Options

Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    1) Guy who got through from Northern Ireland
    2) Her
    3)Nan's roast dinner guy or little Max Branning who avoided the brief at all costs from last week.

is that ray and his titanic?
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's nowhere near the level of Chris Horrid (if anyone remembers him), or Johnny Mountain.

And in general chef terms, she has a long way to go before she get's to Tom Kitchen

Ho yes.
    Poor TheLovelyElisha :cry:
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galton Blackiston (first two series) must be near the top of the list of least likeable contestants.

ARRGH GALTON!!! Driving me mad on BBC 2 at 6.30 this week. I was just counting this year but Galton would be right up there overall.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galton Blackiston (first two series) must be near the top of the list of least likeable contestants.

Galton did redeem himself with a lovely live Q&A session on the message board - he stayed on for ages until all the questions were answered.
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    is that ray and his titanic?

That's the fella. I am terrible at remembering names.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    oh, cottage pie, same thing different meat. Still not exactly banquet food though.

Nigel had his Hot Pot at the banquet though, and Mark Hix the Stargazy pie.
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    Ho yes.
    Poor TheLovelyElijah :cry:

Elisha. But I agree, i've always wished he'd come back in a Horridge free year.
  • Options
    guy60guy60 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Painful to watch this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elisha. But I agree, i've always wished he'd come back in a Horridge free year.

I always get it wrong :o
    I'd love to see him back.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    oh dear the humour element hasn't made it to the plate....

Luke's food reminds me of many local restaurants were the chefs have watched too many programmes with 3 michelin star chefs and try to do too much and it ends up not working

Absolutely agree. I think he needs to take a step back and concentrate on getting the basics right. He seems to have convinced himself that people will be impressed by the number of ingredients he uses, and has forgotten that they need to work well together.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nigel had his Hot Pot at the banquet though, and Mark Hix the Stargazy pie.
    There's nowt wrong with a pie but some of these chefs are not just making a bog standard pie that a family would be happy with...or even something of bistro standard.

It was mentioned earlier but I had a look on her webiste and two of her dishes are on the menu so she must have a lot of practice.
    Also on another website it says she is part of the slow cooking movement so no wonder to see so many slow cooked / braised / stewed dishes on her menu.
    Pea Mousse & Carmarthen Ham
    pea & shallot salad
    Trio of Welsh Beef
    roasted fillet, cottage pie and a "bonbon", served with carrots & fine beans
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    oh, cottage pie, same thing different meat. Still not exactly banquet food though.

With witty pastry horns, though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There's nowt wrong with a pie but some of these chefs are not just making a bog standard pie that a family would be happy with...or even something of bistro standard.

It was mentioned earlier but I had a look on her webiste and two of her dishes are on the menu so she must have a lot of practice.
    Also on another website it says she is part of the slow cooking movement so no wonder to see so many slow cooked / braised / stewed dishes on her menu.

True.

Have to say the clips of the meat in the pan - it did look rather ... grey ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With witty pastry horns, though :D

Speaks volumes that the wittiest thing in three "Comic Relief" dishes was a couple of cut-out pastry horns! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ARRGH GALTON!!! Driving me mad on BBC 2 at 6.30 this week. I was just counting this year but Galton would be right up there overall.
    Galton did redeem himself with a lovely live Q&A session on the message board - he stayed on for ages until all the questions were answered.
    Galton didn't come across well on the programme. I think it was one of his first appearances on camera.

He then became more comfortable on camera and appeared on Market Kitchen and some other shows and came across a lot better.

Then though I feel he became too comfortable with tv and sometimes acted like a dick again.
    I guess if you know him then you would understand his sense of humour etc. but for people who may be seeing you for the first time then it can leave a bad first impression.
    Hey, he won't be the first guest who has had the same experience.

One of the things that put me off was that when certain chefs got together it became a kind of a boys club.

A good example of this was on Saturday Kitchen when James Martin, Glyn Purnell and Galton were on and all acting like schoolboys.
    Martin was throwing pans about (not literally but being rough with them) and also teatowels.
    Gyln was laughing and joking about

and so was Galton before he put his foot in it and made a comment about Japanese Wagu beef not having slanty eyes :eek:
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,646
    Forum Member
    Least favourite contestant? Claire forget her surname - studied under Ramsay? Came in full of confidence, got stuffed by chefs she obviously thought she was far superior too.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy is really quite sneery and unpleasant at times, especially to the young chef.

And he doesn't get the brief at all.

Do not like!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Galton didn't come across well on the programme. I think it was one of his first appearances on camera.

He then became more comfortable on camera and appeared on Market Kitchen and some other shows and came across a lot better.

Then though I feel he became too comfortable with tv and sometimes acted like a dick again.
    I guess if you know him then you would understand his sense of humour etc. but for people who may be seeing you for the first time then it can leave a bad first impression.
    Hey, he won't be the first guest who has had the same experience.

One of the things that put me off was that when certain chefs got together it became a kind of a boys club.

A good example of this was on Saturday Kitchen when James Martin, Glyn Purnell and Galton were on and all acting like schoolboys.
    Martin was throwing pans about (not literally but being rough with them) and also teatowels.
    Gyln was laughing and joking about

and so was Galton before he put his foot in it and made a comment about Japanese Wagu beef not having slanty eyes :eek:

Oh God I remember this. What a plonker, it was all going so well.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Least favourite contestant? Claire forget her surname - studied under Ramsay? Came in full of confidence, got stuffed by chefs she obviously thought she was far superior too.

She is shy and was nervous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Smyth

I liked her :o
    Not easy being a girl in the kitchen and is head chef at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay - so is none too shabby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Clare Smyth

If you're the head chef of a 3* restaurant then you're going to have some confidence.
    Hitting the brief is a different thing though.

There are some chefs who live for competitions. Simon Hulstone is a perfect example and yet he didn't progress in this comp.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Galton fan - I really like him... and his food, which is the relevant thing. ETA: didn't see the Wagu beef faux pas. <blink!>

I remember him on the Beeb food messageboard - a Q&A session after Saturday Kitchen, I think. He only got through maybe a dozen questions immediately after the show but around the following Wednesday (mid-week, anyway) he reappeared on the thread and proceeded to answer all the questions he hadn't time for after the show. I think he's a nice and totally genuine guy... but perhaps his style isn't middle of the road enough to appeal to a majority.

Chris Horrid mentioned upthread... yeah, I remember him too... couldn't stand him and didn't fancy his food either.

I've been fascinated to see that the comments I made about Mary Ann the other night to my OH have pretty much been replicated above. Her style of food does appeal to me (she does not) but she is out of her depth on GBM. Though many of the dishes served this series have been out of their depth. Not the show's finest hour and I think it's time to pack it away in a box... for a few years if not forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tomorrow, Richard could buy a "99" from a passing ice-cream van, submit that, and still walk the competition! Doesn't say much for "Mad Mary" and "The Tin-Can Teenie"!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Thought I would do a (not so) minute by minute review and snark.

-Dont bother watching the first two minutes of the episode, its going to tell me what I already know and more then likely spoil a surprise. Really dont know understand this idea of showing people everything there about to see right out the gate-

2:10 - First up is Richard Davies, who according to Narrator has been making Jeremy "smile" with his "cutting edge" dishes. puh-lease

3:06 - Jeremy asks whether there is a comic element to Davies dish, he replies with 'Its a serious piece of cooking with playful presentation. No then. Ah I see, a porcelain pig. Well done Richard.

3:55 - *pah*double double toil and trouble*pah*, its Mary-Ann. With a dish that includes her mothers cottage and 'witty pastry horns'?, the announcer is having to work over time to sound enthused.

4:52 - The baby faced assassin Luke arrives on scene.Jeremy for some reason has a real downer on him about Luke, it could be that Luke thinks merely interacting with something holds comedic merit.

7:00 - The chefs seem intrigued by Mary-Anns use of cottage pie. Luke has a dig by exclaiming 'You cant beat a classic'. Quite clearly you can.

7:30 - Its very tense in the kitchen according to Richard Davies, you wouldnt know it from his cool, calm, dare I say lobotomised way of addressing the camera.

Ahh I dont know if i can carry on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_X_123 wrote: »
    Jeremy is really quite sneery and unpleasant at times, especially to the young chef.

And he doesn't get the brief at all.

Do not like!
    Some of his looks and comments to young gun seem quite sinister.
    It's like he's trying to deliberately rattle him of make him uncomfortable.
    Maybe he's taken a shine to him and is testing out his resolve.