Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    This is hilarious. How's James Henry doing? Keep up the good work, Renee :D;)

Thank-you. And thanks for the idea! :cool::)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    My '54' is for my birth year - 1854... :)

Are you a vampire, Rob? I never knew! Maybe you just consider yourself an 'old soul' which would place you in good company, I suspect, among other DM fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    PLM wrote: »
    I recently watched Poldark, initially shown (and very well received) about 35 years ago on BBC and PBS in the US. A DVD has been re-released recently by Acorn. The series is set in Cornwall near the end of the 18th century and uses many locations there. The house of the main character, Ross Poldark, is named Nampara and Roscarrock Farm (now the location of the barn housing the interior of the surgery and production facilities) is used for its exterior. Doyden Castle (the final scene of series 5 of DM) is used as the home of Dwight Enys, a fairly important character. There is also a short scene in series one set in Port Isaac.

In series two a fairly important character is named Morwenna--played by Jane Wymark, now best known as Joyce Barnaby, wife of the lead detective in Midsomer Murders. (Morwenna was a 6th century Cornish saint.)

Finally, for those who love to hate Lia Williams (not her personally, but her character Edith Montgomery), she appears as a rather folorn spinster academic in "Rambling Boy" the second installment of Inspector Lewis series 7--broadcast in the UK but yet to be shown in the US.

None of the above directly relates to Doc Martin but are "emanations" that might be of interest to some.

Not as weird as seeing Carrie Wilson play Pilate's wife in the HIstory channel's new mini-series "the Bible". Well, it could have been worse; she could have been Mary Magdalene.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Attention: The Series 6 blogspot has been set up!:D:D :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies - it must have been a test run and I happened to search for it and it appeared. Trying again, It has somehow vanished for me.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as weird as seeing Carrie Wilson play Pilate's wife in the HIstory channel's new mini-series "the Bible". Well, it could have been worse; she could have been Mary Magdalene.

Thanks poorrichard for my first laugh of the day! Oh, delight!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here it is -- but be warned, "54's" and others of their ilk -- it contains and will contain spoilers or spoiler-ish info.

http://docmartinseries6.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Here it is -- but be warned, "54's" and others of their ilk -- it contains and will contain spoilers or spoiler-ish info.

http://docmartinseries6.blogspot.com/

Interesting that it mentions this "Catherdral of the Moor" that they discovered will be used for filming. The original article says that we have seen it before - it was used for the non-wedding in S3.

That is not true. This church is in Altarnun. The exterior of the church in S3 was in Lanteglos (just outside of Camelford) and the interior was shot in the church in St Mabyn. Every reference I have seen to this article quotes the incorrect information about the S3 church.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now to the dark side...

This weekend try and watch
    Series 5 e1
    Preserve the Romance

Director: Ben Bolt
    Writer: Ben Bolt

Curmudgeonly GP Martin Ellingham's plans to resume his career as a consultant in London are put on hold with the birth of the baby he fathered with his now estranged partner, Louisa Glasson.
    At the surgery, new GP Dr Diana Dibbs is excited to begin work, but Martin begins to have serious doubts about her competency after she misdiagnoses patients and dishes out prescriptions for totally inappropriate drugs. Pauline has been sacked, moved away and replaced as receptionist by the new doctor's husband, much to Dr Ellingham's shock. Later, Ellingham receives some devastating news: the day previously when drving over Bodmin Moor to visit Louisa in hospital with the new baby, Aunt Joan has passed away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Interesting that it mentions this "Catherdral of the Moor" that they discovered will be used for filming. The original article says that we have seen it before - it was used for the non-wedding in S3.

That is not true. This church is in Altarnun. The exterior of the church in S3 was in Lanteglos (just outside of Camelford) and the interior was shot in the church in St Mabyn. Every reference I have seen to this article quotes the incorrect information about the S3 church.

Wonder where the original reporter got their info? Why don't you see if you can email him/her? Or anybody got a line to Johnny Bamford himself? Ooh, ooh, I just found an email for him johnnyb1@btconnect.com
    Go for it Shop Girl!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having followed the discussion recently about S4 (Doc's words to Louisa while she's giving birth), I do remember also that before Doc busts in with his explosion of words,
    LG: "I think I did the wrong thing. .. I mean it is his baby after all. ... I've changed my mind. ... No, I mean about him.... Let him in." (while paramedic delightfully misunderstands her meaning)
    Doc enters.
    LG: "Please, come here." (Seems like she relented and decided to let him be part of baby.)

Love Pauline being the wise woman again: "You know what she's like, she'll change her mind."

Doc and LG both seem to wholeheartedly come together in the KISS, absolute love, everything in it--no holding back on either part.

Just paid attention to LG's simple acceptance it seems in her "He has a little problem with blood." We sure want her to be more understanding in other ways, too. (But also love the puzzled look on the paramedic's face when she says it!)

Forgot that Aunt Joan did actually get to hear the birth and know it was a boy, even though she died before getting to see him. I guess that's why the blue baby outfit in the bag at her house. (There's a timeline we don't know--between the baby's birth and AJ's death, I think.)

LG: "Don't worry, you'll get used to him eventually." Seemingly said to the baby when he squalls about Doc, but it could have been meant for Doc about the baby.

OOOOOHHHHH, just such clever writing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having followed the discussion recently about S4 (Doc's words to Louisa while she's giving birth), I do remember also that before Doc busts in with his explosion of words,
    LG: "I think I did the wrong thing. .. I mean it is his baby after all. ... I've changed my mind. ... No, I mean about him.... Let him in." (while paramedic delightfully misunderstands her meaning)
    Doc enters.
    LG: "Please, come here." (Seems like she relented and decided to let him be part of baby.)

Love Pauline being the wise woman again: "You know what she's like, she'll change her mind."

Doc and LG both seem to wholeheartedly come together in the KISS, absolute love, everything in it--no holding back on either part.

Just paid attention to LG's simple acceptance it seems in her "He has a little problem with blood." We sure want her to be more understanding in other ways, too. (But also love the puzzled look on the paramedic's face when she says it!)

Forgot that Aunt Joan did actually get to hear the birth and know it was a boy, even though she died before getting to see him. I guess that's why the blue baby outfit in the bag at her house. (There's a timeline we don't know--between the baby's birth and AJ's death, I think.)

LG: "Don't worry, you'll get used to him eventually." Seemingly said to the baby when he squalls about Doc, but it could have been meant for Doc about the baby.

OOOOOHHHHH, just such clever writing!

One more thought: the baby cries after Doc hands him back to Louisa and after she makes the "Don't worry..." comment, not while Doc's holding him in that most unusual but precious grip he has on the bundle of joy. And, oh, my--that look on Doc's face--that alone seems a game-changer for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr, Dibbs seems to use fluoxetine (Prozac) as a tranqulizer, as some people use Xanax. Mona, is this now thought to be a use of Prozac? To my knowledge, its effects take a while to build up, (often weeks) and while it helps with anxiety as well as depression (I am told, but maybe wrongly) it can't be effective as a sort of "one-off." I'm wondering what Martin Scurri knows about current practice that I don't -- maybe things have changed in the last few years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a little update for all of you who so kindly offered me your prayers and support at the end of last year.

Our Llttle Millie is hanging on in there; almost 2 1/2 now.

She is being treated with MMF; mostly stabilised; has regained her sight & hearing; can speak half a dozen words and roll over when she is on the floor. She can eat baby-type foods but still has her NG tube in place.

She spends most of her time at home, apart from the occasional ' wobble ' when she is hospitalised briefly.

Please continue to remember Millie and all on Team Millie who support her and her family

Thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Just a little update for all of you who so kindly offered me your prayers and support at the end of last year.

Our Llttle Millie is hanging on in there; almost 2 1/2 now.

She is being treated with MMF; mostly stabilised; has regained her sight & hearing; can speak half a dozen words and roll over when she is on the floor. She can eat baby-type foods but still has her NG tube in place.

She spends most of her time at home, apart from the occasional ' wobble ' when she is hospitalised briefly.

Please continue to remember Millie and all on Team Millie who support her and her family

Thank you

Hello Blue-eyes,
    I'm so glad you updated us about Millie. I was just wondering about her the other day. Two and 1/2 years old almost, and Look at all she can do now. That is Fantastic! I'm sure I can speak for all of us in continuing to hope for the best for Millie. :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S-5, Ep-1: Preserve The Romance
    One of the best episodes of Series 5, I think. I always thought it was so sweet of Louisa to stay & wait for Martin at the end of the episode. She didn't have to do that. She could have gone back to her cottage. The baby probably could have used a diaper change by then.
    She looks at the Doc so lovingly, and he looks at her with such a dumb look on his face. I always wished he could have looked at her with more "Something!"
    That poor baby. Doc Martin and Penhale don't know how to support a baby's neck very well. Typical male. :rolleyes:

Corrected misspelt word.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Dr, Dibbs seems to use fluoxetine (Prozac) as a tranqulizer, as some people use Xanax. Mona, is this now thought to be a use of Prozac? To my knowledge, its effects take a while to build up, (often weeks) and while it helps with anxiety as well as depression (I am told, but maybe wrongly) it can't be effective as a sort of "one-off." I'm wondering what Martin Scurri knows about current practice that I don't -- maybe things have changed in the last few years.

Hello, NewPark.

Yes, it can take up to 4-6 weeks for Prozac to work in depression or anxiety but it's not the first SSRI given nowadays, anyway. In some it might start working much sooner. (That is, if you review all the studies on SSRIs from decades ago, in a beta analysis, they do not show they are at all better than placebo. But, don't tell the drug companies that--they make bazillions on them.)

I think this is just another Portwenn thing.

However, it is very true that one should not mix beta blockers in asthma patients; it can absolutely worsen their asthma as we saw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    S-5, Ep-1: Preserve The Romance
    One of the best episodes of Series 5, I think. I always thought it was so sweet of Louisa to stay & wait for Martin at the end of the episode. She didn't have to do that. She could have gone back to her cottage. The baby probably could have used a diaper change by then.
    She looks at the Doc so lovingly, and he looks at her with such a dumb look on his face. I always wished he could have looked at her with more "Something!"
    That poor baby. Doc Martin and Penhale don't know how to support a baby's neck very well. Typical male. :rolleyes:

Corrected misspelt word.

I also enjoyed this episode because spent quite a bit of time dealing with the baby and I was soooo happy that they both came to stay with the baby together, even though for only a while. Sorry long message ahead. Alot to love;)

1. Absolutely love the scene when Martin is pushing the wheelchair makes an extreme right turn at the hospital when he notices the "village" at the desk asking for Louisa Glassen. Great reaction by CC
    2. "Who's the Daddy," look from DM
    3. "They have babies in America" He has a great look on his face when he says "Well"
    4. As discussed in this forum extensively they hadn't had many nights together, yet the way that they dealt with being in bed together was great. There didn't seem to be any awkwardness. It was purely convenience. They were there for JH :yawn:
    5. Joe in the shower scene is priceless;)
    6. DM's reaction when Dr. Dibbs asks DM the fisherman's name who fell. :D
    7. Kerfuffle? (is this how you spell it?) love this word. Had never heard it before and now I use it whenever I can.
    8. Joe's delicate handling of the fatality. Well written without being sappy.:cry:
    9. Louisa could have given him a hug at least!:roll eyes:
    10. The best scene in this episode was the "perenium" scene in the shop. I laugh out loud everytime I see it. Brilliant. Great comedic timing between CC & MC.:eek:
    11. "You don't seem on top of things. It's your funeral!":eek:
    12. Of course the Farm visit. :cry:
    13 "My Danglers" "Give us a minute Nigel" :o
    14. His assessment of everyone and their prescriptions in line at the pharmacy. Hilarious.
    15. And of course the last scene. It felt as if they were both in sync in this episode. And as we know it goes downhill from here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hello, NewPark.

Yes, it can take up to 4-6 weeks for Prozac to work in depression or anxiety but it's not the first SSRI given nowadays, anyway. In some it might start working much sooner. (That is, if you review all the studies on SSRIs from decades ago, in a beta analysis, they do not show they are at all better than placebo. But, don't tell the drug companies that--they make bazillions on them.)

I think this is just another Portwenn thing.

However, it is very true that one should not mix beta blockers in asthma patients; it can absolutely worsen their asthma as we saw.

Best Prozac poster ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also enjoyed this episode because spent quite a bit of time dealing with the baby and I was soooo happy that they both came to stay with the baby together, even though for only a while. Sorry long message ahead. Alot to love;)

9. Louisa could have given him a hug at least!:roll eyes:
    10. The best scene in this episode was the "perenium" scene in the shop. I laugh out loud everytime I see it. Brilliant. Great comedic timing between CC & MC.:eek:

Good list dmptrader. I liked the scene in the shop too -- especially when DM said "well, let's get you home then, I'll examine you." Truly weird on his part, but funny. Also, the interchange between the shopkeeper and Louisa -- "it feels like you've been mugged for weeks -- well, months, really" and Louisa's rather startled expression.

I still think it would have been inappropriate for Louisa to hug him at the moment he learned of AJ's death -- because he's a man who wants to keep his softer and more vulnerable side under control to the extent possible and to deal with getting himself under control in his own way. I don't think he would have welcomed touch at that moment (although of course, being human, at some level he would have) and Louisa respected his need to stay in control of hmself at this point.

In this episode they did a bit of reverse dialogue two times:
    once when DM says "may I stay?" which is reminiscent of the end of S3E1 when Louisa asks "may I stay?" and then when he is complaining about Dr. Dibbs incompetence to Louisa and she remarks about how difficult it must be to see someone else doing the job he does so well -- reminiscent of S4E2 in the classroom scene. I don't think they've done this again in later episodes.

In the telephone conversation DM has with Imperial -- someone pointed out once that his manner of speaking and demeanor is subtly different to the way he speaks to Portwennians -- it's clear he's speaking to people he considers "equals."

Finally, I enjoy the way he does doctor speak to Dr. Dibbs, giving an abbreviated version of "patient is a (gender, age,) who presents with etc., etc." when telling her about the fallen fisherman and Louisa's post-partum status.

(Don't Quote this message -- I've been careless about the QUOTE marks and now everything that quotes will be misattributed to the wrong poster.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that it is the first week of April, I am awaiting the first pictures to be posted by people who will be traveling to Port Isaac. I looked at the S5 blogspot and I don't find anything before the end of the first week of April, 2011. But, if memory serves me correctly, there were a few posted before then but since removed (or I can't find them). Lucky you who will be making a trip there during the filming of Series 6. I am wondering if when any dialogue that occurs outside in the episodes that the crew will keep the crowds back so that they can't hear what is being said. In a few instances, the fans did pick up and posted them but even then not much clue as to the storyline. I am fine with seeing the pictures and comments during filming but one thing I don't want to know is the last 10 minutes of episode 8. I am hoping they leave the door ajar so that maybe there will be a Series 7.:):)
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    The thing I enjoyed most is this episode is the natural dialogue between DM & LG. Just discussing day to day things without any tensions of the romance. Made me far more optimistic of the direction of the series than was warranted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Doc Martin family seen other places

I watched Mr Selfridge last night on my local PBS station and saw two members of the Doc Martin cast - Amanda Abbington who played Isobel - the maid of honor, and Tom Goodman-Hall, Mark from the Crab.
    'Isobel' was familiar but I could not pin it down she looks so aged/different in Mr Selfridge, I had to go on IMDB.
    Also, Holly is going to be in an episode of Call the Midwife, S2E3.
    I generally don't really notice (or care about) American actors moving from one role to another but with the DM cast, they all seem like friends and family so I always notice.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think it would have been inappropriate for Louisa to hug him at the moment he learned of AJ's death -- because he's a man who wants to keep his softer and more vulnerable side under control to the extent possible and to deal with getting himself under control in his own way. I don't think he would have welcomed touch at that moment (although of course, being human, at some level he would have) and Louisa respected his need to stay in control of hmself at this point.

I feel again that LG has to set the emotional tone in this relationship. If she is upset that DM doesn't hug her later in the series, or touch her in a positive manner, she has to realize she did not do the same to him in his emotional need.

We don't need LG to be extravagant in her physical touching of him upon his hearing the news--she could just have sat next to him, and held his hand in comfort, leaned against him. But, by her not doing that, DM has learned no new signals for how to work with LG when she is getting upset during the series.

I mean, doesn't he reach out and touch the baby? He very well might have been aching for human contact then? Getting it from LG would have taught him something.

LG just standing there to me seemed very cold and distant as a new couple, with a new baby.

On the other hand, playing devil's advocate to myself, I think the only reason she did not physically reach out was because DM was leaving, they were still perhaps going to live separate lives, and the whole situation right then was Super Amazingly Awkward. Outside of that, I think LG should have reached out physically to him. But, I'm an American, and no doubt this sort of thing may be perceived differently on each side of the pond.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before series 4 was broadcast, I knew that AJ was going to die early in the series. I had hoped that it would give the producers an opportunity to have Louisa comfort Martin in some way. Since BP is so careful and pay great attention to detail, I'm sure there was extensive discussion about how Louisa would react to the news. So, for whatever reason they decided Caroline Catz play the scene the way she played it. Sometimes I am frustrated by the Director's/Actor's/Whoever's In Charge's choices and this was one of those times. I think it was a missed opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.