Options

Samsung Galaxy S4

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact they should have relaunched it the S3.5.
    It has the biggest fundamental shift since the old iPod added phone call ability.

Full HD, that very first use of Big Little architecture and the new graphics means it is very little like the S3.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It has the biggest fundamental shift since the old iPod added phone call ability.

Full HD, that very first use of Big Little architecture and the new graphics means it is very little like the S3.

I think his point was that its very much a hardware upgrade rather than a completely new design. Like the iPhone 4 vs the iPhone 4S.

It's essentially an S3 with a better screen and faster processor (not that thats a bad thing) but it's no where near as big a shift as the iPod was to the IPhone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TGFT

There is less point in having something that becomes last years fashion.
    Must also be why they are sticking with removable batteries and memory.

High heels are fashion and still sell, so I must admit, the fashion phones won't ever disappear.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Other phones have had Full HD before the S4, so that is just Samsung keeping up more than anything else.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if there is a noticeable difference in performance between the two versions, I'll be not impressed having to 'settle' for the lower powered version...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it actually been confirmed that the UK will get the quad-core version though?
  • Options
    Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This taken by an expert in the mobile phone world.
    This is embarrassing! the "best device" mean't to be for 2013 with terrible 2012 GPU! Adreno 320 graphics are terrible. iPhone 5 GPU already destroys Adreno 320 already. so iPhone 5S & iPhone 6 GPU will totally embarrass the GPU in the S4. Samsung will release the Octa Core with the Great PowerVR SGX544MP3 Graphics in Korea to suit them. but it will only backfire on them cause now Every 2013 device will have alot better GPU than S4. cause where every 2013 device will have new GPU S4 will have a terrible 2012 GPU. I am so disappointed. I was going to buy the S4 cause I was so excited to get the Octa Core with the fast graphics. But now I'm not away to pay £529 for a shitty Only Snapdragon 600 with terrible Graphics. if it was the Snapdragon 800 yeah. but I'm not buying the S4 with that CPU & GPU. now Samsung will lose alot of buyers for that and I HOPE THEY DO. Apple will be laughing and so they should be cause Galaxy S4 was mean't to be best 2013 device but its coming with 2012 GPU! If i was LG, And Especially Apple I'd be laughing. can't wait for LG Optimus G2

So there you have, not really an improvement at all.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, thats a deal breaker for me then. I was considering getting a PAYG and plugging my contract sim in it. But no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I mean the whole selling point is that it has an octacore processor which gives it the excellent benchmark tests that it has against its rivals. They haven't benched the quad core version yet but as its only clocked at 1.9ghz I can't see it performing near as well although most users won't notice the difference in everyday use its still not a great selling point, especially as early indications are this will retail at £530 sim free. A lot of money for a vastly inferior phone compared to the model available in nearly every other country.

If that was the case then why would they bother even putting an octocore anywhere else? It seems a massive waste in investment of R&D if customers wouldn't even notice it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why does an expert write like a 13 year old?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »

probably in frustration like many others would be when they get their hopes on a phone that was advertised to the world in big fashion last week only to find out a week later that its a vastly inferior version. Just because someone doesn't care too much about their literacy does not take away their knowledge in the field. His opinion >>>>>>>>> yours! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that was the case then why would they bother even putting an octocore anywhere else? It seems a massive waste in investment of R&D if customers wouldn't even notice it.

Money, probably. It was already announced that the octacore version costs considerably more to manufacture than the previous S3 and given the fact that the phone is very popular in the UK they probably felt that they could make this phone cheaper and maximise their profits. Can't really be any other reason why they would have 2 completely different hardware based phones unless it was to do with money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably in frustration like many others would be when they get their hopes on a phone that was advertised to the world in big fashion last week only to find out a week later that its a vastly inferior version. Just because someone doesn't care too much about their literacy does not take away their knowledge in the field. His opinion >>>>>>>>> yours! ;)

perhaps if you could link to this master in mobile technology we could judge for ourselves. I must have missed him being interviewed by the BBC about his cutting edge analysis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money, probably. It was already announced that the octacore version costs considerably more to manufacture than the previous S3 and given the fact that the phone is very popular in the UK they probably felt that they could make this phone cheaper and maximise their profits. Can't really be any other reason why they would have 2 completely different hardware based phones unless it was to do with money.

Sorry but i must have not phrased what i meant very well.

I know it would have cost loads to R&D octocore, so why did they even spend so much researching it if the customer wouldn't even notice a difference when they got it, outside the UK?

Your last point though isn't true. S3 has a different spec in the US to ROW because of patent infringement in the US so it had to have a special lower spec.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Cant be an expert if he claims the 320 gfx are terrible!!
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow, thats a deal breaker for me then. I was considering getting a PAYG and plugging my contract sim in it. But no.

I do love Samsung products, but sadly don't see the point in getting the S4 now that it has been revealed about the processor. The thought of having the Octacore to spread the use of apps & saving power, sounded great. But seeing as the CPU is only a fraction faster over the S3, things like the bigger screen, don't really appeal to me as such & the other things are gimmicks that I would no doubt get bored of & I don't take that many photographs to need a 13mp camera. Yes the S4 has a bigger battery, but a 3100mah battery can be bought for the S3 at a price of £20, a few friends have these & they work great.

As they say in Dragons Den, for that I'm out :(. Back to the drawing board now, I may not choose to upgrade now & just cancel 1 of the lines on the contract.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love Samsung products, but sadly don't see the point in getting the S4 now that it has been revealed about the processor. The thought of having the Octacore to spread the use of apps & saving power, sounded great. But seeing as the CPU is only a fraction faster over the S3, things like the bigger screen, don't really appeal to me as such & the other things are gimmicks that I would no doubt get bored of & I don't take that many photographs to need a 13mp camera. Yes the S4 has a bigger battery, but a 3100mah battery can be bought for the S3 at a price of £20, a few friends have these & they work great.

As they say in Dragons Den, for that I'm out :(. Back to the drawing board now, I may not choose to upgrade now & just cancel 1 of the lines on the contract.

To be fair it's quite a bit faster than an S3 http://9to5google.com/2013/03/18/the-samsung-galaxy-s4s1-9ghz-snapdragon-600-doubles-geekbench-score-of-iphone-5-and-blackberry-z10/ but I do agree that it's nothing amazing.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I mean the whole selling point is that it has an octacore processor which gives it the excellent benchmark tests that it has against its rivals.
    Which benchmarks are you talking about?

Zack06 wrote: »
    Other phones have had Full HD before the S4, so that is just Samsung keeping up more than anything else.
    That's got nothing to do with the point at hand which was what the differences between the S3 and S4 are, not what the differences between the S4 and other brands' flagships are.

paulbrock wrote: »
    Probably because they are.

I spent about 5-6 hours hands-on with a (pre-production) Galaxy S4 today.
    All this talk of it just being an S3S or an S3.5 is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    That's got nothing to do with the point at hand which was what the differences between the S3 and S4 are, not what the differences between the S4 and other brands' flagships are.

Well considering that some people have been vehemently pushing the notion that apparently, "pentile doesn't matter at these resolutions", if that were indeed true, I'm failing to see why the bump in screen resolution is really that big an improvement from the S3 to the S4. :)
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Well considering that some people have been vehemently pushing the notion that apparently, "pentile doesn't matter at these resolutions", if that were indeed true, I'm failing to see why the bump in screen resolution is really that big an improvement from the S3 to the S4. :)
    The resolution has increased from 720HD to 1080HD.
    No matter what you choose to think, that's just as big a step up as it is for any other manufacturer, pentile has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The resolution has increased from 720HD to 1080HD.
    No matter what you choose to think, that's just as big a step up as it is for any other manufacturer, pentile has nothing to do with it.

On the micro site it's described as incredibly wide full HD and super wide full HD. Are they different to 'normal' full HD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    On the micro site it's described as incredibly wide full HD and super wide full HD. Are they different to 'normal' full HD?

Now being 5" just maybe the Incredible Super screen is one up from the great, super screen of the S3.

Of course,using the term 'retina' would have got a super poke in the eye.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Good marketing - gets the punters in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

They don't say that. they say

"incredibly wide FULL HD Super AMOLED screen"

the screen is incredibly wide. (possibly slightly subjective, but at 5" a fairly reasonable claim)

the screen is FULL HD.

the screen is Super AMOLED.

likewise, they say its a "super wide FULL HD screen".

If they said a FULL HD incredibly wide screen, you'd be suggesting that FULL HD referred to the width I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I spent about 5-6 hours hands-on with a (pre-production) Galaxy S4 today.

Spill ;)

what did you think?