Options

DailyMail attack on Benefit&work webiste

Comments

• Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think this is good, bad or indifferent?
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan111 wrote: »

So where is this website and what is it called?

Or is this a the Daily Heil's idea of an April Fool joke...24 hours early?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    So where is this website and what is it called?

Or is this a the Daily Heil's idea of an April Fool joke...24 hours early?

DailyFAIL wrong again.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    It is a very good site , and allows people to have access to the rule and laws information, that the DWP are ment to work by, and does show that alot of the time the DWP are getting things wrong in law, they give the same information out that the CAB and wefare rights work by it the same books. And i can say it will help anyone who needs help in getting appeals information
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Benefits and Work will be suing the DM over that article, it is absolutely disgraceful

Anyone can read the forum there without paying. It is full of desperately ill and scared people.

It is absolutely NOT about advising people how to milk the system.

I just read their money back policy too, more outright lies from the DM.

With many welfare advisors being made redundant and Citizens Advice trying to operate with reduced funding and an overwhelming growth in people seeking their help, the Benefits and Work website is a godsend to people struggling to understand the complex system and terrified about their future.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Individuals would be better served going to their CAB or local authority, most of whom have welfare advisory services (although many scaled back due to cuts). There they can get free advice.

Something like £12bn across the welfare board goes unclaimed each year and this needs to be rectified.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    I think Benefits and Work will be suing the DM over that article, it is absolutely disgraceful

Anyone can read the forum there without paying. It is full of desperately ill and scared people.

It is absolutely NOT about advising people how to milk the system.

I just read their money back policy too, more outright lies from the DM.

With many welfare advisors being made redundant and Citizens Advice trying to operate with reduced funding and an overwhelming growth in people seeking their help, the Benefits and Work website is a godsend to people struggling to understand the complex system and terrified about their future.

they might not see this or read it,please can you contact that website and tell them about this on DailyFAIL, hopefully they sue them,
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Individuals would be better served going to their CAB or local authority, most of whom have welfare advisory services (although many scaled back due to cuts). There they can get free advice.

Something like £12bn across the welfare board goes unclaimed each year and this needs to be rectified.

In an ideal world I would agree, Biffo, but in some areas welfare rights advisors have been made redundant and citizens advice have 12 week waiting lists.

Alan111 i am sure they will see the article and respond appropriately.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    This is pretty desperate stuff even for the Daily Mail!

The website simply offers guidance to people regarding what is for many a very daunting and scary process. It advises people how to get their entitlement and does not encourage people to "milk" the disabled benefits system.

Given the huge government cutbacks in the area of welfare advice, this site could be the only source of expert advice for many.

The Mail, as usual, makes wild and totally unsubstantiated claims and they will be condemned by all decent people.

What the facts actually show is that the DLA caseload has risen because of our ageing population. The DWP's own figures show that the increase in claimant numbers since the start of the coalition has been:

16-64 - up 0.4%

under 16 - up 5.6%

65+ - up 9.1%

This story is yet another epic Daily Mail fail!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would be a very good idea if ATOS used the wesite, and saved the country millions pounds , that they cost in people having to go to appeals, to correct ATOS mistakes
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Google says you get same info elsewhere.

I found:

DLA Top Tips from Benefits and Work Site
    http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12521

So when Daily Mail says:
    Daily Mail wrote:
    Another ‘tip’ is ‘Dealing with “detective” doctors – stay silent until the pen stops moving.’

Actually this is advice on understanding what's going on and not sending mixed message which can be misunderstood:
    Advice wrote:
    But what you should do is watch the Chairperson's pen. Is it moving? If yes, then the Chair is still writing notes. The two other panel members know better than to start asking questions until the Chair has caught up. So they're just staring at you to pass the time. Watch the pen. When it stops moving and the Chair looks up, the questions will undoubtedly start again.

So usual misleading stuff from Daily Mail.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, questions need to be asked why the Daily Mail is using misinformation and lies to smear a legitimate website designed to help people claim what they are perfectly entitled to do? You have to question and demand the Daily Mail come out with what their final solution is for the welfare system in the UK. I'd hazard a guess at complete abolition of it for all but their readership.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misinformation and lies is the Daily Mail agenda- what else did you expect from that vile rag?
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course there is This vile woman :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Misinformation and lies is the Daily Mail agenda- what else did you expect from that vile rag?
    We know this, but what worries me are the millions who swallow their rubbish and its influence on Government policy.
  • Options
    walkabouterwalkabouter Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan111 wrote: »
    they might not see this or read it,please can you contact that website and tell them about this on DailyFAIL, hopefully they sue them,

Sue them for telling the truth?
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i read somewhere that there are websites, offices and jobcentres in every eastern european town and city giving all that info. for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Praise ye, it turns out that when Jesus rose from the dead at Easter, it wasn't Jesus that emerged, but Esther McVey MP, along with ATOS, capable of curing of all ills, both mental and physical and dismemberments.
  • Options
    katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »

whats vile about going after cheats and fraudsters? they are criminals. they are robbing you and me. they should be gone after.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katywil wrote: »
    whats vile about going after cheats and fraudsters? they are criminals. they are robbing you and me. they should be gone after.

The cheats are a very tiny proportion of those who will be affected the vast majority of whom are legitimate claimants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sue them for telling the truth?

And the web http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ is only giving out information, to people and is telling the truth they are not telling people how to milk the system only useing and showing people the rules and laws that, the DWP use and breaking it down it to plain english for people to understand. Dont see a problem myself,
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katywil wrote: »
    Because it's not the cheats & fraudsters who lose out - they are the ones who already know this sort of thing inside out, far better than anyone in the DWP.

As usual it's the people who need the money who lose out as they get rejected for admitting that occasionally they can open a bottle of milk proving they are fit for work on oil rigs.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cheats are a very tiny proportion of those who will be affected the vast majority of whom are legitimate claimants.

Remember though that according to the right, there's no such thing as a legitimate claimant, only "scroungers" and "shirkers".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We should thank the dailymail for Advertising a very good site, a advert like this would have cost them thousands of pounds,
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    god people with a left hand agenda are quite vile :(