Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Most soaps go through a bad period. Eastenders is not in its best period but I think some changes are better than last years work and are noticable. Coronation street had a difficult time also before brian park came in at one point in its history.

With the exception of the storyline surrounding Den's murder in 2005 and the last six months of 2007, EastEnders has been going through a bad period since 2003.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This post really made me LOL!!! Typical childish comeback....
    I think what the poster was aiming at is that once upon a time EE was the most watched soap - something Emmerdale never has been... Emmerdale's audience stays stable week in week out... Eastenders doesnt.
    And YES actually Emmerdale DID beat Eastenders in the ratings on Friday by around 300,000 viewers.

I think you wil find that corri has normally been top soap most of the time not just at this moment. Plus don't want to be a smart ass or nothing but the reason ED won fri was because EE was against an England match. So your post made me lol to :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member
    I think you wil find that corri has normally been top soap most of the time not just at this moment. Plus don't want to be a smart ass or nothing but the reason ED won fri was because EE was against an England match. So your post made me lol to :)

And most eastenders fans watch football.... LOL ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member

Im a corrie fan but look through the history books.... EE ratings are usually on a par with Corrie.... In recent times Corrie has thrashed EE....
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Um no ED didn't beat them EE was higher. Plus to be fair yes EE has dropped in the ratings but at the moment at least it's stil staying consistent within the 7mil-8mil ratings plus the gang storyline is pretty good. The way some of you make EE out you think it was constantly dropping which isn't the case, and if anything if any soap was to go it would be ED as that's even lower in ratings.
    The gang storyline is horrible and Emmerdale has always behind EE and Corrie, so I don't see your point.
    Why do you feel the need to stick up for it as if a slight against the show is a slight against you?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The gang storyline is horrible and Emmerdale has always behind EE and Corrie, so I don't see your point.

Why do you feel the need to stick up for it as if a slight against the show is a slight against you?

Yes, the gang storyline is horrid. The way it came about was dire. Now if Dot had been the victim of gangs and the arrival of the gang had been gradual and favourite characters were genuinely affected by it, then I can see a purpose of it. But they just appeared one day and terrorised Tamwar. As a result Massood had turned into an idiotic buffoon and Liam has become some vigilante outlaw all happening in a space of a few episodes. EastEnders has lost its way. At the moment its pretty unwatchable and the cast just look like they're going through the motions.
  • Options
    MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Coro is the far superior soap, the ensemble cast that just seem to want to be there and masterful structuring and layering of storylines ... it's leagues away from EastEnders which is nearly a sitcom now with an increasingly unrecognisable cast. Shame as in 1998-2001 EastEnders was hallmark British TV.

Consider Corrie as Waitrose, and EastEnders as Lidl.

What is this nonsense? These are soaps. They are the dictionary definition of mass-produced trash TV. All of them are on par with Lidl.

I enjoy soaps sometimes as much as the next person, but putting something as dreadful as Coronation Street on such a high pedestal is embarrassing.

Hollyoaks continues to outperform Corrie in quality, and it doesn't require a spike in ratings to suddenly deserve praise!
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is...it seems to be a never ending bad period.

Surely the problems are with the BBC?
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Death in Paradise also in the same ballpark. Indeed, I think DIP currently stands above Broadchurch in the 2013 chart, admittedly not for much longer.

People either have short memories or talk nonsense...

Death In Paradise settled around the 6m mark in the overnights and around 7.5m in the officials, so still a good million (more in the officials) below Broadchurch.

Also that was series 2 of DIP. I said 'new drama' ie. first series.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To b fair I could say the the same to you as you constantly slag EE off even when it is actually good.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV2 Roman Inbetweeners - 840k
    sorry I mean Plebs - 743k
    Great rating for a debut of a digital comedy - I think Inbetweeners itself only launched around the 300k mark IIRC. Wasn't too bad a show either - did exactly what it said on the tin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What Broadchurch demonstrates is how great a draw a solo strong drama series can be. All channels are showing nothing of significance on Mondays at 9pm except ITV. So naturally the audience wander to the place where they can catch good drama. And, from what I can tell, Broadchurch is a good drama.

But, these figures can't be assumed to be phenomenal. They are good figures because there is nothing else to dent it. Shetland failed to dent it because the first part was dull so many didn't bother watching the second part. Mayday however did give it a run for its money. Since then there has been the BBC1 filler Cops programme that doesn't matter how well it performs. It's cheap, reliable filler that can be wheeled out in a hasty schedule to fill kind of way. Had BBC1 put a strong drama or something like The Apprentice on, then Broadchurch may not be the runaway success it currently is. It would be a success still, I am not disputing this, but the power of strong lead ins is what ITV are experts at. The BBC are still trying to catch up in this respect.

ITV really do know how to take advantage of weak opposition. Rip Off Britain against a superb Corrie episode. A good, strong drama against a "seen it all before" Motorway Cops episode. It is hardly a surprise that ITV is winning. I wonder what the ratings would have been if Broadchurch was against Mrs. Browns' Boys?
    Score wrote: »
    Death In Paradise settled around the 6m mark in the overnights and around 7.5m in the officials, so still a good million (more in the officials) below Broadchurch.

Also that was series 2 of DIP. I said 'new drama' ie. first series.

My original post above may provide interesting reading for you. Death in Paradise often had a 4 million rating footie match to compete with, and when Mayday was shown the first episode of Broadchurch was significantly lower.
  • Options
    Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a fan of EE since I was 11 and believe me, seeing it being trashed around by fans and well respected TV lovers makes me sad. Its not good at the moment, and I agree that if the BBC continue to neglect it, it will do damage to the corporation and the channel in the long run.

Newman needs to go. Bring back Tony McHale as Executive Producer as well as some classic writers as well as ones that can write decent material and deliver a solid script.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ED has a strong stable audience, EE has dropped three million in the last few years thanks to clueless production teams and two very poor excuses for EP's. Corrie is ahead and deservedly so due to the high profile plots, EE has been treading water for the last three years trying not to drown in a mess of its own making. Newman's appointment has been a disaster, they should have went for an outside hire instead of promoting someone well above their competency level as EP, time she was booted.

And the gang storyline is dire, but then again its just another in a long list of dreary plots that irritate.

Totally agree. Cannot understand Newman's promotion as it was clear she was part of the production team that were heavily ctiticised during their tenure with the show and nothing was going to change by putting her in charge. There are no real gritty storylines and plots are simply meandering forwards. Last night a lot of the episode was taken up by the terrible Gang storyline and the nonsense of a lost property auction.Childrens television would have provided more fruitful drama.
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the last couple of pages should have a 'cut and paste' into the soap forum...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »
    Perhaps the last couple of pages should have a 'cut and paste' into the soap forum...

See your point but as EastEnders' ratings are gradually declining it is worthy to have the subject discussed in the ratings thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Totally agree. Cannot understand Newman's promotion as it was clear she was part of the production team that were heavily ctiticised during their tenure with the show and nothing was going to change by putting her in charge. There are no real gritty storylines and plots are simply meandering forwards. Last night a lot of the episode was taken up by the terrible Gang storyline and the nonsense of a lost property auction.Childrens television would have provided more fruitful drama.

Yes. The lost property auction. Unless it's going to lead into something brilliant (which I doubt) what the hell was the point?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will we see a shake up at BBC One soon? With the Eastenders ratings going down :D
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Press Centre ‏@itvpresscentre 10s
    Confirmed: Classic game show Catchphrase is back. Hosted by @StephenMulhern Starts 6.45pm Sunday 7 April http://itv.co/Yy4SPA
    3:03 PM - 26 Mar 13
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    ITV Press Centre ‏@itvpresscentre 10s
    Confirmed: Classic game show Catchphrase is back. Hosted by @StephenMulhern Starts 6.45pm Sunday 7 April http://itv.co/Yy4SPA
    3:03 PM - 26 Mar 13

Let me guess...its celeb nonsense instead of us plebs participating :rolleyes:
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broadchurch episode 3 timeshifted to 9.6 million, including +1: https://twitter.com/ChrisChibnall/status/316543356245258240
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me guess...its celeb nonsense instead of us plebs participating :rolleyes:

The article states there is one celeb edition in the nine part series.

I wonder if they will be lazy and just watch old tapes for ideas, instead of thinking up new catchphrases and pictures?
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of celebs, C4 are using the post-Grand National slot to launch Davina McCalls new show Five Minutes to a Fortune, which will air celeb specials at the weekend and daily regular people editions at 5pm on weekdays. It doesn't escape the daytime competition at the weekend either - it launches head to head with Pointless and clashes with the end of a repeat of The Chase.

Bothers Bar have reviewed it quite favourably but it's arguably airing in the toughest slot in television at the moment. Endemol are also beginning to sell hit Italian format "Next One Forward" around the world so be interesting to see where that lands - ITV or C4 probably the favourites depending on whether Endemol are looking towards primetime or daytime. It would be worth a try in the Deal or No Deal slot really and it could work for daytime with a fairly large jackpot as it's "21 Questions wrong" end game is difficult to beat.
  • Options
    Daily LivingDaily Living Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Talking of celebs, C4 are using the post-Grand National slot to launch Davina McCalls new show Five Minutes to a Fortune, which will air celeb specials at the weekend and daily regular people editions at 5pm on weekdays. It doesn't escape the daytime competition at the weekend either - it launches head to head with Pointless and clashes with the end of a repeat of The Chase.

Bothers Bar have reviewed it quite favourably but it's arguably airing in the toughest slot in television at the moment. Endemol are also beginning to sell hit Italian format "Next One Forward" around the world so be interesting to see where that lands - ITV or C4 probably the favourites depending on whether Endemol are looking towards primetime or daytime. It would be worth a try in the Deal or No Deal slot really and it could work for daytime with a fairly large jackpot as it's "21 Questions wrong" end game is difficult to beat.

That is a tough slot to launch in. I fear with the aforementioned seven days a week slot, this, like McCall's predecessor show The Million Pound Drop Live could go into overkill and lose viewers in the process. It was something like ten series of TMPDL in total! I mean...in two years?

I hope it starts off with atleast a million though, and although I don't know the format of the show, I can sort of take a few things from the title. Good luck to the show I say, and I am actually looking forward to it for other reasons, such as: The Chase and Pointless bore me to death now.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,236
    Forum Member
    I know yesterday's episode of The Chase was a repeat, but how well did it rate?

Great consolidation for Broadchurch there.
This discussion has been closed.