Options

BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 53)

Comments

• Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    nowahalla wrote: »
    I suspect the plaster was stuck on by any one of the locals round here, I doubt that she's a family pet as her wounds were untreated, she's heavily pregnant and still a kitten herself ..and she's all skin and bone (and kitten) :( She's a good deal prettier than most feral cats to be honest, no mange, no gummy eyes and, unusually for here, she has a full tail - many of the local kitties have stumpy bits instead of tails... many of them do have those beautiful almond eyes and fine bone structure, this is old Siam after all :)
    Of course. :) I was forgetting for a moment.
    She will be stunning when she is in a proper home and well fed. I dont suppose there is a scheme like Arte has that relocates them to Britain?
  • Options
    nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheElf wrote: »
    Good morning everybody.

Still posting on the xbox, for some reason DS looks really cartoon-y. I'm not sure why nothing else does. Oh, well I can pretend I'm a super cool heroine in a Japanese Magical Girl show typing on my super-computer.

Regarding the Earth Hour - the whole thing seems quite counter productive to me. It's always done in the evening around the time people are either settling down for the night anyway OR not at home because they're at the pub or whatever.

Also, to my knowledgfe, It's not simultaneous around the globe, is it? Plus it does actually stipulate "non-essential" lights and electrical equipment. What's essential to one household or busniess may not be to another.

I would much prefer the idea if they managed to calculate the global busiest hour in the week for electricity useage, change the "rules" so that ALL electric items are switched off & did it then.

Incidentally I find it quite ironic that the best/easiest way to find out about Earth Hour is via the internet, when for years energy companies have been claiming computers and charging phones etc are the biggest use of power & the reason people's bills are sky high.
    Morning Elfy..has images of harajuku girls in my head now :D
    As far as I know earth hour is symbolic, and it's at different times so as to be night -time for each particular country in order to highlight/emphasise the whole 'lights-off' aspect i guess....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course. :) I was forgetting for a moment.
    She will be stunning when she is in a proper home and well fed. I dont suppose there is a scheme like Arte has that relocates them to Britain?

There is a large charity based primarily in Phuket (with a branch in BKK) called Soi Dogs but they don't rehome cats overseas, only dogs...:( they do try to find homes for the cats but there are so many that it's impossible really. The best they can do is their 'catch, neuter, release' in order to vaccinate and treat the cats so that what life they do have is better....kitty is with a smaller outfit locally, called PAWS, which concentrates on cats...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good morning everybody.

Still posting on the xbox, for some reason DS looks really cartoon-y. I'm not sure why nothing else does. Oh, well I can pretend I'm a super cool heroine in a Japanese Magical Girl show typing on my super-computer.

Regarding the Earth Hour - the whole thing seems quite counter productive to me. It's always done in the evening around the time people are either settling down for the night anyway OR not at home because they're at the pub or whatever.

Also, to my knowledgfe, It's not simultaneous around the globe, is it? Plus it does actually stipulate "non-essential" lights and electrical equipment. What's essential to one household or busniess may not be to another.

I would much prefer the idea if they managed to calculate the global busiest hour in the week for electricity useage, change the "rules" so that ALL electric items are switched off & did it then.

Incidentally I find it quite ironic that the best/easiest way to find out about Earth Hour is via the internet, when for years energy companies have been claiming computers and charging phones etc are the biggest use of power & the reason people's bills are sky high.

Pubs should always have candles in my opinion. It was great in the seventies. My friend with the giant afro overdid the hairspray and leaned over the candle. WUMP! :D
  • Options
    TheElfTheElf Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning Elfy..has images of harajuku girls in my head now :D
    As far as I know earth hour is symbolic, and it's at different times so as to be night -time for each particular country in order to highlight/emphasise the whole 'lights-off' aspect i guess....:)

Hello Halla :),

It may well be "symbolic" - in the same way people will buy red noses for Comic Relief. It could be seen as a bold statement in a similar way.

But I think the point in the excercise is lost in translation to so many people (same could be said for Comic Relief). If the WWF really want to raise awareness about climate change/global warming perhaps they could be a little more forthright in what needs to be done on a more practical day to day basis rather than a half-hearted annual compaign that makes people think they're saving a load of electricity?

It's nice that so many people clearly care about Earth to take part, but like I say it's counter productive because nearly all those people will go back to their usual electricity habits for the next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pubs should always have candles in my opinion. It was great in the seventies. My friend with the giant afro overdid the hairspray and leaned over the candle. WUMP! :D

Hahahah WUMP! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello Halla :),

It may well be "symbolic" - in the same way people will buy red noses for Comic Relief. It could be seen as a bold statement in a similar way.

But I think the point in the excercise is lost in translation to so many people (same could be said for Comic Relief). If the WWF really want to raise awareness about climate change/global warming perhaps they could be a little more forthright in what needs to be done on a more practical day to day basis rather than a half-hearted annual compaign that makes people think they're saving a load of electricity?

It's nice that so many people clearly care about Earth to take part, but like I say it's counter productive because nearly all those people will go back to their usual electricity habits for the next year.
    To be honest, it's not you or I as individuals who are the problem....bit of a 'fart against thunder' moment...but at least it gets people talking about it for a day or two...and the newspapers get to print pretty before/during pictures of big buildings:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incidentally, I am still none the wiser as to who the 'real woman' was from that link yesterday as the website concerned has yet to publish the answer....wish they'd hurry up, enquiring minds need to know.....
  • Options
    Flora PosteFlora Poste Posts: 18,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incidentally, I am still none the wiser as to who the 'real woman' was from that link yesterday as the website concerned has yet to publish the answer....wish they'd hurry up, enquiring minds need to know.....

Make sure you print the answer, I am banking on No.3 although think I was the only one entering into the spirit of it, saddo that I am :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good morning everybody.

Morning Elfy, if you are still there :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure you print the answer, I am banking on No.3 although think I was the only one entering into the spirit of it, saddo that I am :D

Morning Flora :) no worries, as soon as they put it up, I'll let you know... I honestly couldn't call it, possibly no7 at a pinch but I'll bet I'm wrong :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How clever is this :D shadows of junk....:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning Elfy, if you are still there :D

Morning Flora, I'm still around. How are you doing? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Mind boggling. :eek:
  • Options
    minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member

Wow, those are amazing :cool:
  • Options
    MootleMootle Posts: 35,232
    Forum Member
    greetings peeps :)

still fffreezing here, but improving.
  • Options
    Forum Member

WOW!! that is amazing!:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning Flora, I'm still around. How are you doing? :)

Doing good thanks Elfy, hope same goes for you :D
    Mootle wrote: »
    greetings peeps :)

still fffreezing here, but improving.

Morning Moots :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing good thanks Elfy, hope same goes for you :D

Morning Moots :D

I'm good thanks. Absolutely cold though and it's supposed to get colder I believe.

Morning... well... afternoon Moots. How is your new little puppy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello Flora and Elfy :)
    Rupert wasn't too good yesterday - he kept shivering and wouldn't eat. I took him to the v e t who couldn't find anything wrong apart from a slightly low temperature, thus further underlining my role as an Anxious Mum :o
    he had his first vaccination and is full of beans today!
  • Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member

I can't imagine how you even begin with something liike that - very impressive!
    Mootle wrote: »
    Hello Flora and Elfy :)
    Rupert wasn't too good yesterday - he kept shivering and wouldn't eat. I took him to the v e t who couldn't find anything wrong apart from a slightly low temperature, thus further underlining my role as an Anxious Mum :o
    he had his first vaccination and is full of beans today!

Rupert is totally gorgeous Moots, it can't be easy to keep him warm and out of harms way - if he lived with us OH would have trodden/sat/dropped heavy stuff on him more than once:rolleyes:

Afternoon all - still very cold here but snow is finally thawing in most places. Wind absolutely bitter, I can't remember it being so cold for a long long time.

I saw some of the poor farmers on the news lat night trying to dig out their sheep. Some ewes had lambed under the snow and the lambs had died within minutes of birth, heart breaking for the farmers.

I can't see the pictures of your rescue halla but she sounds adorable. Couldn't you get rid of OH and keep the kitty?;)
  • Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Morning Flora :) no worries, as soon as they put it up, I'll let you know... I honestly couldn't call it, possibly no7 at a pinch but I'll bet I'm wrong :D

I don't have a clue, but I'd like to know the answer and go back for another look!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homework/dinner/peacekeeping skills required:D
    gotta go now :)

will leave you with this teaser....which one's the real woman..??:D

ttfn

.....and the prize goes to Flora:D:D

'And the answer is….. #3. Praew, pic no. 3,is the only real woman. The other six are all ladyboys.Besides studying at university in Bangkok, Praew also works as a fashion model'
    from the website.....
  • Options
    minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    I can't imagine how you even begin with something liike that - very impressive!

Rupert is totally gorgeous Moots, it can't be easy to keep him warm and out of harms way - if he lived with us OH would have trodden/sat/dropped heavy stuff on him more than once:rolleyes:

Afternoon all - still very cold here but snow is finally thawing in most places. Wind absolutely bitter, I can't remember it being so cold for a long long time.

I saw some of the poor farmers on the news lat night trying to dig out their sheep. Some ewes had lambed under the snow and the lambs had died within minutes of birth, heart breaking for the farmers.

I can't see the pictures of your rescue halla but she sounds adorable. Couldn't you get rid of OH and keep the kitty?;)

Tragic for the sheep and farmers JoJo :(

So pleased Denners sold off his stock before the winter

Rupert sounds such a cutie Moots :cool:
  • Options
    HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    None here yet, but we still have a few patches of snow in the garden. Are we supposed to have more snow today?
    .....and the prize goes to Flora:-D:-D

'And the answer is….. #3. Praew, pic no. 3,is the only real woman. The other six are all ladyboys.Besides studying at university in Bangkok, Praew also works as a fashion model'
    from the website.....
    I suppose we should have realised they don't have many red heads in Thailand.
This discussion has been closed.