a seriously hard working, honest player with an attitude the fans loved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Beckham for England is a great shout

Harry Kewell. Zero to hero is not the right phrase but he was a class act at Leeds and although he struggled with injuries at Pool his attitude was questionable. Two nightmare performances in Champs League finals

Suarez is a strange shout. What else was he meant to do? Allow Ghana score and knock his team out? he got punished accordingly. I think he's gained huge respect from footballing fans in general this season. He's been outstanding and everyone recognises that
    Again not questioning Suarez footballing abillities hes a fantastic player everyone knows it. But Im talking about his attitude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again not questioning Suarez footballing abillities hes a fantastic player everyone knows it. But Im talking about his attitude.

I think Suarez is getting from Hero to Zero back to Hero again. He is working hard on his attitude, sure there are the odd slips back, but overall I would say he is at least trying hard to 'fit in' to EPL standards - and getting there too. He has the equivalent of Everest to climb, but he's doing it, and I for one have huge respect for that effort.

Hero to Zero? Lineker, for the player he was to the man he's become............................. :eek: