Options

Giving Up Booze

Comments

• Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drink a bottle of vodka on a Monday, Thursday and Saturday. I drink a half bottle of vodka on a Tuesday and Sunday (basically drinking whats left)

I know I drink too much, but I enjoy it too much to stop.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I drink a bottle of vodka on a Monday, Thursday and Saturday. I drink a half bottle of vodka on a Tuesday and Sunday (basically drinking whats left)

What about Wednesday. Is that a dry day or do you go swimming.
  • Options
    scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have thought about this for a while and was wondering if any of you have done this with any success?

Is it just a case of willpower or did you need help giving it up for good?

Also if you have stopped then how do you to resist the temptation of drinking again?

Lack of money..
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    For some people it can be psychologically important to have a few beers after a stressful day. Nothing else relaxes me quite like it. Any worries just melt away for a few hours. Perhaps a few bottles a night is bad for you physically in the long run, but if it helps you cope with the stresses of life, it can be an adequate trade off.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not hard giving up. i gave it up 100s of times.

I am now on a whisky diet. I lost 2 days last week :D
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't drink at all and it amazes me the amount of people who think I must be an alcoholic. I used to go out and have a few drinks at the weekend but stopped when my kids were born and just never started again. I'm quite happy being able to have a good night but without feeling rough the next day. The downside is that people think I have a drink problem :(
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keep a diary. One that has the 7 days over each page. Plan to start with 4 drink free days leaving 3 days to drink each week. At the end of each day write down exactly what you have drank or not that day. At the end of the week on the Sunday evening review what you did. With the evidence written down in front of you can see how your week went and feel good with the drink free days.
    After say a month cut down to 5 drink free days and carry this on till you are having drink free weeks or months.
    It's a way to take control over what you are doing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3.5 bottles of Vodka a week says addiction to me.
  • Options
    jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For any of you wondering if you should give up / cut down try and imagine this scenario.

I am currently in the situation where my mother has been told she's at end stage liver disease - her liver is cirrhotic after years of daily drinking - never getting fall down drunk just daily habit of sipping from a glass at her side from 11am to 9pm every day.

She is currently in hospital, a horrible browny yellow colour, eyes sunken and cracked and bleeding from the corner of her eyes. She's lost a lot of her hair. Her arms and legs are like sticks but her tummy is full of fluid so she genuinely looks like someone from Belsen. Her skin is breaking down and she's in a nappy as the drugs they are giving her to flush out her bowel are constantly running from here - she's also full of sores in this area.

And even after all this she still doesnt see what the problem is and can't wait to get out of hospital to start all over again.

And the family are living with this. So control yourself because it very rarely ends well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jessmum wrote: »
    For any of you wondering if you should give up / cut down try and imagine this scenario.

I am currently in the situation where my mother has been told she's at end stage liver disease - her liver is cirrhotic after years of daily drinking - never getting fall down drunk just daily habit of sipping from a glass at her side from 11am to 9pm every day.

She is currently in hospital, a horrible browny yellow colour, eyes sunken and cracked and bleeding from the corner of her eyes. She's lost a lot of her hair. Her arms and legs are like sticks but her tummy is full of fluid so she genuinely looks like someone from Belsen. Her skin is breaking down and she's in a nappy as the drugs they are giving her to flush out her bowel are constantly running from here - she's also full of sores in this area.

And even after all this she still doesnt see what the problem is and can't wait to get out of hospital to start all over again.

And the family are living with this. So control yourself because it very rarely ends well.

What you describe is addiction and it's a little unfair for you to use this scenario for a reason for people to cut down/give up. A rather sensationalist approach, if you will. Alcohol, in moderation is perfectly fine with some claiming that some types of alcohol is actually beneficial to a persons health.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't drink at all and it amazes me the amount of people who think I must be an alcoholic. I used to go out and have a few drinks at the weekend but stopped when my kids were born and just never started again. I'm quite happy being able to have a good night but without feeling rough the next day. The downside is that people think I have a drink problem :(

I don't understand. Why would people think you are an alcoholic if you don't drink at all? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I don't understand. Why would people think you are an alcoholic if you don't drink at all? :confused:

Because many alcoholics don't drink and many also drink in private or try to hide their addiction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I used to go out drinking a few times a week but having been out last week, there was no one in the pub apart from us. Every other pub we went to was quiet too. The atmosphere was just really down and made us all want to go for a coffee or to the cinema instead. The allure of pub going has well and truly worn off, especially when there's hardly anyone in them and the atmosphere is dull beyond compare.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people see alcoholism as an illnesses one that you never are cured from and remain a recovering alcoholic even when you no longer drink.
  • Options
    jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    What you describe is addiction and it's a little unfair for you to use this scenario for a reason for people to cut down/give up. A rather sensationalist approach, if you will. Alcohol, in moderation is perfectly fine with some claiming that some types of alcohol is actually beneficial to a persons health.

Yes, and that addiction started with social drinking and thinking she could control it. Alcohol addiction is insidious and is slow creeping until it takes over your life. It has to start somewhere.

It was this type of ignorance that has kept my mother drinking for all these years. Most symptoms of liver failure dont appear until pretty much end stage - my mother always said that she was in control and she could stop at any time she wished.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing; drink in moderation is fine. Buy a wine bottle sealer and a pump so that you can close half a bottle off rather than drinking it all, and finish it a day or two later. Little & often is better than blitzing it, but a little occasionally is better. No need to give up completely though.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »

people I haven't met before seem to assume because I don't drink at all, it must be because I have had a drink problem previously. I have actually been congratulated because giving up the booze "isn't easy". One guy just couldn't accept that I'm not a recovering alcoholic and just kept telling me that it was okay and I shouldn't be ashamed of it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    people I haven't met before seem to assume because I don't drink at all, it must be because I have had a drink problem previously. I have actually been congratulated because giving up the booze "isn't easy". One guy just couldn't accept that I'm not a recovering alcoholic and just kept telling me that it was okay and I shouldn't be ashamed of it!

Ah, I get you. That's annoying. A lot of people seem to seriously struggle to accept some people think differently to them. I'm so used to hearing different opinions now that I ignore all my initial feelings of doubt and just accept some peoples thought processes are vastly different to mine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be Ramit Ballsdeep. :D

No, in Glasgow Baws = balls. :D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    No, in Glasgow Baws = balls. :D

So, essentially, all in all, a load of balls.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    Some people see alcoholism as an illnesses one that you never are cured from and remain a recovering alcoholic even when you no longer drink.

hello :)
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    DIALOGUE BETWEEN A LADY INTERVIEWER AND A MALE BEER DRINKER:

Lady Interviewer: Do you drink every day?

Man: Yes.

Lady Interviewer: How much a day?

Man: Around 3 six-packs starting at noon.

Lady Interviewer: How much does a 6-pack cost?

Man: Roughly $10.00 at a deli.

Lady Interviewer: And how long have you been drinking like that?

Man: 15 years.

Lady Interviewer: So with a six-pack costing $10.00, and you consuming 3 six-packs a day, you are spending roughly $900 each month. In one year, you would then be spending $10,800, correct?

Man: Correct.

Lady Interviewer: If in 1 year you spend $10,800 on beer, not accounting for inflation, 15 years puts your spending roughly $162,000; correct?

Man: Correct.

Lady Interviewer: Did it ever occur to you that if you did not drink for the last 15 years, you could have bought a Ferrari?

Man: Do you drink?

Lady Interviewer: No.

Man: So where's your f……' Ferrari?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I must admit I really can't stand the smug/knowing little looks when I say I don't drink anymore. I did used to drink a bit too much but wasn't an alcoholic - I chose to stop - I made the decision.

Actually it makes me laugh really - sometimes I think it's very much a kettle/pot situation.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to cope with stress without alcohol. I do worry that I might already have caused irreparable damage, but that just makes me more stressed, so that I need a drink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    I find it hard to cope with stress without alcohol. I do worry that I might already have caused irreparable damage, but that just makes me more stressed, so that I need a drink.

The liver is one organ that has remarkable powers of regenerating - if you have no symptoms of severe liver damage you really can expect your liver to 'cleanse' and rejuvinate very quickly - don't be put off giving it a go.