Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    I think Ellie's husband, Joe, could turn out to be the father of the baby Beth is carrying. In fact, he said tonight he came down to Dorset thirteen years ago, so could possibly be Danny's father? Actually scrub that, it's a bit too soap opera.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    My theory is that Ellie's husband was sexually abusing his son. The son relayed this information onto Danny via computer and via text messaging as they shared a lot between themselves. Danny confronted the post man bloke (I think he was bald?) and threatened that he was going to tell his parents/police? At which point husband killed him somehow that evening, perhaps luring him out with his own sons phone to "meet" and "skateboard" and then offing him? There was the scene when they break the news to the son and rather than comfort him the dad seemed to squeeze on his wrist? But maybe I was reading too much into that.

But then there are so many other loose ends.

Also guys, at the end Ellie mentioned a previous KILLING, not a previous sexual assault. It's still a red herring IMO, but yeah, it was a similar killing in Yorkshire near where Jack used to live.

Lot's of plotlines and loopholes that I can't quite fill yet though if indeed I'm anywhere near.

Also, something which wasn't mentioned on here and I have no idea how important it was (there seems to be a lot of these moments, in terms of they way they were framed) - but dad's mate when the journalists were turning up, was filmed with a camera inside the van, (e.g to give you the perspective of what he was doing inside the van) - as they spoke to him, he pulled a blanket over a crossbow - again, no idea if that means anything but the director clearly meant to show it.

Cheers for all the discussion on here so far by the way guys I log on each week afterwards to see your theories (mine is partially constructed from a few on here with my own crap thrown into the mix :D )

Really enjoying it myself though.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,597
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or have most of the cast given up on the Dorset accent. I didn't notice it as much last night :D

Not sure why Alex got so angry with the psychic as Danny's mother wanted his help .. any help is better than none.
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    True.

I think another FM has already suggested it is going to turn out like Murder on the Orient Express - they ALL did it. :D

Thanks, I've not seen that yet!
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly14 wrote: »
    Not watched tonight's yet but every week we say, "Olivia Colman's husband did it" no idea why, just think he did.
    Yeah, we said the same. The way he made Alec drink that wine in tonight's ep, I thought he was going to start pumping him for information.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k9fan
    We went to Broadchurch today - I mean where it was filmed Lovely scenery, but a biting cold wind.

Hope Rory is in the programme this evening.

Quote:
    Yes, he was.

Has anyone else been to West Bay? (Broadchurch)

No one?
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,597
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    I wonder whether Danny's other grandma will ever turn up? They said she lives in Wales, so not on the other side of the world or anything!

I was thinking that as it's a bit odd.

At least it was said why the tents are still up even tho the crime was not committed there.
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was Tanya Franks wasn't it?

Yes! Only in it for 10 seconds and she was by far the worst actor by a mile. Why does she always overact.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    I think theres something dodgy about him as well, altho I thnk Alec collapsed due to whatever illness he has, drinking too much wine, and taking his tablets late

I think David Tennant has Meniere's Disease. I work with somebody who has it and she has those symptoms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    My biggest question this week is why did the psychic guy (Will Mellor..what he's character name?) get so upset in the van after he was called a fraud etc?

Psychic Steve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My inference from the older journalist showing her the photo with a different name was that she had been in a different part of the UK with Jack and was obviously helping him with Sea Scouts at that time.(he was in the photo too wasn't he, or was I seeing things?).

They did say at the end Jack lived in Whitby once so maybe she was there with him
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the police would look into Jack's conviction for "sex with a minor" a bit more thoroughly? Was it a boy or a girl, and how old? My guess is that it was a girl aged 15 and that he wasn't much older than her, she was willing but her parents found out and went to the police. But for all we know, it could have been an 11 year old boy! If the police can't easily find out the truth of this, shouldn't they get him suspended from the Sea Brigade right away just to be on the safe side? I don't know whether they can do that officially but Ellie only needs to have a word with a few of the parents (who she will know from school), and he won't be allowed anywhere near the kids any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what is that woman doing pretending to be Alec's wife after she was having an affair with Mark? Is she trying to get it off with everyone in the village, and I wonder what she'll accidentally find out while doing so?

I don't think she had anything to do with Danny being murdered, just that she is a bit of a head-the-ball who has the need to be fancied by everyone with a p***s.
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Applebee wrote: »
    Anyone know if the church & graveyard has been CGI'd in the cliff shot?

No, the church and graveyard are both on the sea cliff walk in clevedon, north somerset.

I'm not sure about the unidentified land mass on the horizon when DT and OC were sat talking. If it was set in Dorset, then was it the isle of white, (rather than South Wales as it probably was!)
  • Options
    minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Surely the police would look into Jack's conviction for "sex with a minor" a bit more thoroughly? Was it a boy or a girl, and how old? My guess is that it was a girl aged 15 and that he wasn't much older than her, she was willing but her parents found out and went to the police. But for all we know, it could have been an 11 year old boy! If the police can't easily find out the truth of this, shouldn't they get him suspended from the Sea Brigade right away just to be on the safe side? I don't know whether they can do that officially but Ellie only needs to have a word with a few of the parents (who she will know from school), and he won't be allowed anywhere near the kids any more.

This was what I thought as it wasn't classed as rape. I was very surprised that the reporter found it and not the police, who would have conducted CRB checks on everyone as a matter of course.
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    I am confused! No idea yet who the murderer will be, I think the dad is very weird also his workmate, Pauline Quirkes character became very nasty last night and the priest is very odd also, little Tom knows more than we have been told so far, looking forward to next week, I really hope all the weeks of watching will turn out to be worth it
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Why are we now seeing Ollie's mum? A new part of the puzzle?

My guess is that Ollie will discover something relevant to the murder and will then be offered money to keep quiet....

He will need the money to help his mother, who seems to have debts ! and so he will not speak up with the info that he has
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I really enjoyed that. The sister's boyfriend wasn't in it and on that basis he's my 'suspect of the week'.

I rather fancied him as the murderer at the beginning...... stil think it could be him and they are * saving* him up for later episodes and just throwing all the red herrings in at the moment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the same token, how could she have been in Broadchurch all along and changed her name and not have anyone notice? .

My inference from the older journalist showing her the photo with a different name was that she had been in a different part of the UK with Jack and was obviously helping him with Sea Scouts at that time.(he was in the photo too wasn't he, or was I seeing things?).

I don't recall any scene in the present day where they have acted as if they know each other at all and none of the police have mentioned her running or helping with the current sea scouts, so it seems like something hidden from the past (along with her former name), but maybe I am reading too much into things.

That makes sense, if they were elsewhere , running the sea scouts and she was called Elaine at that time.
    Didnt Jack say he had only been in Broadchurch 5 years or so ?
    There has only been one scene between them, far as I remember, when Susan goes into the newsagents just as the national news reporter is leaving, after being unable to persuade Jack to give her any info.
    Will have to see if can re watch that bit for clues !
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The theory about Ellie's husband seems a good one. I just wonder if somewhere along the way someone is related to Jack and Quirke's character, and all the secrecy there will be about keeping that quite rather than about the murder.

And I'm assuming the priest maybe knows something, but feels bound by confidentiality rather than being involved himself.

Plus we know any scenes come the end of Coleman finding out will be brilliantly acted!

But actually I have no idea - it's not like there's only one guest star to be the killer of the week!
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect that when we find out who did it we will all be disappointed. This could be like one of those trips where you enjoy the journey very much up to and until you reach the destination.
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's now looking like a kind of child abuse ring starting to take shape. The Pauline Quirke photo with the sea cadets, along with the old newsagent guy, and her comment that she knows men who would rape you, the skateboard in her caravan, etc.

The baldy guy who works with the dad, maybe he was abused and became an abuser, and perhaps the minister was also abused and he now forms part of the ring. They're roughly about the same age, and so could have been abused as kids together. They've became part of the ring, and these people still have control over them.

I hope it's not going to turn out that the baldy guy who works with the father did it, as that's too close to The Killing.

Not totally given up on the supernatural theme, though, - Tennant keeps collapsing when taking pills and now drink, and that's perhaps how he topped himself after his last case.

Pauline Quirke's the evil one, an agent of the devil trying to capture their souls, and Tennant collapsed just shortly after she walked past him with her dog and wished him a good night. Also, when Quirke met the baldy guy, she said we're connected, me and you, so you can't avoid me. She wants him too, whatever he did.

The minister looking out over the town at four in the morning. His sermon to the community about 'we are perplexed, but not driven to despair. Hunted down, but never destroyed, never abandoned by God. The hardest thing for us to remember is we have not been abandoned by God. We are not destroyed, nor will we be.' The minister repeats these 'hunted, destroyed, not abandoned' themes a couple of times, with practically all the community there, except Quirke. She can't enter a church.

And psychic telephone guy who's also trying to lead them in the right direction, went into a strop out in his van when it looked like he'd failed in his quest to convince them. He's on a mission, is on the same side as the minister.Maybe they're not all dead. But those that are are recalling their former lives and creating their present reality around it, as the battle rages for their souls. That last shot of the landscape, spooky and ominous; portent of a disaster that's already happened.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Quote:
    We went to Broadchurch today - I mean where it was filmed Lovely scenery, but a biting cold wind.

Hope Rory is in the programme this evening.

Quote:
    Yes, he was.

Has anyone else been to West Bay? (Broadchurch)

No one?

I would recommend it, the scenery is beautiful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    My guess is that Ollie will discover something relevant to the murder and will then be offered money to keep quiet....

He will need the money to help his mother, who seems to have debts ! and so he will not speak up with the info that he has

That's a really good theory.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I think what I like atm is it's not so much a whodunit as a what-was-going-on-in-this-town ... and a large part of the answer to that was sitting on the stairs while the adults got pissed.

So .. the £500 tells us something was definitely afoot, the deleted messages tell us Ellie's son was in on it, the exchange between the plumbers mate and Quirke tell us they were involved in some sense.

Still quite interested in the vicar .... but it is all a bit like Cluedo atm.

Enjoyed the pace last night, and the depiction of what happens when national media become involved - that will also get far more unpleasant.

Nice distraction for a Monday evening - enjoying the journey.
This discussion has been closed.