Options

Famous Historical People: Who Should the Doctor Meet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
Due to having a time machine, the Doctor has met all sorts of famous individuals from Earth's past.

What sort of people would you like to see appear in future Doctor Who stories?

Personally, I'd like to see Amelia Earhart.

What about you?

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elvis
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amelia Earhart would be brilliant - in fact, I'm surprised they haven't done that already. After all, he explained Agatha Christie's disappearance in 1926...

I'd like him to meet Emmeline Pankhurst, or Martin Luther King - take them to the present day and show them it was all worthwhile.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how about Johann Sebastian Bach or some other composer.
  • Options
    OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the Doctor ever met Fatima? Or her papa?

That would surely make for some light-hearted fun for everyone what ever they did with it.

How about Graham Chapman? Frank Herbert? Rosalind Franklin? Has the Doctor ever met any of them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Marie Antoinette played by Miranda Hart ?

I like the Martin Luther King idea.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,490
    Forum Member
    I too am a fan of the Amelia Earhart idea...she seems perfect for the show :D

Similarly, I'd love to see the show delve into the Bermuda Triangle, maybe explore the mystery of the lost Flight 19.

Elizabeth I or Henry VIII would also be deserving of their own stories, as would someone like Charlie Chaplin. :D
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he keeps almost meeting Leonardo De Vinci or at least we keep almost seeing it.

Amelia Earhart does seem perfect.

With all the fuss about finding Richard III maybe him?
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Amelia Earhart would be brilliant - in fact, I'm surprised they haven't done that already. After all, he explained Agatha Christie's disappearance in 1926...

I'd like him to meet Emmeline Pankhurst, or Martin Luther King - take them to the present day and show them it was all worthwhile.

Emmeline Pankhurst would be delighted to see how women have fared in the Western world. She might not be too keen on seeing how women are treated in the Middle East however. Still a long way to go there. :(

I agree it would be great to have him meet Martin Luther King so he could tell him that his life and death had not been in vain.

I know - the Doctor could meet Elvis in Memphis and try to save Dr King all at the same time! :D
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,493
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see him meet those historical characters like Nefertiti we saw in DoaS and see the adventure he had with her in ancient Egypt.

What happened to Rory's phone charger and Henry VIII?

And others in historical vignettes we've seen. Sort of join the dots or fill in the blanks.

Other than that, how about going to ancient africa and meeting the first modern humans, perhaps on the brink of extinction. He could tell them they must migrate and spread around the world... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    How about Marie Antoinette played by Miranda Hart ?

But Marie Antoinette has been done already, not only that but she has been shown from a child to death.....

I like the idea of:

Abraham Lincoln
    Albert Eisenstein (in a proper episode other than that short clip)
    Steven Hawking (before the wheelchair :) )

or on a different spin on things, historical figures in the future, First Intergalactic Ambassador for Earth and I know its not a certain person, but what If he visited The Time Agency?
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 3,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy741 wrote: »

But Marie Antoinette has been done already, not only that but she has been shown from a child to death.....

You're thinking of Madame Du Pompadour. Marie Antoinette was a completely different historical character altogether, from a slightly later time period.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Vabosity wrote: »
    You're thinking of Madame Du Pompadour. Marie Antoinette was a completely different historical character altogether, from a slightly later time period.

:o I do apologise, I feel shame for making that mistake... In that case I accept your idea for Marie Antoinette, but Miranda Hart should be kept out of Doctor Who IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member

I like the idea of:

Abraham Lincoln
    Albert Eisenstein (in a proper episode other than that short clip)
    Steven Hawking (before the wheelchair :) )

or on a different spin on things, historical figures in the future, First Intergalactic Ambassador for Earth and I know its not a certain person, but what If he visited The Time Agency?

I guess you mean Einstein, though Sergei Eisenstein would be quite interesting too. :)

Along the same lines how about:

Sir Isaac Newton (with a squadron of Arcturan stunt apples)
    Aristotle
    Plato
    Euclid (the Doctor could point and laugh!)
    Edison
    Tesla (he might consider the Doctor pretty tame and not mad at all!)

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Stalin - that would be hilarious.
    Emily Bronte/Jane Austen
    Aristotle
    A really big rock legend - like Jimmy Hendrix or something.
    Gandhi
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Albert Einstein (in a proper episode other than that short clip)

I was going to say Einstein, I didn't realise he'd been in a clip. I just watched it, it seems like a pretty wasted opportunity :( Hopefully we'll see him again.
    Da Vinci in a proper episode would also be cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Boudica (formerly known as Boudicea)
    Florence Nightingale
    Cleopatra
    Mary Seacole
    Marie Curie
    Dorothy Parker
    Ayesha (She who must be obeyed (fictional!))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OpEd wrote: »
    Has the Doctor ever met Fatima? Or her papa?

That would surely make for some light-hearted fun for everyone what ever they did with it.

How about Graham Chapman? Frank Herbert? Rosalind Franklin? Has the Doctor ever met any of them?

Do you mean Mr Whitbread? :D
    ...or more likely, the other one....?
    ... from 7th century.

Anyway, I'd like him to see Julius Caesar, perhaps capture the Tardis, then have him build his famous bridge across the Rhine trying to find it again or something? Or go looking for it across the channel in Britain?

Heron of Alexandria. Maybe he could get some of his ideas from them talking together.

Similarly with Archemedes,

The was a Scottish King who died somewhat mysteriously- Alexander the 3rd. He was riding in bad weather during the night, became separated from his entourage, and basically vanished. The next day his body was discovered. It seemed he fell off a cliff and broke his neck. Maybe something else happend ( in the whoniverse at least)?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's very clever when real people who have disappeared are incorporated into DW stories - Henry Avery, Nefertiti, Agatha Christie and the crew of the Marie Celeste spring to mind.

There are lots of people whose disappearance could feature in DW - Amelia Earhart has been mentioned. The Princes in the Tower, Ambrose Bierce, John Cabot, Glenn Miller, Shergar (not strictly a person) are others. Maybe not Lord Lucan, though.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Lord Lucan- I said he should meet the Doctor on the moon somewhere on here a while ago:) hehe... I wasn't really serious but it would be funny to just 'bump in to' certain people like that for a 5 second moment on screen here and there:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to say Einstein, I didn't realise he'd been in a clip. I just watched it, it seems like a pretty wasted opportunity :( Hopefully we'll see him again.
    Da Vinci in a proper episode would also be cool.

I think that episode was written by children... for a competition they won.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't the Amelia Earhart "disappearance" done in Star Trek Voyager once? It would be good to see a Doctor Who take on it. It would be good to see him meet a young Elvis Presley and possibly JFK too.

And to properly see him with Henry VIII and given the recent discovery of his bones, Richard III.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Logie Baird, and help him invent TV.

Captain James Cook at the North pole and find a reason why he walked outside.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that comment about Newton and apples wasn't trying to suggest Newton came up with his theory on gravity because a apple hit him on the head.

Also what is so funny about Euclid's work?

As for the people I want to see in Doctor Who
    Newton
    Einstein
    Dirac
    Turing
    Black, Merton & Scholes
    Lord Kelvin
    Maxwell
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see him caught up in the madness that was the Indian Mutiny...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    John Logie Baird, and help him invent TV.

Captain James Cook at the North pole and find a reason why he walked outside.

Yeah that WOULD be an amazing historical episode:) hehe

I think you mean Captain Scott at the South Pole?

Although something weird and anomalous would be really cool, like if maybe he landed he Tardis and there actually WAS captain cook at the north pole, so we have to figure out how and why they are there.