Options

Apple getting desperate

Comments

• Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    What colourful language? you quoted a phrase from the website followed by your tongue out so what did you think that showed everyone? I'm not following :confused:
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like an iPhone 5 running Jelly Bean (and thats not taking the piss, i really would)
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC: 'Apple brand less 'inspiring', survey says'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21857393

I get a feeling of deja vu - it is almost like an echo of the events of late 1980's.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was in reply to Mr Cool's post criticising what Apple had written about the iPhone camera on that web page.

"Did they create a page full of bullshit stating that for example the S4 has a unique camera and call it 'S-Sight'? No they didn't."

Kind of they did, unless things like Apple's i this and i that is bullshit, but Samsung's s this and s that is all fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC: 'Apple brand less 'inspiring', survey says'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21857393

I get a feeling of deja vu - it is almost like an echo of the events of late 1980's.

Thing is with that article, what do people expect?

This quote sums it up:

"Apple's reputation for market-leading innovation took a knock after the iPhone 5 was seen as an iteration of an earlier design rather than a characteristic step-change."

As I said above, the revolution in phones to touch screen smart phones has happened now.

What sort of revolutionary step change in phones do people expect (from any company) now that we have powerful mini computers with touch screens in the palm of our hands?

To me, this whole "evolution not revolution" schtick has become incredibly tired, journalistically. (And I say that in respect to tech generally, not just in reference to phones or Apple.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    It was in reply to Mr Cool's post criticising what Apple had written about the iPhone camera on that web page.

"Did they create a page full of bullshit stating that for example the S4 has a unique camera and call it 'S-Sight'? No they didn't."

Kind of they did, unless things like Apple's i this and i that is bullshit, but Samsung's s this and s that is all fine.

But again what similarity have you noticed I don't follow?

The listen to your photos phrase you quoted is about the ability to capture audio with a photo so how is that similar to apples exaggerated claims.

You have me very confused perhaps you can claify.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're missing my point. I don't have a problem with anything on Samsung's sight.

I'm wondering what the problem is with what Apple have posted about the iPhone camera on the Why iPhone page:

"The iSight camera on iPhone is the world’s most popular camera. It’s an amazing camera that’s always in your pocket. And while other smartphones simply tout large amounts of megapixels, taking great pictures is about so much more. The 8MP camera on iPhone 5 captures great photo data, and the hardware and software work together to make behind-the-scenes image and color adjustments. So it’s easy for anyone to take impressive photos in various lighting conditions."
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    But again what similarity have you noticed I don't follow?

The listen to your photos phrase you quoted is about the ability to capture audio with a photo so how is that similar to apples exaggerated claims.

You have me very confused perhaps you can claify.

At least there is an audio attachment. Apples BS version was like last year when they said your children will look happier in photos taken with an iPhone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least there is an audio attachment. Apples BS version was like last year when they said your children will look happier in photos taken with an iPhone.

Yes, that was an actual thing that Apple claimed to be a feature.

It absolutely wasn't a throwaway joke made by Schiller.

Sense of humour? Anybody?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Like this microsite?

"Don’t just look at your photos, hear what they have to say"!

:p

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with marketing - but this incessant notion that when Apple do it, its some sort of heinous underhand skullduggery is complete nonsense.

Then what was the purpose of the first post here then even more :confused: now. It seemed to me you had some point with the :p - perhaps I have got this wrong and you posted it for no reason at all? is that the case?
    You're missing my point. I don't have a problem with anything on Samsung's sight.

I'm wondering what the problem is with what Apple have posted about the iPhone camera on the Why iPhone page:

"The iSight camera on iPhone is the world’s most popular camera. It’s an amazing camera that’s always in your pocket. And while other smartphones simply tout large amounts of megapixels, taking great pictures is about so much more. The 8MP camera on iPhone 5 captures great photo data, and the hardware and software work together to make behind-the-scenes image and color adjustments. So it’s easy for anyone to take impressive photos in various lighting conditions."

Claiming it as the worlds most popular camera is a little rich is it not? It alludes people have chosen to buy this camera rather than it coming with a phone. On that basis an actual camera could not claim to come in the top 10 or 30 of world sales very silly. In fact apple will probably sue any camera maker who claims to have the best selling camera.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please don't criticise the Samsung S4 marketing, you will hurt the phones feelings:). After all, it is "a real life companion" (quoted from the S4 micro site):)
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple's latest iPhone 5 e-mail just appeared in my inbox - "How will you love it? Let us count the ways."

Pretty much the same stuff as Apple's web site. It is quite entertaining watching the current marketing war, makes a change from suing each other :)
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple's latest iPhone 5 e-mail just appeared in my inbox - "How will you love it? Let us count the ways."

1. We tell you you have one year warranty and sell you the 2nd year AppleCare and you do not realise you are entitled to 2 years warranty for free? You are our perfect customer!

2. You do not realise that 'iPhone is the only phone with a Retina display' is a bullshit of a highest order? True, when talking lawyerspeak, but not defacto. We brainwashed you well. You _are_ our perfect customer!

I do not know, even the PR sucks after Jobs had died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then what was the purpose of the first post here then even more :confused: now. It seemed to me you had some point with the :p - perhaps I have got this wrong and you posted it for no reason at all? is that the case?

Claiming it as the worlds most popular camera is a little rich is it not? It alludes people have chosen to buy this camera rather than it coming with a phone. On that basis an actual camera could not claim to come in the top 10 or 30 of world sales very silly. In fact apple will probably sue any camera maker who claims to have the best selling camera.

Not really - it specifically mentions how they have qualified that, ie the number of photos uploaded to Flikr.

It's up to you if you want to read any more into that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really - it specifically mentions how they have qualified that, ie the number of photos uploaded to Flikr.

It's up to you if you want to read any more into that.

pop·u·lar
    adjective
    to favor, approval, or affection by people in general:

The camera most used possibly but most popular alluding chosen out of choice I think not.

And my first point then? or you just going to pretend you never posted that ;)
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did they claim anything is the most popular with no evidence to back it up? No.

Also, they haven't claimed that only their phone has certain features which other manufacturers have overtaken (unlike Apple, with the Retina claims).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    I'd like an iPhone 5 running Jelly Bean (and thats not taking the piss, i really would)

But why? I don't really think it looks good compared with other Android phones. Also, it's build quality has been matched by a range of competitors and it's specifications have also been beaten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Did they claim anything is the most popular with no evidence to back it up? No.

Also, they haven't claimed that only their phone has certain features which other manufacturers have overtaken (unlike Apple, with the Retina claims).

The post I replied to was about the camera.

Apple did not claim it was the most popular with no evidence to back it up.

They specifically qualified that statement with the number of photos uploaded to Flickr.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pop·u·lar
    adjective
    to favor, approval, or affection by people in general:

The camera most used possibly but most popular alluding chosen out of choice I think not.

And my first point then? or you just going to pretend you never posted that ;)

You're overanalysing purposely to find pedantic fault.

I already answered that in post 230.

If you want to over analyse the use of light hearted, throwaway smilies, go right ahead.

But if we're on points being ignored, are we ignoring the point about how Apple don't even suggest exclusivity with regards high res displays, with this text:

"The Retina display on iPhone ushered in the era of super-high-resolution displays."
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if we're on points being ignored, are we ignoring the point about how Apple don't even suggest exclusivity with regards high res displays, with this text:

Don't be silly. Of course they suggest exclusivity.

Big bold headline "only the iphone has the Retina display". And in the text ". In fact, once you see a Retina display, you’re never satisfied with anything less. Yet it remains a feature found only on iPhone and other Apple products."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The post I replied to was about the camera.

Apple did not claim it was the most popular with no evidence to back it up.

They specifically qualified that statement with the number of photos uploaded to Flickr.

But they did. They said it was the world's most popular camera and used Flickr (an unreliable source) to try and back it up. I'm sure a photographers first choice would not be an iPhone 5 as there are better quality cameras available. I am aware they don't represent the whole market but they are a sizeable chunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're overanalysing purposely to find pedantic fault.

I already answered that in post 230.

If you want to over analyse the use of light hearted, throwaway smilies, go right ahead.

Nothing pedantic about it - you haven't answered at all haven't explained why you quoted that phrase followed by sticky out tongue.

What you mean is you thought you had quoted some apple like nonsense and now realise it actually meant something and wish you hadn't posted it :D don't worry not the first time you got things completely wrong.

As for you icamera nonsense they haven't backed it up with facts .. popular means chosen by people, preferred, the fact it is used the most because (if the case) there is no other choice being attached to the phone ... to claim otherwise is ludicrous even for you.

Is fuel duty the most popular tax in UK?
    Is blue the most popular colour for the sky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it depends on how literally you want to take a specific meaning of "popular".

I don't think saying it is the most popular source of photos on Flickr is that outrageous.

People are choosing to take photos and post them to Flickr in a sense that I don't think applies to fuel duty or the colour of the sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends on how literally you want to take a specific meaning of "popular".

I don't think saying it is the most popular source of photos on Flickr is that outrageous.

People are choosing to take photos and post them to Flickr in a sense that I don't think applies to fuel duty or the colour of the sky.

They said it was the world's most popular camera. Not the world's most popular on Flickr. They just tried to back up their argument. Flickr isn't an accurate source because only a select few use it.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whilst I think its fair enough to claim the most used cameras, a quick glance of Flickr shows that in fact Apple is only the 3rd most popular 'brand' of camera on there. Simply, there are far too many different Canons and Nikons (over 100 of each) for any one to be head and shoulders above everything else, with Apple, there are only 3 models really in contention, and only 12 in total.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras

Would be very interested to know what the big spike was in iphone Flickr uploads was. Looks like it was around Autumn last year - new Flickr app?